#801 Edward Mattlov

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 388 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 15 May 2014 - 03:24 PM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 15 May 2014 - 03:08 PM, said:

Presumably this would be the information announcement you would want, though, no? I mean, we have how Clan mechs will function in the mechlab. We have how XP will work with clan "chassis." What we do not have is the nitty gritty finalized balance when it comes to Clan weapons, nor how/if Clan vs IS mode will exist.

Late, but better late than never.

I agree, though, they tried to sell a product without enough information for most people, and community rewards would probably be achieved faster if we knew what was being worked for. If we knew that, say, reward 3 was another mech, I bet it would have sold more, or at least faster.

As far as the community rewards are concerned, I can think of only two reasons why they were not reavealed from the beginning; either PGI has not decided what they should be yet, or they are so underwhelming that they would actually deter further sales.

#802 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 15 May 2014 - 03:31 PM

View PostEdward Mattlov, on 15 May 2014 - 03:24 PM, said:

As far as the community rewards are concerned, I can think of only two reasons why they were not reavealed from the beginning; either PGI has not decided what they should be yet, or they are so underwhelming that they would actually deter further sales.

"You've just won a new car! You can either take the new car, or you can pick what is inside the mystery box!"

"I'll take the box! I'll take the box!"

"Congratulations on your new toaster!"

#803 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 15 May 2014 - 03:37 PM

Reward 2 is going be another paint skin.

#804 _Comrade_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 03:45 PM

i did my part, bought a timber wolf and a storm crow and i won't even be able to play for two weeks in june cause i will be out of town :)

#805 NoClass

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 192 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:55 PM

View PostEdward Mattlov, on 15 May 2014 - 02:52 PM, said:

I am curious about why more information regarding how clan tech will work has not been released yet, with just over one month until the preorders are delivered. Personally, I believe that PGI would sell more clan packages if they gave us a steady stream of information and also revealed the other three social rewards.

It would open my wallet. I'm currently on the fence with serious concerns that, if clan weapons don't come in at or near TT values, the available tonnage and hardpoint selection of each chassis leaves little option to be competitive with the IS.

#806 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:59 PM

View PostVigilanceHawkwind, on 15 May 2014 - 06:55 PM, said:

It would open my wallet. I'm currently on the fence with serious concerns that, if clan weapons don't come in at or near TT values, the available tonnage and hardpoint selection of each chassis leaves little option to be competitive with the IS.

My concern as well. Specifically, ERPPCs and the lasers. Consider that the current IS LLas and ERLLas is damage buffed from 8 to 9 damage. The Clan ERLLas is supposed to be 10 damage. Will it remain 10 or will it be buffed to 11? What happens to Clan LPLas then? Will they remain 10.4 with 600 meter range? What about ERPPC? Without the ability to load up on a ton of dakka or a couple Gauss without investing 100% into the two guns that leaves only the ERPPC as a possible alternative.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 15 May 2014 - 06:59 PM.

#807 Dakkaface

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 226 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:57 PM

What we do not have is the nitty gritty finalized balance when it comes to Clan weapons, nor how/if Clan vs IS mode will exist.

I believe that their stated intentions for Clan v. IS. is going to be Random PUGs = Anybody can play any tech, Community Warfare = your faction only, your tech only.

I agree, though, they tried to sell a product without enough information for most people, and community rewards would probably be achieved faster if we knew what was being worked for. If we knew that, say, reward 3 was another mech, I bet it would have sold more, or at least faster.

The social rewards definitely should have been revealed by now, just to show people 'hey, this is what you're working toward!' What I find more annoying is the silence on the extra features. Warhorns, bonus modules, medallions, etc. What's a warhorn? All we have is speculation that it'll be like the Heavy Metal's kill music. What's the bonus module do? If it turns any mech into a hero, that's pretty awesome. If it gives your mech Kerensky decals, that's useless. We have no idea right now Medallions - are we going to be able to pick from the first 4 Invasion clans? The later 7? All of them? Are we going to be able to rep Nova Cats, or will we have to wait? Badges and Titles - what badges, what titles? Phoenix packages were upfront about your level icon and related title - Clan Packages are not.

