As Requested By Russ Bullock: Pilot And Cockpit Effects

123 replies to this topic

Poll: What kind of Cockpit and pilot effects would you want to see implemented (327 member(s) have cast votes)

Steam in cockpit on high heat

1. Voted Bring it on! (235 votes [72.09%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 72.09%

2. I dont like view obscuring realism (91 votes [27.91%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.91%

sparks and broken pipes when taking torso internal damage

1. Voted Bring it on! (264 votes [80.98%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 80.98%

2. I dont like view obscuring realism (62 votes [19.02%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 19.02%

Damage and breaking of cockpit glass on head internal damage (this happens very rarely!)

1. Voted Bring it on! (281 votes [86.20%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 86.20%

2. I dont like view obscuring realism (45 votes [13.80%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.80%

Pilot flipping swithes for mech functions (like during startup sequence)

1. Voted Yes please! (278 votes [85.28%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 85.28%

2. No I dont like all the buttons. (48 votes [14.72%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.72%

Audio queue to call in strikes on targeted coordinates

1. Voted I want it, I want it now! (279 votes [85.58%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 85.58%

2. I'm afrade its voice won't match my own. (47 votes [14.42%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.42%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Sudden Reversal

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 231 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, South Australia

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:00 AM

Can we please, please get something relevant and\or dynamic on the cockpit monitors?

AUTO DETECT | NO SIGNAL

#42 Therrinian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 197 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:16 AM

yeah would be great to have something other than no signal :')

#43 Syrkres

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 488 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:24 AM

Personally I would rather not have any of this before CW, so don't even want to talk about it until that time. So many other better things could be added.

Any of the items I would prefer over cockpit effect (all after CW).
  • Destructible terrain (trees/cars/buildings/other)
  • Turrets (or other AI components)
  • Mines (module)

#44 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:15 AM

Easy fix for voice-match issues when the pilot speaks. Use audio distortion like he's speaking through an encrypted comm that has to fight jamming and such. In other words, obscure the voice with lots of interference and post-processing. There could also be a menu option for male voice or female voice, if PGI were willing to do the extra work.

Also, I would love to see a bit more in-game impact for certain things happening (head damage, cockpit damage, high heat, etc.).

#45 generalazure

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:49 AM

No for steam in the cockpit, as I fully expect my mech to trigger heat shutdown way BEFORE life support systems are failing. Having a large steam cloud outside of the mech when flushing coolant would make a lot more sense.

Also no to sparks from damage (aside from PPC hits), if something damages my reactor to that degree just have the mech explode and call it a day.

Small cracks in the glass would be nice, as would be using all of those "no signal" screens in my cockpit to actually display stuff. Both are very low priority for me atm though.

#46 Therrinian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 197 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:55 AM

View Postgeneralazure, on 20 January 2014 - 10:49 AM, said:

No for steam in the cockpit, as I fully expect my mech to trigger heat shutdown way BEFORE life support systems are failing. Having a large steam cloud outside of the mech when flushing coolant would make a lot more sense.

Also no to sparks from damage (aside from PPC hits), if something damages my reactor to that degree just have the mech explode and call it a day.

The steam could develop perhaps over the 100% once you should be shut down (generally you should only shot down after a kill otherwise you would override)
Sparks would occur not when your reactor is taking damage but maybe subsystems like weapons, when a weapon or heatsink is destroyed, the panel coupled to that might blow a fuse as the destruction of said component would short out.

#47 Xoxim SC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 454 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:00 AM

My only issue is, and this is based on the screen shots provided of the glass, is how hard it will be to see what's going on. While it's easy to quickly switch to 3rd person view to make up for the lack of visibility, being barraged by missiles, rocked by auto cannons, the already extremely blurry looking glass detail, on top of cracking glass AND steam from heat would be WAAAAAY to much.

#48 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:11 AM

These are all great ideas and I support them...

...as long as they can't be turned off.

Immersion aside, these effects would have an affect on play, so it would be unfair to allow players to turn them off.

Edited by Bhael Fire, 20 January 2014 - 11:13 AM.

#49 generalazure

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:12 AM

View PostTherrinian, on 20 January 2014 - 10:55 AM, said:

The steam could develop perhaps over the 100% once you should be shut down (generally you should only shot down after a kill otherwise you would override)
Sparks would occur not when your reactor is taking damage but maybe subsystems like weapons, when a weapon or heatsink is destroyed, the panel coupled to that might blow a fuse as the destruction of said component would short out.

