#61 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:57 PM

Not happy with AC/40 mechs?

You'll enjoy this. Amputating one arm, then another, and then killing it. A wild AC/40 Jager appears in 2:45 minutes.

#62 JigglyMoobs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:44 AM

An alternative approach to dealing with AC40s. This one is called: overkill. :rolleyes:

Edited by JigglyMoobs, 19 February 2014 - 12:58 PM.

#63 Tustle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 163 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:12 PM

View PostDoctor Proctor, on 07 January 2014 - 08:52 AM, said:

Mediums basically just get screwed by these guys because their weapon ranges are well within the threat zone of the AC/40 Jager or K2 with only a fraction of the damage output.

My triple Artemis SRM6, dual medium laser, and AC2 Centurion-A build would like a word with you about that. Granted if it gets in range as you say...well hell oh hell.

#64 JulesCain

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 02:14 PM

It doesnt make any sense to talk about, how to deal with AC40´s in general, because the Player arent playing in a general way.

Anyway, it is obvious to keep them im range, but it is also obvious to keep any enemy mech in range, if you playing for example a sniper style :P So THIS tactic is nothing special, it just fits to how other players playing the game.

So the question should be: How can i deal with a enemy Mech, armed with [insert weapon], if im a [insert type of playing (postion)], im piloting a [insert your Mech], armed with [insert your weapon] and im [teamplaying / alone]?

And most of you forget, your normaly in middle of the trouble, maybe you´ve been hit by many other mechs in the meantime and other mechs shooting at you, WHILE your TRYING to shoot other mechs (in this case the AC40)...normaly you´ve configurate you mech to playing in the frontline, playing in the backrow or whatever and you got a job to do (brawling, supporting..)! So its not easy to say "as a brawler, keep distance and stay low", because thats not your job if you are a brawler!! (for example).

The Ac40 isnt overpowered at all, its specialized in close combat, sucks in any other combats und my personal opinion: its just a fun mech. !Statistically! The Jagermech is to weak for the direct frontline-combat in any combination. Its not because of the playerskill, its JUST because of doing the math <_< So you could have..like 10 Games rocking in the front, but sucks the next 20 Games. As other mentioned, at some point you will recognize the best combination for a Jagermech is a steady dmg output on all ranges.

BTW. Im playing the FB with 2 AC5, 2 ER LL and 2 ML. So im doing some/middle Damage on long range, doing lots of dmg on middle and devastating on close combat with my alpha, or continously, all the time, non stop :) . Im rotating all weapons except ML and sure the alpha.

Edited by JulesCain, 03 March 2014 - 02:28 PM.

#65 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:58 PM

View PostJulesCain, on 03 March 2014 - 02:14 PM, said:

BTW. Im playing the FB with 2 AC5, 2 ER LL and 2 ML. So im doing some/middle Damage on long range, doing lots of dmg on middle and devastating on close combat with my alpha, or continously, all the time, non stop ;) . Im rotating all weapons except ML and sure the alpha.

Rifleman! :(

#66 JulesCain

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:37 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 03 March 2014 - 03:58 PM, said:

Rifleman! :(

Exactly! ;)

#67 Tarriss Halcyon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 239 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 03 March 2014 - 05:15 PM

I always found that Dragons make effective counters for the AC40 Jagers, mostly since players rarely load out Dragons to brawl.

The arguement about "damage being key", though, is complete and utter garbage. I score, on a typical match, roughly 250 damage. And yet within that 250 damage I'll normally pick up at least one kill. See, there are two sides to that - outright damage is certainly a fun way to kill an AC40 Jager, since they're squishy. Boomers, on the other hand, seem to have one hell of a lot more armor, thanks to the size limitation brought about by the lack of XL. The easiest way to kill one of those, from experience, is precision with longer-ranged weapons, or combined firepower with teammates. Don't see too many boomers any more, though - most players seem to be steering more towards the newer mechs than the AC40 cats. Well, either that or my elo keeps me out of seeing those. Also keep in mind map position. If you're in a tight area like the River City streets or any of the tunnels/caves, forget it. You don't have room to manouver, and it's where the AC20 as a weapon was designed to work best.

I play Dragons as my main heavy, obviously (Probably won't work on a new one until I get my Summoners). AC40s are tough in close combat, which means the older maps are their best playing field. But, have you seen one do well on Tourmaline? Any map with wide open spaces is death to an AC40, since the (common) lack of speed and/or armor leaves them vulnerable to snipers and LRM-boats. Sure, you get some which move faster than average, but really, considering they still don't really break past 80kph, they aren't all that threatening on larger maps unless you get trapped or flanked.

Only time I'll get worried about AC40s is when Clantech hits and PGI gets the wonderful idea of releasing the IIC mechs. Hunchback IIC comes with two UAC20s, and jump jets. Sure, it's slow, but it's designed for the AC40 approach, it has greater manouverability than either the Boomapult or the CannonMech thanks to the JJs, and UAC20s would be dealing far more damage than the current AC20s, thanks to the faster fire rate.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users