- - - - -

Guide To Background Info And Lore Of The Mechs (Not Mech Tier List)

94 replies to this topic

#41 luxebo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 11:25 AM

Yeah, that's what I mean about embbed links. :)

#42 luigi256

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 24 December 2013 - 11:38 AM

I have to say this is one of the most fun reads I have seen in the forums. I love this kind of stuff keep it up!

#43 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 24 December 2013 - 11:39 AM

View PostShar Wolf, on 24 December 2013 - 09:59 AM, said:

I am not aware of any cannon variants that carry ammunition.... as the mech was designed to be not ammo reliant.....

Add to that the fact that it has very nearly the same loadout as the Jenner, (moving from the arms to the torso for most hardpoints) and we may or may not see it in game....

Not to mention the variants aren't really variants. Only 4 variants they can do with the timeline involve DHS or no DHS, and adding, removing, and changing the direction of an ML. So they'd all be nearly identical and at best simply offer different hardpoint locations for the weapons at best.

Sorry, Wolfhound is likely not coming under the current system.

#44 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:20 PM

Nice summary! I'm sure this took some work, and it's nice to have all this info summarized in one place.

#45 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:05 PM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 23 December 2013 - 11:58 PM, said:

For example, see this page and this page for some background on the Cicada. :unsure:

I am digging through that site, but the layout is awkward for me, not sure why though so I withhold judgement till I can say :D
Those articles did not add much to Sarna's limited info that I could really add to a general... whatever you call it >.< ...guide to the mechs.

Had not known about the heatsink issue, or a variety of other bits there though, so I will try to work that kind of thing into it maybe :rolleyes:

In other news, edited the format a little, and added a blurb for the Firestarter, because I like pyro :ph34r:

#46 Arnold J Rimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 892 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 03:33 AM

Wait, wait, wait. No Charger? The most amazing scout mech ever? Of all time?

C'mon.

Edited by Arnold J Rimmer, 25 December 2013 - 03:35 AM.

#47 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 25 December 2013 - 09:36 AM

View PostArnold J Rimmer, on 25 December 2013 - 03:33 AM, said:

Wait, wait, wait. No Charger? The most amazing scout mech ever? Of all time?

C'mon.

Was debating the value of adding that one (as in, how likely newer players were to encounter it)

Added to the list, and Merry Christmas! :)

#48 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 25 December 2013 - 01:00 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 24 December 2013 - 09:05 PM, said:

I am digging through that site, but the layout is awkward for me, not sure why though so I withhold judgement till I can say :D
Those articles did not add much to Sarna's limited info that I could really add to a general... whatever you call it >.< ...guide to the mechs.

Had not known about the heatsink issue, or a variety of other bits there though, so I will try to work that kind of thing into it maybe :D

In other news, edited the format a little, and added a blurb for the Firestarter, because I like pyro :)

Yeah, it can be a bit awkward, but there is some good info on some of the 'Mechs that isn't available on Sarna (though, it is in the older TROs).

For example, here is the page that helps to flesh out the Centurion by quite a bit.

#49 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 30 December 2013 - 02:42 PM

Crabs+ are up.

Why didn't anyone bring up the Mauler? <_<
For all I hear of that mech (never saw it myself till Mech:4) that would have been one of the first ones I would have expected to be told about, if it hadn't slipped my own mind. :)

#50 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:33 PM

Totally forgot about that one. :) I think Daboku and Mauler are also connected.

#51 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:47 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 30 December 2013 - 02:42 PM, said:

Crabs+ are up.

Why didn't anyone bring up the Mauler? :D
For all I hear of that mech (never saw it myself till Mech:4) that would have been one of the first ones I would have expected to be told about, if it hadn't slipped my own mind. <_<

The Mauler doesn't have three variants until 3060 (and requires tech that isn't era-appropriate for MWO to get there), so it is unlikely that it's going to come up anytime soon (e.g. until the Devs make a timeskip for MWO's game-world).

View Postluxebo, on 30 December 2013 - 04:33 PM, said:

Totally forgot about that one. :) I think Daboku and Mauler are also connected.
The Daboku was a failed prototype 'Mech (and an out-of-universe tie-in with the toy line from the BT animated series) that was eventually revived & reborn as the Mauler.

Also, the Daboku is (supposedly) in turn based on an older failed prototype 'Mech, the (technically-apocryphal) Linesman (which is not to be confused with the Clan-built Linebacker).

#52 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 30 December 2013 - 05:47 PM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 30 December 2013 - 04:47 PM, said:

The Mauler doesn't have three variants until 3060 (and requires tech that isn't era-appropriate for MWO to get there), so it is unlikely that it's going to come up anytime soon (e.g. until the Devs make a timeskip for MWO's game-world).

That is kinda the point of that portion of the list though: mechs that they are likely to hear about, but are unlikely to show up in the game (the Flea I am moving up when (if?) it shows.
The Mauler gets talked about more than the average mech - so it is a prime one for the list, no?

Edit: been forgetting to respond to this one >.<

View PostNRP, on 24 December 2013 - 12:20 PM, said:

Nice summary! I'm sure this took some work, and it's nice to have all this info summarized in one place.

Less work than you might expect! :)

Edited by Shar Wolf, 30 December 2013 - 05:49 PM.

