Why Nerf The Clans In Mwo At All?

625 replies to this topic

#621 MechHammerTime

Rookie

• The Hunter
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 01:36 PM

I do think Clan pilots should drop in Binary (2 Stars = 10 Mechs) vs IS 12 man if they don't nerf the Clan Mechs. But the MatchMaker will need to be set up so players can opt for Mech-type (Drop Clan only / Drop Mixed / Drop IS only) modes and be placed into matches where it is Clan v Clan or 10 v 10, or Clan v IS (10 v 12), or IS/Mixed v IS/Mixed (12 v 12).

As for Community Warfare, PGI needs to reset the map based on current year in the BattleTech lore. If it is now 3052 not 3049, the reset map needs to reflect the current lore invasion status of worlds occupied by Clans. They should also introduce the Nova Cats, Diamond Sharks and Steel Vipers into the faction mix. And where is ComStar and their fancy white Star League Mechs?

Instead of Quick Play, Faction Play, I would also like to see a Campaign Play mode. Like Faction Play, you would fight for objectives all over a single planet, but different types of game scenarios and not the tiresome capture/reject the stupid looking orbital cannon.

For example, Campaign will let players run through each of these stages:

1. Raid (capture or disable HPG station to prevent/call for off-world reinforcements)
2. Repulse (prevent enemy DropShips from landing by destroying advance ground forces at spaceport in a limited time)
3. Deny (attack/protect supply depots and destroy objectives)
4. Evacuate (hold off enemy forces until civilian DropShip can launch)
5. Showdown/Arena (Team melee with limited cover)

The gameplay may be similar to Counter-Attack, Invasion, and Defend. But at least the themes don't all involve the stupid fat cannon (at least make it look cooler like the Ion Cannon on Hoth) and dumb looking Mobile Field Base (put a few turrets on it to defend itself, any commander would)!

Winners of campaigns get special prizes like Mech Bays, Premium Time or MC.

So PGI, my two cents say nerfing and quirks are a waste of time. Make the gameplay more interesting, then improve maps, and Mech performance will itself be fine the way they are meant to be according to the lore.

#622 StonedVet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 04:25 PM

My 2 cents is that the initial release of clan tech was OP so a minor tweak was required. What we got was an amputation instead of a bandaid over a paper cut. So now the tables have turned. No big deal, its up to us as a player base to adapt. But instead there was a flood of people who decided easy mode was more for them and switched sides. Disappointing but cest la vie. I wish nothing more then players having a good time when playing, I only wish CW was more 50\50 in advance and retreat. Just my 2 cents

#623 MechB Kotare

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 720 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 07 January 2016 - 04:06 PM

Pretty offtopic reply, aka i dont think you know what you are talking about.

View PostMechHammerTime, on 04 January 2016 - 01:36 PM, said:

I do think Clan pilots should drop in Binary (2 Stars = 10 Mechs) vs IS 12 man if they don't nerf the Clan Mechs. But the MatchMaker will need to be set up so players can opt for Mech-type (Drop Clan only / Drop Mixed / Drop IS only) modes and be placed into matches where it is Clan v Clan or 10 v 10, or Clan v IS (10 v 12), or IS/Mixed v IS/Mixed (12 v 12).

Good luck convincing experienced players about Clans being OP. Only advantage they curently have is more durable XL engine. Massive IS weapon quirks make (well piloted) IS mech far more effective in combat than clan mechs.

10v12 is not possible. You'd have to apply that into regular solo/group queue as well. Otherwise, team with more clan mechs would win. Majority of players play either one tech over another. Majority of players would automatically play only clan mechs, and never touch IS mechs again for they underperformance in battle.

The way it is now, IS should be 10 against Clans by 12...

As for Community Warfare, PGI needs to reset the map based on current year in the BattleTech lore. If it is now 3052 not 3049, the reset map needs to reflect the current lore invasion status of worlds occupied by Clans. They should also introduce the Nova Cats, Diamond Sharks and Steel Vipers into the faction mix. And where is ComStar and their fancy white Star League Mechs?

Clan Diamond Shark was not among invading clans if im not mistaken.
Crab, Kintaro, Black Knight, King Crab and highlander are Star League mechs, and they are already in game.

Instead of Quick Play, Faction Play, I would also like to see a Campaign Play mode. Like Faction Play, you would fight for objectives all over a single planet, but different types of game scenarios and not the tiresome capture/reject the stupid looking orbital cannon.

This is all nice, but if you think "campaign mode" wasnt proposed already, and if you think PGI tries to fulfill every wish of every single player, you will be a very sad man.

The gameplay may be similar to Counter-Attack, Invasion, and Defend. But at least the themes don't all involve the stupid fat cannon (at least make it look cooler like the Ion Cannon on Hoth) and dumb looking Mobile Field Base (put a few turrets on it to defend itself, any commander would)!

