Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:41 AM

http://www.reddit.co...players/ceokx0e

According to PGI Fox, there is a business relationship with mmometric.com, and it looks like they are getting the offending ads taken down.

I was just made aware of this; and I am investigating. Reply to this comment if you have any specific questions; if I can reply I will.

[–]Markemp [score hidden] 3 minutes ago

Does IGP have any business relationship with mmometrics.com? They appear to be the ones that the ads link to.

[–]PGI_FoxPiranha Games [score hidden] 2 minutes ago

Yes, they do. I have asked Marketing to contact them and to remove the offending ads; Google has also been notified.

#223 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:44 AM

View PostHeffay, on 13 January 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:

http://www.reddit.co...players/ceokx0e

According to PGI Fox, there is a business relationship with mmometric.com, and it looks like they are getting the offending ads taken down.

Something tells me

that this relationship

is going to be shorter

than an Elizabeth Taylor

marriage.

(and yes I realize that

the reference shows my age)

#224 Texas Merc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:56 AM

I knew it was Kong all along muahahahahaha

#225 Chronojam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:59 AM

View PostViterbi, on 13 January 2014 - 10:45 AM, said:

We're investigating this issue and are working with Google to take down these ads. Obviously it is not our policy to use community-created artwork without permission. We create most of our ads in-house with our own artwork, and everything created for release has an approval process. This ad was not created or approved by our Marketing team.

Our apologies to Shimmering Sword who created the art, we're trying to make this right. We've taken measures to have the ads removed ASAP and will be working with our partners to verify the approval process of asset creation. Thanks for pointing this out everyone, we'll take it from here.

Thanks for the update. Although, it is buried here in K-town, unfortunately.

#226 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:02 AM

View PostChronojam, on 13 January 2014 - 10:59 AM, said:

Thanks for the update. Although, it is buried here in K-town, unfortunately.

I'm kinda surprised that once

it was moved here, that

4 other identical threads

didn't pop up in MWO News

immediately after.

#227 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:03 AM

View PostViterbi, on 13 January 2014 - 10:45 AM, said:

We're investigating this issue and are working with Google to take down these ads. Obviously it is not our policy to use community-created artwork without permission. We create most of our ads in-house with our own artwork, and everything created for release has an approval process. This ad was not created or approved by our Marketing team.

Our apologies to Shimmering Sword who created the art, we're trying to make this right. We've taken measures to have the ads removed ASAP and will be working with our partners to verify the approval process of asset creation. Thanks for pointing this out everyone, we'll take it from here.

you guys should give Shimmering Sword a job or something as an apology

#228 Blurry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • LocationGreat White North

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:14 AM

So why was it thought it was disgruntled players that did this?

#229 Kaio-Kerensky x10

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 331 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:15 AM

View PostBlurry, on 13 January 2014 - 11:14 AM, said:

Because Roadbeer is allowed to troll unfettered as long as it's trolling people who express dissatisfaction about MWO.

#230 Boojum G

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:17 AM

Mainly because that way it's the fault of mean trolls that hate the game rather than someone working for (or contracted by) PGI or IGP.

#231 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:19 AM

View PostZharot, on 13 January 2014 - 11:15 AM, said:

Because Roadbeer is allowed to troll unfettered as long as it's trolling people who express dissatisfaction about MWO.

1. I wasn't the one who posited the theory.
2. I'm fairly certain I get moderated more than others.
3. Posted Image

It looked extremely amateurish.

In other news...
Odd place to move the thread.

Edited by Roadbeer, 13 January 2014 - 11:23 AM.

#232 Bagheera

• 3,920 posts
  • LocationStrong and Pretty

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:23 AM

View PostRoadbeer, on 13 January 2014 - 11:02 AM, said:

I'm kinda surprised that once

it was moved here, that

4 other identical threads

didn't pop up in MWO News

immediately after.

Right? I'm pretty sure this is the first time that's happened.

View PostRoadbeer, on 13 January 2014 - 11:19 AM, said:

In other news...
Odd place to move the thread.

Another first. Is this the dawn of a new era for k-town? :D

Spoiler Alert: No.

#233 Wrenchfarm

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:39 AM

Glad to see this moved out of K-town. It shouldn't have been dumped there in the first place. I hope the mods who were trolling up the thread while it was in K-town are embarrassed to have their posts see the light of day in the forum proper.

So PGI admits that this was a real thing that happened under their watch. I wonder how fast the lunatics claiming it was all a conspiracy from the "toxic community" will admit they were wrong.

#234 Kaijin

• 2,137 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:55 AM

View PostDocBach, on 13 January 2014 - 11:03 AM, said:

you guys should give Shimmering Sword a job or something as an apology

Cut someone's vacation time and cut SS a check, perhaps.

#235 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:13 PM

View PostWrenchfarm, on 13 January 2014 - 11:39 AM, said:

So PGI admits that this was a real thing that happened under their watch. I wonder how fast the lunatics claiming it was all a conspiracy from the "toxic community" will admit they were wrong.

Probably around the same time that the Neckbeards claiming that it was an intentional misuse of SS's material do. I'm not holding my breath either.

View PostWrenchfarm, on 13 January 2014 - 11:39 AM, said:

Glad to see this moved out of K-town. It shouldn't have been dumped there in the first place. I hope the mods who were trolling up the thread while it was in K-town are embarrassed to have their posts see the light of day in the forum proper.

