Playing Some Blackjack.

25 replies to this topic

#1 TimePeriod

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 548 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationI'm out gardening, back in 10.

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:21 PM

I've currently got two Blackjacks, the BJ-1 and the BJ-3.

BJ-3
STD 225
JJ 4
4 ML
2 MPL
ENDO
18 DHS

This is my fav build so far, it preforms well under many circumstances and does not overheat a lot. Fires the x2 MPL without overheating even on Terra Therma at 70% heat.

-
BJ-1
STD 225 (from the BJ-3)
2 JJ
2 SL
ENDO

An obvious troll build. Purely meant for annoying people with LB-X. It's not really good at anything other then that.

How do you guys play the Blackjack?

Edited by TimePeriod, 01 February 2014 - 03:29 PM.

#2 Lukoi Banacek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:32 PM

I play the BJ1 Champ build, the 1DC version of the same (no JJ obviously, so either an extra ton of ammo or DHS). BJ3 is 4 x ML, 1 x LL, 1 x ERL. My BJ1X is the jumpless version of my 3: 6 x ML, 2 x LL.

BJs are great Mechs to run and gun.

#3 TimePeriod

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 548 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationI'm out gardening, back in 10.

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:42 PM

View PostLukoi, on 01 February 2014 - 03:32 PM, said:

I play the BJ1 Champ build, the 1DC version of the same (no JJ obviously, so either an extra ton of ammo or DHS). BJ3 is 4 x ML, 1 x LL, 1 x ERL. My BJ1X is the jumpless version of my 3: 6 x ML, 2 x LL.

BJs are great Mechs to run and gun.

Yeah, I just finished a round with my troll build (BJ-1) and I haven't had this much fun in ages. Spent 75 rounds of LB-X ammo spaying it at every mech I could see. Didn't do much damage only 223 but it was just so much fun....

#4 Ruccus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:40 PM

I think the most versatile Blackjack BJ-1 build is probably a Dual AC5 build. The twin AC5s provide decent long range capabilities and good dps close up. The two medium lasers are good for an extra punch and late in the match when your AC5 rounds might be used up.

Aside from my dual PPC build most of my other builds are just putting medium lasers in the energy hardpoints and putting a big gun (AC20, AC10, Gauss Rifle, LB10X) in one of the arms. Simple but effective.

I do have a dual LB10X build that is more of a 'see if I can fit two LB10Xes in a Blackjack' exercise than an effective build. While the stock build for the BJ-1 is pretty pathetic, I also have a dual AC2 build that turns the stock 'waste of space' 2 AC2s with one ton of ammo into a more viable build. The only problem is that with the extra heatsinks needed to run the AC2 build I find I may as well lose three heatsinks and a ton of ammo and pop in the AC5s for a build with more direct punch and a higher sustainable dps.

#5 ImperialKnight

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:46 PM

BAM! or bust on the BJ-1

My BJ-3 runs an energy BAM!

BJ-1X needs speeeeeeeeeeeeed

#6 Krujiente

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 12:31 AM

I play my blackjacks with standard 200s. They are so vulnerable in XLs that I don't deme it worth the extra speed.
The said the BJ-1 I'd stick an ac20 in it and all them mls and 3 tons of ammo with that engine and enough jjs to get around
the BJ-3 I either use 1 erppc and a bunch of mls or 2 PPCs and 2 mls. Either as a long range poker with brawl-ability or a mid range fire support mech.
The BJ1-x I would put an xl285 in it and 6MLs and 2LLs. This is a power flanker. You run in lasers blasting from their flank or behind and then you retreat to dump heat. I got 8 kills in one match doing this once "No one expects the blackjack inquisition"

#7 MountainCopper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationUU, Ankh-Morpork

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:31 AM

The double AC2 build on BJs is already a bit much for a 45t Mech in terms of ammunition and cooling. Meaning, that additional lasers will lack sufficient cooling.

The double AC5 build combined with medium lasers, while being awesome, is pushing it too far with a 45t Mech. Working well on the 10t heavier Shadowhawk or 20t heavier Jagermech, in a Blackjack you will be sacrificing one or more of backup weaponry, ammo, cooling or speed.

