Turrets do!

#102 Almond Brown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:28 AM

View PostKhobai, on 03 April 2014 - 09:28 AM, said:

And youre missing the point. The point is the game should not require you to join a premade to experience "deeper play"

Solo player should get the same advantages as premades. That means in game voice and being able to see their allies loadouts.

Comms I will give you, but what reason do you have to need to see my Mechs load-out? Assuming it would happen after we load in, it doesn't really matter then does it, because it can't be changed for that Match anyways.

If what you really want is to be able to grief others, over in game-comms, about what a shitty build I currently have, well then, I prefer you not get that chance.

Edited by Almond Brown, 03 April 2014 - 10:46 AM.

#103 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:29 AM

But Solo Playes won't use the advantages groups use. The most powerful advantage is we game together for days on end, and we know how to cover each others weak spots!

How do you know? In fact I would be willing to bet if a commander role was an actual thing and you could communicate with your team better... they would listen.

Comms I will give you, but what reason do you have to need to see my Mechs load-out?

Do you really need to ask? Its important to know your teams strengths and weaknesses so you can compensate for that with strategy/tactics. If your team is mostly long range support youre going to play differently than if your team is mostly brawlers. The problem is right now we dont know the composition of our teams so we often make assumptions that end up being wrong, just because its ridiculous to have to visually inspect every mech on your team to see their loadout.

Edited by Khobai, 03 April 2014 - 10:35 AM.

#104 -Natural Selection-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,631 posts
  • Locationdirty south

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:30 AM

View PostLastPaladin, on 03 April 2014 - 10:21 AM, said:

Yes, this is the main reason I refuse all offers to join groups. Until there are in-game comms for PUGs, I would feel dirty doing so.

why? why? why? why? This is how damn near every mp game has done it since its advent. And I swear don't mention a word about consoles. There is not a sane person alive who enjoys the content of the comms on those blenders (except the trolls). Outside comms is NOTHING new to online gaming, and the blender-box 360 and crap-stations are the only reasons why these problems have been brought here.

Educate the players, don't dumb down the game!

#105 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:31 AM

View PostKhobai, on 03 April 2014 - 10:29 AM, said:

How do you know? In fact I would be willing to bet if a commander role was an actual thing and you could communicate with your team better... they would listen.

Although true in some sense, "any fool" can become commander.... especially with the commander bug.

#106 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:32 AM

But you drop with me one time do you know what my normal strategy is? Do you know if I am a strong Sniper but weak Brawler? Teams that drop together often will have that advantage, they will have already worked out how to cover that weak point. PUGs on Comms will still be behind the curve.

#107 Trauglodyte

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:36 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 03 April 2014 - 10:31 AM, said:

Although true in some sense, "any fool" can become commander.... especially with the commander bug.

Speaking of which, has anyone else noticed that you randomly get company or lance command in a game even though you or nobody else ever picked it? Starting to wonder if PGI didn't implement a lil Blizzard action from WOW where your number of games played means that you automatically get lead if you're the top dog.

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 03 April 2014 - 10:32 AM, said:

But you drop with me one time do you know what my normal strategy is? Do you know if I am a strong Sniper but weak Brawler? Teams that drop together often will have that advantage, they will have already worked out how to cover that weak point. PUGs on Comms will still be behind the curve.

Most of my clan mates don't drive the same thing every game so I would venture that, outside of the groups that stick to the same 1 or 2 mechs, nobody has any idea what anyone is good at in any mech. I prefer the Medium mech recon/fire support role. That is why I love my bugs, Hunchy, Griffin, and Wolverine. I'm still struggling with my Shawk as it just feels clunky and the Centurion is just a land locked Wolverine (yuck). I'm pretty good in my Firebrand and I can be deadly in my Victor, even post change for the plethora of whiners out there. But, if there is one trait that stays with me from game to game, I'm much better pushing the edges and looking at what is out there as opposed to bull rushing into the fray and getting the job done or raining pain from range.

The problem that I run into is, because of this and not really knowing the tendancies of even my clan mates at times, that I get into trouble by not being covered. If the people that I run with on a nightly basis can't cover my vectors or I push out too far away from them, which does happen, how can I expect PUGs to do that for me? Most of them are apt to chase a Spider to doom's day and about all of them have ADD.

Edited by Trauglodyte, 03 April 2014 - 10:42 AM.

#108 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:37 AM

is this New? Cause I have never had command to my relief.

#109 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:37 AM

View PostTrauglodyte, on 03 April 2014 - 10:36 AM, said:

Speaking of which, has anyone else noticed that you randomly get company or lance command in a game even though you or nobody else ever picked it? Starting to wonder if PGI didn't implement a lil Blizzard action from WOW where your number of games played means that you automatically get lead if you're the top dog.

IIRC, it happens when the "assigned JJ button" is pushed often.

It's less to do with Elo/cred/k-d/whatever random reasoning, but more to do with keyboard input buggery.

Edited by Deathlike, 03 April 2014 - 10:38 AM.

#110 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:39 AM

But you drop with me one time do you know what my normal strategy is? Do you know if I am a strong Sniper but weak Brawler?