LOL those without shame talking about embarrassment, that's rich.

#236 Wrenchfarm

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:27 PM

View PostRoadbeer, on 13 January 2014 - 12:13 PM, said:

Probably around the same time that the Neckbeards claiming that it was an intentional misuse of SS's material do. I'm not holding my breath either.

LOL those without shame talking about embarrassment, that's rich.

How wasn't it intentional? A marketing team scooped some internet art thinking they could get away with it. That's intentional.

Don't tell me "they probably thought all BT art was up for grabs!" because for one, only one of the pictures used for the ads was from a BT sourcebook, the other was a piece SS did on private commission, not owned by anyone BT related. Secondly, given the legal quagmire of the BT/MW franchise, you better believe even the least professional marketing group would be aware of all the problems and potential landmines using assets from the BT world. They wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole if they knew what was good for them.

They knowingly stole material from what they assumed was some anonymous fan that would never find out. They took someone's work without compensating or even asking them to use in their ads. That is straight up theft.

PGI should have moved the second they found out about this, if for nothing else than to save face and show that they wouldn't tolerate any dirty dealing. Instead, they ignored it for days, shuttled the thread to K-town, and let their crack moderators and pet-trolls **** on everyone that said "hey, this isn't cool."

Every facet of MWO is run like some rinky-dink two-bit operation. Everyone involved should be ashamed.

#237 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:30 PM

View PostWrenchfarm, on 13 January 2014 - 12:27 PM, said:

How wasn't it intentional? A marketing team scooped some internet art thinking they could get away with it. That's intentional.

Don't tell me "they probably thought all BT art was up for grabs!" because for one, only one of the pictures used for the ads was from a BT sourcebook, the other was a piece SS did on private commission, not owned by anyone BT related. Secondly, given the legal quagmire of the BT/MW franchise, you better believe even the least professional marketing group would be aware of all the problems and potential landmines using assets from the BT world. They wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole if they knew what was good for them.

They knowingly stole material from what they assumed was some anonymous fan that would never find out. They took someone's work without compensating or even asking them to use in their ads. That is straight up theft.

PGI should have moved the second they found out about this, if for nothing else than to save face and show that they wouldn't tolerate any dirty dealing. Instead, they ignored it for days, shuttled the thread to K-town, and let their crack moderators and pet-trolls **** on everyone that said "hey, this isn't cool."

Every facet of MWO is run like some rinky-dink two-bit operation. Everyone involved should be ashamed.

Posted Image

#238 Kyle Polulak

<member/>

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 584 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:34 PM

View PostWrenchfarm, on 13 January 2014 - 12:27 PM, said:

PGI should have moved the second they found out about this, if for nothing else than to save face and show that they wouldn't tolerate any dirty dealing. Instead, they ignored it for days, shuttled the thread to K-town, and let their crack moderators and pet-trolls **** on everyone that said &quot;hey, this isn't cool.&quot;

Your colourful description of our operations aside; you're right. This was a rinky-dink thing to happen and once I was made aware of the issue (this morning) I took steps to contact Google; find out who created the ad, get the ad removed, get you the facts and move this thread back to somewhere public. I am also here to answer any questions if you have any.

Also this kind of action is not something I take lightly; it is definitely "not cool".

#239 Sadist Cain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 605 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:41 PM

View PostHeffay, on 13 January 2014 - 07:31 AM, said:

We still don't know if it was a company outsourced by IGP, or a click farmer/someone abusing referral bonuses. It's a bit early to be laying the blame at anyone's feet.

That's my point, even if outsourced, you check to ensure whether the company doing is their job right as ultimately the buck stops with you and has your name on it.

I regularly work courses involving third party providers of all shapes and sizes, even if they fail to perform their job its my job to monitor this know thing haven't been done properly and rectify the situation accordingly.

View PostKyle Polulak, on 13 January 2014 - 12:34 PM, said:

Your colourful description of our operations aside; you're right. This was a rinky-dink thing to happen and once I was made aware of the issue (this morning) I took steps to contact Google; find out who created the ad, get the ad removed, get you the facts and move this thread back to somewhere public. I am also here to answer any questions if you have any.

Also this kind of action is not something I take lightly; it is definitely "not cool".

Good to see you taking the bull by the horns as it were. I do have to ask though how has this taken so long to be passed to your gaze? it's disconcerting to think this kinda thing can slip through the cracks.

Edited by Sadist Cain, 13 January 2014 - 12:46 PM.

#240 Kyle Polulak

<member/>

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 584 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:43 PM

View PostSadist Cain, on 13 January 2014 - 12:41 PM, said:

That's my point, even if outsourced, you check to ensure whether the company doing is their job right as ultimately the buck stops with you and has your name on it.

I regularly work courses involving third party providers of all shapes and sizes, even if they fail to perform their job its my job to monitor this know thing haven't been done properly and rectify the situation accordingly.

The company was outsourced by IGP and not a single soul at PGI had been given any proofs for this campaign's artwork. I am working with IGP to find out who there, if anyone, had an opportunity to veto this artwork as it contained copyrighted material.

Basic Internet Marketing 101 decrees that a proof should've been sent and approved. This is a process that will definitely happen now; but I desperately want to find out why it happened in the first place. I'm obsessed with learning.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users