That's all info that should have been been given to us back in February or March. I can't in good conscience go past Daishi level without knowing what the heck those items do. They're a non-factor in my decision-making process because they're empty words with no meaning behind them.

#808 Xoxim SC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 453 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:53 PM

View PostCoffiNail, on 15 May 2014 - 03:37 PM, said:

Reward 2 is going be another paint skin.

I personally gave up on the social rewards as soon as I saw that polygon paint skin, made me cry... literally.

I can't wait to get some more information on omnipods, what benefits you get from taking one omnipod over another (like taking one with 1 energy slot as opposed to 6 in the case of the Nova).

I'm also curious as to what PGI plans to offer to clans who don't wish to use IS mechs, but we are left with no high speed light mechs, nor do we have any ECM mechs (could be wrong on this, but I'm pretty sure we're SOL on this one). This of course being a more immediate concern rather than a long term, since I'd hope they would release more clan mechs sooner than later...

Edited by Todd Lightbringer, 15 May 2014 - 08:54 PM.

#809 Edward Mattlov

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 388 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:52 PM

View PostTodd Lightbringer, on 15 May 2014 - 08:53 PM, said:

I personally gave up on the social rewards as soon as I saw that polygon paint skin, made me cry... literally.

I can't wait to get some more information on omnipods, what benefits you get from taking one omnipod over another (like taking one with 1 energy slot as opposed to 6 in the case of the Nova).

I'm also curious as to what PGI plans to offer to clans who don't wish to use IS mechs, but we are left with no high speed light mechs, nor do we have any ECM mechs (could be wrong on this, but I'm pretty sure we're SOL on this one). This of course being a more immediate concern rather than a long term, since I'd hope they would release more clan mechs sooner than later...

Clan Warriors do not cry like EMOs, nor do we have to use the same crutches that Inner-Sphere pilots do!

#810 Edward Mattlov

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 388 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:57 PM

View PostVigilanceHawkwind, on 15 May 2014 - 06:55 PM, said:

There never will be. And the Inner-Sphere surats will be in clan mechs as well, so it will still be 12 vs 12 mixed groups. Do not hold out for lore reasons, lore has been shat upon.

#811 Dakkaface

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 226 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:28 PM

They mentioned that quirks will be pod specific and cumulative - so each pod will have it's own quirks and they'll add together to finalize what the total affect on your mech's performance will be.

In the short term we will have no high speed lights, but the Kit Fox C has ECM. No guarantee that's one of the two alternate configs of Kit Foxes that will be released, but I sincerely hope it is.

#812 Saber Avalon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 362 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:10 PM

I am curious about why more information regarding how clan tech will work has not been released yet, with just over one month until the preorders are delivered. Personally, I believe that PGI would sell more clan packages if they gave us a steady stream of information and also revealed the other three social rewards.

Presumably this would be the information announcement you would want, though, no? I mean, we have how Clan mechs will function in the mechlab. We have how XP will work with clan "chassis." What we do not have is the nitty gritty finalized balance when it comes to Clan weapons, nor how/if Clan vs IS mode will exist.

Late, but better late than never.

View PostDakkaface, on 15 May 2014 - 07:57 PM, said:

I believe that their stated intentions for Clan v. IS. is going to be Random PUGs = Anybody can play any tech, Community Warfare = your faction only, your tech only.

The social rewards definitely should have been revealed by now, just to show people 'hey, this is what you're working toward!' What I find more annoying is the silence on the extra features. Warhorns, bonus modules, medallions, etc. What's a warhorn? All we have is speculation that it'll be like the Heavy Metal's kill music. What's the bonus module do? If it turns any mech into a hero, that's pretty awesome. If it gives your mech Kerensky decals, that's useless. We have no idea right now Medallions - are we going to be able to pick from the first 4 Invasion clans? The later 7? All of them? Are we going to be able to rep Nova Cats, or will we have to wait? Badges and Titles - what badges, what titles? Phoenix packages were upfront about your level icon and related title - Clan Packages are not.

