- - - - -

Public Matches - Feedback

232 replies to this topic

#61 anubis969

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:45 PM

View Postdymlos2003, on 02 December 2013 - 03:28 PM, said:

Pretty sure that's where the whole tonnage limit to your dropship comes into focus.

Trouble is they stated that you can load "any owned or trail 'mech" into your dropship.

The player will start with [2] DropShip slots and be able to put any owned or Trail `Mech into a slot.

-http://mwomercs.com/...t-match-screen/

Have they actually mentioned tonnage limits for your dropship in the recent info release? If I have missed where they said that then I will withdraw my concern on this particular matter.

View Postdymlos2003, on 02 December 2013 - 03:28 PM, said:

Grief? I saw idiots be idiots and whiners be whiners. Then people got over it

I saw both too. I also saw it escalate out of control on more than one occasion as well as people deliberately not hitting ready to troll.

However people didn't get over it. PGI drastically reduced the length of the timer.

Edited by anubis969, 02 December 2013 - 04:04 PM.

#62 Helwintr

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:50 PM

I do agree that letting people choose from mechs that could be of several tonnages is a bad thing. not to mention I definitely could see the ready screens turn into giant ***** fits cause someone didn't get the class of mech they wanted and being a mad dash to see who gets a mech they want. I like the ready up bonus but doing it on an individual basis would be better and less stressful. and to allow the drop ship option and allow the matchmaking to be able to factor in weight class, I would say you could only bring mechs of the same weight class to a particular match. this is for the guys who only pilot a certain weight class. and this supports bringing multiple variants of the same mech with different loadouts. one mech is CQC the other is support etc. any problems with doing it like this?

#63 Pyrrho

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 854 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:52 PM

Did no one bother to read the part where he is talking about 8 'mechs per dropship?

Also, assuming that 8 'mechs is the new 12 'mechs (Mr. Ekman cites Lore) for CW play -- what?!

#64 CarpetShark

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 177 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:02 PM

Good luck grinding your Atlases after this. And you thought it took a long time to get them through Elite now...

#65 Zanathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:03 PM

View PostPyrrho, on 02 December 2013 - 03:52 PM, said:

Did no one bother to read the part where he is talking about 8 'mechs per dropship?

Also, assuming that 8 'mechs is the new 12 'mechs (Mr. Ekman cites Lore) for CW play -- what?!

It's 8 mechs PER player:

Players can bring up to [8] BattleMechs with them to battle.

which is subject to change. The only thing I can think of for this number is fro attack/defend scenarios:

4 mechs for attack
4 mechs for defend

which allows the player to respawn in essence (aka the old dropshop module).

#66 Pyrrho

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 854 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:06 PM

View PostZanathan, on 02 December 2013 - 04:03 PM, said:

It's 8 mechs PER player:

And there was much rejoicing!

#67 Zanathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:19 PM

View PostPyrrho, on 02 December 2013 - 04:06 PM, said:

And there was much rejoicing!

Hah. Although what happens if you don't have that many mechs? Like for new players?

#68 anubis969

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:31 PM

View PostZanathan, on 02 December 2013 - 04:19 PM, said:

Hah. Although what happens if you don't have that many mechs? Like for new players?

New players will only have 2 slots available to start with (I'm assuming the other six will be brought with mc). So we probably won't be seeing respawns any time soon unless the slots you don't own get auto filled with a trail or something.

The DropShip will feature up to [8] slots and needs to be preconfigured before a player joins the ready screen. A player cannot add a `Mech to the the DropShip in the ready screen. The player will start with [2] DropShip slots and be able to put any owned or Trail `Mech into a slot.

-http://mwomercs.com/...t-match-screen/

They mentioned long ago that they wanted to allow players to choose the 'mech they wanted after seeing the map they would be playing on rather than before, so I'm guessing this is in part an off shoot of that (the other part of course being tonnage limits).

Edit: Seems we may be getting respawns after all:

The Attack/Defend Mode is in progress and we have some functioning turrets that will be fortifying Forward Operating Bases in the mode and the game mode is being investigated for any retrofit issues with the older maps. This game mode in particular will have to take into consideration special rules or functionality for Community Warfare and how defensive positions operate and are possibly upgraded. This will be the first game mode to see a potential “respawn” system.

-http://mwomercs.com/...74#entry2957174

Edited by anubis969, 02 December 2013 - 05:18 PM.

#69 100 Tonne

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 172 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:34 PM

I am definitely want to give the new system a go and see how it works. The tonnage limits are not set and can be tweeked later. I would add though, I am one of those players that run pretty much only assualts. My eight mechs would be 4 atlai, 2 battlemasters, a victor and a orion. :wub:

#70 Tekadept

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,290 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:35 PM

Sooo You can no longer choose what game mode you want like you can now? i have to be at a whim to all the puggies voting as to whether i get assault and not conquest???

Also what happens to 4man teams if we have different "factions" chosen?

#71 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,961 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:41 PM

I like the match bonus, but I'd strongly suggest adding a cooldown before it starts ticking down. It doesn't need to be long; I've just got horrible visions of twitch-clicking sugarplums readying up and then finding that they wanted a different mech - or Overly Serious Mechwarriors raging and trolling if someone costs the team 1% bonus.

