Hero 'mech La Malinche

208 replies to this topic

#161 Liquid Leopard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationChesapeake, VA

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:49 PM

View PostKhajja nar Jatargk, on 07 March 2014 - 01:36 PM, said:

now lets word of mouth that story from generation to generation over the next 1000+ years and you dont think they're gonna get interconnected?

The next 1000 years haven't happened yet. PGI exists here and now, and they shouldn't go out of their way to perpetuate a story that's so far from the original.

As for the myths being mixed here and now, I now realize they were mixed in a movie in 1933. To me, that explains everything. Once the movie came out, hundreds (maybe thousands) of people would brain-dump the folklore they grew up with, and raise the next generation with a whole new story.

Meanwhile, as a result of my consulting with scholars on the subject, a professor at the University of Mexico and another at the University of New Mexico are wound up enough they might update the wiki articles cited in this thread.

#162 Lord Perversor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,815 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in New Aragon

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:07 PM

View PostLiquid Leopard, on 07 March 2014 - 02:49 PM, said:

The next 1000 years haven't happened yet. PGI exists here and now, and they shouldn't go out of their way to perpetuate a story that's so far from the original.

As for the myths being mixed here and now, I now realize they were mixed in a movie in 1933. To me, that explains everything. Once the movie came out, hundreds (maybe thousands) of people would brain-dump the folklore they grew up with, and raise the next generation with a whole new story.

Meanwhile, as a result of my consulting with scholars on the subject, a professor at the University of Mexico and another at the University of New Mexico are wound up enough they might update the wiki articles cited in this thread.

i won;t be surprised if as you say the movie can be the origin of the mixed up mythos.

I remember back in collegue, one of our works about a specific book ended with half the class failing it due lazyness and using the history from the film adaptation instead the original book (since the history was modified for the film and our professor asking several question with such idea on mind)

#163 Fang01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 993 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:31 PM

Congrats, in your attempt to discredit this hero you've JUST singlehandedly canonized it. Film carries FAR better over time than whisper down the lane does. And there is precedent....

#164 Edward Mattlov

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 388 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:52 PM

The Battletech / MWO universe is science fiction, with the key word being fiction. If we banned / censored everything that could possibly offend anyone, then there would be nothing left to read, play or watch.

#165 Tannhauser Gate

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationAttack ship off the Shoulder of Orion

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:11 PM

I need to check my nerd dipstick. I must be low since I cant understand why someone could get so Sheldon Cooper a-nal bent over a myth upon which a fictional mech in a video game based. Maybe.. just maybe.. you should get out more.

Edited by LakeDaemon, 07 March 2014 - 04:11 PM.

#166 Mad Strike

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLima , Peru

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:53 PM

View PostLakeDaemon, on 07 March 2014 - 04:11 PM, said:

I need to check my nerd dipstick. I must be low since I cant understand why someone could get so Sheldon Cooper a-nal bent over a myth upon which a fictional mech in a video game based. Maybe.. just maybe.. you should get out more.

GG XD XD

#167 Liquid Leopard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationChesapeake, VA

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:53 PM

If I'm a nerd for speaking fact, then I've been out-nerded by the people trying to rationalize "1000 years in the future."

The facts don't change for anyone's convenience...or marketing.

#168 Rebas Kradd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,969 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 06:04 PM

LOL...this was just kind of an epic post.

9/10, would recommend to friends

#169 Xtrekker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 865 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:46 PM

'merica, pew pew.

#170 grim57

• PipPip
  • The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 46 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:05 PM

Posted Image

#171 Lord Perversor

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 02:56 AM

View PostKhajja nar Jatargk, on 07 March 2014 - 03:31 PM, said:

Congrats, in your attempt to discredit this hero you've JUST singlehandedly canonized it. Film carries FAR better over time than whisper down the lane does. And there is precedent....

I wasn't trying to discredit the Hero, Liquid Leopard and we hold a discussion about if La Malinche was or not linked to La Llorona myth or was just a wrong assumption someone updated on wikipedia.

Hence why we accepted the Film as one of the most fiable sources as origin of the mixed up mythos.

P.S: my general position about the whole origin it's just don't freak too much about it probably since histories seems to be mixed with myths across the years/centuries much like it happened to Elizabeth Bathory or Vlad Teppes who have become Vampires for the popular belief.

