• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationA hop, skip and jump from Terra

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:56 AM

View Postverybad, on 30 April 2014 - 09:24 AM, said:

Why should we be accepting of one of the most iconic mechs in the game EVER look poorly designed? It doesn't look good for a MadCat. It's recognizable, but it's certainly not an exciting version of it.

Just the fact that it's a MadCat isn't enough to celebrate. This is one of the MUST get right units in the the history of the game, and this version is very *meh* The design is the problem. I'm sure it will work well in the game, it's just not aesthetically pleasing to a lot of people. We've said why (legs look too big is one of the most mentioned)

Why should I spend as much on a single unit of content (that I won't even see most of the time using it) that I can buy an entire game with unless that content is DAMNNNED well done?

It's not being a hater, it's being a consumer telling the producer what we want if they're to get our money.

I am not opposed to skinnier legs, but that's about the only thing I agree with the "haters" on, and it is not because I dislike the legs (I don't, I think they look good), but because it is the only area where I think they could improve on the design without affecting gameplay.

I think the design is getting a LOT of unneeded hate, when the proposed changes everyone keeps posting are very, very minor adjustments. They then justify it in there post by saying, "if they just made this minor change, it would be perfect". I know you have to make the wheel squeak loud to get a reaction, but you aren't getting a reaction because the proposed changes just aren't worth PGIs time because they are so minor.

#842 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:27 AM

Absolutely Cimarb. As I said in the Clan section, it is unfair degree of hate.  The overall mech design is solid.  The follow through is solid.  The quality is solid.  Calling it crap because it has slightly thicker legs than a PORTION of the community likes is unfair and absolutely wrong to Alex and the modelers.  So much so, it actually sickens me.

You dislike the legs? That is fine and you can complain about that, but there is ZERO reason to utterly trash the effort put into the mech or the otherwise solid design in it.  ESPECIALLY as it is not a homogeneous opinion across the community.  SOME hate it.  SOME love it.  SOME could not care less.

I call that pretty successful considering this is a matter of aesthetics. Have some respect.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 30 April 2014 - 11:36 AM.

#843 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:45 AM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 30 April 2014 - 11:27 AM, said:

Absolutely Cimarb. As I said in the Clan section, it is unfair degree of hate.  The overall mech design is solid.  The follow through is solid.  The quality is solid.  Calling it crap because it has slightly thicker legs than a PORTION of the community likes is unfair and absolutely wrong to Alex and the modelers.  So much so, it actually sickens me.

You dislike the legs? That is fine and you can complain about that, but there is ZERO reason to utterly trash the effort put into the mech or the otherwise solid design in it.  ESPECIALLY as it is not a homogeneous opinion across the community.  SOME hate it.  SOME love it.  SOME could not care less.

I call that pretty successful considering this is a matter of aesthetics. Have some respect.

This.

Honestly, I feel the thicker legs fit the MWO aesthetic quite well, and keep it looking like a massive war machine, and work fine. I'd like them thinner too, but leg thickness hardly warrants such emotion.

This was inevitable though, as the Timber wolf/Madcat is so iconic, and had to be different than it was (different art styles, if nothing else), some would like it, some would dislike it... And because so many people on the internet are incapable of moderation, any little thing they don't like IS A SLAP IN THE FACE AND UTTER GARBAGE.

Relax folks. It may not be exactly what you personally imagined, but its certainly not ugly either.

#844 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 30 April 2014 - 02:04 PM

View PostCimarb, on 30 April 2014 - 10:56 AM, said:

I think the design is getting a LOT of unneeded hate, when the proposed changes everyone keeps posting are very, very minor adjustments.

What you are referring to as "hate", is probably just "passion".

#845 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 30 April 2014 - 03:11 PM

View PostMystere, on 30 April 2014 - 02:04 PM, said:

What you are referring to as "hate", is probably just "passion".
Then those "passionate" people should learn o better communicate their passion, rather than looking like *******.

I don't know when it happened, when people started feeling it was OK to be ******* because they were passionate. You can be passionate and not lash out.

Edited by Wintersdark, 30 April 2014 - 03:13 PM.

#846 verybad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 03:42 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 30 April 2014 - 03:11 PM, said:

Then those "passionate" people should learn o better communicate their passion, rather than looking like *******.

I don't know when it happened, when people started feeling it was OK to be ******* because they were passionate. You can be passionate and not lash out.

Again, a lot of us are just sayign that we think it's a poor looking version of the MadCat. We're mentioning the problems we see with it, and saying that the design is poor enough (in our opinion) that we will not be spending our money on it.

Shouldn't companies want too know what their customers want?

The dev's are grownups, they can take a little criticism. Now are some people probably being a bit ruder than they need to be? Yes, on both sides of this however.

