110 replies to this topic

#81 Itsalrightwithme

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 391 posts
  • LocationCambridge, MA, USA

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:39 AM

View PostKarpundir, on 10 February 2014 - 10:32 AM, said:

Listen to Jman... he is one of the best and most well-known HBK pilots in the game!

To add to this: JMan brings lots of ammo because yes, he plans to live long enough to use most or all of it. This -- restraint / tactical thinking -- is something all HBK pilots should learn.

#82 Jman5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:56 AM

View PostItsalrightwithme, on 10 February 2014 - 11:39 AM, said:

To add to this: JMan brings lots of ammo because yes, he plans to live long enough to use most or all of it. This -- restraint / tactical thinking -- is something all HBK pilots should learn.

Haha good point, I actually didn't consider this. If you're often dying or winning games in the early or mid-game with you hunchback then 5 tons is overkill. All I know is that I burn through 29+ rounds of ac/20 ammo in about 1/3 of my matches.

Ammo is one of those things that has to be tailored to fit your playstyle. I used have a centurion build that was very aggressive. I didn't need to bring a lot of ammo with him because it was win or die very quickly.

Edited by Jman5, 10 February 2014 - 12:04 PM.

#83 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:19 PM

View PostJman5, on 10 February 2014 - 10:18 AM, said:

Don't underestimate the small lasers. They are a great source of DPS when you get in close. and it takes forever to overheat.

SL are great when waiting for the mech to cool down.
I run 4 SL on my BJ1DC in addition to the dual AC2 main gun, they work for point defend and mop up in late game.

#84 RiotHero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 311 posts
  • LocationDetroit

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:58 PM

I've yet to see a Grid Iron in game that uses the missile hardpoint. Of the half dozen or so I've seen, every build is something that has been done millions of times on the G. Why pay real money for a hero mech and not try and use what makes it different?

I know, I know, It's their mech and they can do what they want. That doesn't mean I can't think it's odd. Almost like all of these ERLL embers I see running around lol. 8 hard points, 4 of them heat free pure dps and they try raven build.

#85 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:07 PM

View PostRiotHero, on 10 February 2014 - 10:58 PM, said:

I've yet to see a Grid Iron in game that uses the missile hardpoint.

I have seen several that stick an LRM5 there for indirect fire potential - but I will agree - far to few use it.

#86 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:52 PM

I've yet to see a Grid Iron in game that uses the missile hardpoint. Of the half dozen or so I've seen, every build is something that has been done millions of times on the G. Why pay real money for a hero mech and not try and use what makes it different?

I know, I know, It's their mech and they can do what they want. That doesn't mean I can't think it's odd. Almost like all of these ERLL embers I see running around lol. 8 hard points, 4 of them heat free pure dps and they try raven build.

View PostShar Wolf, on 10 February 2014 - 11:07 PM, said:

I have seen several that stick an LRM5 there for indirect fire potential - but I will agree - far to few use it.

GRID IRON - Longthrow
This is my GI, a hybrid of the triple AC2 HBK-4G and HBK-4J.
2x AC2 w 5t
1x LRM15 w 2t
XL 250
10 DHS

I have tweak it a little since previous build, after getting double basic I dont really need the 2 external DHS, the engine true DHS is serving me better too.

Too bad the missile comes out in 10+5 wave, if there were 2 missile crit I would have installed 2 LRM10s.
Works as a direct support mech, rocking and shaking target with the twin AC2 and LRM.
Always shadow the team Atlas or other assault mechs.

Edited by xengk, 10 February 2014 - 11:56 PM.

#87 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:05 AM

I've yet to see a Grid Iron in game that uses the missile hardpoint.

I have, but I have yet to see one that wasn't reduced to rubble in a matter of moments.

#88 Dagon Zur

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 142 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:31 AM

I'm still trying to find out what is the best G.I.-specific build (the one WITH missile harpoint in use) , so far, i had some good games with ;

at 80 kph /with tweak:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...09b4ecd9fd888a7

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e675ae34cd0b0e0

at 71 kph /with tweak:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1b3ba56353a3f33

..but both builds may work better with more armor/ammo/engine instead of those SRMs, but then it is not G.I. -specific ;)

..good thing is that SRM4 laucher helps to score critical hits on armorless enemy, and it does add (8pts) to overall alpha.It is not useless as i tought it would be.

2 similar builds but less conservative:

"One-Armed-Zombie"
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...73db2603082ee81

"Suicidal Heretic"
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8a1632c22924216

..i have yet to try the "Heretic" in the field (i never, ever, had XL in Hunch), loose hunch=die horribly, lol

..GI is a fun mech,and it will be much better once SRM reg is fixed

Edited by Dagon Zur, 11 February 2014 - 12:18 PM.

#89 Inflatable Fish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 563 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 04:03 AM

kind of resurrecting this thread to share a GI build I've been having amazing fun and plenty success with lately:

HBK-GI "Red"

has something for all ranges, takes a good while to overheat and delivers a steady stream of dps as well as a reasonable alpha. I think I've found the love hunch of my life.

