The "Unseen": What would you be happy with?

117 replies to this topic

Poll: The "Unseen": What would you be happy with? (351 member(s) have cast votes)

In what capacity of the appearance of the "Unseens" would you be happy with?

1. I want the originals! I am stubborn! (very unlikely to happen, but needed to be a choice) (73 votes [20.80%])

Percentage of vote: 20.80%

2. The "Reseen" versions are fine they should just use something similar to those (assuming they are still legal of course). (43 votes [12.25%])

Percentage of vote: 12.25%

3. I would rather they be completely redesigned AGAIN. Whatever it takes to get Harmony Gold off our backs! (Alex "Flyingdebris" Iglesias and company... that's your queue) (114 votes [32.48%])

Percentage of vote: 32.48%

4. Some middle ground between Option 2 & 3; I liked some designs, but some were stupid. Let us vote for new designs! (111 votes [31.62%])

Percentage of vote: 31.62%

5. Unseen... Reseen... Whatever... They were before my time and/or I don't care. (10 votes [2.85%])

Percentage of vote: 2.85%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#101 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:52 PM

View Postflyingdebris, on 10 January 2012 - 07:44 PM, said:

oh god, the pressure!

Pressure? Nah. You just have to make us all happy, that's all.

Give us all of the "Unseen" BattleMechs in their Project Phoenix incarnations with a bit of your artistic flair, and that should do it.

#102 RogueSpear

• Legendary Founder
  • 2,018 posts
  • LocationOn the dim edges of the map labelled only: Here be Urbanmechs.

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:09 PM

I'll be honest, the Unseen/Reseen were entirely before my time. I picked up MechWarrior 4:Mercs about 6 years ago, and have played the campaign/LAN on and off since. I've never managed to find anywhere with the books and haven't been sufficiently interested to invest the time to find everything online until recently (This being the reason for that obviously) but yesterday morning, while sleep deprived and tanking some university coursework I decided to use mechs as the basis of my program, which was an NPC builder to be plugged into a game and run in tandem.
Obviously a prototype, the user would simply input some very simple information. I decided to include the Hellhound/Conjurer, as second to the Behemoth mk I(Which technically doesn't seem to actually exist, though I acknowledge it is technically based on an unseen design) in MW4, it's my very favourite mech. Some days it's my my very favourite mech and outranks the Behemoth. However, I went looking for the max speed and discovered something horrifying.
The Hellhound in MW4 looks absolutely nothing like the original (The Behemoth I doesn't line up either). I pray any eventual inclusion of the Hellhound is based on the MW4 design, not the original art. I love that thing so much! The Behemoth I also love, the term 'ugly militarysexy that I love so much' definitely applies.
Get those two right and I will play this game happily forever.

#103 Bigamo

• PipPipPip
  • Sergeant-Major
  • 56 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:04 PM

Honestly i NEED the phoenix hawk, i just need it!!!

But honestly the reseen is just ugly as hit on your own mother.

But the original macross walkyries used still have even the airplane cockpit... it cant happen plz a new phoenix hawk based on the original but at least without airplane cockpits?

I cried for a week when i first saw the phoenix hawk reseen :lol:

#104 Datum

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:12 PM

At this point with the major aesthetics overhaul, I don't think the original designs would fit in quite right...
Perhaps a redesign wouldn't be too bad.
I say get Alex "Freaking Amazing" Iglesias to do the job right, I don't want any of that ugly project phoenix crud.

#105 Hawk819

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,698 posts
  • Location666 Werewolf Lane. Transylvania, Romania Ph#: Transylvania 6-5000

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:18 PM

I'm 4 whatever the Developers can come up with, and so fa, I'm loving what they've got already.

Edited by hawk819, 10 January 2012 - 09:18 PM.

#106 SMDMadCow

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:33 PM

I'd be happy if this subject never comes up again. ALL the mechs the devs have picked for this game are getting re-imaged. If that includes some of the previous Unseen, then guess what? They'll be different and perfectly legal.

#107 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 05:18 PM

In today's facebook poll the Ostscout was listed as an option.

They're taking about unseen/formerly unseen 'mechs. Huge step forward? Yes, I think so ;D

ED: Surprised there isn't more buzz over this...

Edited by Hayden, 02 February 2012 - 05:18 PM.

#108 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 03 February 2012 - 05:48 AM

I've been pretty giddy over this and yes, I am aware of the references on FB.

Still, every mech in the game will be touched/retouched by Alex so just because they say "We have the unseen" or "We won't have the unseen" it doesn't mean much because everything is subject to how Alex does it anyways.

I am eagerly awaiting his interpretation of the Marauder. It won't look Robotech, it MAY look "Reseen" or even "Reseen with a twist", only time will tell.

#109 PelinalWhitestrake

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 153 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 03 February 2012 - 06:13 AM

for me this is the best "Reseen" warhammer design
Spoiler

he has that IIC and IS look but still has the old Silhouete

(Fact: SCII Terran warhound was obviously based on this Design)

If Alex "Im the Miracle man FlyingDebris" Iglesias bring him back i'll be happy =D

Edited by Deathscream, 03 February 2012 - 06:15 AM.