#847 Cimarb

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 04:37 PM

View Postverybad, on 30 April 2014 - 03:42 PM, said:

Again, a lot of us are just sayign that we think it's a poor looking version of the MadCat. We're mentioning the problems we see with it, and saying that the design is poor enough (in our opinion) that we will not be spending our money on it.

Shouldn't companies want too know what their customers want?

The dev's are grownups, they can take a little criticism. Now are some people probably being a bit ruder than they need to be? Yes, on both sides of this however.

That is what Winters is talking about, though. Be critical of it all you want, but when you start throwing insults and saying they suck, you are not being critical, you're being a jerk. (You as in the person saying it, not you as in verybad)

#848 DirePhoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,565 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:50 PM

View Postverybad, on 30 April 2014 - 09:24 AM, said:

Why should we be accepting of one of the most iconic mechs in the game EVER look poorly designed? It doesn't look good for a MadCat. It's recognizable, but it's certainly not an exciting version of it.

IMO it was the original TRO drawings of the MadCat (and all the other invasion omnis) that were poorly designed. WTF pipe cleaner noodle arms that can't possibly support the weight of those forearms? FAIL. Legs that can't possibly move on more than one axis? FAIL. Leg joints that should snap at the "knees" from trying to support the rest of its mass through that lopsided non-inline single-axis joint (technically in digigrade legs those should really be ankles) - FAIL. The symmetrical drawing doesn't even represent its nonsymetrical stats - FAIL AGAIN. I think MWO's MadCat looks a lot more like a 75 ton war machine than the original ever did.

#849 Cimarb

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:00 PM

View PostDirePhoenix, on 30 April 2014 - 06:50 PM, said:

IMO it was the original TRO drawings of the MadCat (and all the other invasion omnis) that were poorly designed. WTF pipe cleaner noodle arms that can't possibly support the weight of those forearms? FAIL. Legs that can't possibly move on more than one axis? FAIL. Leg joints that should snap at the "knees" from trying to support the rest of its mass through that lopsided non-inline single-axis joint (technically in digigrade legs those should really be ankles) - FAIL. The symmetrical drawing doesn't even represent its nonsymetrical stats - FAIL AGAIN. I think MWO's MadCat looks a lot more like a 75 ton war machine than the original ever did.

Exactly. I want a War Machine, not a War of the Worlds machine.

#850 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:18 PM

It doesn't matter anyway because the haters are totally wrong. The Timber Wolf looks badass as is.

Haters are gonna hate. Everyone knows it. That's why they are irrelevant, regardless of their noise level.

#851 l33tworks

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,275 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:44 PM

guys guys guys. Yes the its true the legs are HUGE and the torso is tiny but the reason for this is to spread the damage out by making the legs soak up more damage and torso less. 95% of the time the torso gets targeted and hit most and this is what mechs die of. Spreading out damage means this is balanced out toward a total damage soak the timberwolf will live longer be a "hardier" and more effective mech than its stats would have you believe. PGI obviously don't want mechs that will generate them revenue to "suck".

Not that there's anything wrong with that. :)

Edited by l33tworks, 30 April 2014 - 07:47 PM.

#852 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:16 PM

big legs and tiny torso mean they dont need to create seperate hit boxes for the missile racks to keep the mech viable I suppose. Personally im waiting for screenies of warhawk, nova and summoner.

#853 Trystan Thorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 299 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:31 PM

View PostPsycho Farmer, on 30 April 2014 - 09:23 AM, said:

Sorry, you misunderstood me. I should have been clearer.
I would have liked to see a screenshots of the Mad Cat that people will get who pre-order it.
The screenshots there are just the standard variants we will be able to get with C-Bills later.

More screenshots of this one below, with the rounded legs and the metal rails on the shoulders:
Posted Image

Against my better judgement, I'm still considering to get maybe one Clan Mech. :angry:

EDIT:
I think I'm with the minority here, but I really do like the PGI Timber Wolf. I have always been someone who preferred realism over the original design (I like realism even in SciFi). So while I always liked the Timber Wolf, I actually always thought that its arms and legs where too thin on the original design. (one well place small laser hit and bye bye arm :))
This is the first Timber Wolf that looks realistic in a way. It's actually the nicest looking Timber Wolf for me so far.

Edited by Trystan Thorne, 30 April 2014 - 11:38 PM.

#854 DirePhoenix

• 1,565 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 01 May 2014 - 12:11 PM

View PostTrystan Thorne, on 30 April 2014 - 11:31 PM, said:

Sorry, you misunderstood me. I should have been clearer.
I would have liked to see a screenshots of the Mad Cat that people will get who pre-order it.
The screenshots there are just the standard variants we will be able to get with C-Bills later.