Edited by Inflatable Fish, 21 April 2014 - 04:04 AM.

#90 Red Line Pilot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 12:05 PM

This is quiet a fun set up.

2x Large pulse laser
1x artemis SRM6
2x Machine gun
XL275

This looks pretty fun too
AC10
3x Medium laser
SRM6
XL275

#91 FEK315

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 337 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:48 PM

Grid Iron...
2 med pulse
1 sml
1 AC2
1 AC5
1 SRM5
Artillery Strike
What can't I say about this mech. It is everything I wanted. Now I'm just going for the speed tweak!
I love this mech. The sniping is outrageous and the med pulse keep away the smallies.
Extra Mun muns, I rarely cash less then 75 grand average I about 100,000.
Grid Iron...I love you :P

#92 Randolph Yuan

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationShanghai, China

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:08 PM

View PostFEK315, on 29 April 2014 - 07:48 PM, said:

Grid Iron...
2 med pulse
1 sml
1 AC2
1 AC5
1 SRM5
Artillery Strike
What can't I say about this mech. It is everything I wanted. Now I'm just going for the speed tweak!
I love this mech. The sniping is outrageous and the med pulse keep away the smallies.
Extra Mun muns, I rarely cash less then 75 grand average I about 100,000.
Grid Iron...I love you :)

What does the SRM5?

#93 Dago Red

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 672 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:08 AM

Been running this lately.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...80004ce26a98b13

May need a little tweaking but I've been having a hell of a time brawling in this thing. Has a bit of the old "sandblasting" problem but I don't mind getting kill stolen too much when I already ripped half off an Atlas off. Plus it runs the coolest out of any of my current builds so low stress ja?

#94 Max Von Lakes

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 164 posts
  • LocationThe Lakes, England

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:24 AM

back to the old school;
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5186414bb0895e6

#95 Mad Ox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 358 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 02 May 2014 - 06:56 AM

AC/10 and SRM6 were pretty fun mix up but got me in way to close with STD engine and not enough speed. I gave up using XL engine with hunchback unless I still to only far ranged combat. XL too easy to take out hunch and drop mech.

Currently doing 2 AC2, 1 LRM10+Art, 2 SL and 1 ML or 3 SL (Forget which I was last on with energy weapons)

AC's give me quite nasty ranged and up close, while LRM10 great for start of battle with all the hiding going on.

Gives me a bit more variety then standard AC/20 build which i already run on my 4G. and fits with how I play them better.

4G is an Assault Body Guard
Grid Iron treat as a Line Backer sorta every where and fill in for anything.

#96 Dazzer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 216 posts
  • LocationSpain next to Gibraltar

Posted 03 May 2014 - 10:34 AM

My Grid Iron ´Line backer´

I have been having surprising success with this build to the point that I added the LBX Mk2 module to it.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c8e182f5ee5e75a

wep group one 2 LL and 1 LBX

Wep Group two LBX

Wep Group 3 1 LL and LBX

These three wep groups give very easy Heat management and when you loss the LBX you still have 1 LL to fight with which is a surprise to many :unsure:

Well I am wearing my flame proof pajamas flame away ! lol

#97 Ghost0r

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 07:52 AM

I know, old thread is old, but my post is definitely not worth a whole new thread, so...

GRID IRON

+Target Info Gathering
+ Adv. Seismic Sensor
+ Radar Deprivation

+ AC/20 Cooldown 5
+ SRM6 Cooldown 5

I really like this one, but you need to adapt to being slow. I love picking out lone targets with Seismic Sensor, stepping around the corner and blow them to bits. Then hide again.

#98 UrsusMorologus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • 616 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 08:36 AM

This is how I run mine -- HBK-GI.

Its mostly for very-close fire-support combat. I try to avoid charging around too much and instead focus on stuff that is already wounded. That gives the LB10X and the Streak a better chance at working their crit magic.

I tried to run an SRM4 for a while but it (a) cost too much armor and (B) I couldnt justify XL engine in a close brawler support mech. The streak is 100% chance to hit if you have full visual on the target, and that makes it useful for legging enemy lights and popping crits on larger mechs, but it is poor damage against armor.

Its a bit different from normal hunchbacks, a little weaker on spike damage, but a little more interesting to play

#99 Phobic Wraith

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 252 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 09 October 2014 - 08:50 AM

You should be running at least a 250 rated engine on every hunchback but joke builds.

because: morality.

Think of the children.

Seriously though,
GRID IRON

Drop the SRM 6 to a 4 for more ammo, or mess with the armor in the arms. They're pretty expendable.

EDIT: looks like Dago beat me to it.

Edited by Phobic Wraith, 09 October 2014 - 08:54 AM.

#100 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 11 October 2014 - 12:44 PM

This is what I bring around and I try to flank or brawl with it when stuff happens.

GRID IRON

The usual AC20 with 3.5 tons ammo (24 shots) and 1 SRM 4 with 1 ton ammo (25 shots) so I group those two together and all the 3 Medium Lasers together.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users