#81 DEN_Ninja

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,097 posts
  • LocationCrossing, Draconis March

Posted 03 February 2014 - 01:13 PM

View PostGoManGo, on 03 February 2014 - 01:06 PM, said:

P.S sorry my browser is not compatible with MWO forums the Quote does not work is this also my problem? or the people at PGI that will not fix it? Just upgraded to WIN 8.1 and explorer11 a few months back.

Get Chrome, or even firefox. my god. Who uses IE other than those who have to?

#82 GoManGo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 353 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 01:20 PM

How many people use win 8 worldwide?

At last estimate, 400 million people use the Windows operating system worldwide.
Source:

http://answers.googl...dview?id=290538

You build the forum and game for the most compatibility=WInxp-Win8.1. You do not ask your users or players to download a different browser to suit you the game maker.

#83 Reno Blade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,459 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 February 2014 - 01:27 PM

View PostGoManGo, on 03 February 2014 - 01:20 PM, said:

How many people use win 8 worldwide?

At last estimate, 400 million people use the Windows operating system worldwide.
Source:

http://answers.googl...dview?id=290538

You build the forum and game for the most compatibility=WInxp-Win8.1. You do not ask your users or players to download a different browser to suit you the game maker.

Your "Problem" is the IE, not windows. Installing Firefox or Chrome helps. Always!
If you stick with the IE, check your security settings, your addons, Javascript and other stuff. (not going into detail, as I'm doing that at work every day already).
But you can also just use
 [quote] ....text you want to quote ... [/quote] 
if your buttons don't work.

#84 Roadbeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 03 February 2014 - 01:28 PM

View PostGoManGo, on 03 February 2014 - 01:20 PM, said:

In all fairness, IE is widely considered the worst browser ever made.
This is what I do for a living and I can tell you that when I write a website, I have code that works for EVERYONE else, then I have to make special comments for Internet Explorer just because they have to be different. Even then, those special comments, You actually have to make some to be compatible with IE8, IE9, IEwhatever

#85 GoManGo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 353 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 01:41 PM

Well Road and others on this IE situation I can only say this. I have always used windows and IE even back to 3.1 and yes in many ways its flawed but im not alone there are 400 million+ users of windows and IE and when I go to a website or forum I don't care I just want it to work IE with the system I have as perfectly as can be. As a matter of fact im sure its the same way when everyone downloads a game they want it to work be fun and be compatible with there system as much as possible.

They don't want to fiddle with this and to make it work few do.

#86 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 01:49 PM

View PostGoManGo, on 03 February 2014 - 01:41 PM, said:

Well Road and others on this IE situation I can only say this. I have always used windows and IE even back to 3.1 and yes in many ways its flawed but im not alone there are 400 million+ users of windows and IE and when I go to a website or forum I don't care I just want it to work IE with the system I have as perfectly as can be. As a matter of fact im sure its the same way when everyone downloads a game they want it to work be fun and be compatible with there system as much as possible.

These are the things that people in my (and game development industry) look at.
http://www.w3schools...browsers_os.asp
http://www.w3schools...wsers_stats.asp

Both of those stats would tell me, were I designing this website, or anything else, Win 8 and Internet Explorer would be pretty low priority for compatibility, and it would be in my interest to design it for Win7 and Chrome, then work my way down to Internet Explorer, as long as it doesn't break anything for the 90% of users who AREN'T using IE.

#87 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 01:52 PM

View PostMarack Drock, on 03 February 2014 - 01:50 PM, said:

Not much of the stuff they do in the patches is even worth mentioning. It is usually New Mech, Nerfed Weapon this time is, and Hit Boxes tweaked. That is usually it.

Translation: It wasn't important to me, so they haven't been doing anything.

#88 Rebas Kradd

• 2,969 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 01:55 PM

I tend to leave the Skirmish debacle at PGI's feet. It would have taken them exactly thirty seconds to explain why they hesitated on developing that game mode. It would have left the community going "Yeah, but...but...umm...yeah, but....umm, well...hmmm...but...oh, well, okay, yeah I guess that makes sense." Whenever they have a good reason for doing something, they can just come out and say why, and they'll instantly get a lot of sensible people on their side to help them argue their case for them.

Instead, they did what they usually did...they just said nothing at all. Nothing. It goes way beyond "not feeling beholden to answer every thread". Major gameplay decision, major community request, and...nothing. Then they capitulated. It's bizarre.

That said, they seem to be turning it around. Looking forward to today's posts (Russ has promised two from his staff).

Edited by Rebas Kradd, 03 February 2014 - 01:56 PM.

#89 Reno Blade

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,459 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:02 PM

View PostGoManGo, on 03 February 2014 - 01:41 PM, said:

It's your choice.
Just saying that to "want it to work" most people use other browsers, because they work :)

Anyway, back to topic now ;)

#90 BFett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts
  • LocationA galaxy far far away...

