#1 Hex Pallett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:01 AM

I mean, look at those hardpoints! Two out of the five variants have so many energy hardpoints that they can deal more energy damage than a NORSE GOD. They have lower arm actuators that allows arm weapons to swipe around. They have Jumpjets. They have more module slots. They have roughly the same size of a Raven. They do have a lower engine cap than Jenner, but an XL265 is enough to send a FS beyong 120km/h pre-tweaked, with roughly 13-14 DHS onboard to deal with he heat while carrying 2 or more JJs.

In short, they practically outclass every single Light 'Mech that doesn't have ECM or a pair of missile hardpoints.

Gawd I'm tempted....

#2 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:09 AM

This thing is going to be ******* terrifying when it comes out. Yes, you will trigger ghost heat. No, it won't matter. In two quick trigger pulls you're dishing out 80 damage before running off at 150kph with jump capability to cool off. It's a HBK-4P without all the things that make the HBK-4P bad.

Edit: I forgot to add, the FS9 series is smaller than a Raven, but without the laughably terrible hitboxes that make the Ravens suicide machines.

Edited by aniviron, 05 February 2014 - 02:13 AM.

#3 FriarShaggy

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationSpokane, Washington

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:19 AM

Um dude? It's a Light. It'll die to an assault and other Classes. Here's a hint. Teamwork.

I love it. It isn't op. I the player is op. Are you going to ask pgi to nerf me next? Hmmmm new Signature time. NERF THAT OP FRIAR!!!

Friar.

#4 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:23 AM

Firestarter swarm is going to be scary. Can't wait for CBill release.

Not many mechs out there is going to survive a 4x40 damage pass from a coordinated lance.

#5 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:35 AM

nOPe!

In all seriousness, no, at least not the Ember. The model with 8 energy hardpoints (at least) will be a contender to take the crown from the Jenner, though.

View Postaniviron, on 05 February 2014 - 02:09 AM, said:

This thing is going to be ******* terrifying when it comes out. Yes, you will trigger ghost heat.

There's going to be all kinds of configs for it, but 8 ML isn't practical; 5 ML is too rough on a Jenner.

Now, things like 3 ML 5 SL? That you're going to see, and it's going to be glorious.

#6 Levon K

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 324 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:38 AM

I'm glad they brought the firestarter in and didn't gimp it (eg. Oxide). However I also hope they give other chassis a small buff if they need it in order to keep everything balanced.

Example: Death's Knell. I bought it a long time ago, I just never feel like using it. Ember, on the other hand, has the same energy hardpoints in the arms but actually has JJ's and 4 bonus ballistic hardpoints! That is the most obvious example of one chassis completely invalidating another.

#7 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:39 AM

It looks like a good light, but not really stronger than the Jenner. What it does, is make the shittiness of the shit lights stand out more.

#8 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:44 AM

View PostModo44, on 05 February 2014 - 02:39 AM, said:

It looks like a good light, but not really stronger than the Jenner. What it does, is make the shittiness of the shit lights stand out more.

The biggest thing is the Ember is only really useful with MGs, and MGs are kind of terrible yet. So this model is going to be pretty ho-hum once the other Firestarters are available to compare it to.

There is one that should sport 6 energy, 2 missile hardpoints and of course the 8 energy hardpoint monster we're talking about. Absolutely brutal.

I think the Ember will quickly fall to the side in favor of those.

#9 Lancer Deistler

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 193 posts
  • LocationStationed with the 8th Arcturan Guards at Here

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:45 AM

Basically what the Ember is:
Posted Image

The Firestarter has the potential to be the alpha light for the next months to come. Imagine if they had released the ECM Version of this (S1 i think). :ph34r:

Edited by Lancer Deistler, 05 February 2014 - 02:46 AM.

#10 Hammerhai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 998 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:47 AM

It excels at picking off isolated enemies. It also seems to lose its arms a bit quickly, but when you find Wispsy in your group ... well the guys know how to aim presumably. That may have something to do with it. Other than that I cannot comment too much. Oh, and I really do not know how I got into that ELO level, other than that some ppl I dropped with must be very high then. Or Match maker really works at balancing.

