Posted 09 April 2014 - 03:49 AM

I always wind up calling this mech the huggles

#42 Foxfire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 01:33 PM

I think that, so far, it is the frantic nature of this mech that I've really been enjoying.

#43 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:04 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 04 April 2014 - 06:04 AM, said:

(...) until the OpFor starts approaching CGL, and they can be effective.

Spoke like a true Mechwarrior!

#44 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:55 AM

View PostOdanan, on 10 April 2014 - 01:04 AM, said:

Spoke like a true Mechwarrior!

a dyslexic one, unfortunately, as that should have been CLG (Combat Loss Grouping)

#45 -Muta-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 749 posts
  • Locationstill remains a mistery.

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:31 AM

View PostKhajja nar Jatargk, on 06 April 2014 - 03:31 PM, said:

Posted Image

What build did you use?

Arti or Air stike o plain damage?

#46 -Muta-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 749 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:00 PM

View PostSelbatrim, on 06 April 2014 - 03:57 PM, said:

I've not lost a 1 vs 1 duel with another light yet.

Because you haven't seen me yet :unsure:

#47 jaxjace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 987 posts
  • LocationIn orbit around your world

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:17 PM

My question is is it worth it, I already have the oxide and I consistantly **** other light mechs, I however bought it by accident intending to buy the huggin because I love ravens,

Toe to toe, huggin V oxide who comes out on top with equal skilled pilots.

#48 Foxfire

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:50 PM

Toe to Toe... the Oxide will(caveat being that the oxide is built with 4x SSRM's).

The Huginn really isn't for Light v Light battle. It is really suited for the pure striker and vulture roles.

It is really a different animal compared to other lights, including heroes.

*edits to add*

For example, I can maul a heavy/assault's back in a Huginn much faster than an Oxide, since MG's are much better once armor is stripped.

Edited by Foxfire, 18 April 2014 - 05:54 PM.

#49 RealityCube

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 127 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:23 PM

So I'm considering purchasing the Huginn, however the Raven hitboxes are still not fixed and this is a major issue. What are some pro's about the Huginn?

#50 Foxfire

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:38 PM

View PostCyner, on 18 April 2014 - 06:23 PM, said:

So I'm considering purchasing the Huginn, however the Raven hitboxes are still not fixed and this is a major issue. What are some pro's about the Huginn?

IF you are able to be patient and want until later in the match to commit to fighting, it can be a tide turner by exploiting weaknesses in damaged mechs(or being able to rip apart the back of mechs if youc an get behind them and stay behind them).

Essentially, if you take the 4x.. remove a bit of general purpose(by losing the energy weapons) but adding more ability to spike damage(extra usable missile slot) and more MG's for attacking enemies with stripped armor.. that shoud give you a better idea of what you can do with it. The extra missile slot, if you fall into the ping range that can make use of it(I get a pretty good hit rate now at ~60 ping), really gives you the ability to open up armor for your MG's to go to town on.

It really is a mech that, if you commit too early, you will not do much.. but if you commit at the right time, you'll end up with ~500 damage and 4-5 kills.

#51 RealityCube

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 127 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 02:00 PM

So I was really considering purchasing the Huginn today, but after working in smurfy for a while I can't find a build that I feel would be any sort of successful on the battlefield. I really might as well keep running the 4X. There is nothing good or special about the Huginn aside from the camo. Heck you can't even mount more than 2 JJ's. Any good configs out there?

#52 Faith McCarron

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 03:08 PM

I also love the Huggin. I've never dropped in one, but I love it all the same. They tend to be one of the crunchier light mechs to pop over a ridge and get alpha'd to death.

#53 Foxfire

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:57 PM

Honestly, it all comes down to how good you are with SRM's. If you are a decent shot with SRM's and fall within the ping range where SRM's work the most.. then it can be a very fun mech.

If you aren't good with SRM's, or you fall outside the band(too low or too high), then it really won't give you anything you can't do with the 4x.

The 4x will have better across the board performance because it's energy slots give it better mid range umph, thus giving usability across late early game and onwards(where the Huginn is really limited to mid game onward).

That said.. I do enjoy the challenge and do enjoy how much more frantic that the Huginn can feel over other Ravens due specifically to the line it has to walk.

Are there better Ravens? Yes. Are there more fun Ravens? That entirely depends on your playstyle.

Edited by Foxfire, 20 April 2014 - 04:39 AM.

#54 Butane9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:56 PM

The Huginn seems like a good anti-assault/heavy light similar to the Oxide.

#55 RealityCube

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 127 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:53 PM

View PostButane9000, on 19 April 2014 - 08:56 PM, said:

The Huginn seems like a good anti-assault/heavy light similar to the Oxide.

what makes it anti-assault? seems like my 2x ERLL and TAG on my 3L make a much better anti-assault Raven.

#56 Faith McCarron

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:19 AM

Agreed. I find it one of the WORST anti-assault lights out there. I like nothing better than to have a Huggin try to annoy me in my 733C or DS.

#57 Foxfire

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:55 AM

View PostCyner, on 19 April 2014 - 09:53 PM, said:

what makes it anti-assault? seems like my 2x ERLL and TAG on my 3L make a much better anti-assault Raven.

The speed at which you can maul back armor when you play it as a striker. Compared to all other Ravens, the 3L will always be inherently superior. It really comes down to what playstyle that you enjoy. If you don't like getting up close and personal, then it is definitely not the mech for you, since the mech itself doesn't offer any longrange options that other mechs couldn't do better.

View PostFaith McCarron, on 20 April 2014 - 04:19 AM, said:

Agreed. I find it one of the WORST anti-assault lights out there. I like nothing better than to have a Huggin try to annoy me in my 733C or DS.

You aren't facing quality light pilots then.

#58 Butane9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 20 April 2014 - 05:27 AM

View PostCyner, on 19 April 2014 - 09:53 PM, said:

For me I've seen a huge buff to SRMs. So taking out assaults and heavies has become much easier. But the fact that heavies and assaults are much bigger they are easier to hit with machine guns so keeping an eye out and strafing/circling larger opponents with machine guns on stripped armor sections is easier and more effective.

This is probably what I would run if I owned the Huginn.

#59 RealityCube

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 127 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 02:20 PM

So I ended up getting the Huginn and tested it out in a bunch of matches. It's not as versatile as I'd like but in it's role the Huginn is very good and fun. I'm running the XL280, 3 MG's with a ton of ammo, 2 SRM6's with 3 tons of ammo, and 2 JJ's.

Had an amusing situation where me and another light legged each other at the same time. We were in very close range and I killed him quickly with the SRM's.

#60 -Muta-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 749 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:22 PM

View PostDONTOR, on 04 April 2014 - 12:56 PM, said:

While most of this is true, if you have streaks it can easily beat any light other than an oxcide.

Yup OXIDE > Any other light mech

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users