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:37 PM

View PostTesunie, on 02 February 2014 - 09:51 PM, said:

Don't forget the major problems they found in the engine coding, and then some more bugs that were causing some massive problems, then HSR being needed to stop the "LAG Shield" and then the LRMageddons... etc... CW got placed on the back burner a couple of times, and they had to figure out the battle system first before they worked on CW. That means that time must be taken away from the "2 years, 3 months, 2 days" time frame. Give about a year or two to get the combat system nailed down and working relatively well enough... and we are left with 3 months. Can you conceptualize, code up, implement and get working flawlessly a whole CW yourself in that time? While at the same time addressing game bugs, UI2.0 (as the first "conceptualization" didn't seem to cover everything it needed to, and needed to be replaced/updated),etc?

Give them time, I'm sure it's been getting worked on. Just other items jumped in front and had to be done first is all.

If you gave me 5 million dollars and told me to choose my team and have a mech game with all of the features PGI has mentioned, and told me to do it in 2 years, You bet I'd do it!

The 5 million dollars is from founders money http://www.gamasutra...ew/news/180401/

#91 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:40 PM

View PostBFett, on 03 February 2014 - 02:37 PM, said:

If you gave me 5 million dollars and told me to choose my team and have a mech game with all of the features PGI has mentioned, and told me to do it in 2 years, You bet I'd do it!

The 5 million dollars is from founders money http://www.gamasutra...ew/news/180401/

Forumites are so cute when they think $5mil is a lot of money.

#92 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:45 PM

$5M in 2 years to develop a game...

Welcome to Brokesville. Population: You!

#93 Reno Blade

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,459 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:49 PM

Last time I talked to my dev buddies (I'm a dev and consultant at work) about Star citicen money goals, we laughed about some posts, because the money is not even 1/5 of what they will need to accomplish their stated goals.
Creating new stuff costs a lot and employing professionals is damn expensive.
Depending on business, country and stuff, you have to account a single dev working 40h / week to at least 40k per year, and managers to about 100k per year.

#94 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:13 PM

View PostMarack Drock, on 03 February 2014 - 04:06 PM, said:

Well I am done here. It sums down to:

PGI doesn't listen to us, and don't take our input then do stuff like- Ghost heat, SRM nerf, Lie about Release dates, ruin working items, etc etc. If PGI wants to this game to be very successful then they need to listen to the people who make up the Community of Mechwarrior.

1. Ghost heat was a Community Idea
2. SRM nerf was a Community idea
3. Release dates... missed, but lied about? :)
4. Ruin working systems [Citation Needed]

Opinions sans facts, you are a TRUE Forumite. The reason you're leaving the thread is because you have nothing to back up your opinions but your feelings. Try some facts next time.

#95 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:58 PM

View PostBagheera, on 02 February 2014 - 12:35 PM, said:

It may be a great article, but that doesn't absolve PGI's inability to effectively communicate from their end or their lack of desire to receive input from people who do express their opinions clearly, maturely, and backed with solid data. Even that isn't consistent either, some ideas adopted were pretty bad and adopted despite heavy and well reasoned objection. Occasionally a good suggestion or two slips in as well.

QFE, I don't think I have much more to add.

#96 BFett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts
  • LocationA galaxy far far away...

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:44 PM

View PostRoadbeer, on 03 February 2014 - 04:13 PM, said:

1. Ghost heat was a Community Idea
2. SRM nerf was a Community idea
3. Release dates... missed, but lied about? :)
4. Ruin working systems [Citation Needed]

Opinions sans facts, you are a TRUE Forumite. The reason you're leaving the thread is because you have nothing to back up your opinions but your feelings. Try some facts next time.

Do you have sources for the first 3 points?

Also, You can't cite yourself as a credible source.

Edited by BFett, 03 February 2014 - 05:48 PM.

#97 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 03 February 2014 - 06:31 PM

View PostGoManGo, on 03 February 2014 - 01:06 PM, said:

Well I have said what I truly think about MWO the Devs and the state of the game. Right or wrong it is my opinions and thoughts on the state of the game and community whatever.

P.S sorry my browser is not compatible with MWO forums the Quote does not work is this also my problem? or the people at PGI that will not fix it? Just upgraded to WIN 8.1 and explorer11 a few months back.

You are right, they are your opinions and you are completely entitled to them. No arguments here on that.

I also run on Wins 8.1. I shall now boot up IE and see how the forums work (after making this post). I'll see if I can quote. However, there is the quote tags one can use, even if you don't include name in the quote. It will at least help separate what someone else said to what you are saying...

View PostMarack Drock, on 03 February 2014 - 01:50 PM, said:

In reality if PGI hadn't been loading themselves up with stuff that hadn't even been in concept stage and then promise it at specific dates and then never bringing it out on the date, then they wouldn't have near the issues. PGI has started to many projects at once and not finished any of them yet. MY suggestion is to do one and focus on it. Then it will be done 10 times faster and they won't have all of the issues.

