Hero 'mech La Malinche

208 replies to this topic

#201 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,365 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:32 AM

I like this Mech is capable of showing off the "Middlefinger" - i guess its in preparation for future planned MC based "Special Insulting Gestures" packs. ;)

Edited by Thorqemada, 12 March 2014 - 06:33 AM.

#202 Mad Dog Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 489 posts
  • LocationOutlaw On The Run, Faster than a Stolen Gun

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:10 AM

I've only seen this mech once. Its weaksauce hardpoint setup makes it more of a unicorn than anything else... A rare unicorn.

#203 Arkhangel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,181 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:42 PM

View PostVaskadar, on 12 March 2014 - 07:10 AM, said:

I've only seen this mech once. Its weaksauce hardpoint setup makes it more of a unicorn than anything else... A rare unicorn.

that being said, the normal variants are powerhouses. hell, one of them has TEN hardpoints. not to mention 3E has four ballistics, the most of any assault yet released

#204 Edward Mattlov

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 388 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:36 PM

My OCD like thought process will not allow me to buy a Banshee because the mech has six fingers and in every picture of the Banshee in Battlech, it has five. I wonder what the reason for this was, a cut and paste error?

Edited by Edward Mattlov, 13 March 2014 - 07:37 PM.

#205 DLFReporter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,193 posts
  • LocationAlpenfestung

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:10 PM

View PostEdward Mattlov, on 13 March 2014 - 07:36 PM, said:

My OCD like thought process will not allow me to buy a Banshee because the mech has six fingers and in every picture of the Banshee in Battlech, it has five. I wonder what the reason for this was, a cut and paste error?

If you look closely you might see that it has not just 6 but 7 "Fingers" the "Thumb" is also segmented in two.
Take the hands as claws with 5+2 actuators on one side and all is well. Not everything that looks like a hand is one.:P

#206 Xtrekker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 865 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:32 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 10 March 2014 - 03:01 PM, said:

So to hold a fictional game, set in a fictional universe set 1000 years from now to some sort of archeological burden of proof over legends that are told differently by every different tribe in Mexico? Pretty dang silly. It's like trying to compare tacos and gorditas and moles from one side of the country to the other and complaining about which are "genuine" or not.

Absolutely agree, because we all know Mexican food outside of Texas is irrelevant. Why argue against infallible truth?

#207 Edward Mattlov

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 388 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:13 AM

View PostArrachtas, on 10 March 2014 - 12:23 PM, said:

I still don't like the fact that a Celtic named/themed 'mech was given a Meso-American theme... I mean... what? The Kintaro Hero? Golden Boy, with appropriate Asian-inspired motif. The 'double Dragons' Heros? Ditto. It's not a huge deal, but it doesn't make sense, and seems an entirely random decision. I am sure someone will jump in with, "Yen-lo-Wang is a Chinese name for a 'Roman' 'mech!", but in that case, it's a lore thing; that's a REAL hero 'mech, taken from the richly developed lore of Battletech, and belonging to an ethnically Chinese character within that universe - it makes sense. This Banshee (and many other Hero 'mechs in MW:O), are simply 'made up' - they have no back-story, no 'point' to their name or design. To randomly choose a Meso-American theme for a Celtic design, then, is just... well... random.

... and then we get to the major issue. This just does not look like a Banshee. The head looks sloppily done, the shoulders are all wrong, and the 'mech is too broad. I've spent a great deal of money on this game, mostly because I have been very impressed with how well the design team has captured table-top/book designs in a modern setting, but this is the first time that I've seen a 'mech released that looks almost nothing like the reference design - in fact, it looks like it was made from left-over assets from previously released 'mechs. I'm quite disappointed, because I was willing to spend the money to buy this. Judging from how few of these things one sees on the field, I feel relatively safe in saying that I am not alone in my sentiments.

I was a bit disappointed by the theme myself, and even La Malinche is only tenuously linked to the the legend of La Llorona (which is the Spanish / Mexican legend that is similar to a Banshee). Now, I do see where some over-serious Mexicans would be offended by a Spanish legend being combined with an Aztec / Native legend, but hey, you should just be happy that your culture is represented in the game at all. Anyway, PGI can still make a Celtic (Welsh) themed Cauldron Born after the clans are launched.

#208 Opus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,671 posts
  • LocationI am not here. why the **** are you looking here?

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:38 AM

Posted Image

#209 Edward Mattlov

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 388 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:50 AM

View PostOpus, on 15 March 2014 - 10:38 AM, said:

Posted Image

And believed to be the mother of the first Mestizo. La Llorona was the woman who drowned her kids and became a ghost.

Edited by Edward Mattlov, 15 March 2014 - 10:51 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users