#53 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:14 PM

I think I should bump this thread, it's awesome. :ph34r:

Also, as a suggestion, maybe add in certain IIC mechs that we also have as IS counterparts, like Highlander IIC, Orion IIC, Thunderbolt IIC, etc. I do see a few already, but saying you may want to create a separate spoiler for IIC mechs, as they aren't omnimechs like the rest of the Clan mechs. :D

#54 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:21 PM

View Postluxebo, on 09 January 2014 - 06:14 PM, said:

I think I should bump this thread, it's awesome. :ph34r:

Also, as a suggestion, maybe add in certain IIC mechs that we also have as IS counterparts, like Highlander IIC, Orion IIC, Thunderbolt IIC, etc. I do see a few already, but saying you may want to create a separate spoiler for IIC mechs, as they aren't omnimechs like the rest of the Clan mechs. :D

Thanks for the bump :lol:

Haven't forgotten it - but life and limited internet is keeping it slow.
(that and I want to do more than just copy-paste the articles from the other sites.)

Did spend some time on Solaris7.com, but the only real thing it showed that Sarna didn't was the actual paper doll - which (while very useful for theorizing hardpoint potentials - or actually playing the tabletop game :lol:) was of little use to this article.

To add to my earlier comment about it being less hard that it might seem - hardest part is not plagiarising the other articles. :angry:
(plagiarising isn't in their dictionary or something? keeps telling me it's spelled wrong)

#55 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:26 PM

Plagiarizing I think is the word.

No problem, life should come first. :D

#56 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:49 AM

View Postluxebo, on 09 January 2014 - 10:26 PM, said:

Plagiarizing I think is the word.

With a "Z"....
>.<

#57 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:41 PM

View Postluigi256, on 24 December 2013 - 11:38 AM, said:

I have to say this is one of the most fun reads I have seen in the forums. I love this kind of stuff keep it up!

I continue to wish PGI would use some of this stuff. They've got such an awesome IP that's been so underused. Every single new hero and 'mech should come with this sort of thing.

Edited by Victor Morson, 10 January 2014 - 01:42 PM.

#58 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:23 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 10 January 2014 - 10:49 AM, said:

With a "Z"....
>.<

But that was what I found from spellchecker. :ph34r:

View PostVictor Morson, on 10 January 2014 - 01:41 PM, said:

I continue to wish PGI would use some of this stuff. They've got such an awesome IP that's been so underused. Every single new hero and 'mech should come with this sort of thing.

I think Garth did say he would use F8L's mech reorganization guide for UI 2.0 and the main page here. But yeah, I agree. Please no more absolutely dumb heroes like Grid Iron.

Speaking of F8L, how did the tournament go for Blazing Aces vs Forgotten 8th Legion? Didn't catch on to that, been rather busy lately.

#59 Craig Steele

• 2,106 posts
  • LocationCSR Mountbatton awaiting clearance for tactical deployment

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:48 PM

Nice work, If I may I'll add a little from my resources but you have most of it down pat :P

Commando : Home grown Lyran mech.
Cicada: picked up by the SLDF to replace Locusts, only limited numbers produced.
Blackjack: Had a poor reputation amongst pilots for weak manufacture / construction. Unsubstantiated.
Shadowhawk: Designed as a multi purpose mech TR 3025 (I cannot find a reference to recon)
Griffon: A pair of Griffons stand guard in the Archon's throne room
Dragon: Submitted in competition (TR 3025) to the SHD (it lost) and was subsequently commissioned by the Co Ordinator as the basis of the combines private army.
Cataphract: House Liao Handbook which is the first reference of the Cataphract has none of this, but states that was "intended to become the new mainstay of elite Capellean Regiments....." Can you direct me to your source?
Victor: Built as a Heavy Mech in 2510 under SLDF contract (TR 3025)

A nice body of work, kudo's to you ^_^

#60 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:04 PM

You are going to make me go back and edit again aren't you? :P

View PostCraig Steele, on 10 January 2014 - 10:48 PM, said:

Commando : Home grown Lyran mech.

Forgot to put that in didn't I? >.<

Cicada: picked up by the SLDF to replace Locusts, only limited numbers produced.

Gives me a bit more to say about that mech.

Blackjack: Had a poor reputation amongst pilots for weak manufacture / construction. Unsubstantiated.

Was actually kinda burning out when I did the first two mediums (trying to do to much to quickly - not serious burn out though)

Shadowhawk: Designed as a multi purpose mech TR 3025 (I cannot find a reference to recon)

Sarna and Solaris refered to it several times as a reconnaissance mech

Griffon: A pair of Griffons stand guard in the Archon's throne room

Cannot believe I forgot that bit. :ph34r:

Dragon: Submitted in competition (TR 3025) to the SHD (it lost) and was subsequently commissioned by the Co Ordinator as the basis of the combines private army.

Cannot believe I forgot to put that bit in either

Cataphract: House Liao Handbook which is the first reference of the Cataphract has none of this, but states that was "intended to become the new mainstay of elite Capellean Regiments....." Can you direct me to your source?

From the novels actually - if I recall correctly when Kai goes to Solaris they talk about the Cataphract for a bit.
- will try to dig up the precise reference.

Victor: Built as a Heavy Mech in 2510 under SLDF contract (TR 3025)

Sarna lists it as 2508 - but I will take your word for it. ^_^

/sigh
More work. -_-

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users