...any commander would assuming hes got resources, time and means for it. For me, fact that mobile field base doesnt have any defenses is more than logical. Its a vehicle transported via dropships. Vehicle for communication and intel gathering. Also quick relocation. Maybe recourses. Its not mobile field fortress, or mobile field gunship. Turrets are buildings. Structures. They dont move. They take time to establish. Also i highly doubt counter-defending team would have any time whatsoever, to deploy any, thanks to the limited time they have for preparation against attackers after succesfully attacking the base. They would barely have time to resuply, and call for MFB.

How ugly and dumb looking MFB and orbital cannons are, is only a point of your own perspective. I think Orbital cannons look impressive, and MFB looks better than in previous BT games.

So PGI, my two cents say nerfing and quirks are a waste of time. Make the gameplay more interesting, then improve maps, and Mech performance will itself be fine the way they are meant to be according to the lore.

You have no idea how much is wrong in this game according to BT lore. This is not Battletech game. Its inspired-by-battletech game. Lots had to be changed, to make the game more F2P friendly. They gave up on MW5 (sad face) just to create a f2p tittle, hoping/predicting/assuming it will also be more profitable. Favouring one side over another is not an option. Not in F2P title.

Edited by MechB Kotare, 07 January 2016 - 04:14 PM.

#624 signal

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 105 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 04:12 PM

Uneven teams will never work. Having 10 vs 12 simply means that the IS side will get two more mechs tanking and giving damage. It's been said countless times, I believe Russ even noted that they've tested it internally. It just doesn't work that way. Balance is in a great place at the moment, all that's really missing is the poopier clan mechs getting raised up to the point where they're worth playing over the top trio.

#625 Russhuster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 722 posts
  • LocationBayern

Posted 09 January 2016 - 05:22 AM

Balance is in a grat place atm ? that mens its in a place where the sun never shines?
i doubt that balance is anywhere 500 miles near a great place in MWO

Balance is a Katastrope like it is now a pain in the ... not even IS mechs in themselves are anwhere near balance!
nor are Clan mechs compared to each other there are some quirk buckets that can rub along but even there IS is in advantage the greater number of Robots do not have a chance against those Blackjacks, Tunderbolts, Blackknights etc...

but is it as closest as we had it so far ? NO its as closest since that quirk and nerf idiotism started
true

BUT!

The Fact that the condition was even worse before does not define THIS as great

Once,.. before Clan mechs we had almost something like balance,.. look at MWO now

Edited by Russhuster, 09 January 2016 - 05:30 AM.

#626 Aeroc

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 12:42 PM

I did not spend a lot of time going through the entire thread, but do agree with comments.
I have been playing Mechwarrrior since table top, and a founder of this game. Dev's listen, Clans are better than IS. I have been playing the faction warfare, and yes a beta, but still do the math.
Clan mechs are horrible, the Dire wolf is just a joke. Can't stand up to a crab or an atlas. I have seen people using macros to fire their ultra ac5's so they don't jam.. literally watch a DW get wasted by the other side.. and don't go up against a thunderbolt. NO way.. they have so much, with what seems like armor deflection that shooting a laser at them, might as well be a flashlight.
The Timberwolf, how do you plan to put in a targeting computer when there is just not enough space to place a good enough one in, since they have to have jump jets..
Heck, pulse lasers, a CLAN weapon..
Look at the IS SPL for example, the Clan does more dmg but a longer duration, and the IS has a shorter duration. .25 seconds. with (-2) points of dmg, and (-1) less heat. So you can shoot it faster, to sustain a higher DPS.
Missiles you could shoot LRM's at 0 range.. why did you remove this? Go back to the books, do the stats they way they are suppose to be done. Don't add bonus stuff to mechs to increase weapon duration, speed, etc.. that is what the modules are for and can over complicate the game on your end to ensure that current mech modules and mech combo does not become too overpowered.
The loadouts on the IS mechs, with 5 large lasers, and amazing range..
Clan ELL 11 dmg, 10 heat, cooldown 3.25, duration 1.5
IS ELL 9 dmg, 8 heat, cooldown 3.25, duration 1.25
Wow, so they can do 2 points less damage than the Clan laser, and not have to track a mech, especially a light mech, as long so there shorter shot window, allowing them to focus in one area more.. GEE who does not want to be IS..
LBX-10 the spread is so tight in the inner sphere, shooting one for the while playing Clan.. smoke is more effective than that shot. I have done more than 1000 dmg games, been top leaders, etc.. The balance is way off, way too much off. Please start spending time balancing the game instead of launching more and more mechs trying to get more cash out of the player base.
Just a disappointment the way the game is turning out.
Sure you will turn this around, and hope you do. Balance is always hard to find in any MMO, so one easy solution is not to do it and stick to the books. People who know the game, and even is explained in an intro movie should describe how the balance is off by either side.
I have not problem going in as IS 12 vs 8 clan.. or being a clan knowing I am going in against more IS.
It might as well be that way as two clan mechs can't take out one IS mech.
One battle, which was neat to see, the IS faction team rushed our base with nothing but Atlas on their second wave. Very impressive sight to see all of them coming in. They completely wiped out the Clan side. They did not just go for the main target they wiped out all the Clan mechs.. This was the second wave as they were down kills from the first wave.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users