BattleMechs

62 replies to this topic

#21 Foxfire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:24 AM

I will say that the most effective build that I found that isn't a troll build is 4X MG's with 2x ammo, 2x ASRM 4's with 2 tons ammo, and the rest stock.

#22 Fang01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 993 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:28 AM

View PostNRP, on 05 April 2014 - 06:57 AM, said:

I have no doubt people are over-reacting due to the lack of energy points, just like they poo-pooed the Oxide when it came out. Time will tell, I guess. The Oxide turned out ok in my experience.

I'll probably get it someday. Just not really interested at the moment. I really want a fargon King Crab.

Edit:
For those that run SRMs, is Artemis worth the tonnage? I'm thinking accuracy would be critical for a hit and run mech, but then again MGs aren't really conducive to a hit and run play style. What do you guys think?

Chassis dependant. For huginn I say no. The launchers are tightly mounted together against the hull and Artemis offered no appreciable improvement on missile grouping. Save your tons for ammo

#23 Foxfire

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:35 AM

View PostKhajja nar Jatargk, on 05 April 2014 - 09:28 AM, said:

Chassis dependant. For huginn I say no. The launchers are tightly mounted together against the hull and Artemis offered no appreciable improvement on missile grouping. Save your tons for ammo

Having experimented with it specifically with the Huginn.. I say yes.. Sure, the grouping of the weapons are tight but the actual missiles are still spread. You are more ammo efficient spending the 2 tons(and can do concentrated damage faster) than you would be loading up on ammo for normal SRM's. In fact, I've been finding that I am much more effective with 2x ASRM4's than 2x SRM6's.

#24 Flyby215

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 888 posts
  • LocationThunder Bay

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:26 AM

View PostFoxfire, on 05 April 2014 - 09:35 AM, said:

Having experimented with it specifically with the Huginn.. I say yes.. Sure, the grouping of the weapons are tight but the actual missiles are still spread. You are more ammo efficient spending the 2 tons(and can do concentrated damage faster) than you would be loading up on ammo for normal SRM's. In fact, I've been finding that I am much more effective with 2x ASRM4's than 2x SRM6's.

I'm having a really tough time trying to figure out if Artemis is worth it or not.

Since SRMs are pretty tough to aim, I usually only fire at point blank when I am absolutely certain of a hit, so I can't imagine the missiles spreading out too much in such a case, and it allows me to get more missiles out the door in a shorter timespan.

Similarly, I don't really know how much to lead my machine guns in order to pinpoint a spot on the enemy, so if my MGs are inadvertently taking out a shoulder rather than a CT, more spread on the SRMs will likely hit both the softened shoulder and the CT which I was actually aiming for.

Might be lack of skill, or different playstyle. I'll try the ASRM4s today and see if I notice any improvement.

Edited by Flyby215, 05 April 2014 - 10:26 AM.

#25 Foxfire

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:41 AM

What Artimis allows you to do is have more reliable concentration of damage on a spot. It is easy to hit with an SRM 6.. but you are likely to spread the damage across the torso if you hit the front or back. Where as, within close range conditions, an ASRM will be much more likely to have the majority of the hits land on one area.

SRM and A-SRM's are downright deadly if you can set up point blank but A-SRM's are more reliable from point blank to typical fighting distances.

#26 Foxfire

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 04:49 PM

Since switching to the two A-SRM4 with 2 tons, 4x MG's with 2 tons of ammo, and standard loadout otherwise... I've been able to claw my way to a positive k/d ratio with this mech.

I've been finding that, as I mentioned earlier, it is a matter of when I commit to the fight... and that I'll either die fast or get 3-5 kills in a match with ~500 damage.

#27 Fang01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 993 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:31 PM

Posted Image

#28 Roland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:35 PM

View PostSoulscour, on 04 April 2014 - 03:07 AM, said:

What you really need is a good ol command console. All the pros use it.

It would compliment the machine gun "upgrade" modules he is running.

#29 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:47 PM

View PostKhajja nar Jatargk, on 05 April 2014 - 05:53 AM, said:

Could always go best of both worlds and mount a 6 and a 4. Don't forget that 4s have a faster cycle time

yeah, but I find I live a lot longer if I shoot and scoot, so the recycle time and DPS aren't that important to me. Really the only negative for me on the srm6 is the ammo endurance.

View PostFlyby215, on 05 April 2014 - 10:26 AM, said:

I'm having a really tough time trying to figure out if Artemis is worth it or not.