More screenshots of this one below, with the rounded legs and the metal rails on the shoulders:
Posted Image

Against my better judgement, I'm still considering to get maybe one Clan Mech. :P

EDIT:
I think I'm with the minority here, but I really do like the PGI Timber Wolf. I have always been someone who preferred realism over the original design (I like realism even in SciFi). So while I always liked the Timber Wolf, I actually always thought that its arms and legs where too thin on the original design. (one well place small laser hit and bye bye arm :))
This is the first Timber Wolf that looks realistic in a way. It's actually the nicest looking Timber Wolf for me so far.

Imagine this but with a regular paint job instead of gold. This is the special pre-order geometry.

Posted Image

EDIT: in full disclosure, despite my abhorrence of everything the Clans represent to the BattleTech franchise, I bought a MadCat a-la-carte pack yesterday. It's probably the closest I will ever get to a Marauder in this game since PGI apparently refuses to design their own or make a design "roughly based on" the one Catalyst/Topps has already been using. I lament that I will probably not get to use it while representing or fighting for the Federated Suns, but I still had to have it.

Edited by DirePhoenix, 01 May 2014 - 12:26 PM.

#855 Corbenik

• The Fallen
  • The Fallen
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 12:28 PM

View PostCimarb, on 30 April 2014 - 07:00 PM, said:

Exactly. I want a War Machine, not a War of the Worlds machine.

that made me lol,and yes those legs imo are sexy some will love it other will hate it, we cant all get what we want. Since we all have different taste.

#856 Gryphorim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 382 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 12:33 PM

"It's probably the closest I will ever get to a Marauder in this game."

Yep, and with at least 1 ballistic in side torso, plus 2x energy in each arm....
I just hope the missile banks disappear if missile weapons removed.

#857 Ryoken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 744 posts
  • LocationEuropa, Terra

Posted 01 May 2014 - 12:43 PM

View PostDirePhoenix, on 01 May 2014 - 12:11 PM, said:

Imagine this but with a regular paint job instead of gold. This is the special pre-order geometry.

Posted Image

EDIT: in full disclosure, despite my abhorrence of everything the Clans represent to the BattleTech franchise, I bought a MadCat a-la-carte pack yesterday. It's probably the closest I will ever get to a Marauder in this game since PGI apparently refuses to design their own or make a design "roughly based on" the one Catalyst/Topps has already been using. I lament that I will probably not get to use it while representing or fighting for the Federated Suns, but I still had to have it.

I do LOVE the "special" preorder geometry, which in fact is simply the "correct" geometry for the Timberwolf and would LOVE to put a decent camo on it and get it on all my Timberwolfs.

But there are two big PROBLEMs,
first you only can use this "special" or "correct" geometry on one of the three Timberwolfs you order and;
second, you can not put any camo on any of those mechs with "special" preorder geometry, so you are screwed and down to only one camo!

Is it to much to ask for a Timberwolf with rounded legs and selectable appropiate camo as I read in dozens of sourcebooks and color palettes there in?

Freedom of Geometry, Color & Pattern now!:
http://mwomercs.com/...uyers-bad-idea/

Edited by Ryoken, 01 May 2014 - 12:47 PM.

#858 Reported for Inappropriate Name

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationAmericlap

Posted 01 May 2014 - 12:52 PM

looking forward to cleaning off their absurdly large side torsos and then giving them an ac/20 to the catapult huge cockpit. unless you know, pgi only makes the head hitbox one of the tiny windows. I'm more surprised people are actually shelling 500$ out for these things

#859 DirePhoenix

• 1,565 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 01 May 2014 - 12:59 PM

View PostBattlecruiser, on 01 May 2014 - 12:52 PM, said:

looking forward to cleaning off their absurdly large side torsos and then giving them an ac/20 to the catapult huge cockpit. unless you know, pgi only makes the head hitbox one of the tiny windows. I'm more surprised people are actually shelling 500$ out for these things

I only shelled out $50 for three of "those things". If you're more patient, you won't have to shell out any $ and can shell out instead.

$500 gets you 3 of each clan invasion chassis plus a gold 'mech (25 'mechs in total).

Edited by DirePhoenix, 01 May 2014 - 01:10 PM.

#860 Monsoon

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,631 posts
  • LocationToronto, On aka Kathil

Posted 01 May 2014 - 01:02 PM

View PostGryphorim, on 01 May 2014 - 12:33 PM, said:

"It's probably the closest I will ever get to a Marauder in this game."

Yep, and with at least 1 ballistic in side torso, plus 2x energy in each arm....
I just hope the missile banks disappear if missile weapons removed.

Yup, I was speculating on this a couple of weeks ago. Considering that all the more recent models reflect actual loadouts. So, if I should remove the missiles, I fully expect the MadCat model to drop it's pods, as it does with the Griffin and T-Bolt.

P.S. Sadly the difference will be that adding an auto-cannon isn't likely to give us the over the should look we are all so familiar with.

Edited by Monsoon, 01 May 2014 - 01:07 PM.

37 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 37 guests, 0 anonymous users