#41 juxstapo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 11 January 2014 - 02:18 PM

View PostTheGunKnows, on 11 January 2014 - 02:05 PM, said:

Running with a Gauss and three ML. Fun fun fun.

Quarterback. Hey Jasper, go long!

soooo just stick with mah BlackJack then?

#42 TheGunKnows

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 27 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationJapan

Posted 11 January 2014 - 02:51 PM

View Postjuxstapo, on 11 January 2014 - 02:18 PM, said:

soooo just stick with mah BlackJack then?

If you like it, sure.

#43 N a p e s

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 12 January 2014 - 10:21 PM

I'm really starting to regret having bought this thing. Hunchbacks (4G and 4H) are some of my favorite mechs in the game but I cannot get the GI to work for me. That one missile slot calls for me to put something there but a single SRM6 launcher seems a little pointless. So I'm stuck with a mech that tries to do a bunch of different things really badly or I forget the missile hardpoint and just go with an AC20 but thats what my 4G is for.

#44 MungFuSensei

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 254 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:24 AM

GRID IRON

Went 697 damage on its first run. Held a corner pretty well against some assaults. It doesn't have much direct punch, but it generally forces enemies to run away. Basically, it's good at stripping armor from everywhere at once, not so much at singular components. This results in high damage numbers, but not really any kills. A good support mech. Don't run it if you're a lone wolf.

#45 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:54 AM

sigh

225Std, Endo, 11 DSHSs; AC/10 w/ three tons, SRM-4 w/FC & one ton, three medium lasers.

The trick is to know when the lay off the arm-mounts for heat reasons …

#46 ColdPsyker1

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 243 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:48 AM

View PostNapes339, on 12 January 2014 - 10:21 PM, said:

I'm really starting to regret having bought this thing. Hunchbacks (4G and 4H) are some of my favorite mechs in the game but I cannot get the GI to work for me. That one missile slot calls for me to put something there but a single SRM6 launcher seems a little pointless. So I'm stuck with a mech that tries to do a bunch of different things really badly or I forget the missile hardpoint and just go with an AC20 but thats what my 4G is for.

Sadly I have found the same thing. I have pretty much been running it as a 4G I bought with real money. ;)

#47 N a p e s

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:15 PM

View PostColdPsyker1, on 13 January 2014 - 03:48 AM, said:

Sadly I have found the same thing. I have pretty much been running it as a 4G I bought with real money. :ph34r:

Gotta be honest, I take back all the bad things I said.

I simplified what I was doing with my loadouts a bit and came up with this build GRID IRON

Love it! Usually not a fan of the UAC5 but it works on this thing and in conjunction with the SRM6 and the trio of MLas theres plenty of fire power for medium-short range.

Basically, I hadn't seen a 200K+ game in a while and with this mech I got 2 almost back to back.

#48 jper4

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:34 AM

i tried the UAC/3ML version for a bit but i found the UAC hates me and likes to jam at an inverse rate to the distance i am from the enemy. 600m away? multiple shots no jams, face to face with an atlas inside 100m? jams first shot. also refuse to not use the missile slot so i hd to find something to toss in there. tried ALRM 10 but then i couldn;t find anything more than an ac2 and a lone ac2 isn't worth the heat to me. LRM5 not bothering with since it's not a Locust.

finally ended up going back to one of my meh builds i had tried earlier and been using that for a bit now. std 235, 11 DHS, 3ML, AC5 w/ 2 tons of ammo and ASRM 4 with 1 ton of ammo. nothing to write home about but at least it's more consistent than any other build i've tried for this. had an AC10/ 3ML version that was ok (no missiles and an extra ton of ammo) but wanted to get some use from the missile slot.

like others have said if it had 2 missile/1 ballistic slot instead of the other way around might have been better. since other than MG it's tough to get the second ballistic slot used without an xl and i don;t trust xl in hunchies given the life expectancy of any hunch in a match.