#172 Fang01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 993 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 08 March 2014 - 08:54 AM

View PostLord Perversor, on 08 March 2014 - 02:56 AM, said:

I wasn't trying to discredit the Hero, Liquid Leopard and we hold a discussion about if La Malinche was or not linked to La Llorona myth or was just a wrong assumption someone updated on wikipedia.

Hence why we accepted the Film as one of the most fiable sources as origin of the mixed up mythos.

P.S: my general position about the whole origin it's just don't freak too much about it probably since histories seems to be mixed with myths across the years/centuries much like it happened to Elizabeth Bathory or Vlad Teppes who have become Vampires for the popular belief.

hrm discredit is the wrong word, then again i just wanted an excuse to post the Ilya Muromets movie again

#173 sabujo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:33 AM

View PostLord Perversor, on 08 March 2014 - 02:56 AM, said:

This discussion reminds me the retractive opinions on the UNESCO initiative of protecting and preserving intangible heritage (myths, folktales, crafts, practices, rituals, etc.). Some scholars (mostly anthropologists) claim that this kind of heritage cannot be crystalized and put in a shelf as it is permanently mutated, rearranged and reinterpreted by those who transmit it.

So, while the discussions about what is the true origin and the true story is a fun exercise, it cannot reach objective conclusions. And the better part is that these conclusions will affect the way the story will be told from now on and reinterpreted by the next generations.

Edited by sabujo, 08 March 2014 - 10:34 AM.

#174 Zenki Style

• Pip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:54 AM

I'm contemplating what caused me to read this mess of 9 pages right now.

#175 Lord Perversor

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:30 AM

View PostAdam pope, on 08 March 2014 - 10:54 AM, said:

I'm contemplating what caused me to read this mess of 9 pages right now.

Then just play the game and have fun.

And if by any chance this conversation bring you some interest to know a bit more about folklore and myths it's just a plus

#176 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:25 AM

View PostSteelgrave, on 06 March 2014 - 10:36 PM, said:

Underbite was the term you were looking for.

Let's settle for "bite".

Posted Image

#177 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:35 AM

View PostSteelgrave, on 06 March 2014 - 10:36 PM, said:

Underbite was the term you were looking for.

You are correct.

View PostFrost Lord, on 07 March 2014 - 03:38 AM, said:

im a firing my lazar!!!!!!

If only we can somehow stuff a PPC in the head....

#178 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 09 March 2014 - 02:21 AM

View PostAlex Wolfe, on 04 March 2014 - 11:48 AM, said:

I'd love to know what's the reasoning that La Malinche, an "interpreter, advisor, lover and intermediary for Hernán Cortés", thus an accomplice - willing or otherwise - to genocide, should be an inspiration for a hero mech.

Yen Lo Wang, a Chinese-themed mech sporting the colors of the Imperial Japanese Army was one thing - it's a lapsus of an earlier picture recreated in MWO, regrettable and somewhat insensitive, but explainable. This, however, is a wholly new creation. Why would you invoke Malintzin, a controversial figure often seen as a symbol of race treachery, in your game?

You must be happy in your Black and white world, no shades of grey there huh.

Also an ability to cherry pick the truth in your image.

Slaves have no nationality, no rights, she was regarded as property like a cow would be to an american farmer, and given as a gift to Cortes, to expect a loyalty to any nation let alone one that practiced human sacrifice is laughable, as is trying to compare her to a person like Benedict Arnold.

Careful that herd of long horns might be formulating Rebellion in Texas, best arrest them :ph34r:

Edited by Cathy, 09 March 2014 - 02:23 AM.

#179 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 09 March 2014 - 02:25 AM

Well its because people are trying to compare a slave in the same way, as a real traitor like Benedict Arnold, or Kim Philby

I mean, lets just go back to the American civil war, was a black escaped Slave born in America,fighting for the union a traitor to the newly formed confederate states, I think not, but others might have a different opinion, but if it is I want to know which state of America you were born and live in, as part your Answer :ph34r:

Edited by Cathy, 09 March 2014 - 02:29 AM.

#180 Eglar

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 921 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 March 2014 - 05:31 AM

View Postxengk, on 06 March 2014 - 07:55 PM, said:

I like how the LM's head is a composite of the 1E and 11X, but more snake-like and with a piranha's overbite.
Posted Image

You mean, like this?

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users