208 replies to this topic

#181 Fang01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 993 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 09 March 2014 - 01:28 PM

I'd like to point out that my reference to our esteemed former Major General was intended to be satirical, ridiculous and in no way was meant to be an analogy of this woman's supposed actions.

#182 Arkhangel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,188 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:17 AM

View PostSniper09121986, on 06 March 2014 - 11:57 AM, said:

May I add: the Gunslinger ;)

No. You may not. Not for two years, anyways. if there's one thing PGI's been sticklers for 'mech wise, it's 'mechs appropriate to the timeline year. Gunslinger is built in RESPONSE to the Clan Invasion. The IS didn't even get organized for a counteroffensive till at least mid-3051, let alone start designing new mechs. it's the same reason we don't have the Hollander or Bushwacker yet. Soon, yes, but not yet.

and for all the whiners.... We're not going to see FedCom Civil War Era Mechs. not unless there's a MASSIVE timeskip. so no Templars, Fafnirs, Blood Asps, Mad Cat MKIIs or Solitaires.... plus... honestly, they need to fix the CURRENT mechs and weapon systems, not add even more broken shit like Heavy Gauss Rifles and Rotary Autocannons.

P.S. Sunder is a maybe, as i believe it's a 3056 'mech. Inner Sphere Omni, based on Captured Thors. you'll be seeing that one sooner than those others! (Mauler and Zeus're pretty likely to be soon as well).

#183 Xeno Phalcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:28 AM

View PostArkhangel, on 10 March 2014 - 05:17 AM, said:

No. You may not. Not for two years, anyways. if there's one thing PGI's been sticklers for 'mech wise, it's 'mechs appropriate to the timeline year. Gunslinger is built in RESPONSE to the Clan Invasion. The IS didn't even get organized for a counteroffensive till at least mid-3051, let alone start designing new mechs. it's the same reason we don't have the Hollander or Bushwacker yet. Soon, yes, but not yet.

and for all the whiners.... We're not going to see FedCom Civil War Era Mechs. not unless there's a MASSIVE timeskip. so no Templars, Fafnirs, Blood Asps, Mad Cat MKIIs or Solitaires.... plus... honestly, they need to fix the CURRENT mechs and weapon systems, not add even more broken shit like Heavy Gauss Rifles and Rotary Autocannons.

P.S. Sunder is a maybe, as i believe it's a 3056 'mech. Inner Sphere Omni, based on Captured Thors. you'll be seeing that one sooner than those others! (Mauler and Zeus're pretty likely to be soon as well).

There has been talk of actual timejumps , I could easily see us geting small timeline jumps like 2-5 years, though i wouldn't count on any late 3060+ era mechs, but the possibility of gunslingers, avatars, and sunders comming out later down the road in a 'anti clan' pack is quite possible.

#184 Fang01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 993 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:57 AM

View PostArkhangel, on 10 March 2014 - 05:17 AM, said:

Not without my Mackie

#185 Kooroush Azartash

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 75 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:48 AM

View PostAntharPrime, on 04 March 2014 - 10:50 AM, said:

That is an ugly mech. What happened to the skull face for the Banshee? The head looks like the Victor or Kintaro.

I think it does have mouth.. The small laser is in it. It's almost reptilian or even slightly jack-o-lantern-ish. Although there is no distinctive "eyes", I've seen art of banshee in that manner.

#186 sabujo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:59 AM

View PostKooroush Azartash, on 10 March 2014 - 07:48 AM, said:

I think it does have mouth.. The small laser is in it. It's almost reptilian or even slightly jack-o-lantern-ish. Although there is no distinctive "eyes", I've seen art of banshee in that manner.

The mouth is there and there are lot of similarities to the original graphical interpretations of the chassis (the grin and the cool glasses). The problem here, in my opinion, is the camouflage that blends the lines of the face. I hope the facial expression will be more evident in the regular variants.

#187 Arkhangel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,188 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:41 AM

View PostXeno Phalcon, on 10 March 2014 - 05:28 AM, said:

There has been talk of actual timejumps , I could easily see us geting small timeline jumps like 2-5 years, though i wouldn't count on any late 3060+ era mechs, but the possibility of gunslingers, avatars, and sunders comming out later down the road in a 'anti clan' pack is quite possible.

Wouldn't be averse to an Avatar. it's one of my favorite IS Omnis.

#188 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,250 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:49 AM

View PostXeno Phalcon, on 10 March 2014 - 05:28 AM, said:

I would love this! I want a Sunder!

#189 Archon Adam Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Bronze Champ
  • WC 2017 Bronze Champ
  • 344 posts
  • LocationVancouver, Canada

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:23 PM

I still don't like the fact that a Celtic named/themed 'mech was given a Meso-American theme... I mean... what? The Kintaro Hero? Golden Boy, with appropriate Asian-inspired motif. The 'double Dragons' Heros? Ditto. It's not a huge deal, but it doesn't make sense, and seems an entirely random decision. I am sure someone will jump in with, "Yen-lo-Wang is a Chinese name for a 'Roman' 'mech!", but in that case, it's a lore thing; that's a REAL hero 'mech, taken from the richly developed lore of Battletech, and belonging to an ethnically Chinese character within that universe - it makes sense. This Banshee (and many other Hero 'mechs in MW:O), are simply 'made up' - they have no back-story, no 'point' to their name or design. To randomly choose a Meso-American theme for a Celtic design, then, is just... well... random.

