Clan Package Thoughts

892 replies to this topic

#721 CCC Dober

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 01:04 AM

View PostRemarius, on 08 April 2014 - 09:08 AM, said:

I can’t decide if you’re trolling but you’re certainly ranting.

I’ve played every PC based Mechwarrior/Battletech game with all add on’s including the online versions.

The online play for MW4 was so unbalanced it was laughable. The graphics were awful even when it was launched. By today’s standards they’re downright pathetic.

The ONLY good things about the game were the mods and the single player side which wasn’t exactly long. The reason people could mod it to an ok extent was because the mechs were so minimalist in terms of graphics, basically a blob you could hack to assign different data to easily. Which brings up the use of third party tools which was rife.

The fact you’re after certain of the features you rant about is the give away that you just like to min max everything – the ability to remove challenge by refitting your mech once you know the map is a game killer. Currently you have a lottery – go extreme and risk getting punished by weaknesses to your mech, go balanced and reduce the risk. It gives away that your only interest in clan mechs is almost certainly in having them as overpowered as they were in tabletop or in fact MW4.

Your ranting about Founders is laughable. The fact you ponied up at the start like I did does not entitle you to anything except what was in that pack.

“Are you happy about what was sold and where we are today?”

Yes, I’ve got certain hopes for content coming but that’s to enhance my experience not replace it.

“What about the costs for the Clan Packs?”

I’ve mentioned quite a few times I have a Gold Daishi waiting so what do you think?

“Are they fair when you got more and better Mechs back in MW4 mods for free?”

So laughable you must be trolling. The mechs were not better in any way I can think of except you didn’t have to pay or grind for them which from your rant is actually your objection. Tech and mechs were totally unbalanced, graphics were awful and changing data was so simple that people hacked it or used 3rd party mods to bypass server restrictions. MWO has some flaws or issues I really don’t like but MW4 was so flawed that only a player who wants to play easy mode would champion it.

Alright, so MW4 is not the most pretty out of the bunch and MS shipped it in a state that was not necessarily balanced. But you knew that already and the fact that mods changed it for the better, didn't you?

And since you mentioned the ease with which it was possible to change/hack the game, that may have been true in case of the vanilla product, but it was pretty much a non-issue after mektek introduced adequate security measures. I wonder why you chose to omit that particular information.

So you decided to skip some of the most glaring issues, such the pathetic pool of maps in MWO? How interesting.
We can't vote/change maps/Mechs/variants either, let alone reconnect if the game decides to crash again. That's totally acceptable right?
Or how about the Mechlab that is such a usability nightmare, that it actually kills half the fun of the game?

These are just a couple of things that stand out in MWO so much, that you simply cannot ignore them, yet you chose to do so. We had no issues in MW4 with any of the above and that's a fact. The game worked as expected and intended for the most part. And if it didn't, you were not stuck with waiting 15 minutes to get your Mech back. That is what MWO or WoT forces on people these days and if that ain't pathetic by comparison, then your perception of reality is heavily distorted.

Last but not least, MW4 was a highly competitive game, long before esports took off. You were either not there when big leagues like MWL or EBTL thrived or you did not have what it took to compete. Easy mode only applied to the singleplayer campaign or NHUA server settings. You would get mauled in multiplayer if you fielded any of the singleplayer configs against halfway competent players in multiplayer. Let's not talk too much about NHUA because it amounted to legal cheating or prodding the engine for edge cases.

MW4 was a game, where your money wouldn't allow you to bypass anything. Here in MWO you can accelerate or even skip the tedious grind, which is actually encouraged. The grind here and in other games is an artificial wall that is keeping you from experiencing the game to its fullest. Of course, I'm against this measure because I've been around the block and know what amounts to fun and what is simply a waste of time. I wouldn't expect people that throw money at problems to understand the lure of games like MW4. In fact, I would expect them to bash it for trivial or even invalid reasons, which is precisely what you did. What you also did was to ignore the fact that MW4 was feature complete and not a minimally viable product like MWO.

The problem with you and other people is that you are so used to sh1tty games by now, that you have forgotten what an actual good game is all about. A game that lets you dig in and do your thing without wasting precious time. Hint: MW3 and MW4 were such games. MWO can only dream of being anywhere close. It's like the little brother of both that still has to grow up. A lot.

Edited by CCC Dober, 09 April 2014 - 01:07 AM.

#722 Gremlich Johns

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:07 PM

@ CCC Dober

Seyla!

(all of the NBT leagues were awesome, BTW)

#723 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:18 AM

View PostCCC Dober, on 09 April 2014 - 01:04 AM, said:

Alright, so MW4 is not the most pretty out of the bunch and MS shipped it in a state that was not necessarily balanced. But you knew that already and the fact that mods changed it for the better, didn't you?