Sure, there probably are power fluctuations when a subsystem is damaged, but it always alienates me when this causes consoles to throw sparks or blow up in a scifi setting. Feels more like early 20th century tech to me (serious lack of overload protection), but I guess this is up to personal preference.

My reason for not liking the steam thingie is pretty similar actually, for me this feels like some ww2 flick where a ship gets damaged and the boiler room fills up with steam. I'd prefer my hightech killing machine to vent the stuff to the outside if pipe pressure gets too high (note that this would give an additional clue to other players whether my mech is in a heat shutdown).
Well, actually I'd prefer not having to use plain old water as coolant at all, but that's beside the point I guess :rolleyes:

#50 SpartanOfValor

• PipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 81 posts
  • LocationThe 7th Seals mechbay

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:16 AM

This would be awesome, just don't make it to where we can go unconscious. :rolleyes:

#51 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:21 AM

View PostLegoSpartan, on 20 January 2014 - 11:16 AM, said:

This would be awesome, just don't make it to where we can go unconscious. :rolleyes:

That would actually be kinda awesome...to black out from heat exhaustion for a few seconds once your mech starts taking heat damage.

When you come to, vision is blurred momentarily.

This stuff adds tension and is also an additional deterrent to the standard practice of overheating then powering back up.

#52 Imperius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:42 AM

View PostWhatzituyah, on 18 January 2014 - 02:40 PM, said:

Its not that I don't want special effects in the cockpit its more like I don't want my FPS to decrease anymore then it has to.

View PostLucian Nostra, on 18 January 2014 - 10:05 PM, said:

I voted no on the steam because when the mech is running hot and generates that steam cloud I get FPS tankage if Im standing still in it.

Don't need more

View PostModo44, on 20 January 2014 - 03:00 AM, said:

More immersion is fun, so yeah. However, particle effects just outside of the mech already break the framerates. Putting more of those inside the cockpit would be stupid.

Get better computers?

#53 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:48 AM

I wouldn't mind most of these, but I had to vote no on the pipes, as that one would depend completely upon how it is done. If it's just a burst of sparks and some damage showing up, okay. If it's continuous sparking and visual obscuring pipes that hang in my view for the rest of the match... I'd have to say no.

Without farther information, I can't make any more of an informed opinion. Otherwise, it all sounds decent to me.

(Also, would be better if it could be turned off and on, for computer specs and preference.)

View PostImperius, on 20 January 2014 - 11:42 AM, said:

Get better computers?

For some of us, with what money...? I barely can afford rent, forget a whole new high end computer. (I had to get mine as a Christmas gift for me to afford a new one!)

Edited by Tesunie, 20 January 2014 - 11:47 AM.

#54 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:52 AM

View PostImperius, on 20 January 2014 - 11:42 AM, said:

Get better computers?

**** you? My PC can play Skyrim with a couple dozen of graphics mods @2560x1600 without breaking a sweat. It should have no issue with the low amount of detail presented in MWO, ever.

Edited by Modo44, 20 January 2014 - 11:55 AM.

#55 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:00 PM

View PostTesunie, on 20 January 2014 - 11:48 AM, said:

I wouldn't mind most of these, but I had to vote no on the pipes, as that one would depend completely upon how it is done. If it's just a burst of sparks and some damage showing up, okay. If it's continuous sparking and visual obscuring pipes that hang in my view for the rest of the match... I'd have to say no.

Without farther information, I can't make any more of an informed opinion. Otherwise, it all sounds decent to me.

(Also, would be better if it could be turned off and on, for computer specs and preference.)

For some of us, with what money...? I barely can afford rent, forget a whole new high end computer. (I had to get mine as a Christmas gift for me to afford a new one!)

Do you drink and/or smoke? Do you wat out instead of cook? Most people "most" scape by because they don't know how to manage thier money, or they have their priorities all wrong.

#56 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:03 PM

View PostModo44, on 20 January 2014 - 11:52 AM, said:

**** you? My PC can play Skyrim with a couple dozen of graphics mods @2560x1600 without breaking a sweat. It should have no issue with the low amount of detail presented in MWO, ever.

Then your issue is to deal with bad optimization and most likely the lack of DX 11. So don't get all mad. You came off as another person playing a 2005 gateway from best buy for the bargin price of $500. Those people get on my nerves. You game on a PC for power.

I want as many features added to this game as possible. I'm buying a rig at the end of this year from Digital Storm I plan to drop 5-6k. I like my effects. I'm ok with them being toned down for some lower end PC's but not excluded because.

Edited by Imperius, 20 January 2014 - 12:06 PM.

