Firestarter Op?

186 replies to this topic

#21 Motroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Locationmost likely gone

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:18 AM

Engine cap is 295 right? That's the same weight/engine relation as the RVN-3L so it will be going 150 km/h with tweak...

#22 Tahribator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:18 AM

After a few rounds in my Ember, I must say it's a very effective mech so far. I always had a soft spot for crit seeking lights like SDR-5K and LCT-1V, but they're ultimately dependent on their team to damage enemy mechs, so they can bring their MG's to bear.

Ember is an all-in-one in this sense. I can punch in through armor with 4ML's easily, after that 4MG's rip that component apart. This tactic is effective against all kinds of opponents, be that an Atlas or a Jenner. When fighting an Ember, you must be really aware of your armor. Any stripped component and it will be gone in no time.

If you're not using MG's in your Ember, honestly you're doing it wrong.

#23 Guchion

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 99 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:31 AM

I've got an ember and Ive been running the stock armament, with just a switch to XL engine for a little more speed and so on.
First game I played I got 3 kills and a decent damage score...

Running around flaming the crap out of weakened mechs and machine gunning their weak points is the best fun i've had in ages.

#24 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:32 AM

View PostMotroid, on 05 February 2014 - 05:18 AM, said:

Engine cap is 295 right? That's the same weight/engine relation as the RVN-3L so it will be going 150 km/h with tweak...

Good point. I guess I should be complaining that the Raven engine cap is too high as well. ;)

A lot of this goes back to "how PGI screwed the Locust" - by taking the fastest mech in the game and eliminating it's speed advantage over other canon designs. A Locust should be able to run rings around a Commando, but it can't. A Jenner should do the same to a Firestarter, but it can't. The arbitrarily gave some mechs a larger-than-standard engine cap bump.

I wish that they had stuck with a standard formula across the board, maybe "base engine size + mech weight", which would give that bump of 1 walk over the baseline. Then you'd see the Jenner's cap at 280, and the Firestarter's cap at 245. You'd still be able to speed up your mechs, but it'd retain the usual pecking order.

And for all the people that would complain about their Commando being slow and useless, then don't buy a Commando. :D

#25 -Muta-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 749 posts
  • Locationstill remains a mistery.

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:46 AM

The OXIDE is OP. ;)

Any other light mech will run away when they see the oxide.

#26 Tahribator

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:03 AM

View PostMutaroc, on 05 February 2014 - 05:46 AM, said:

The OXIDE is OP. ;)

Oh well, only against other lights. A medium, heavy or assault will shrug off your randomly distributed damage and proceed to work on your huge CT.

#27 levitas

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Forbidden
  • The Forbidden
  • 264 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:18 AM

The thing people seem to be ignoring is really what makes the firestarter good: It can distribute damage by twisting. This mech actually feels tanky for a light, there've been games that I've somehow eaten 3 AC20 hits and kept going, something that's never happened in a raven, jenner, or spider (though arguments can be made about that spider's profile.

#28 BaconTWOfourACTUAL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:35 AM

View PostMutaroc, on 05 February 2014 - 05:46 AM, said:

The OXIDE is OP. ;)

I run away from no mech...
Which is probably why my KDR sucks so bad.

#29 Boymonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 772 posts
  • LocationUK Yorkshire (from Manchester)

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:55 AM

Gotta say this mech is great, very tall and leggy but fun fun fun.

#30 Bront

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:55 AM

It's arm weapons are lower mounted and more vulnerable than a Jenner's, and it's movement type is larger (Jenner and Raven are Tiny). Beyond that, the XL300 actually helps make room for an extra HS. The firestarter may have trouble using both ENDO and FF (My tenitive builds couldn't fit FF in) along with lots of HS, so it's effectively got almost a 1 ton disadvantage when it can't. It also has issues with Torso vs Arm mounted weapons in general

The 6E2B version looks interesting as well

Check out the top engine 8 ML build in this thread. 13 HS. That's not going to be sustainable.

I'm looking forward to getting one (Ember and Firestarter), but it doesn't make the Jenner Obsolete. It does kick the somewhat usable with the speed boost Raven 4X in the nuts though.

#31 Boymonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 772 posts
  • LocationUK Yorkshire (from Manchester)

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:24 AM

Just renamed mine the Killstealer ;)

Those 4 mg's just give you so much component destruction you just gotta hang back and know when to strike Mahahahahaha

#32 dario03

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:51 AM

View Postsolar levitas, on 05 February 2014 - 06:18 AM, said:

The thing people seem to be ignoring is really what makes the firestarter good: It can distribute damage by twisting. This mech actually feels tanky for a light, there've been games that I've somehow eaten 3 AC20 hits and kept going, something that's never happened in a raven, jenner, or spider (though arguments can be made about that spider's profile.

Yeah its odd that doesn't get brought up more often. I haven't used a Ember but I've seen them have damaged spread all over where as the Jenner is just a giant CT that seems to come with damage magnets built into it.

#33 Panzerjotun

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 264 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:53 AM

I have one and I think as usual people are over reacting. Is it good? You betcha. But just like any light zig where you should have zagged and splat your dead. Right now that new car smell is affecting some of your brains.

#34 Drunken Bunny

• Pip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 10 posts
  • LocationNear Toronto, Canada

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:13 AM

View PostGuchion, on 05 February 2014 - 05:31 AM, said:

I've got an ember and Ive been running the stock armament, with just a switch to XL engine for a little more speed and so on.
First game I played I got 3 kills and a decent damage score...

Running around flaming the crap out of weakened mechs and machine gunning their weak points is the best fun i've had in ages.

This, all day long! Running mine with stock loadout too, except for an XL255 I had lying around and maxed armor.

To heck with meta builds, I'm having an absolute BLAST running around flaming the crap out of everything! It really does shut down energy boats too *grin*

Not to mention that if you find an inattentive pilot, those flamers cut through back armor surprisingly effectively and then it's MG time!

#35 Lucky Moniker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 452 posts
  • LocationSeaside, CA

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:16 AM

you can easily fir the 295 with the stock weapon loadout, it is quite entertaining :) 400+ damage games with flamers and mg's.
my best game so far was 5 kills and 800ish damage, but that was with 4 ML's and mgs

#36 B1Ack0u7

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 2 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:19 AM

Loving the Ember Hero so far. I'm still tweaking the loadout and am opting for the 4ML instead of the ERLL.

#37 Wriath

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • 108 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:20 AM

Have most of the people calling it op not driven it? It handles like a brick. Granted I don't yet have double basics, but the thing handles like a max engine TBT-3C. The jenner, and especially the lighter mechs (mando, spider) can make this thing feel like a medium if they're good.

#38 kensie

Rookie

• The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:27 AM

Looking to run the firestarter ember as this any thoughts on whether it would be a good build? Just got the ember today but trying to decide exactly what to do with it.

Edited by kensie, 05 February 2014 - 10:29 AM.

#39 Lucky Moniker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 452 posts
  • LocationSeaside, CA

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:28 AM

only until you get the double basics, this thing handles like a jenner when I am in the cockpit

#40 z00med

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:30 AM

Its a good mech, but no way OP (considering the fact that PGI wanted lights to be equal to heavier mechs).

I stopped wasting ammo on spiders as soon as they have a ping which is 70-100 better than mine, but somehow they avoided the hitreg issue with the new light (thanks for that! now simply give spiders the same profile :)).
Its a worthy opponent (unless some metaninjas are stuffing it with PPCs, but this currently happens to everything that has 2 energy slots :D) and I think a very viable mech.
But it doesnt seem to profit from something broken like the spider.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users