#81 Blackfang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 766 posts
  • LocationComing to a planet near you!

Posted 08 September 2014 - 11:33 PM

View PostWill9761, on 31 July 2014 - 08:45 PM, said:

How are you guys doing in the Heavy Gear world? Are you enjoying it?

Yes I am!

#82 Training Instructor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 09 September 2014 - 03:27 AM

I've looked into it. Thinking of buying in. At least Mektek knew to call an arena game an arena game from the beginning, with the possibility of adding more content later, rather than calling an arena game a battlefield simulation, and failing to add anything resembling that for over two years and counting. I think we all know which mech game I'm talking about, right?

#83 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 09 September 2014 - 11:14 AM

View PostTurist0AT, on 08 September 2014 - 02:38 PM, said:

As an old heavy gear fan (unlike every BT fan here). This looks like another arena shooter. BUT they do promise compaign at least.
Hope it will be good. What game engine do they use?

View PostTraining Instructor, on 09 September 2014 - 03:27 AM, said:

I've looked into it. Thinking of buying in. At least Mektek knew to call an arena game an arena game from the beginning, with the possibility of adding more content later, rather than calling an arena game a battlefield simulation, and failing to add anything resembling that for over two years and counting. I think we all know which mech game I'm talking about, right?

The thing is, they (Stompy/MekTek) are using the current duelist/arena form of the Heavy Gear TT game (that is, Heavy Gear Arena) as the basis for Heavy Gear Assault, rather than the current wargame campaign form (that is, Heavy Gear Blitz). This would give HGA a very different feel to MWO; the HGA "dueling circuit" design is much more similar to BattleTech's Solaris environment, while MWO's Community Warfare is ultimately geared more toward the "military campaign" environment.

However, HGA does present the possibility of an offline single-player campaign mode set during the beginning of the conflict called "the War of the Alliance".
(Also, there is a wiki - which is still very much a work-in-progress - available here, for those interested in reading-up about the universe, the Gears, and the weapons & equipment used by said Gears.)

As Vulix stated, they (Stompy/MekTek) are going with Unreal Engine 4 for HGA.
Additionally: between the Gear Skeleton system, the Modular Plate system (which, along with general modularity & customizability, is also discussed at length in the Kong podcast here), and modularity of internal systems (including the ability to change out actuator sets, hydraulics sets, HUD modules, and engines/powerplants; see here), Stompy & MekTek are apparently aiming for a very high degree of Gear customizability.

That being said, HGA is (at the time of this writing) still very much in its alpha stage.
And, as stated by one of the devs, "When we say alpha, we really mean alpha. There will be bugs, incomplete or lacking features, virtually everything will be subject to change, and even experimental features which may come or go." As a result, there is an NDA in effect for those participating in the HGA alpha, so there is a limit on the amount of detailed information that would be widely available regarding the alpha's current progress.

#84 Torgun

• 1,598 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 12:40 PM

Saw some videos on youtube and frankly I was really unimpressed if the videos are as recent as their upload date 2-3 months ago.

#85 Vulix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • LocationSouthwest USA

Posted 09 September 2014 - 04:26 PM

Not sure which videos you saw, but the game only went closed alpha in mid-late July. Everything released before that was mostly prototyping or developer-only alpha as far as I know

#86 Torgun

• 1,598 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 04:44 PM

View PostVulix, on 09 September 2014 - 04:26 PM, said:

Not sure which videos you saw, but the game only went closed alpha in mid-late July. Everything released before that was mostly prototyping or developer-only alpha as far as I know

I searched Heavy gear assault on youtube and sorted out the newest videos, and what I saw really didn't look very interesting. Maybe things will improve a lot in say 6 months, who knows.

#87 Vulix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • LocationSouthwest USA

Posted 09 September 2014 - 04:51 PM

This was the latest screenshot they've put out, no recent video as far as I know. Definitely check it out again though when they release more, I'm in closed alpha right now and it's definitely got potential to be a great game. Just needs time in the incubator to develop and get fleshed out

Posted Image

#88 Duck Hunt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationNC, USA

Posted 09 September 2014 - 08:37 PM

Thanks for posting this.

I remember really enjoying the mods Mektek made for MW4 and this game looks like it has potential to be fun.

#89 TrentTheWanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 264 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 05:01 AM

Heavy Gear Assault is really shaping up into a cool game. The visuals in the alpha alone are super slick :)

#90 TrentTheWanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 264 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 10:49 AM

The producer just released and update talking about the ONNet computer system in each Gear and their plans for AI in Heavy Gear Assault: http://forums.heavyg...r-update#latest

#91 Kazvall

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 12:37 PM

I am pretty damn excited to see HGA in action. Although I am obviously jaded by my MWO experience so I won't be giving them any money until I can play the game for myself. None the less, I have 25 referrals and now have 5 closed beta keys.

These devs have actual experience with mech type games. They have personally said on their forums that they think PGI is not handling MWO successfully and will not be like them. That alone gives me a good feeling inside. It's also HEAVY GEAR. HG2 is one of my favorite games because the online was so good.

#92 Sarlic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 11 September 2014 - 01:01 PM

While this game not be Boring? In terms of longtime playing or a game to have fun for a short time?

#93 TrentTheWanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 264 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 01:52 PM

@Sarlic It's going to be based around tournaments and solo as well as team play, so I guess that depends... how competitive are you? It's also going to have single player and co-op missions, as well as a player-driven market. If you're the kind of person who likes doing those kinds of things you'll love it!

#94 Agent 0 Fortune

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:06 PM

This going to be a tough sell for me. I played the Heavy Gear video game from 1997, and it was a little to anime-mecha for my tastes, with Mechs on rollerskates, and handheld guns. I'll give it a look when it comes out, but it hasn't piqued my interest yet.

#95 xRatas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 514 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:44 PM

On my radar too. Bit wary on throwing money at new games, but most likely give some just for the old sake, because mektek.Would like to see more active forum for it though. Reminds me of MWT too much now....

I also enjoy HG quite a bit, but always preferred battletech. Maybe it's time for a change though.

#96 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 11 September 2014 - 11:50 PM

View PostTrentTheWanderer, on 11 September 2014 - 01:52 PM, said:

@Sarlic It's going to be based around tournaments and solo as well as team play, so I guess that depends... how competitive are you? It's also going to have single player and co-op missions, as well as a player-driven market. If you're the kind of person who likes doing those kinds of things you'll love it!

Thank you for your reply. I'm afraid I'm not that kind of person. I dont play much. Perhaps 1 or 2 hour a week.

However i will keep a small eye on this. New mech games always fun to follow from development.

#97 TrentTheWanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 264 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 02:16 PM

@Sarlic Not every game is for everyone :) I think it looks really promising and I can't wait to see more!

#98 Vulix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • LocationSouthwest USA

Posted 18 September 2014 - 02:30 PM

Some of the HGA team just participated in the latest KongKast. Not directly related to HGA, but there is still some good information. Check it out if you want

#99 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,583 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 09:12 AM

It's good to see some pics of this game.

#100 SaltBeef

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,081 posts
  • LocationOmni-mech cockpit.

Posted 19 October 2014 - 07:46 AM

I wonder if the single player campaign will have landships , aircraft, grells, and tanks like the other games. I liked the anti gear missiles and med rocket packs with the heavy machine cannon.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users