That's all info that should have been been given to us back in February or March. I can't in good conscience go past Daishi level without knowing what the heck those items do. They're a non-factor in my decision-making process because they're empty words with no meaning behind them.

My theory on why they have only given us images and flaky information with nothing solid yet is: the monthly rewards.

Dead serious. They're likely going to wait till after June 3rd, when the last monthly reward is handed out, then they'll give us the information we really want and sales will spike. Those who didn't buy a "place holder" to get the monthlies will have lost out and IGP/PGI will have saved themselves from giving out as many freebies as they can. It's marketing 101. Probably why they haven't revealed the social rewards yet as well. At least that's the only logical reason I can think of for them holding off this long.

#813 Edward Mattlov

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 388 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:15 PM

View PostSaber Avalon, on 15 May 2014 - 11:10 PM, said:

My theory on why they have only given us images and flaky information with nothing solid yet is: the monthly rewards.

Dead serious. They're likely going to wait till after June 3rd, when the last monthly reward is handed out, then they'll give us the information we really want and sales will spike. Those who didn't buy a "place holder" to get the monthlies will have lost out and IGP/PGI will have saved themselves from giving out as many freebies as they can. It's marketing 101. Probably why they haven't revealed the social rewards yet as well. At least that's the only logical reason I can think of for them holding off this long.

Glad I bought a "place holder", Kerensky is in my cockpit!

Edited by Edward Mattlov, 15 May 2014 - 11:15 PM.

#814 Cavendish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 410 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:20 AM

I can only think of two possible reasons at this time, neither is a good sign:

1) They have nerfed/modified/"balanced" the clan tech so far that it is just a shadow of what it should be. If this is the case, they dont want to release the information due to people not wanting to pay money for "bad" tech and that they could be hit with a lot of refund requests.

2) They still dont know how to "balance" the tech and are running around in circles trying to figure it out. If this is the case, if they were honest and told us as much, noone who has not already decided to buy a pack would be tempted to put up the money hoping that they can get it done in a month.

That said, I hope I am wrong and that they soon ™ post a huge post with variants, how tech will work and what all those special modules will do.

Edited by Cavendish, 16 May 2014 - 03:21 AM.

#815 NoClass

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 192 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:07 AM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 15 May 2014 - 06:59 PM, said:

My concern as well. Specifically, ERPPCs and the lasers. Consider that the current IS LLas and ERLLas is damage buffed from 8 to 9 damage. The Clan ERLLas is supposed to be 10 damage. Will it remain 10 or will it be buffed to 11? What happens to Clan LPLas then? Will they remain 10.4 with 600 meter range? What about ERPPC? Without the ability to load up on a ton of dakka or a couple Gauss without investing 100% into the two guns that leaves only the ERPPC as a possible alternative.

Let's put it this way, if the ERPPC is garbage and the lasers' beam duration is too long, any weight class under assault will not be able to compete with the IS. Specifically the Summoner with the way they are handling omnipods. If the laser/PPC clan tech blows, the Summoner will be good for little else but a missile platform.

Competitive players probably shouldn't even purchase clan tech. What, with the autocannons doing burst fire, that basically leaves the gauss rifle. The summoner doesn't have the tonnage to run 2 ppcs which is OK because canon damage values give you a 30 point pin point. However, at that point, if you're going to run a gauss why not use an IS mech and get a 35 pin point? That's assuming the PPC comes in at 15. If it comes in lower, clan tech is screwed at the comp.level.

#816 NoClass

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 192 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:16 AM

View PostEdward Mattlov, on 15 May 2014 - 09:57 PM, said:

There never will be. And the Inner-Sphere surats will be in clan mechs as well, so it will still be 12 vs 12 mixed groups. Do not hold out for lore reasons, lore has been shat upon.