Since SRMs are pretty tough to aim, I usually only fire at point blank when I am absolutely certain of a hit, so I can't imagine the missiles spreading out too much in such a case, and it allows me to get more missiles out the door in a shorter timespan.

Similarly, I don't really know how much to lead my machine guns in order to pinpoint a spot on the enemy, so if my MGs are inadvertently taking out a shoulder rather than a CT, more spread on the SRMs will likely hit both the softened shoulder and the CT which I was actually aiming for.

Might be lack of skill, or different playstyle. I'll try the ASRM4s today and see if I notice any improvement.

MG are hitscan, so unless you have lag issues, where you point is (mostly) where you hit. They do have that CoF too, which can spread stuff pretty significantly at any range.

View PostKhajja nar Jatargk, on 06 April 2014 - 03:31 PM, said:

Posted Image

....well

I guess it ain't what you call "scientific, laboratory certified" proof, but when someone is getting that consistent of results, I figure I'm gonna listen to them.

what is your exact loadout, again?

#30 Selbatrim

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 140 posts
  • LocationFRR

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:57 PM

I've not lost a 1 vs 1 duel with another light yet.

4mgs 2 tons ammo, 2 srm6 3 tons ammo. Can't wait till the efficiencies are unlocked! I think the huginn works as long as you play intelligently. Best match for me was 4 kills, 6 assists w 440 dam. positive k/d ratio.

Long live Huginn!

*edited for typos*

Edited by Selbatrim, 09 April 2014 - 04:26 AM.

#31 Fang01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 993 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 06 April 2014 - 04:04 PM

Something along the lines of this:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9907d2769d2b044
*I do NOT share armor stats, You balance those as necessary.

#32 Roland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 04:08 PM

Heh, the enemy team had 6 mechs that did less than 100 damage, including 4 assault mechs.

#33 Fang01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 993 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 06 April 2014 - 04:20 PM

Never claimed they were great, I was simply backing up the smack I talked previously about this being a 4 digit capable build ;)

#34 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:06 PM

View PostRoland, on 06 April 2014 - 04:08 PM, said:

Heh, the enemy team had 6 mechs that did less than 100 damage, including 4 assault mechs.

Heh, 90% of the time when a person cracks 4 digits, the other team has plenty of bads. Usually your own team needs it's fair share too, or they will be laying out too much damage and kills for you to do it.

Show me the match where both sides have multiple 1000 + damage mechs, and no tu.rds, and I'll show you the perfect game.

#35 ApolloKaras

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:01 PM

View PostSelbatrim, on 06 April 2014 - 03:57 PM, said:

I've not lost a 1 vs 1 duel with anothert light yet.

4mgs 2 tons ammo, 2 srm6 3 tons ammo. Can't wait till the efficiencies are unlocked! 8 think hte huginn works as long as you play intelligently. Best match for me was 4 kills, 6 assists w 440 dam. positive k/d ratio.

long live Huginn

2 Pilots of equal skill. You can put that other pilot in a firestarter, 3L or 4X Raven, Jenner, and its going to smoke that Huginn

#36 Selbatrim

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 140 posts
  • LocationFRR

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:13 PM

While i appreciate the compliment i don't think i am that good a pilot. probably above average but the fact that the hugin cannot overheat makes it quite hard to get caught off guard. a couple of good srm hits and most run, overheat or just keel over. its not perfect but it is not a bad design. i'll post if i start getting smoked for a dose of humble pie. promise.

#37 Fang01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 993 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:15 PM

Huginn fits right in with a fast lance of Embers...Total beautiful chaos

#38 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:20 PM

View PostKhajja nar Jatargk, on 07 April 2014 - 10:15 PM, said:

Huginn fits right in with a fast lance of Embers...Total beautiful chaos

well, be happy to run my ember as wing to your Huginn any day! (I still am not giving up on Huginn, but I am WAY better in my Ember)

#39 Fang01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 993 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:48 PM

Posted Image
And backed it up ;)

This baby is worth every penny

#40 Selbatrim

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 140 posts
  • LocationFRR

Posted 09 April 2014 - 02:27 AM

The story so far:

33 Matches in the Huginn
21 Wins/12 Losses
37 Kills/24 Deaths

And this match which I am still grinning about. So close to that 8th kill too...

Posted Image

Edited by Selbatrim, 09 April 2014 - 04:24 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users