Not much of the stuff they do in the patches is even worth mentioning. It is usually New Mech, Nerfed Weapon this time is, and Hit Boxes tweaked. That is usually it.

Guess what they are starting to do now? Working on one project and getting it finished faster. Example: UI2.0.

View PostRebas Kradd, on 03 February 2014 - 01:55 PM, said:

I tend to leave the Skirmish debacle at PGI's feet. It would have taken them exactly thirty seconds to explain why they hesitated on developing that game mode. It would have left the community going "Yeah, but...but...umm...yeah, but....umm, well...hmmm...but...oh, well, okay, yeah I guess that makes sense." Whenever they have a good reason for doing something, they can just come out and say why, and they'll instantly get a lot of sensible people on their side to help them argue their case for them.

Instead, they did what they usually did...they just said nothing at all. Nothing. It goes way beyond "not feeling beholden to answer every thread". Major gameplay decision, major community request, and...nothing. Then they capitulated. It's bizarre.

That said, they seem to be turning it around. Looking forward to today's posts (Russ has promised two from his staff).

They did explain, several times from what I recall. Only to continue to have people demand such a feature because "they were tired of cap rushes". Well, PGI listened and provided EXACTLY WHAT WAS ASKED. Exactly. Now there are complaints that PGI was right to start with, by the same people who pushed for it, and they are now complaining about "the last mech hiding". What? Did the players who asked for this mode not see that possibility happening? Really?

View PostBFett, on 03 February 2014 - 02:37 PM, said:

Good luck "hand picking" and having them accept. Sometimes, you get what you got, and you work with what you have.

5 mill. That's 5,000,000 right?

Lets work off what I got paid 2 years ago, and I don't earn much per hour (I'm sure a designer makes a lot more money than I do). I earned in a whole year 12,000 roughly total. I am one person, and most of that was minimum wage and unemployment (that year).

Your budget per year 2,500,000. (You could hire 208 people at my yearly pay.)

You hired 20 people (say at my pay rate, which would be crazy). Yeah, you might be able to get it done, if I even know what I am doing.

Now, for more reasonable numbers. there are 365 days in a year, which equal to about 52 weeks. If each person got paid $40 an hour, and worked 40 hours a week, in a year one "designer" at that pay level would earn (1,600 a week x 52 weeks) $83,200.

Now, you could hire 30 deisgners being paid $40 an hour. We still haven't included costs such as elecrtisity, building rent, office space, computers to work on, internet fees, server costs, phone lines, paper, engine costs, etc...

Seems like a very tight budget there... and I don't think your "dream team" would go for a low contract.

View PostMarack Drock, on 03 February 2014 - 06:00 PM, said:

Also if you promise something on a certain date but don't release it when you said then you have lied.

I promise to be at work at a certain time. I get into an accident and run late/call out that day/week/ I died. Did I lie?

They missed a few dates. Problems arose. Delays happened. Goes on every day in everything. That doesn't mean that they lied about it.

#98 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 06:40 PM

(This post was created in IE on my windows 8.1 computer.)

I also run on Wins 8.1. I shall now boot up IE and see how the forums work (after making this post). I'll see if I can quote. However, there is the quote tags one can use, even if you don't include name in the quote. It will at least help separate what someone else said to what you are saying...

In forum quotes don't seem to work.

Background image jumps as I scroll the screen up and down.

Runs super slow.

Is messing up on what I ype when I type fast (like wt happening in this pahragaph).

Dump EI, go with Fire Fox. Much smoother and better running program than this piece of junk.

Fire fox is free. Runs smoother. Faster. Has spell check. Doesn't randomly drop letters int the abyss. Scans data for viruses and malware as it is uploading a web pge... and I AM SO SCK OF IT CUTTING UP MY ORDS! (So done fixing every other word here.)

(And it won lt me post,so I'm posting thi in fire ox)

Edited by Tesunie, 03 February 2014 - 06:40 PM.

#99 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:51 PM

View PostTichorius Davion, on 03 February 2014 - 01:13 PM, said:

Get Chrome, or even firefox. my god. Who uses IE other than those who have to?

Basically a "has to" in my case at work. I have to occasionally wipe the greasy slimy film that forms on my keyboard when I input things into the IE browser...you can feel the M$lime gooping things up.

#100 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:03 PM

View Postwanderer, on 03 February 2014 - 08:51 PM, said:

Basically a "has to" in my case at work. I have to occasionally wipe the greasy slimy film that forms on my keyboard when I input things into the IE browser...you can feel the M$lime gooping things up.

Did you see the post I "attempted" to make in IE? I got so tired of having to retype words and fix every other word, after 2 sentences, I gave up and stopped. (and the jumping background image of this site was giving me a headache.)

IE use to be decent enough, now it felt like total trash... I use to use IE all the time before XP and a little during. Then found FF and I have not regretted it yet...

Edited by Tesunie, 03 February 2014 - 09:04 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users