I like the gameplay, I don't care about lore just so we are clear. I've been playing around in skunk werks based on the information we've been given so far regarding omnimech construction and weapon balancing and the results simply are worrisome. I know a lot of people are concerned that clan tech will be OP, but given the mechanics of MWO and the plan to balance clan tech, I fear it will be underwhelming. No matter what loadout I come up with for a clan mech, I find a more desirable and better performing IS equivalent.

I'm afraid the devs are looking at just straight numbers regarding damage heat, crits, and tonnage versus the mechanics of the game itself and how that favors FLD/Pinpoint damage. In this regard, clan tech is utterly underwhelming.

Edited by VigilanceHawkwind, 16 May 2014 - 08:16 AM.

#817 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:18 AM

Exactly my thoughts, again, with the need for powerful erppc. The AC issue is slightly less of one, as clan LBX will be frontloaded and not burst, with solid and scatter shot modes. Hybrid AC and LBX.

#818 Edward Mattlov

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 388 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:31 AM

View PostVigilanceHawkwind, on 16 May 2014 - 08:16 AM, said:

I like the gameplay, I don't care about lore just so we are clear. I've been playing around in skunk werks based on the information we've been given so far regarding omnimech construction and weapon balancing and the results simply are worrisome. I know a lot of people are concerned that clan tech will be OP, but given the mechanics of MWO and the plan to balance clan tech, I fear it will be underwhelming. No matter what loadout I come up with for a clan mech, I find a more desirable and better performing IS equivalent.

I'm afraid the devs are looking at just straight numbers regarding damage heat, crits, and tonnage versus the mechanics of the game itself and how that favors FLD/Pinpoint damage. In this regard, clan tech is utterly underwhelming.

Yes, I have learned long ago that if a mech looks good on paper, it will probably suck on MWO.

#819 NoClass

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 192 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:20 AM

View PostEdward Mattlov, on 16 May 2014 - 08:31 AM, said:

Yes, I have learned long ago that if a mech looks good on paper, it will probably suck on MWO.

I think with the way they are handling omni construction would balance out the powerful weapons if the values and function are left alone. The dire wolf and the storm crow are the only ones that look like they could be unbalanced. However, considering that the dire wolf moves like a snail and is slow, it will have a big challenge to overcome in most maps. The ballistic carrying storm crow is a huge threat, but it is limited by ammo constraints. In my opinion anyway.

As it stands, the two pop tart clan mech available cannot break 30 max pinpoint within reasonable constraints. That puts them on an equal-disadvantageous position relative to IS mechs. The nova has a slight 5 point advantage over equivalent medium jumpers in the IS. The summoner is at a disadvantage regarding FLD, but it runs quicker than an IS poptart equivalent which I say puts it somewhat closer to net than being worse overall.

Edited by VigilanceHawkwind, 16 May 2014 - 09:26 AM.

#820 Edward Mattlov

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 388 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:29 AM

View PostVigilanceHawkwind, on 16 May 2014 - 09:20 AM, said:

I think with the way they are handling omni construction would balance out the powerful weapons if the values and function are left alone. The dire wolf and the storm crow are the only ones that look like they could be unbalanced. However, considering that the dire wolf moves like a snail and is slow, it will have a big challenge to overcome in most maps. The ballistic carrying storm crow is a huge threat, but it is limited by ammo constraints. In my opinion anyway.

As it stands, the two pop tart clan mech available cannot break 30 max pinpoint within reasonable constraints. That puts them on an equal-disadvantageous position relative to IS mechs. The nova has a slight 5 point advantage over equivalent medium jumpers in the IS. The summoner is at a disadvantage regarding FLD, but it runs quicker than an IS poptart equivalent which I say puts it somewhat closer to net than being worse overall.

The Nova Alt-B will be a beast if it is one of the variants.

Edited by Edward Mattlov, 16 May 2014 - 09:30 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users