Edit: And yes, the Ember will fall by the wayside when the other models come onstream. But then most Heroes I have bought have been indifferent-ish in comparison, so much so that my avg earnings with boost often barely matched the normal variants earnings a significant amount of the time.

No P2W here, move along ...

Edited by Hammerhai, 05 February 2014 - 02:51 AM.

#11 BaconTWOfourACTUAL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:48 AM

View PostFriarShaggy, on 05 February 2014 - 02:19 AM, said:

Um dude? It's a Light. It'll die to an assault and other Classes. Here's a hint. Teamwork.

Thats great if you're in a premade group... 85% of Pugs during combat scatter like roaches when the lights come on.

Leaving the assault to be picked apart by light mechs.
Sure in theory a light couldn't stand a chance against an assault... given a good or even a mediocre pilot, that light could tear that assault a new one.

Its not about the kill... its about the damage done. The light could fly around the assault faster than the assault can turn, leaving it a sitting duck.
Assaults are good at one thing.. . Hitting other slow moving mechs, hard.

#12 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:49 AM

View PostLancer Deistler, on 05 February 2014 - 02:45 AM, said:

Basically what the Ember is:
Posted Image

The Firestarter has the potential to be the alpha light for the next months to come. Imagine if they had released the ECM Version of this (S1 i think). :ph34r:

I'd be more inclined to say it's the Wolfhound of MW:O.

#13 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:56 AM

View PostVictor Morson, on 05 February 2014 - 02:44 AM, said:

There is one that should sport 6 energy, 2 missile hardpoints

No, it should not. That would really make all other lights irrelevant.

#14 Hammerhai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 998 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:57 AM

One add: I have 13 or 14 Heatsinks, and that thing will alpha 3 Times in the Mordor Caldera before I even get a Heat warning...

#15 Flcn

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:10 AM

I Think the Firestarter Models except the ember (which isnt bad) have huge potential
from evil (and Hot) Alpha builds to crazy sustained dps..

Im looking forward to take the challenge with my jenner :ph34r:

#16 Novawrecker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:21 AM

View PostFriarShaggy, on 05 February 2014 - 02:19 AM, said:

I love it. It isn't op. I the player is op. Are you going to ask pgi to nerf me next? Hmmmm new Signature time. NERF THAT OP FRIAR!!!

Me: "Yep, he's OP! Time to nerf'em. I'll go grab da bat ...."

Others: "Um, Nova. That's not a nerf bat. Tis metal ..."

Me: "SEMANTICS!!!!"

hehe

#17 sneeking

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,586 posts
  • Locationwest OZ

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:42 AM

no they nerfed it by locating energy points to arms and balistic to torso ( in classic pgi style because this is a long running theme with them ) its backwards.

because you want balistic in arms you want to consume ammo and shield with arms then fall back on energy as your end game but they nerf any build that has so many hardpoints.

they only realy allow it in things like centurion with no jj and only one or two ballistic points and one or two energy and a few missile.

if you analyze it you see they are careful about it.

#18 BrokenDog

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationMiddlesex(UK)

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:44 AM

8 energy slots. . . Ghost heat for small lasers and small pulse lasers coming up.

FS9-S1 for anybody? ECM option circa 3049?

#19 Arnold J Rimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 892 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:54 AM

View PostVictor Morson, on 05 February 2014 - 02:49 AM, said:

I'd be more inclined to say it's the Wolfhound of MW:O.

You're determined to get that in here somehow, aren't you? A Wolfhound is a Wolfhound. The Ember is something different.

#20 Buckminster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:54 AM

I think the engine cap is too high. Taking a look at the base canon stats, it's base speed is slower than that of the Jenner - it only makes sense that the max speed should also be slower. But here we have an engine cap that is only 5 lower than that of the Jenner, which is meaningless.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users