#49 N a p e s

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 15 January 2014 - 09:41 AM

View PostTanar, on 15 January 2014 - 04:34 AM, said:

i tried the UAC/3ML version for a bit but i found the UAC hates me and likes to jam at an inverse rate to the distance i am from the enemy. 600m away? multiple shots no jams, face to face with an atlas inside 100m? jams first shot. also refuse to not use the missile slot so i hd to find something to toss in there. tried ALRM 10 but then i couldn;t find anything more than an ac2 and a lone ac2 isn't worth the heat to me. LRM5 not bothering with since it's not a Locust.

finally ended up going back to one of my meh builds i had tried earlier and been using that for a bit now. std 235, 11 DHS, 3ML, AC5 w/ 2 tons of ammo and ASRM 4 with 1 ton of ammo. nothing to write home about but at least it's more consistent than any other build i've tried for this. had an AC10/ 3ML version that was ok (no missiles and an extra ton of ammo) but wanted to get some use from the missile slot.

like others have said if it had 2 missile/1 ballistic slot instead of the other way around might have been better. since other than MG it's tough to get the second ballistic slot used without an xl and i don;t trust xl in hunchies given the life expectancy of any hunch in a match.

Just thought I'd share a build that I used before my previously posted build. its actually kind of similar to what you said you reverted back to but I somehow manage more ammo, a bigger engine, a bigger SRM launcher and an MG. I call it Snowflake

Admittedly, the ASRM6 is there as a backup since its got too few reloads to be the main threat but it does make for a good extra punch in times of need.

#50 jper4

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:29 AM

View PostNapes339, on 15 January 2014 - 09:41 AM, said:

Just thought I'd share a build that I used before my previously posted build. its actually kind of similar to what you said you reverted back to but I somehow manage more ammo, a bigger engine, a bigger SRM launcher and an MG. I call it Snowflake

Admittedly, the ASRM6 is there as a backup since its got too few reloads to be the main threat but it does make for a good extra punch in times of need.

yeah i dropped the ASRM from a 6 to the 4 just ebcause i'd get a few more shots and less heat. i never upgraded to ferro so i think that's how you squeeze a bit more stuff in. maybe i should and see what i can do. maybe an extra ton of srm ammo to make the srm 6 last longer since 2 tons of AC5 ammo usually lasts me til the hunch gets blown off :) guess i'll mess around some more.

edit- i think i see the difference, i have ams on mine and no FF (tried adding FF but i end up running out of slots for the second ton of srm ammo)

Edited by Tanar, 15 January 2014 - 10:37 AM.

#51 N a p e s

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:35 AM

View PostTanar, on 15 January 2014 - 10:29 AM, said:

yeah i dropped the ASRM from a 6 to the 4 just ebcause i'd get a few more shots and less heat. i never upgraded to ferro so i think that's how you squeeze a bit more stuff in. maybe i should and see what i can do. maybe an extra ton of srm ammo to make the srm 6 last longer since 2 tons of AC5 ammo usually lasts me til the hunch gets blown off :) guess i'll mess around some more.

edit- i think i see the difference, i have ams on mine and no FF (tried adding FF but i end up running out of slots for the second ton of srm ammo)

Ya its pretty tricky to maximize the loadout on this mech considering most builds use FF, ENDO, DHS and even artemis which really kills the number of available slots. Most of the first builds I wanted to try on this thing ended up being 1 or 2 slots short or 1 to 1.5 tons too heavy...

#52 TygerLily

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:38 AM

Got mine elited in a just a few days running Standard 225, AC/20, three ML, and an SRM4.

#53 ColdPsyker1

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 243 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:02 PM

View PostNapes339, on 14 January 2014 - 10:15 PM, said:

Gotta be honest, I take back all the bad things I said.

I simplified what I was doing with my loadouts a bit and came up with this build GRID IRON

Love it! Usually not a fan of the UAC5 but it works on this thing and in conjunction with the SRM6 and the trio of MLas theres plenty of fire power for medium-short range.

Basically, I hadn't seen a 200K+ game in a while and with this mech I got 2 almost back to back.

I will give this a try. Thank you very much!

#54 jper4

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:07 PM

yet another attempt at this thing. ALRM 10 w/ 2 tons ammo, 2MG and 3MPLs, AMS. lob LRMs for the early part of the match to collect potential assists then when ammo's almost gone or the big push from either side starts, enemy stuff has (hopefully) been beaten up enough so the more pinpoint MPLs can actually take off a few limbs and steal a kill here and there. MGs are kinda just there because i didn't want the ballistics slot empty. could probably dump them for more DHS i suppose. slightly better than the previous ones since it doesn;t have to get close right away so it lives a little longer and the MPLs are slightly more of a light deterrent than regular MLs due to quicker leg killing potential.

tried ALRM 20 and 3ML but ended up doing worse.