In other words, I fear that too much speed pressure might drive negative behaviors

#72 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 02 December 2013 - 05:02 PM

I'm assuming the 8 mechs per player and the [240]-[480] ton limit is also per player, using a War Thunder style limited respawn system? IE: You die, and can respawn in another mech you've brought with you? Or something entirely different?

Because 240-480 (I get that it's an in-design number) is obviously not good for a 12 man team, it's ridiculously low.

#73 Mawai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 05:05 PM

View PostFelio, on 02 December 2013 - 03:10 PM, said:

Everyone will always have a mech that fits the limit. We all have access to trial mechs.

No ... the description said that you could add any owned or trial mechs to your drop ship ... not that you had to do so.

#74 Lonestar1771

• 1,991 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 02 December 2013 - 05:09 PM

Why do I get the feeling that PGI is going to sell "Vote vouchers" or some nonsense like that.

#75 Tyr Gunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 164 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 December 2013 - 05:11 PM

View PostLonestar1771, on 02 December 2013 - 05:09 PM, said:

Why do I get the feeling that PGI is going to sell "Vote vouchers" or some nonsense like that.

That would be silly since I can just use MC to vote if I want.

#76 Dan Nashe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 606 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 05:16 PM

View PostFlying Blind, on 02 December 2013 - 02:54 PM, said:

I'd like to see the bonus timer be individual. If I click ready with in the first 6 seconds I would like the full bonus while a team mate took the whole time and he gets 0%. This still rewards the quick and encourages quickness without giving anyone a troll button. I know several players who are awash in. Cbills and would enjoy taking the bonus away from others.

This is the way to do it.
That way making the slow player hate this game and never come back isn't my best strategy to increase my c-bill bonus.
Also, this way, the trolls won't win.
"TAKE THE LOCUST OR I WON'T HIT READY!"
:-)

#77 Lonestar1771

• 1,991 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 02 December 2013 - 05:17 PM

View PostTyr Gunn, on 02 December 2013 - 05:11 PM, said:

That would be silly since I can just use MC to vote if I want.

PGI logic:
"50 votes for 25 MC"
"105 votes for 50 MC (+5 Free!!)"
"999 votes for 1000 MC (BEST DEAL!!)"

#78 Tekadept

• Knight Errant
  • 1,290 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 02 December 2013 - 05:19 PM

Am I going to get penalised in this new system if when i get into this new lobby system, and people are just fluffing around doing god knows what and I just go stuff it and quit, then try and drop again and hopefully get a better group of puggies?

I won't have time for the shenanigans I can see happening in this system.

Edited by Tekadept, 02 December 2013 - 05:20 PM.

#79 Richard Strong

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 06:19 PM

I don't want to add too much drama but lets be very clear. As someone who has spent ALOT on this game, much of it recently, I will not hesitate to quit the second these changes drop if you do not raise the tonnage limit SIGNIFICANTLY. I really hate playing as anything smaller than a Blackjack, and I hate playing against anything smaller than a Blackjack for that matter. I don't expect PGI to actually implement such a ludicrously low tonnage limit so my threat is mostly for show but if PGI follows through, I will quit. Period.

Somehow I thought the lowest they would even consider was 55 tons average, and I seriously expected it to be 60 or 65 tons. I would have been outraged if it was 50 tons, let alone 40.

So yeah, I seriously don't expect a 40 ton average to happen, but I am still angry that PGI would even suggest it, because it is just another example of them never thinking things through.

Edited by Richard Strong, 02 December 2013 - 06:21 PM.

#80 Grits N Gravy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 06:36 PM

The system of picking mechs for a battle incentivizes the exact opposite behavior you want players to display. Each player is attempting to maximize their own gains. So we can assume they will game their dropship to maximize their gains. Which means they will most likely bring 4-6 mech in the 70-100 ton range. E,g, the players will quickly discover the equilibrium which will maximize their gains.

What they are not going to change is their behavior in a way which will jeopardize their gains. So at the first round of the drop most of the mechs will likely be all heavy and assaults with a tonnage that is over the limit. The system incentives a race to be first and biggest. Even if you're over the drop limit it's still in your best interest not to change to a lesser mech. As you can count on someone else having to go lower thus still maximizing your gains. Here the system incentives staying big and waiting out the competition. You've created a system which pits players on the same team against each other to maximize gains.

At best you end up with a Mexican standoff, with no one changing and idling in the lobby. At worst you end up creating abhorrent behavior amongst players. The people who do change mechs will feel cheated and the ones who stay in their mechs will be chastised. It will create a terrible atmosphere of play ultimately driving player away from the game.

A better solution is to incentivize players in a different manner. Rather than a system that rewards not changing and maximizing your heaviest mechs, we should create a system which encourages a variety of mechs. Rather than a straight up tonnage limits each map should have slots for various chassis size, ie 2 small, 4 medium ,ect. Individual bonus are awarded to the players for filling these roles, specifically the lowest earning being incentivized the most. While heavies and assaults receive little to no bonus. Fundamentally you have to make a system where the earning potential of all the mechs is equalized if you have any hope of having players pick their own drops with success.

Edited by Grits N Gravy, 02 December 2013 - 08:06 PM.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users