My 1DC has one AC5 and 4 to 6 ML and a STD engine.
BJ-1DC - AC5, 4xML, STD235
BJ-1DC - AC5, 6xML, STD235 <-- cooling challenge

I moved away from running my 1X with a XL engine. With a STD engine, it will move nearly as fast.
BJ-1X - 6xML, 16xDHS, STD280
BJ-1X - 8xML, 15xDHS, STD270 <-- cooling challenge

I don't own any JumpJet capable Blackjacks anymore. Don't like these too much.

View PostKrujiente, on 02 February 2014 - 12:31 AM, said:

The BJ1-x I would put an xl285 in it and 6MLs and 2LLs. This is a power flanker. You run in lasers blasting from their flank or behind and then you retreat to dump heat. I got 8 kills in one match doing this once "No one expects the blackjack inquisition"

At first, I didn't think that build would fit into a Blackjack. It does... :P inflicts 48 damage twice and then you have to cool off. Powerful, AND it's also possible to use a STD engine (but very slow then).

Edited by GoldenFleece, 17 February 2014 - 02:42 AM.

#8 BP Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:28 AM

The champion build is solid and capable. I shave a ton of armor for 7 more rounds of AC20 (head and arms mostly, you want your legs nearly maxxed since they get shot a lot when jump-brawling, and the arms of a blackjack get hit less often than other mechs, in my experience).

I disagree about the XL engine statement above, I just think of the Blackjack as having one big torso most of the time. It has so little armour that its better not to get hit at all, and losing a side will be pretty catastophic anyway. The extra mobility that the bigger XL offers far outweighs a little extra survivability.

My other build is xl235, Endo & 2PPCs. If you're confident, run it with almost max armour, one JJ and 17DHS. Any light that gets close will eat you for breakfast though, so stay with the team. You can drop a DHS and go down to stock (272) armour to fit 2ML on there, but they won't kill a determined light in the time it takes for him to kill you.

#9 Akerlof

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 25 posts
  • LocationFargo, ND

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:10 AM

I love the BJ-1: With the AC20 and 3 ML it just blows things up. I use a 235XL engine in it, with the jump jets you can spread out the damage to your legs as well as the torsos, and you're pretty fast (93kph with speed tweak) so you get missed a lot as well. It takes some finesse, you can't run in and brawl like a heavy, but if you use cover (terrain and allies, it's awesome to poptart over an Atlas for the kill,) and are patient you can do a ton of damage and get a lot of kills.

Before I went with the AC20, I was playing it with two AC2s and 2 Medium Lasers: That was a good build for long range support. I generally did more damage (but got fewer kills) than I did on my BJ-3 with dual PPCs at the time, but my K/D and W/L ratios were better because it encouraged a more conservative style of play. (It also helped me improve my accuracy so I got a lot better when playing my BJ-3 after I had spent the time to get all the basics on my BJ-1.) You can get a good number of kills with the dual AC2 setup, but you have to target your enemies, find the weak spots, and then actually hit them: It takes forever and burns through way too much ammo to work your way through an Atlas's pristine CT, but if the right leg armor is red, you can cripple it really quickly.

My favorite Blackjack is the BJ-3 with dual PPCs. It's a solid medium ranged support mech, works well as a jump sniper and can brawl pretty well too, as long as it can get enough separation to use the PPCs. Putting both PPCs in one arm is dangerous since you can lose most of your firepower at once, but the convergence is so tight that it's like shooting one weapon. You can pop over a hill, take a pot shot 800 meters away, and both PPCs will hit the same spot every time. I've run in this configuration for well over a hundred games and only remember getting an arm knocked off once, BJ arms are pretty tiny and you have to really aim for them to knock them off, and people don't usually realize that. Usually it's torsos or legs that go, and it's not uncommon to have no armor at all left.

I want to like the BJ-1X, it's fast and you can put 8ML on it with a standard engine. But it's slower than a Cicada or a Jenner and lacks jump jets. Added to the fact that the lasers are damage over time compared to PPCs or ACs, it ends up being less survivable and doing less damage than either of the other two chassis for me. I keep playing it, because I think it will teach me not to overextend and put myself into bad positions, and it will force me to improve my gunnery skills, but I don't think it will ever be one of my favorite mechs the way BJ-1 and BJ-3 are.