... and then we get to the major issue. This just does not look like a Banshee. The head looks sloppily done, the shoulders are all wrong, and the 'mech is too broad. I've spent a great deal of money on this game, mostly because I have been very impressed with how well the design team has captured table-top/book designs in a modern setting, but this is the first time that I've seen a 'mech released that looks almost nothing like the reference design - in fact, it looks like it was made from left-over assets from previously released 'mechs. I'm quite disappointed, because I was willing to spend the money to buy this. Judging from how few of these things one sees on the field, I feel relatively safe in saying that I am not alone in my sentiments.

Edited by Arrachtas, 10 March 2014 - 01:26 PM.

#190 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:36 PM

View PostArrachtas, on 10 March 2014 - 12:23 PM, said:

I still don't like the fact that a Celtic named/themed 'mech was given a Meso-American them... I mean... what? The Kintaro Hero? Golden Boy, with appropriate Asian-inspired motif. The 'double Dragons' Heros? Ditto. It's not a huge deal, but it doesn't make sense, and seems an entirely random decision. I am sure someone will jump in with, "Yen-lo-Wang is a Chinese name for a 'Roman' 'mech!", but in that case, it's a lore thing; that's a REAL hero 'mech, taken from the richly developed lore of Battletech, and belonging to an ethnically Chinese character within that universe - it makes sense. This Banshee (and many other Hero 'mechs in MW:O), are simply 'made up' - they have no back-story, no 'point' to their name or design. To randomly choose a Meso-American theme for a Celtic design, then, is just... well... random.

... and then we get to the major issue. This just does not look like a Banshee. The head looks sloppily done, the shoulders are all wrong, and the 'mech is too broad. I've spent a great deal of money on this game, mostly because I have been very impressed with how well the design team has captured table-top/book designs in a modern setting, but this is the first time that I've seen a 'mech released that looks almost nothing like the reference design - in fact, it looks like it was made from left-over assets from previously released 'mechs. I'm quite disappointed, because I was willing to spend the money to buy this. Judging from how few of these things one sees on the field, I feel relatively safe in saying that I am not alone in my sentiments.

Thankfully, none of us has to. If you want a Banshee, hang on for this week and you can get them with C-bills. Or, if you're like me and the Banshee doesn't blow your skirt up, hold on for something more inspiring.

The Hatchetman, Zeus, King Crab, annnnnnnnnnnd...that's about it. If PGI implements those and allows me to brain other mechs with my big axe, I'll be happy.

#191 Fang01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 993 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:33 PM

View PostArrachtas, on 10 March 2014 - 12:23 PM, said:

I still don't like the fact that a Celtic named/themed 'mech was given a Meso-American theme... I mean... what? The Kintaro Hero? Golden Boy, with appropriate Asian-inspired motif. The 'double Dragons' Heros? Ditto. It's not a huge deal, but it doesn't make sense, and seems an entirely random decision. I am sure someone will jump in with, "Yen-lo-Wang is a Chinese name for a 'Roman' 'mech!", but in that case, it's a lore thing; that's a REAL hero 'mech, taken from the richly developed lore of Battletech, and belonging to an ethnically Chinese character within that universe - it makes sense. This Banshee (and many other Hero 'mechs in MW:O), are simply 'made up' - they have no back-story, no 'point' to their name or design. To randomly choose a Meso-American theme for a Celtic design, then, is just... well... random.

you forgot to be incensed that they released this thing in MARCH :)

#192 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 10 March 2014 - 03:01 PM

View PostLiquid Leopard, on 07 March 2014 - 02:49 PM, said:

The next 1000 years haven't happened yet. PGI exists here and now, and they shouldn't go out of their way to perpetuate a story that's so far from the original.

As for the myths being mixed here and now, I now realize they were mixed in a movie in 1933. To me, that explains everything. Once the movie came out, hundreds (maybe thousands) of people would brain-dump the folklore they grew up with, and raise the next generation with a whole new story.

Meanwhile, as a result of my consulting with scholars on the subject, a professor at the University of Mexico and another at the University of New Mexico are wound up enough they might update the wiki articles cited in this thread.

In other words, after 1000 years of war and diaspora, it makes perfect sense, much as a Roman themed mech piloted by a half-Chinese warrior painted in an Imperial japanese flag does.

Very important to get worked up over fictional stuff in a video game! I live in Mexico, and most of the people I talk to barely know half the legends about either. I'm sure some of the Nahua know more than your average Spanish Speakers here, but even amongst them, as is the case with all folklore, you ask 10 different people and authorities, you will get 10 slightly divergent answers.

Also, I'd point out that it was "her people" that gave her to the Spaniards as a slave, so shocker that she was not exactly enamored of them.