And since you mentioned the ease with which it was possible to change/hack the game, that may have been true in case of the vanilla product, but it was pretty much a non-issue after mektek introduced adequate security measures. I wonder why you chose to omit that particular information.

So you decided to skip some of the most glaring issues, such the pathetic pool of maps in MWO? How interesting.
We can't vote/change maps/Mechs/variants either, let alone reconnect if the game decides to crash again. That's totally acceptable right?
Or how about the Mechlab that is such a usability nightmare, that it actually kills half the fun of the game?

These are just a couple of things that stand out in MWO so much, that you simply cannot ignore them, yet you chose to do so. We had no issues in MW4 with any of the above and that's a fact. The game worked as expected and intended for the most part. And if it didn't, you were not stuck with waiting 15 minutes to get your Mech back. That is what MWO or WoT forces on people these days and if that ain't pathetic by comparison, then your perception of reality is heavily distorted.

Last but not least, MW4 was a highly competitive game, long before esports took off. You were either not there when big leagues like MWL or EBTL thrived or you did not have what it took to compete. Easy mode only applied to the singleplayer campaign or NHUA server settings. You would get mauled in multiplayer if you fielded any of the singleplayer configs against halfway competent players in multiplayer. Let's not talk too much about NHUA because it amounted to legal cheating or prodding the engine for edge cases.

MW4 was a game, where your money wouldn't allow you to bypass anything. Here in MWO you can accelerate or even skip the tedious grind, which is actually encouraged. The grind here and in other games is an artificial wall that is keeping you from experiencing the game to its fullest. Of course, I'm against this measure because I've been around the block and know what amounts to fun and what is simply a waste of time. I wouldn't expect people that throw money at problems to understand the lure of games like MW4. In fact, I would expect them to bash it for trivial or even invalid reasons, which is precisely what you did. What you also did was to ignore the fact that MW4 was feature complete and not a minimally viable product like MWO.

The problem with you and other people is that you are so used to sh1tty games by now, that you have forgotten what an actual good game is all about. A game that lets you dig in and do your thing without wasting precious time. Hint: MW3 and MW4 were such games. MWO can only dream of being anywhere close. It's like the little brother of both that still has to grow up. A lot.

MW3 and MW4 weren't free to play and didn 't had the same problem MW:O has to face.
When you bought MW4 the game was finished. Completed.

This ISN'T the case with MW:O.
It's like comparing a finished jet fighter with a new type of jet fighter STILL in construction and test.

#724 Lukoi Banacek

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:24 AM

Shouldnt the game be complete however.

F2p is not an excuse to be an underperforming product.

MMOs evolve over time but their initial official release should be at least fully functional in the manner advertised. Many people upset with the state of the game are upset for exactly this reason.

WoW evolved mightily but when it released the core functionality was there and largely effective. You could do the raids and level your avatar as promoted. By your logic, it should be ok to release that kind of game with no group raids even while that game aspect is repeatedly touted as part of the game experience.

#725 Lukoi Banacek

• 4,353 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:28 AM

Boeing isnt going to call a new but unfinished protoype good to go and capable of use without its landing gear. Thats the diff. PGI is no longer beta. Its bad marketing to promote the game, community warfare, clan packs etc when parts of that are not signifcantly explained or even established.

Hey want a new fighter jet? Well we are not going to tell you how the weapons on it work or anything like that but please pay billions in development costs for us on the hope that the guns will shoot straight!

#726 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:30 AM

ever heard of "edit"? :)

#727 Ovion

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:38 AM

Do we have any idea on what the C-Bill costs of these will be yet? (if it's been said, that's great, but looking through near 40 pages is....)

I'm mostly going to be after the 2 lights and a Timber Wolf, so knowing how much I'd need would be nice (even ball parK)

Edited by Ovion, 11 April 2014 - 03:40 AM.

#728 Lukoi Banacek

• 4,353 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:20 AM

View PostKuroNyra, on 11 April 2014 - 03:30 AM, said:

ever heard of "edit"? :)

Yea was typing from phone and it was being a pita lol.

#729 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 05:43 AM

View PostLukoi, on 11 April 2014 - 04:20 AM, said:

Yea was typing from phone and it was being a pita lol.

Hehe, good excuse! :)

While I agree that MW:O is currently disappointing. But I personatly sitll enjoy riding my centurion.
People's taste I guess.
I can be very "bad" against game getting ****** up. But in MW:O it isn't really the case... Why? Because I still have fun playing with my Thunderbolt, my Catapult or My Centurion.

Yes, this isn't MW2 or MW:LL. But it's currently the most recent MW game we have, and if we let that franchise die... It is perfectly possible that the franchise dire definitivly with MW:O.