#10 Buzzkillin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 283 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:08 AM

Here is my modified version of the dual ac5: BJ-1

I have the dual mls in my torsos instead of my arms because if I lose my arms I can still defend myself. I also use a STD engine in this build.This seems to throw people off as they expect me to use a XL. I've had a match where a Jaeger took out my side torso and turned around assuming I was a an XL user exposing his back to me. He was already cored from the back from the back so took a couple shot at him to take him out. While this build is slow compared to others, I play the blackjack as a fire support and still with the assaults and heavies. Have them draw attention while you lay down fire.

I hate seeing AC20 blackjack builds. It's built as a fire support and using it as a brawler will most likely not end well, especially for new players when it was a trial. But maybe I take the roles too seriously.

#11 Jody Von Jedi

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:21 AM

Here is my BJ-1X

Max engine, 1ERLL, 6ML, 17 DHS

1 ERLL to poke with at range, or you can sub for LL to lower the heat.
6 ML for a 30 pt alpha up close. If the lights start harassing you, switch to chain fire or you will over heat on the 4th volley.

Jody

#12 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:58 AM

Was running a BoomJack before it was championed. :D

BJ side torso's are miniscule. So survivability with an XL is no worries.
1 on 1 a BJ-1 has a fair chance of taking almost any other mech. Surrenders a lot to streak builds unfortunately. But everyone has to respect the AC/20. Shines at close range jump sniping and back alley assassinations, (i.e. brawls where the 'Jack gets the first shot then fades)

Run my -1X with a 295 xl and 8 medium lasers. Many cry foul but the heat control is in the trigger setup. I've the arm lasers on each mouse button (3 on left, 3 on right), and a full 8-laser alpha on the third trigger. However will frequently hit that third trigger while the arm mounted ml's are still recycling. Giving you a in-between battlefield rythym weapon and the potential for a 40pt alpha when the time is right. This is one of my consistant 1k dmg chassis. It excels at hunting lights and pinpoint fire support for brawling heavies/assaults. (Stay out of it until your big guys are stuck in, then assist with a few carefully planned alphas).

Have had fun running my BJ-3 setup exactly like my BoomJack, only with twin LrgPulse replacing the AC/20.

EDIT: Hero Blackjack incoming? want

Edited by juxstapo, 17 March 2014 - 08:59 AM.

#13 Buzzkillin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 283 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:23 AM

View Postjuxstapo, on 17 March 2014 - 08:58 AM, said:

Was running a BoomJack before it was championed. :D

1 on 1 a BJ-1 has a fair chance of taking almost any other mech. Surrenders a lot to streak builds unfortunately. But everyone has to respect the AC/20. Shines at close range jump sniping and back alley assassinations, (i.e. brawls where the 'Jack gets the first shot then fades)

Run my -1X with a 295 xl and 8 medium lasers. Many cry foul but the heat control is in the trigger setup. I've the arm lasers on each mouse button (3 on left, 3 on right), and a full 8-laser alpha on the third trigger. However will frequently hit that third trigger while the arm mounted ml's are still recycling. Giving you a in-between battlefield rythym weapon and the potential for a 40pt alpha when the time is right. This is one of my consistant 1k dmg chassis. It excels at hunting lights and pinpoint fire support for brawling heavies/assaults. (Stay out of it until your big guys are stuck in, then assist with a few carefully planned alphas).

Have had fun running my BJ-3 setup exactly like my BoomJack, only with twin LrgPulse replacing the AC/20.

Based on personal expierence I always seem to lose a side torso before dying. So I wouldn't want to use a XL on a BJ, but that's just me.

And I am waiting for a hero Blackjack, it's one of my best mechs so having the cbill bonus would be nice.

#14 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:41 AM

Was running a BoomJack before it was championed. &lt;_&lt;

Yeah, I love my BJ-1. Great for hunting lights and even taking down Atlases and Highlanders. It's a mean little machine.

#15 Ryokens leap

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,180 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:49 AM

View PostDavers, on 17 March 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:

Yeah, I love my BJ-1. Great for hunting lights and even taking down Atlases and Highlanders. It's a mean little machine.

I very much agree, link up with the nearest DDC and start hammering the enemy. Played with both dual ac5 and dual ac2, liking them both. Have been running ac5/ac2/ 2medlas lately with great success.