*ps...always amazes me how different the answers I get about things like culture, folklore and such are from when I talk to the Academics, and I talk to la raza. One forgets that folklore is in itself alive, malleable and changes. One should never try to connect it too heavily with, or confuse it with history and archeology, which deal in hard facts, where folklore, mythology and theology deal in interpretations, half remembered stories and history lost to the fog of time. All myths and legends and folklore have always changed and been adapted to whatever the needs of the people, the culture at a given time needed to have their inspiration. I love watching people argue over the Norse Tales for instance, about how this is right, or this is wrong, and yet to each Teutonic culture, Thor and Odin and such could be represented very differently, and have feats ascribed to one in Norway, ascribed to a totally different entity in the early Germanic Legends.

So to hold a fictional game, set in a fictional universe set 1000 years from now to some sort of archeological burden of proof over legends that are told differently by every different tribe in Mexico? Pretty dang silly. It's like trying to compare tacos and gorditas and moles from one side of the country to the other and complaining about which are "genuine" or not.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 10 March 2014 - 03:10 PM.

#193 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:24 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 10 March 2014 - 10:49 AM, said:

I would love this! I want a Sunder!

Posted Image

#194 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 06:00 PM

View Postxengk, on 05 March 2014 - 10:27 PM, said:

As a Chinese who is born and living in a country invaded by Imperial Japan during WWII and have family members suffered at their brutality.
I thank you for your well meaning concern but I think you are over-blowing this issue.
Yes, I own a YLW.

Off topic but:
The younger generation wouldn't care but your grand parent would because they lived through it.

There was an incident in SG several years back where a mall had a Japanese food fare thought it would be nice to put up the rising sun banners as part of the theme... LOL... It pissed up the grand people that saw it and the mall immediately took the banners down... Just to take note that these feelings still do exists.

#195 Decep-Qi-Kons

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 122 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 06:34 PM

Please:
  • move the laser out of the mouth
  • move the AMS off of the head.
Seriously, this mech doesn't look ominous, it looks like a teletubby with a clown nose.

The Banshee...it's my favorite mech. Do it proud!

#196 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:49 PM

View PostShinVector, on 10 March 2014 - 06:00 PM, said:

Off topic but:
The younger generation wouldn't care but your grand parent would because they lived through it.

There was an incident in SG several years back where a mall had a Japanese food fare thought it would be nice to put up the rising sun banners as part of the theme... LOL... It pissed up the grand people that saw it and the mall immediately took the banners down... Just to take note that these feelings still do exists.

Oh believe me, there are still people who are touchy about the Imperial Japan motif, but yes it is mostly the older generation.
The younger generation have accepted Japan's new image of electronics, game and anime.

There were also casualty in the family back in my grand parent's time.
My grand uncle bug out to England when the invasion starts, but now he cannot return to get a Malaysian citizenship because he was born before the forming of the nation and wasn't around when the British was handling out ID card after the invasion. Meanwhile he is also not recognized as a British citizen in England.

#197 Gumon Choji

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 206 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:42 PM

I add this to the conversation. The 95 ton mech is the true king of assult mechs. When I played the old first editions I discovered this by studying the engines. My statement is based on how you were limited by what engines would allow full hex movements. Due to this the 400 engine and the 380 engine are amazing. The xl saves you 6 tons and you get the same payoff. The STD version saves you over 11.5 tons. Now with the 5 ton difference. The 95 ton has 1 ton more to use with an xl and 6.5 tones more space for std engine brawling. If you add in the saving on internal structure you get .5 more tons to work with. This makes the atlas out dated.

Next this chassi has a great missle location. This model is also great for turning. only one other assult compairs. But this one wins non arm twist, letting you hit with everything. Also JJ have been tweeked This improves the mech by comparison as no assult can whip around. Though the deliberate pace of this mech will be a turn off to heavy or lighter drivers. For one who is use to slow pace this mech can haul and fight well. It is made to snipe/ big weapons or to get up in close. the other models are made to focus on smaller weapons and making tough choices. No AC 40.

The issue as I see it is that PGI has tanked the Atlas sales due to this guy. But it is not a spiper like victor. The missles are not as many as the Highlander but they can keep raining or a runing target.

Sorry it is late and I must be sleeping.

But Good Job and 95 ton is the sweet spot for moving and winning, With speed

#198 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:09 AM

View PostKillkie, on 10 March 2014 - 06:34 PM, said:

Please:
  • move the laser out of the mouth
  • move the AMS off of the head.
Seriously, this mech doesn't look ominous, it looks like a teletubby with a clown nose.

Pics please

#199 Fang01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 993 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:01 AM

Partyjacked one of these to death last night ;)

#200 GrandLocomon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • LocationWestern Australia

Posted 11 March 2014 - 04:15 PM

http://www.camospecs...ure.asp?ID=6752

This is what the hero banshee should have been. Opportunity, wasted. XD

View PostBront, on 11 March 2014 - 08:09 AM, said:

Pics please

Seconded. For the lulz.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users