42 replies to this topic

#1 Sniper061

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 27 posts
  • LocationAugusta, GA

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:05 AM

Seriously people, this isn't too hard of a concept to grasp. If you see someone shooting an enemy Mech, then stay out of their line of fire. If you want to shoot the same Mech, stand beside the person and join in. What you should NOT do is move ahead of that person and then angle right into their line of fire. You take damage from them and make them angry since they just wasted a shot on you instead of the enemy Mech.

This has become a regular occurrence with me while I'm pugging. Find target, shoot target, end up shooting friendly that is SOO eager to get in on the damage that they run right in front of me. Trust me, I really don't want to shoot you, I want to shoot the other guy. But now it's almost to the point where I'm just going to keep firing regardless if you are there. Yeah I might end up coring you but you won't be in my way any longer and MAYBE you'll learn to check out your surroundings first.

Let me be clear on this. I really don't mind if it is a furball. Everyone is going to get in the way of everyone else. What I do mind is if I flanked a mech and am pumping laser fire into him from 150-250 meters away... and you walk right around me and right into my fire.

#2 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:06 PM

As a stand off sniping platform, I approve the above message. It is beyond frustrating and confusing when you are actively pumping shots into someone and an ally wanders right in front of you for no good reason whatsoever. Ammo is limited, and so is your armor!

Upside, blasting someone is its own stress relief.

#3 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:32 PM

I need to admit that I often do the same thing. I have a process chart in my head that I go through before I fire. It goes like this;

1. Am I able to target an enemy?
2. If no, see point 1. If yes;
3. Is there anything between me and the enemy?
4. Irrelevant! FIRE!
5. But seriously, there's like a hill and a sky scr...
6. Shut it! Fire! FIRE EVERYTHING
7. DUDE! There's a friendly right in fro-
8. ******* IT BRAIN, I AM THE TRIGGER FINGER AND I HAVE THE CON! *click click click click click click*

Ahem. In all seriousness though, lanes of fire weapon arcs are a big ask in a game like this. I was in the military for years and there were TRAINED ******* that often failed to grasp the concept, EVEN WHEN ACTUAL BULLETS WERE INVOLVED.

I understand your frustration though. It's the reason why I'm often caught alone by jenners if I'm snipering; my team mates are often more dangerous than the enemy. Best to stay well away from them.

I think the best solution is to work with people you know, and practice. It can become second nature for a team after a while. The concept is woefully beyond most pugs, however.

#4 John MatriX82

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:40 PM

I've lost several matches due to friendly fire being more effective than enemy fire. Los and awareness are a serious weakness for new players. Sometimes I'd like to span my minimap to my whole secondary monitor, to take a look friendlies converging to my back lol ;)

#5 Aware

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 146 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:06 PM

If I know I have friendly snipers on my team I try to bait enemy mechs into the line of fire! DONT SHOOT ME!!!!

#6 Krazy Kat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:10 PM

My AC/20 really doesn't like my teammates. Please stay out of its way.

#7 Nermal

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 11 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, Florida

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:05 PM

I fully agree with everything said here. It is not always "That Guys" fault though. I can't count how many times I've been in a turning fight with another medium and my entire team decided they wanted to "help." I understand that everyone wants all the xp and cbills they can get but at least give me the chance to disengage and open range so you don't pump that gauss slug into my back!

#8 Stormur Herra

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 185 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:13 PM

Yeah. When being chased by an enemy mech, running through friendly medium laser fire is often healthier carefully avoiding it and getting hit with an unfriendly Gauss or large laser.

#9 Talsha

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 37 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:04 AM

View PostKiiyor, on 03 December 2012 - 03:32 PM, said:

I need to admit that I often do the same thing. I have a process chart in my head that I go through before I fire. It goes like this;

1. Am I able to target an enemy?
2. If no, see point 1. If yes;
3. Is there anything between me and the enemy?
4. Irrelevant! FIRE!
5. But seriously, there's like a hill and a sky scr...
6. Shut it! Fire! FIRE EVERYTHING
7. DUDE! There's a friendly right in fro-
8. ******* IT BRAIN, I AM THE TRIGGER FINGER AND I HAVE THE CON! *click click click click click click*

Ahem. In all seriousness though, lanes of fire weapon arcs are a big ask in a game like this. I was in the military for years and there were TRAINED ******* that often failed to grasp the concept, EVEN WHEN ACTUAL BULLETS WERE INVOLVED.

I understand your frustration though. It's the reason why I'm often caught alone by jenners if I'm snipering; my team mates are often more dangerous than the enemy. Best to stay well away from them.