#16 Inflatable Fish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 563 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:51 AM

is that confirmed info? I'd love me some 45-ton hero goodness. (pref. with missiles ^_^)

#17 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:05 PM

As for a good 'wingman for an assault' build for a Blackjack, I've had good success following assaults with this BJ-1 build. It's slow but fast enough to shadow an assault mech, and the pair of UAC5s can unload a good amount of damage quickly. When one or both UAC5s jam you've still got the medium lasers and your assault mech partner to back you up.

View PostInflatable Fish, on 17 March 2014 - 11:51 AM, said:

is that confirmed info? I'd love me some 45-ton hero goodness. (pref. with missiles ^_^)

Not confirmed as far as I know, but I would also be intrigued by a hero Blackjack mech based off the BJ-2 (which has two ER Large Lasers in the arm and four SSRM2s in the torso).

#18 Jenkss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 175 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:20 AM

I run my BJ-1 with 3xML and an AC20 with 4 tons ammo and jump jets.
Can't remember the exact build right not, but it goes very nicely. Consistent high damage and kills.

I run my BJ-1X like this: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3d07ecfc5fe5c85

Possibly my favourite medium build in the game, if it had jump jets it would be godly. But even without it goes very nicely. Anyone not running this build is crazy. Very cool and hurts.
Almost never overheats unless you alpha over and over.
Grouped like this 1: LL, 2: Left Arm MLs, 3:SLs 4: Right arm MLs
Hit hard all day long with the LL and the MLs, use the smalls in close for that extra bit of added damage to take you over the line. Or if you're close to overheat (from spam) and need a little extra damage to keep you going while you cool

View PostBuzzkillin, on 17 March 2014 - 10:23 AM, said:

Based on personal expierence I always seem to lose a side torso before dying. So I wouldn't want to use a XL on a BJ, but that's just me.

And I am waiting for a hero Blackjack, it's one of my best mechs so having the cbill bonus would be nice.

I have never had an issues with losing side torsos, have always found the BJ very XL friendly.

#19 ThatBum42

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 220 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:50 PM

My BJ-1
My BJ-1X

My current mechs are these Blackjacks and a CDA-2A. Originally I got the Cicada because I did well with the trial Cicada, so I built it similar to the trial Cicada (but with a couple notches down with the engine and with AMS). After a while I got the Blackjack based on perusing of the wiki and watching videos of it being played, and by the time I kitted out both of them, I was out of cadet bonus. I could have had more mechs or a heavier mech if I didn't squander the bonus, but I got a free mechbay from the Centurion event and didn't want to make a new account and lose that. But that's another story, I am digressing.

Anyway, I noticed the stats were telling me that I was doing better across the board in the Cicada, but I was still having loads of fun with the dakka in the Blackjack and still doing pretty well by my standards, so I decided to try mastering the Blackjack. I got the 1X a couple days ago and concocted this loadout. You would think it runs hot, but it's not so bad. You can get two full alphas in on an intermediate temp map, presumably this will improve when I start unlocking the skill tree. The heat might be better if I used more medium lasers or medium pulse lasers instead of the larges in the torsos, but I like having a bit of longer range power, and what would I do with the extra tonnage? I might consider bringing cool shots too.

It's excellent at getting killshots with its 48 point firepower. Seriously, I REGULARLY get 600-700 damage and 3-4 kills with that BJ-1X build, it's insane. When the team's not getting rolled, of course. :huh: You just need to make sure to not engage anything directly, none of the BJs are really built for that. Fire support is really enjoyable for me, I would think brawling would be too nervewracking and sniping too fiddly and hit or miss.

Perhaps the stats aren't telling me everything about the BJ-1, I think it does suppression fire pretty well. Then again, the Cicada's win/loss ratio is a lot higher, which is also slightly scary considering that would mean I had a pivotal role in the winning of a match more than the BJ, but eh. I guess whether or not you're having fun is the most important, and that can't be quantified in a statistic.

#20 kOVISJOO

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:44 AM

This one is really nice and enjoyable BJ-1X build.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...76856934c06f536

I have got really nice results with this build and I started playing this game like 1 month ago. Just use your speed and do that damage :huh: After 91 matches, 138 kills and only 57 deaths with avg dmg of 450+.

Posted Image

Try it and enjoy it!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users