213 replies to this topic

#41 Kudzu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the SEC

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:36 PM

View PostTierloc, on 16 November 2011 - 12:58 PM, said:

You mean like kudzu's response?

You mean the part where I've actually played the MW games with these features in the past, have seen first hand how it doesn't work, and know that if those same broken systems are involved with this title that I'd rather not support it with my wallet? I guess I'm a bad person for knowing what I like and don't like.

If their idea of "sticking close to the lore and TT" means that the mechs look like what are in the TRO's and have the same names but play like Quake, then that's fine, I hope others enjoy it, but I'd rather know that upfront then be dragged along with vague answers.

Edited by Kudzu, 16 November 2011 - 01:36 PM.

#42 Threat Doc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:38 PM

Yeah, about the HULA girls; what is it with you guys, hehe?

Though none of my three questions were seen worthy to be answered, I found this information fairly good fodder for further conversation. I didn't really have any negative feelings from what was said, but I also only had about two "yay"s. I still am at a point where I will have to wait and see. If combat tuning is going to be done during beta, I am actually cringing because I'm fairly certain of the way it will end up going.

Don't get me wrong, I'm actually having a good day, today, and am trying to keep a fairly positive attitude, but from what I've read, here, except for the command portions of the game and the neat new things that are being added, I'm afraid I can't really give a positive opinion.

@Kudzu, I tried to like your post, because it's the very same way I'm feeling, just now, but again I'm out of likes for the day. That really NEEDS to be changed.

Edited by Kay Wolf, 16 November 2011 - 01:39 PM.

#43 jrock

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:42 PM

support with your wallet?!? it's free to play man.

#44 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:48 PM

Damn good Q&A, though I already said that via twitter.

My questions were all about Operation Revival, and as I figured it is way to early for you guys at PGI to be answering them, I figured I would wait for a while. :)

I love how interactive you all are with the community, it means a lot and shows your pure dedication to Mechwarrior and not the all mighty dollar (though of course it takes a close second, as you all need to eat and feed familys')

#45 Sporkosophy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:51 PM

If it has not already been said, a Hunchback with an AC-10 is not a Hunchback at all.

#46 TheRulesLawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:01 PM

So some mixed answers-

Customization- yes. To what extent, we still don't know.
Pinpoint aiming- maybe. Lasers will likely be more accurate than ballistics, we don't know what sort of conditions you'll need to have it happen.

I appreciate the Q&A but its a lot of typically evasive early development non-answers. I guess it would be too much to ask for "This is what we're planning subject to playtesting"

#47 Zendric

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:01 PM

Aww, My Little Pony loves you too, Paul!

Good info though, cleared a few things up.

#48 Tierloc

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • LocationWAR_Homeworld

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:07 PM

View PostKudzu, on 16 November 2011 - 01:36 PM, said:

I guess I'm a bad person for knowing what I like and don't like

I just found it ironic that amidst your bromance you used the same threats to "leave the universe of mw foreva" that xhaleon said was bad form in regards to the pilots who do not favor carrying over the RNG from the TT into the firing solution of the pilot based video game. I wasn't actually addressing any of the content of what you said, since there are already a plethora of threads to discuss the video game you'd like to create.

Rest assured, I'll be voting with my wallet too.

Edited by Tierloc, 16 November 2011 - 08:07 PM.

#49 Hodo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,058 posts
  • LocationArkab

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:44 PM

Unfortunately some of the answers may have just drove me away. I will continue to play my Mechwarrior 1 and continue to hunt for a Emulator of the EA or Kesmai Multiplayer Battletech. As they held the most true to what Battletech means.

#50 Atlas3060

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 661 posts
  • LocationFederated Suns

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:58 PM

Hula Girls, loathing ponies, making sure melee is done right, and hula girls.
Well it is a decent start. :)

#51 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:04 PM

View PostAtlas3060, on 16 November 2011 - 02:58 PM, said:

Hula Girls, loathing ponies, making sure melee is done right, and hula girls.
Well it is a decent start. :)

What more would you like? :D

#52 Belial

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 359 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:06 PM

I like that the Devs brought up forum discussions and mentioned the debate about how laser weapons should work (and even addressed it specifically). We know these guys are paying attention to their community and their project, and it's reassuring.

Gameplay features are something I can always work around. I'm dying for another 'Mech or two to be unveiled! Just throw in the Raven and I'll play scout all day long.

#53 Belial

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 359 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:09 PM

View PostHodo, on 16 November 2011 - 02:44 PM, said:

Unfortunately some of the answers may have just drove me away. I will continue to play my Mechwarrior 1 and continue to hunt for a Emulator of the EA or Kesmai Multiplayer Battletech. As they held the most true to what Battletech means.

