Cockpit Glass Degrades Mwo For Me

82 replies to this topic

#21 LauLiao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:17 PM

Not sure what all the complaining is about. I just keep my cockpit glass full of scotch. :D

#22 Dirkdaring

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 685 posts
  • LocationTwycross

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:24 PM

I hate it, makes their game look like {Scrap} and has given me headaches. The blurriness from the stupid dust/haze effect is bad enough that I had to turn post processing off to make the game look halfway decent. If PGI wants me to play less their goal is working. They sure as heck won't be getting more $ from me with garbage like this being added.

#23 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:26 PM

View PostNoesis, on 30 January 2014 - 10:14 AM, said:

There's cockpit glass? :unsure: :D

LIES!!!

Edited by Colonel Pada Vinson, 30 January 2014 - 03:26 PM.

#24 Noesis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,436 posts
  • LocationIn the Lab

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:27 PM

View PostLauLiao, on 30 January 2014 - 03:17 PM, said:

Not sure what all the complaining is about. I just keep my cockpit glass full of scotch. :D

So I guess it tastes better after 15 years and in fact improves with age as opposed to degrading.

One question how "immersive" are you with this feature?

#25 Rebas Kradd

• 2,969 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:37 PM

View Poststjobe, on 30 January 2014 - 01:06 PM, said:

That's my complaint. With all the WAY more important things to do, they implement cockpit glass. C'mon PGI. Prioritize!

Until UI2.0, they're not going to be tackling a lot of big stuff nor have the manpower to track down bugs. So it kinda makes sense from a development perspective that this would be the thing that comes out. Not really happy about it, but I sorta get it.

Next month, on the other hand...

#26 Noesis

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,436 posts
  • LocationIn the Lab

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:41 PM

View PostRebas Kradd, on 30 January 2014 - 03:37 PM, said:

Until UI2.0, they're not going to be tackling a lot of big stuff nor have the manpower to track down bugs. So it kinda makes sense from a development perspective that this would be the thing that comes out. Not really happy about it, but I sorta get it.

Next month, on the other hand...

Though this "art time" could have been invested into Mech scaling issues that directly effect game play given it is an economical concern and not linked to core gaming mechanics development.

#27 XX Sulla XX

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:42 PM

I think it is fine but I would probably tone it down just a bit.

#28 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:53 PM

View Poststjobe, on 30 January 2014 - 01:06 PM, said:

That's my complaint. With all the WAY more important things to do, they implement cockpit glass. C'mon PGI. Prioritize!

It's important to realize that no resources were taken away from development of CW, UI 2.0, and all the other features people are clamoring about to implement cockpit glass. All these little immersion and polish details are mostly handled by people that have nothing to do with CW, UI 2.0, etc.

I understand that a lot players here aren't familiar with the "sorcery" involved in making a game, but you don't ask one of the systems designers to paint textures any more than you'd ask one of the artists to try to design game mechanics; it's not their specialties or their job description. Of course there are exceptions in some studios...but that's not what we have here.

So, for the love of all that's good and holy please, everyone, stop crying about "priorities" being messed up with regard to stuff like cockpit glass, vanity items, and other tertiary features not related to CW and UI 2.0.

#29 Damocles

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,527 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:56 PM

I like it, and I like that it means we will see heat/NV displayed on it sometime in the future.

#30 GrandLocomon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • LocationWestern Australia

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:12 PM

For everyone who says its immersive - you know the effect is back to front right? That's what I'd be annoyed at the designers/whatever-you-call-it for. The glare appears when your, apparently solid, mech's back is facing the light source. Not the clear glass front though, no, that's fine, no glare there. Apparently it's because the cockpit model doesn't have a back panel. Seriously, for something added for immersion, it's awfully immersion breaking when it's not done right.

#31 Dirkdaring

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 685 posts
  • LocationTwycross

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:39 PM

I still don't get how people think it's immersive. How? In what way? I can't find a single example to compare it to.

#32 Noesis

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,436 posts
  • LocationIn the Lab

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:51 PM

View PostDirkdaring, on 30 January 2014 - 04:39 PM, said:

I still don't get how people think it's immersive. How? In what way? I can't find a single example to compare it to.

Immersion gives the understanding of atmosphere or a quality of character to make it more realistic or humanised. I guess seeing detritus of any form on cockpit windows makes it evident of it being there, so it makes the cockpit more tangible as a result, even if it is a virtual representation.

#33 Craig Steele

• 2,106 posts
  • LocationCSR Mountbatton awaiting clearance for tactical deployment

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:34 PM

View PostDirkdaring, on 30 January 2014 - 04:39 PM, said:

I also cannot find a canon example of a hula girl bobbling in a cockpit.

Honestly immersion is relevant for every individual. Personally I like it, meta physical arguments about the angle of light I can put aside in my mind, I am after all in a 12 meter robot blasting laser beams across the tundra.

Is it believable to me, sure. I imagine mech movement would throw up dust and junk, planting those metal feet must leave a mark. In canon, we all recognise the spawn points are not "drop" points, no unit ever landed with 10 meters seperation from any orbit, not possible either by dropship size (the doors are further apart than that) or ballistic curves of the drop. So we got there walking, who is to say whether it was an hour or a day, you can choose.

I imagine that as a pilot I would be loathe to hang on the front face of my mechs polishing 2 meters of glass (come on, we all know how windex works, you can't just do a corner) for fear of snipers or artillery or some such. I imagine my CO would be just as risk adverse to a highly trained pilot using spray and wipe mid mission when he has prefectly good long range sensors and electronic targetting systems.

I'd be kinda sad to see it go. It makes me feel dirty :D

#34 Johnny Two Legs

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 123 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:36 PM

I can live with a level of 'glass effect' but make tone the effect down please.
On some levels it's quite noticeable and I find myself squinting a little when playing the game.

2 cents.

J2L

#35 Auzen

• PipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 61 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:57 PM

When I first saw it after launching the first time since the update, I thought, "Man, this is going to be distracting."

Since then, I haven't even really noticed it when the fighting starts. :D

#36 Rattlehead NZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • LocationAuckland New Zealand

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:17 PM

For immersion purposes it would be nice if later they implement scratches and frosting on the lenses (considering your actually looking out of vid screens and not actual windows) after being in a map for a while. Sand/snow storms come and go and so should the effects on the screen based upon the environmental conditions on the map.

#37 Craig Steele

• 2,106 posts
  • LocationCSR Mountbatton awaiting clearance for tactical deployment

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:23 PM

View PostRattlehead NZ, on 30 January 2014 - 07:17 PM, said:

considering your actually looking out of vid screens and not actual windows

Huh?

They have always been windows afaik. Maybe not glass but the futuristicn bulletproof reinforced version of, but definitely atmopshere on the other side.

#38 Xmith

• The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,099 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:36 PM

I don't care for the effect myself. It actually puts a strain on my eyes. It's like a smudge on my glasses that I can't remove. PGI should make it an option along with damage glow.

#39 SiR SockMonkeyDonkey

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 65 posts
  • LocationWestern Washington State

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:08 PM

I am so happy :unsure: toning it down a hair will do fine. So happy to see I'm not going crazy being the only person seeing through a thick, green , cracked windshield. On the 4th I will have my stunning effects back :D until then I wont be in game much, it just kinda sucks fighting in the fog of the windshield. But happy hunting to all you not effected by this event and don't worry, I will be a target for you to hunt down again soon.

#40 Psydotek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 745 posts
  • LocationClan 'Mechs? Everywhere? GOOD!

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:52 PM

There wouldn't be much complaining if cockpit glass was implemented on day 1 of closed beta.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users