You could communicate it over VOIP. Its also why ELO should be public (maybe not your actual ELO but at the very least a derived stat should be public) The game should tell you if someone is a strong or weak player. Additionally the game should tell you someones loadout so you know if theyre a sniper or a brawler. This is all information that exists that were simply not given.

Thats how it should be. The most experienced player should get commander and if he doesnt want it he can abdicate it to someone else. And when you command you should get a "command rating" which is basically just the percentage of games youve won while commanding. And that should be a public rating. So players on your team will know who the best player suited to be commander is. Also you probably need some kindve voting system to replace the commander to prevent players from trolling the commander spot.

Edited by Khobai, 03 April 2014 - 10:43 AM.

#111 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:40 AM

View PostAmsro, on 03 April 2014 - 09:36 AM, said:

Your post if full of assumptions and ghost stories. The Pugs are the usual Stompers. Only when 2 "4 mans" are on either side can you see a full on lance smash.

I can understand your logic to an extent and as such I would advocate a Solo Only que as well as a Team of Any size que.

The simple metric will avoid any solo claims of pug stomping while allowing people to play together and proud solo players to drop in to "test their might".

All parties would be satisfied. I don't see how this simple idea has escaped PGI.

And what do you tell the Solo queue droppers who return to the Forums and complain that apparently 3 of the other Teams Solo's looked like they were cooperating, then managed to kill off 75% of the other Solo Team, thus the PUG Boogieman is revived and another Loop of the fictional Mulberry Bush is completed.

There is no such thing as a "Solo Only" queue when the premise it is to based on is "I will Win" a lot, if the other Team members all run around like chickens without their heads, otherwise the "other team" is obviously working together and thus "cheating" us out of our "win"

When the reason given for why people lose, is always because it was someone or something "other than themselves" the Boogieman will always exist Solo queue or no, because the Boogieman is real you know...

#112 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:41 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 03 April 2014 - 10:37 AM, said:

It's less to do with Elo/cred/k-d/whatever random reasoning, but more to do with keyboard input buggery.

So which key o I avoid to not announce
Posted Image

#113 Trauglodyte

• 4,373 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:44 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 03 April 2014 - 10:37 AM, said:

Interesting. I thought that I was cool or something. Once again, Deathlike rains on my parade. You're like a walking, talking, typing smog cloud bud! :lol:

#114 LastPaladin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 596 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:45 AM

View PostDozier, on 03 April 2014 - 10:30 AM, said:

why? why? why? why?

Well, I said why... I would feel dirty doing it. I don't care what other games do, especially if I am not playing them. I'm playing here, and by joining a group, and then dropping in a mixed q with players who are handicapped, I would feel I took an unfair advantage, so I'm not going to do it. If you don't feel the same way, then go have fun with your group, I'm not stopping ya.

#115 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:46 AM

Do you really need to ask? Its important to know your teams strengths and weaknesses so you can compensate for that with strategy/tactics. If your team is mostly long range support youre going to play differently than if your team is mostly brawlers. The problem is right now we dont know the composition of our teams so we often make assumptions that end up being wrong, just because its ridiculous to have to visually inspect every mech on your team to see their loadout.

Then just ask via Chat... :lol:

Edited by Almond Brown, 03 April 2014 - 10:50 AM.

#116 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:47 AM

View PostLastPaladin, on 03 April 2014 - 10:45 AM, said:

Well, I said why... I would feel dirty doing it. I don't care what other games do, especially if I am not playing them. I'm playing here, and by joining a group, and then dropping in a mixed q with players who are handicapped, I would feel I took an unfair advantage, so I'm not going to do it. If you don't feel the same way, then go have fun with your group, I'm not stopping ya.

That is a fair answer Paladin.

#117 Disapirro

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 254 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:47 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 03 April 2014 - 09:36 AM, said:

having in game VoIP and being able to see their loadouts will still not match a true teams ability to know their team mates mannerisms and fighting style without the effort of dropping with them game after game after game after Beers!

Still does not excuse not giving pugs easier access to in game comms.

#118 -Natural Selection-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,631 posts
  • Locationdirty south

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:48 AM

here comes another cuss word.. World of Warcraft

Funny how one of the highest grossing, most online at one time games the requires the MOST communication of just about any game there is made it so long without comms in game. Because (most)people are smarter than rocks and evolved.

#119 Trauglodyte

• 4,373 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:49 AM

View PostDozier, on 03 April 2014 - 10:48 AM, said:

here comes another cuss word.. World of Warcraft

Funny how one of the highest grossing, most online at one time games the requires the MOST communication of just about any game there is made it so long without comms in game. Because (most)people are smarter than rocks and evolved.

VOIP was added in Fall before the Deathwing expansion was released. Nobody used it, though, because guilds all had their own vent, TS, mumble servers.

#120 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:50 AM

The just ask via Chat...

Because its absurd having 12 people type their loadouts in the chat. Especially without the ability to scroll up or see a chat log. You shouldnt have to ask for information that should be given to you freely.

Dunno what youre talking about. Every guild on WoW uses teamspeak/ventilo/mumble. Also groups with VOIP didnt have a huge advantage over solo players without VOIP. Mainly because there were other ways to communicate and you had time to type in between fights. You dont have those options in MWO. You cant just ask the enemy team to stop attacking you while you type something to your teammates.

Edited by Khobai, 03 April 2014 - 10:56 AM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users