#57 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:03 PM

Not sure how an external weapon system is gong to create steam in my cockpit? Does the pilot get off to a hot mech??? I like all the rest however but steam is a bit ridiulous.

Frost on the outer rim of the cockpit glass, on the frozen maps would be cool also!

Edited by DONTOR, 20 January 2014 - 12:04 PM.

#58 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:10 PM

View PostImperius, on 20 January 2014 - 12:00 PM, said:

Do you drink and/or smoke? Do you wat out instead of cook? Most people "most" scape by because they don't know how to manage thier money, or they have their priorities all wrong.

I do not drink (alcohol). I do not smoke (or any other kind of "recreational drug"). I don't eat out very often (maybe once every other week, and even then normally my Brother pays for the food).

What I do happen to have:
- A lower paying job (above minimum wage at least).
- Rent.
- Internet fees (which I need to pay, thanks for reminding me).
- Electric bill.
- Food (and I normally try to buy the cheapest, price comparable foods).
- College Loans.
- Car insurance.
- Random Car Repairs.
- Car registration.

My extra money I have left over every month? About $20-50... $20/$500+(for new computer)= 25 months of saving, provided I don't have to fix my car or some other "surprise" bill came up. (And imagine, I just happened to have Gallbladder removal surgery just 3 weeks ago.) Not to mention "Obamacare" is trying to "fine me" for not having their "affordable" "$150+ a month" health insurance...

Some (most) people live beneath poverty level. I am one of them. Not all of us have large sums of money to throw around. (And those that drink or smoke, I don't even KNOW how they manage...)

Edit:
My average pay is about $200-250. Rent is $250 (First weeks paycheck). Electric is close to $100 sometimes (so I plan on $100 to be safe). Internet is $40 (most of second weeks paycheck, add in food, gone). School loans is $200 (they want to charge $300, but I've been forced to go to reduced payment options) (Most of third weeks pay check, plus food). About $30 for gas every 2-4 weeks (I own a Chevy Metro that gets 50 mpg, and I live close to work). I spend $30-50 a week for food, probably a little less.

This isn't even including Car Insurance ($150 liability only for 6 months coverage), Registration ($60 I think a year) and inspection ($40 a year), plus any repairs that need to be done (just had to sink $700 in repairs to pass inspection this year)...

Seeing the picture?

Edited by Tesunie, 20 January 2014 - 12:25 PM.

#59 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:20 PM

View PostTesunie, on 20 January 2014 - 12:10 PM, said:

I do not drink (alcohol). I do not smoke (or any other kind of "recreational drug"). I don't eat out very often (maybe once every other week, and even then normally my Brother pays for the food).

What I do happen to have:
- A lower paying job (above minimum wage at least).
- Rent.
- Internet fees (which I need to pay, thanks for reminding me).
- Electric bill.
- Food (and I normally try to buy the cheapest, price comparable foods).
- College Loans.
- Car insurance.
- Random Car Repairs.
- Car registration.

My extra money I have left over every month? About $20-50... $20/$500+(for new computer)= 25 months of saving, provided I don't have to fix my car or some other "surprise" bill came up. (And imagine, I just happened to have Gallbladder removal surgery just 3 weeks ago.) Not to mention "Obamacare" is trying to "fine me" for not having their "affordable" "$150+ a month" health insurance...

Some (most) people live beneath poverty level. I am one of them. Not all of us have large sums of money to throw around. (And those that drink or smoke, I don't even KNOW how they manage...)

$150 gets you a decent graphics card that would easily run this game with said effects.

Sorry you fell for that standard American college loan bs that claims it will brighten your future. When in truth it darkens it.

Food - try to buy in bulk.
Electricity - get LED bulbs saves a ton
Car Insurance - (check to see if you're eligible to get lower insurance) you do this by checking if they offer a discount to those who don't drive far, and/or often.

Edited by Imperius, 20 January 2014 - 12:26 PM.

#60 Kojin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 117 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:30 PM

Although I like the idea of immersive effects I don't like the ideas as described in op.

Here's a couple of ideas off the top of my head as options instead:

A burst heat pipe causing a steam leak if you overheat and cause some (over a small amount) damage to yourself. This would clamp itself down and reduce once back below 80% heat.

Small shorts and arcs on weapon panels caused by overloads due to weapon destroyed. Possibly blow out a switch or two.

Flipping switches and the like would be a good addition when these things occur too.

Small cracks in cockpit glass on large impacts to head.

Hmmm... what I can think of at the mo...

15 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 15 guests, 0 anonymous users