#55 MungFuSensei

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 254 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:24 PM

View PostTanar, on 16 January 2014 - 08:07 PM, said:

yet another attempt at this thing. ALRM 10 w/ 2 tons ammo, 2MG and 3MPLs, AMS. lob LRMs for the early part of the match to collect potential assists then when ammo's almost gone or the big push from either side starts, enemy stuff has (hopefully) been beaten up enough so the more pinpoint MPLs can actually take off a few limbs and steal a kill here and there. MGs are kinda just there because i didn't want the ballistics slot empty. could probably dump them for more DHS i suppose. slightly better than the previous ones since it doesn;t have to get close right away so it lives a little longer and the MPLs are slightly more of a light deterrent than regular MLs due to quicker leg killing potential.

tried ALRM 20 and 3ML but ended up doing worse.

The chassis just doesn't like LRMs. You're neutering your brawling potential for mediocre long range potential. It's just not worth it. Put in the ASRM6, save yourself 2 tons, and be a proper brawler. Don't worry about the machine guns, they help quite a bit. Plus, people will still go for the damn hunch, because they're dumb (happens every time). All you'll lose is a couple machine guns and an MPL, leaving the majority of your firepower intact. This is great because the hunch makes an excellent shield, and you don't have to worry so much about protecting it. Instead, it will protect you.

#56 Viscount Hood

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:20 AM

I've tried a number of different builds. All with standard 200 engine. 1) LRM20, 2 x MG, 2 ML, 1MPL: The LRM20 doesn't work because of the 10 missile limit per salvo. Average in matches was 120 damage and best matches were 300 damage. 2) Also tried the 4G can opener build: 2 ML, 1 AC/20, 1 MG, 1 SRM4 which works well. Average was 300 damage and best 600+. But that is not fun because I already have a 4G like this. Really I want to do something else that is different and effective. AC/10 is very unsatisfactory and just doesn't do damage fast enough, but LBX/10 + 1 MG combination works well for me for other mechs. The problem I have with the Grid Iron is it's just not fast enough to pull this off. The 4H can do this better. My current thoughts are to take it back to the original 200XL engine and experiment with twin AC/5. See if that works and before thinking about a faster engine.

#57 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:35 AM

Your best bet is to stick with the tried and true 3 Medium Laser + AC20 build, that missile slot is pretty useless right now until SRMs are improved.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4bacba9a4473d06

However I will admit I had fun with this dual UAC5 build some time ago:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...11a14d58cdc4016

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 17 January 2014 - 06:36 AM.

#58 Motroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Locationmost likely gone

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:50 AM

View PostMungFuSensei, on 16 January 2014 - 10:24 PM, said:

The chassis just doesn't like LRMs. You're neutering your brawling potential for mediocre long range potential. It's just not worth it. Put in the ASRM6, save yourself 2 tons, and be a proper brawler. Don't worry about the machine guns, they help quite a bit. Plus, people will still go for the damn hunch, because they're dumb (happens every time). All you'll lose is a couple machine guns and an MPL, leaving the majority of your firepower intact. This is great because the hunch makes an excellent shield, and you don't have to worry so much about protecting it. Instead, it will protect you.

I like that thinking here. Will give it a try sometimes. Maybe with an energy upgrade to the non-hunch adjacent arm. LPL for more brawling ability maybe to the ASRM6 and the 2 ML....
That reminds me of the situation where I tried to take advantage of that ballistic hardpoint in that CDA-3M. Ended up with a single AC2 and 4 ML in exchange for speed. Maybe the HBK-GI can do something similar. A single AC2 with 2 t ammo for longrange ganking and ASRM6/LPL/2ML.....

#59 jper4

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:36 AM

View PostMungFuSensei, on 16 January 2014 - 10:24 PM, said:

yeah LRMs weren't my preferred choice had kept an asrm 4 before due to heat with a 6 but kept dying horribly and ineffectually. i figured the lrms at least would force me to stay back til later in the match (patience has always been a problem of mine. i suppose i can try it and toss in a couple extra DHS with the weight and see how that works.

and yeah Hunchcentric targeting is the main reason why i've considered just tossing MGs there. had considered a LPL as well on the non hunch side arm but i think i ran into too much weight issues with what i wanted to do with the rest of the build.

#60 Inflatable Fish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 563 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 07:49 AM

this build is a fairly competent brawler with a decent alpha:

GRID IRON

can swap the ac/10 and a heat sink for an ac/5 to upgrade the engine to 250 and have a bit more ammo, but I found that 1 ton of srm ammo is enough if you use it sparingly.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users