I think the best solution is to work with people you know, and practice. It can become second nature for a team after a while. The concept is woefully beyond most pugs, however.

In the name of Kerensky, yes please!

Lanes of Fire and Positioning...

Lances that clump up and block each others fields of fire,
reducing the applied firepower of the unit to nothing...

Mechs that run right in front of you or worse
that hug you from behind...

Its really not that hard...

By now I am tempted to simply continued shooting...

#10 Star Seven

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:22 AM

I'm getting so confused by all these team rules, pug rules, when to shoot when not to shoot....I think I'll just leave my Atlas parked at the base and watch for awhile......

#11 Burke IV

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:12 PM

I run up and down in front of my own line all the time. I dont mind if i get clipped, if i ran in front of you its probably to get out of the way of sometihng worse. Spare a thought for mechs with tag, keeping it on target and avoiding angry return fire means you must keep moving at the same time as doing what a laser does. Sometimes you can only jump one way.

#12 MnDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Location"Vallhalla" 1st Rasalhague Dragonregementë

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:32 PM

While I wholeheartedly agree with this message, I am afraid that instructing a PUG on the finer points of fields of fire and range fans is like trying to instruct a recruit about throwing a grenade over a wall. Sometimes they get it...sometimes you just have to take cover and pray.

#13 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:36 PM

All that matters is getting the kill, even if you have to steal it.

/sarcasm

#14 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:44 PM

View PostTalsha, on 14 November 2013 - 05:04 AM, said:

In the name of Kerensky, yes please!

Lanes of Fire and Positioning...

Lances that clump up and block each others fields of fire,
reducing the applied firepower of the unit to nothing...

Mechs that run right in front of you or worse
that hug you from behind...

Its really not that hard...

By now I am tempted to simply continued shooting...

It's the only way. Really.

If enough people did it, it may even start to alleviate some of the more awesome problems with maps like WTF-A-THERMA.

"Here we go, nearing the choke point. My whole team is behind me, so i'd better pu-WHOA, there was a RED DOT THERE... FULL REVERSE! FULL REVERSE! BLAARGH, SOMEONE'S MECH PELVIS IS GYRATING AGAINST ME.... APPLY MORE POWER! GET OUT OF THE WA-Oh, the red dot is gone. Time to move forwa-OOPS, THERE IT IS, REVEEEEEEERSE"

Maybe the Russians had the right idea after all. 1:40ish for -hilariously- badly dubbed PROOF.

]

#15 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:47 PM

This is a good thread, but please also be aware of the flip side which is that in really constricted spaces people need to let the bigger guns shoot.

If, for example, the enemy is 500 m away, and you're trying to blast him with your 2 mls while plugging up the tunnel entrance, that could be a very bad thing for the whole team. If a Jager comes by with a full set of dakka on deck, please get out of the way so he can shoot! You will live longer, the enemy will die faster, and the team will be a little closer to victory.

#16 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:51 PM

Too many team kills today because of asswipes running in front of me.

#17 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,601 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:29 PM

I'm right there with you, but might I suggest that expressing too much justified frustration can be counter-productive? I've found that it's better to edit myself to be a little more calm - and I've still had crazy people burst into flame and start misquoting Sun Tzu...

#18 Urdasein

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 01:12 AM

I am a AC2/AC40 Jag user.

Ac2 = continuous suppressive fire up to 2000m
Ac40= friendly fire is unforgivable with that toy. Use with extreme care.

Guess what happen when im hammering a target ? Ally that pop just in front of me and begin shoot the same target. The teammate can't say he didn't saw me nor hear me... I do enough noise, flash and i am on minimap.

Guess what ? I dont stop firing most of the time.

PS:
i dont hesitate to AC40 people who:
- hug in my back
- do heat test on my legs at the beginning of the match

It is really really is easy to avoid that 3 misbehaviour, so i won't care about people that don't care about me.

PSS: I stop shooting when people cross my line of fire OF COURSE. I only fire the back of people that plug themselves in front of my guns.

Edited by loupgaroupoilu, 17 November 2013 - 01:23 AM.

#19 TooleRoo

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:08 AM

If it may help, there is a certain angle where an ally behind can still fire it's load "if the weapon is attached to the arm" of the mech. For example on my Kintaro where PPC or ERLL is attached to the right arm, I usually position my self behind an assault ally (specially Atlas). But!! I can still get a clear shot by exposing my right arm a little to the right while hiding the entire body of my mech behind my assault ally.

It takes a few practice though to do this effectively in an actual match.

;)

#20 Burke IV

• Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:55 AM

Yeah i used to pilot my k2 like that. mouse 1 left ppc mouse 2 right ppc. like boxing ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users