#110 Alex Wolfe

• 2,359 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:06 PM

View PostMason Grimm, on 03 February 2012 - 05:48 AM, said:

I am eagerly awaiting his interpretation of the Marauder. It won't look Robotech, it MAY look "Reseen" or even "Reseen with a twist", only time will tell.

Still hoping this will make it into the game. I mean... it's ready. It's lovely. It looks deadly, even idle in the repair bay. It keeps the hunched general profile of the "original". It's made by the man who's already doing the redesigns... Only hope that the radical wing wouldn't shout it down because "its legs need to be 300% longer".

Posted Image

Art: FlyingDebris. Recolor: Hayden. Fingers: crossed.

Edited by Alex Wolfe, 03 February 2012 - 04:01 PM.

#111 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:39 PM

View PostAlex Wolfe, on 03 February 2012 - 03:06 PM, said:

Posted Image

That is a Grimm Reaper Company mech LOL (my mech specifically).

Notice the logo on the shoulder? :o

#112 Alex Wolfe

• 2,359 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:46 PM

View PostMason Grimm, on 03 February 2012 - 03:39 PM, said:

Campaigning for it gives me the double boon of campaigning for one of the sweetest rides I've ever seen in MechWarrior context, AND perhaps ward off a ban by a few hours by sucking up to a moderator, then?

This is the best mech ever :unsure: !

...seriously though, yeah, I may have lifted it from this post of yours, after Google failed me in my search for the original. Hope this repaint isn't copyrighted... Marauder has had enough legal trouble as it is, it's like the damn thing is as jinxed as ugly.

#113 empath

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 228 posts
  • LocationUTC - 3:30

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:47 PM

View PostAlex Wolfe, on 03 February 2012 - 03:06 PM, said:

Still hoping this will make it into the game. I mean... it's ready. It's lovely. It looks deadly, even idle in the repair bay. It keeps the hunched general profile of the original. It's made by the man who's already doing the redesigns... Only hope that the radical wing wouldn't shout it down because "its legs need to be 300% longer".

Posted Image

Art: FlyingDebris. Recolor: Hayden. Fingers: crossed.

Nah, I'm happy with this.

I personally would just want to see the names on the list of available chassis. Of course the looks of the 'reborn' would have to fit the Look of MWO, so redesigns would be necessary, and looking at the work that Alex has been putting forth, *ANYTHING* he comes up with would make me content.

I wanna take my beloved 'crud' into battle, even if it was a relatively sub-optimal design... /nostalgia

#114 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 03 February 2012 - 04:52 PM

I just want my Locust, Phoenix Hawk, and Marauder done in FD's version of the Project Phoenix style, and all available at launch. The Marauder pictured is perfect as far as I'm concerned.

#115 Jeager51

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • 120 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 05:16 PM

I will be honest. With a few excetions I thought most of the Project Pheonix "re-seens" fell just short of either diferentiating themselves from the source material, or if they went far enough it kept them from looking good. See as an example Shadow Hawk, It became Cobra Commander. About the only Mech they hit out of the park with that book was the Pheonix Hawk.

#116 trycksh0t

• Elite Founder
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationUmm...in a building..on a road. I think.

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:32 PM

Personally, I'd love to see them just because they were integral to the Universe when I got into BattleTech, and represent some of my favorite designs (Not just looks, but actual usefullness). In that regard, I say let FlyingDebris have his way with them, as long as they keep their original, intended roles/functions.

#117 Harrow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:40 AM

View PostMason Grimm, on 03 February 2012 - 03:39 PM, said:

Looks like someone is making the big bucks! :unsure:

#118 Kasiagora

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 620 posts
  • LocationIf not the mechbay then the battlefield!

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:51 AM

View PostHans Von Lohman, on 13 November 2011 - 10:15 PM, said:

Personally I always thought a good way to re-design the Marauder would be to take an Apache gunship, cut the tail and rotor off, then stick chicken walker legs on the bottom, move the chaingun from the bottom to the top of the rotorhead, and extend the rocket pods down on some robot arms.

I always felt like that's how they designed the Bushwacker. Take an Apache helicopter, throw on some arms and legs and there you go! The Bushwacker's one of the only designs I like from 3055 so that's not a bad thing.

I voted the 2-3 option because I don't think 1 is possible and I realize that when redesigning things you can't have too many points in common with the original (BMW filed a lawsuit against Honda in the '90s for the Accord copying too many angles from the 3-series), and some of the reseens suck. I kind of like the reseen Marauder though and thought the design was more in line with what was actually designed on the mechsheet. I think that if the guys here did their own take on it then something utilitarian-beautiful would emerge from their creative brain-womb like a metallic new-born killing machine with a very small amount of unsightly placenta at worst. Does that make sense?

What about having the autocannon offset to the right like the Bushwacker's LRM 5 pod, and having a forward designed cockpit, but replace the glass with armor and a small camera array (one to each facet so it covers many angles)?

17 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 17 guests, 0 anonymous users