53 replies to this topic

#1 Garth Erlam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,756 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • YouTube: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:02 PM

Q: Will destruction of one or both side torsos result in "coring" of an XL engine? [Solis Obscuri]
A: As of right now, yes. It may change, though it will at the very least have an extremely bad impact should you lose a torso piece :) [GARTH]

Q: What's your favorite Crusader variant? [Solis Obscuri]
A: I think the 3R base model - well rounded, good weapons - though I'd drop the MG's for more ML's and heatsinks. the 7L maybe too - man that'd be fun. [GARTH]

Q: Are the Base capture mechanics based off of locations (i.e. stand in the circle), destruction (i.e. destroy all these buildings/turrets/etc), or some combination there of? [PirateNixon]
A: Currently it is a location (square, actually) based one, but we're tweaking it all the time. It'd be fun to mix it up though, eh? [GARTH]

Q: Is it possible to get into battle unrepaired? Say you lost an arm, decide not to repair, can you go into battle still? (in World of Tanks you can't) [VK4502B]
A: Absolutely - in fact Dennis did that just yesterday (accidentally). We're working on making the warning system more clear :mellow: [GARTH]

Q: Will Founders Packs still be available for purchase after the game goes to open beta. [QuantumStorm]
A: They will not be available after August 7th. [GARTH]

Hope you enjoyed these answers - and no, Solis Obscuri did not pay me off to answer two, I just liked both questions :blink:

#2 PirateNixon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:03 PM

First!

Edit: I hate people who do this, but I feel better now that I am a jerk too!

Edit 2: They answered my question! I win the internet!

Edited by PirateNixon, 18 June 2012 - 12:04 PM.

#3 Atlai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,439 posts
  • Locationfrom the East of the South end of the North

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:05 PM

Thanks Garth, as always :)

#4 Faceless Priest

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 156 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:07 PM

nice, xl engines wont just be better but will have the normal dangers they should have. Very happy about this.

#5 Aaron DeChavilier

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts
  • LocationEisen Unbegrenzt Corp HQ, Rim Collection

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:11 PM

huzzah for XL drawbacks! :mellow:
3 crits in each torso, I call it liability :)

#6 Blackfire1

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,462 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:11 PM

yay.

#7 Thornn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 290 posts
  • LocationDown at the Mechit-Lube

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:13 PM

Interesting peek at some things in store for us, thanks.

#8 Slavgaard

Rookie

• The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 3 posts
  • LocationSW Texas

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:16 PM

What i want to know is will there be joystick support....can;t play Mech without a joystick! that is the reason I bought one (and the only reason)

#9 alben5k

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:17 PM

Thank you Garth, we appreciate a little information now and then :)

Edited by alben5k, 18 June 2012 - 12:22 PM.

#10 Garth Erlam

• 2,756 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • YouTube: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:17 PM

That's why I'm here :)

#11 Aegis Kleais

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:19 PM

I like the info on the XL engine. I'm hoping after a side torso loses its armor and the internals take damage that if a critical shot is rendered there, you'll get a huge decrease in performance from the engine, a massive increase in heat generated and decreased speed; basically a crippled engine. A nice pro/con for what the XL offers (less tonnage but more critical space)

Gotta armor up that torso!

Edited by Aegis Kleais, 18 June 2012 - 12:20 PM.

#12 CeeKay Boques

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:23 PM

View PostAegis Kleais, on 18 June 2012 - 12:19 PM, said:

I like the info on the XL engine. I'm hoping after a side torso loses its armor and the internals take damage that if a critical shot is rendered there, you'll get a huge decrease in performance from the engine, a massive increase in heat generated and decreased speed; basically a crippled engine. A nice pro/con for what the XL offers (less tonnage but more critical space)

I like this better....I know in table-top it is death, but maybe just engine shut down for a side torso, or 1/3 speed.... death is a bit much for an equipment choice! :)

#13 Feachador

Rookie

• 8 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, Ga

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:33 PM

View PostSlavgaard, on 18 June 2012 - 12:16 PM, said:

What i want to know is will there be joystick support....can;t play Mech without a joystick! that is the reason I bought one (and the only reason)

Given they've already touted the Artemis system, I'd say there's a fairly good chance it's going to be joystick capable.

Edited by Feachador, 18 June 2012 - 12:35 PM.

#14 Karyudo ds

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,706 posts
  • LocationChaos March

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:41 PM

View PostTechnoviking, on 18 June 2012 - 12:23 PM, said:

I like this better....I know in table-top it is death, but maybe just engine shut down for a side torso, or 1/3 speed.... death is a bit much for an equipment choice! :)

Seems fair sort of since it offers the bonus's it does but in a game of this speed that can be an issue.

#15 Lex Peregrine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 206 posts
  • LocationPoznan, Sarna March, FC

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:41 PM

View PostAegis Kleais, on 18 June 2012 - 12:19 PM, said:

I was thinking the same thing, a critical hit on a side torso should give engine damage (XL engine), not core the engine and destroy the mech, that would make such mechs too easy to destroy I suppose.

#16 Watchit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,235 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:47 PM

Yay! finally an answer on XL engines! Thanks guys! :)

#17 Kobold

• Elite Founder
  • 2,930 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

View PostLex Peregrine, on 18 June 2012 - 12:41 PM, said:

I was thinking the same thing, a critical hit on a side torso should give engine damage (XL engine), not core the engine and destroy the mech, that would make such mechs too easy to destroy I suppose.

Now you know why many mechs throughout the Clan Invasion, FedCom Civil War, and Jihad were still being produced with standard fusion engines.

It is a trade off. The XL is lighter, letting you carry more/bigger weapons, but a huge liability in terms of staying power.

Choices are good.

#18 Fresh Meat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 779 posts
  • LocationMannequin Republic

I think the only thing we didn't already know was the base capture mechanic.... why keep answering the same old questions?

#19 Spleenslitta

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:58 PM

View PostFresh Meat, on 18 June 2012 - 12:47 PM, said:

I think the only thing we didn't already know was the base capture mechanic.... why keep answering the same old questions?

Thanks for saying your honest opinion and i agree. These Ask the Dev's threads have been a dissapointment lately.
I understand that the dev's can't answer everything due to the fact that a lot will change by the time it hits open beta, but this is kind of annoying.
Last time they answered the jump jet question twice.

#20 Taram

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 139 posts
  • LocationIn a Battlemech advancing on you.

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:05 PM

Glad to see XL Engines will have drawbacks! Otherwise they are just way too powerful an advantage. It's a nice balance system in the p&p game that you can kill XL engine mechs with hits to their l/r torsos because, otherwise, they have just far too much of an advantage.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users