Something that I DON'T want to see.

#730 Lukoi Banacek

• 4,353 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:18 AM

KN - I dont disagree with sentiment. Given its flaws it is still the best option for MW afficianados atm and I would rather see it flourish than fail.

That being said, it will not flourish if we simply accept where it is at performance and deliverables wise. We are not a large enough demographic to keep the game afloat. They have to fix the games if they want more than diehards with inifinate patience to play the game so they can earn. I would hazard even the diehards have breaking points.

#731 Mordin Ashe

• 1,505 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:03 AM

I believe they will keep making the game great. It may take time for some crucial features to get implemented but the better the game is the more money it makes. F2P is very just model in this regard, rewards good work and punishes the black passengers who only pretend to deliver.
If MWO is any good, it will have future. And who knows? Maybe they will at some point figure out that they have enough material prepared and enough money made to invest into SP campaign.

#732 Tetryon88

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Canada

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:54 AM

View Postvagabond The Scot, on 08 April 2014 - 03:46 AM, said:

I realy don't know what mech to pilot first from my Warhawk pack on the 17th, Should it be the Nova ,Summoner ,Timberwolf ,Warhawk or my Direwolf first. most important change to my Prime direwolf will be the clrm15 being replaced with a streak6,bap and the module 360 target retention and target decay just to help against lights that go behind me.

And if no one noticed that the 17th of june is the day Hanse Davion died in 3052 of a heart attack in his office.

Start with your biggest mech and work your way down. For me that's:

Dire Wolf
Timber Wolf
Summoner
Nova (wish I could have gotten the Stormcrow instead)
Kit Fox

This way you don't get bored in a single mech but get to cycle them out. For real fun, do it again with each variant so you don't get fed up of a single chasis!

Edited by Tetryon88, 11 April 2014 - 09:54 AM.

#733 Ruhkil

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 98 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:35 AM

I wonder if the "clan saber pack" or whatever they call it will be a real hot ticket item and if it can be bought by people who did not buy the initial clan packages.
for example
CLAN SABER PACKAGE
DASHER(firemoth) 200kph light mech
some clan medium(i am not familiar with clan mediums)
the Maddog(vulture)-clan LRM boat
and a new clan poptart1! the executioner(gladiator) the 95 ton JJ equiped long range platform

If that is what the next set of clan mechs are it will sell like hotcakes based on the current meta. In a way if you evaluate what 3050 clan mechs were left out of the initial sale and what of the iconic MW2 and MW2 mercs clan mechs remain out of the game it seems like a shrewd bussiness decison. throw down the timber wolf and warhawk to get interest put out the slow clan lights and kinda meh mediums like the nova and then sell the above 4 mechs as well..
in a way if they sold seperate Saber packs for 60$ each with two mechs it might soothe the communities concerns about the price tag of the clan packs though on the other hand it might cause a ruckus in light of the 55$ a la carte options... IDK it seems like PGI/IGP sort of pigeonholed their prices to a very high level not sure if that was wise overall.

Edited by Ruhkil, 13 April 2014 - 11:44 AM.

#734 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 13 April 2014 - 11:03 AM

The next could definitely be Mist Lynx/Artic Cheetah (Firemoth needs MASC), Shadow Cat or Ice Ferret, Mad Dog and, why not, Gargoyle ;)

#735 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 13 April 2014 - 11:07 AM

Do not forget the Hellbringer. ECM heavy mech. Oh yes.

#736 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 13 April 2014 - 11:56 AM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 13 April 2014 - 11:07 AM, said:

Do not forget the Hellbringer. ECM heavy mech. Oh yes.

Sorry, but the Mad Dog is definitely more iconic. And sexy.

#737 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 12:07 PM

View PostCyclonerM, on 13 April 2014 - 11:56 AM, said:

Sorry, but the Mad Dog is definitely more iconic. And sexy.

Seyla!

#738 Name140704

• 1,196 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 13 April 2014 - 12:11 PM

I'm not going to get a clan pack, but not for butthurt reasons. I simply don't want a Kitfox, and I am not going to pay for mechs that I do not want again.

For me, I am saving up the C-bills (Kerenskys) to buy the Clan 'mech I want, and I'll grind it like a champ.

#739 VikingN1nja

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 607 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 13 April 2014 - 12:21 PM

I just bought Daishi & Madcat. ;)

#740 Ruhkil

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 98 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 12:32 PM

I think they should make the first four clan mechs(Kit Fox Nova Thor and Direwolf) purchasable fairly quickly. I really hope they dont release one mech a month, If its ullers for MC on june 17th and then for cbills the next month and so on in that fashion its gonna be a loooooong time before people even get direwolves.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users