Sorry for double post. I'd like to know why? :) Seems like a hasty decision this early on.

#54 S4W4T0

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:20 PM

[NERD ON] Somebody tell Matt Newman the Stock Hunchie has no Autocannon/10.... (You better specify you are in a 4H Hunchback, to save some façade) [NERD OFF]

Great Q&A, also. I'm translating it for some guys in Italy.

#55 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:22 PM

View PostBelial, on 16 November 2011 - 03:06 PM, said:

I like that the Devs brought up forum discussions and mentioned the debate about how laser weapons should work (and even addressed it specifically). We know these guys are paying attention to their community and their project, and it's reassuring.

Gameplay features are something I can always work around. I'm dying for another 'Mech or two to be unveiled! Just throw in the Raven and I'll play scout all day long.

Yes, knowing the name of the next battlemech would be great, but the concepts are made by a community member, so we have to give him some time to draw those things. It's not like he has hundreds of pictures and the actual mech list and he just wants to toy with us. :)
I for instance hope for a Shadow Hawk, because it looks nice, has good firepower and is from my preffered class - mediums, but I doubt it will be implemented.

#56 Bryan Ekman

Creative Director

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,106 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:30 PM

View PostTheRulesLawyer, on 16 November 2011 - 02:01 PM, said:

So some mixed answers- Customization- yes. To what extent, we still don't know. Pinpoint aiming- maybe. Lasers will likely be more accurate than ballistics, we don't know what sort of conditions you'll need to have it happen. I appreciate the Q&A but its a lot of typically evasive early development non-answers. I guess it would be too much to ask for "This is what we're planning subject to playtesting"

We have a strict rule about releasing information. If it's not BETA ready, don't say anything.

#57 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:49 PM

View PostBryan Ekman, on 16 November 2011 - 03:30 PM, said:

We have a strict rule about releasing information. If it's not BETA ready, don't say anything.

Don't you have any mech that will make it to the game 100%, except those three already mentioned? I understand that you can't talk about balance, gameplay and things like that, though.After all you don't even know if it won't turn into RTS game after some time (dramatised - happened in Halo). :)

*cough*Will there be a Shadow Hawk*cough*in the game*cough*and what are these*cough*objectives you were*cough*talking about?*cough* :D

Edited by Adridos, 16 November 2011 - 03:50 PM.

#58 TheForce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:49 PM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 16 November 2011 - 10:43 AM, said:

Okay seriously, the topic of pin-point accuracy/concentrated damage is something we are going to have to watch very carefully. There’s no real reason why lasers shouldn’t be pin-point accurate and ballistic shot munitions shouldn’t do area damage. We could go into numerous physics debates discussing how particles (including energy) disseminate over distance but that is not going to be conclusive to balanced gameplay. As for group fire, there’s nothing really wrong with the model and it provides a means of making a MechWarrior® tactically think about what gets fired and when. Needless to say, gameplay tuning will drive how we approach targeting and concentrated/area damage.

I don't like how "there's nothing wrong with the group fire model" because there was something wrong with it in MW2, MW3, and MW4 - group fire made 1 AC20 = 4 medium lasers whic makes AC's useless. I like how "gameplay tuning will drive targeting/concentrated damage."

To answer the distribued vs. non-distribued group fire damage, I think you need to answer this question:

Do you think assault mechs should be able to survive more than 2 or 3 shots to the Center Torso?

Yes - you don't want group fire and concentrated damage/
No - you want group fire and concentrated damage.

Edited by TheForce, 16 November 2011 - 03:53 PM.

#59 MattNeutron

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:05 PM

View PostSporkosophy, on 16 November 2011 - 01:51 PM, said:

If it has not already been said, a Hunchback with an AC-10 is not a Hunchback at all.

View PostS4W4T0, on 16 November 2011 - 03:20 PM, said:

[NERD ON] Somebody tell Matt Newman the Stock Hunchie has no Autocannon/10.... (You better specify you are in a 4H Hunchback, to save some façade) [NERD OFF] Great Q&A, also. I'm translating it for some guys in Italy.

I don't know this Matt Newman character but he sounds very handsome. And in his defense perhaps he switched out the AC-20 on his for an AC-10 in order to ......... Aw who am I kidding! I think Paul changed it to AC-10 in order to make me...I mean HIM look crazy!

Also I think if you read the interview now the typo is fixed!

#60 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:09 PM

One update for you all. Matt N has been heavily sedated and is now drooling on himself over in the corner.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users