129 replies to this topic

#21 Darian DelFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:47 PM

Oxide vs Jenner D 3/4 of my missiles did not register when they hit his torso. :)( We were both going over 140 KPH so sure that had something to do with it

#22 Solahma

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 1,364 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNerv HQ, Tokyo-3

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:58 PM

View PostDarian DelFord, on 15 April 2014 - 01:47 PM, said:

Oxide vs Jenner D 3/4 of my missiles did not register when they hit his torso. :)( We were both going over 140 KPH so sure that had something to do with it

Now when you say they "hit" his torso, did you see impact explosions or did you assume that it hit because you saw you missiles travel to where he was. There should be a huge difference between the two. At least that is what we've been told.

#23 Darian DelFord

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:43 PM

They were at his torso unforunately at that speed I do not stay for the explosions. However with that said... 14 alphas of 3xSRM 4 (Yes I counted) into the back of LRM Boats only (Only thing I fired on Purpose) should have been around 330 damage. Only 127 registered :)(

EDIT::::::::::::::::

YUP Chain fire is the way its got to be, much better damage then. Alpha's still not as effective.

Edited by Darian DelFord, 15 April 2014 - 02:59 PM.

#24 Solahma

• Fury
  • Fury
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:59 PM

another question, were YOU stationary while shooting the SRMs? I've heard that your own movement relative to the target could cause issues and make it extremely difficult to account for.

#25 LawDawg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • LocationOn the ATTACK!!!

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:10 PM

View PostCharons Little Helper, on 15 April 2014 - 01:12 PM, said:

I've noticed that if I'm downloading something in the background

Thx from all of us, Please don't say your under 100 ping while in game still. Just not necessary.

#26 Darian DelFord

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:15 PM

View PostSolahma, on 15 April 2014 - 02:59 PM, said:

another question, were YOU stationary while shooting the SRMs? I've heard that your own movement relative to the target could cause issues and make it extremely difficult to account for.

Most I was moving in on them with a clear LOS and fired under 100 Meters. I still think its very wonky the faster you move and chain vs Alpha fire

#27 Nicholas Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:17 PM

Well I was going to test out SRM's on a new Shadow Hawk till I realized the MC only....I really hate that BS.

#28 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:30 PM

SRMs seem to be hitting better but they still aren't doing nearly enough damage.

There are multiple problems with SRMs, even beyond hit registration:

1. They spread out way too much. Let the pilots use their skill. Put SRM spread mechanics back to the variable in-out-in spread of closed beta.

2. They do too little damage. Pump it up!

3. Splash damage needs to come back.

So what if Splatcats come back. I don't give a damn. I'm sick of the sniper pinpoint meta and it'd be refreshing.

#29 Mazzyplz

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:58 PM

no difference for my srm24. if anything it's a little bit worse, but could also be the exact same %

splatcat was the best OP mech because its deficiencies are so obvious.
the big box ears, the soft squishy body, the massive legs... only jumpjet will help you when brawling with it and having a killer arsenal. i for one welcome our new cat overlords

beats having jagers be the default brawler with cataphract support. flying splatcats is what the game needs

#30 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:27 PM

View PostArtgathan, on 15 April 2014 - 12:57 PM, said:

No improvement for my SRM18 (avg. ping ~20-50ms).

Other players have reported improvements though - someone suggested the improvements may have only affected those with high pings (100ms+).

I so hope it is better with my measly 250 ping.

#31 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:54 PM

SRM/2s got the biggest noticeable change...they're actually pretty viable now. SSRMs are still the go-to vs. lights...but at least now there's a solid place for SRM/2's (besides being in the trash heaps outside of Solaris).

#32 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:19 PM

The improvement is now, you can actually see SRMs whiffing their way through targets instead of having them explode harmlessly when in reality, the game didn't even mark them as hitting.

#33 no one

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 533 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:28 PM

The problems with SRMs -

1 - They suffer from the terrible critical health system. It's the same problem you have with the LB 10-X. They're both terrible crit-seeking weapons, despite the fact that that's what they're meant to be. A SRM6 gets 6 chances to do critical damage to a 'Mech, but each successful crit only does 1/5th the amount of critical damage they should do, compared to an ac/10.

2 - Slow. As. Hell. Mercifully, this will be adjusted soon.

3 - They're completely unguided, so they're acting like rockets instead of missiles. A simple beam riding guidance mechanic would work wonders.

4 - They explode when they hit their range wall instead of their engines smoking out and going ballistic.

Note on point 1 :

Since they doubled armor and structure, the sane way to have handled critical health in MWO would have been to unify all critical damage at (5pts) of critical damage per critical hit, excepting the case of LRMs, which would have (1pt) of critical damage per critical hit. (LRMs are meant to hit in 5 pt clusters in TT.)

If you wanted to adjust those values for rate of fire then you'd divide the base critical value by how many times that weapon fires in a 4 second "turn", rounded to the nearest whole number. Eg -

AC/2 :
(5pts) / ( 4sec / 0.67 cool down ) = 0.8375 pts
Round to 1 (one) point.

(U)AC/5 :
(5pts) / ( 4sec / 1.66 cool down ) = 2.075 pts
Round to 2 (two) points.

AC/10 / LB 10-X AC :
(5pts) / ( 4sec / 2.5 cool down ) = 3.125 pts
Round to 3 (three) points. (3 per pellet for the LB 10-X AC, and 30 total if the stars align.)

AC/20 / (er)PPC / SRM6:
(5pts) / ( 4sec / 4 cool down ) = 5 pts
Round to 5 (five) points. (5 per SRM for the SRM6, or 30 total if the stars align.)

Considering weapons that have non standard firing times like SRMs or LRMs you might have to use an average, Eg:

SRM: (5pts) / ( 4sec / 3 avg cool down ) = 3.75 pts

or

LRM: (1pts) / ( 4sec / 4 avg cool down ) = 1 pt

And then you tweak!

Edited by no one, 15 April 2014 - 07:30 PM.

#34 Solahma

• Fury
  • Fury
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:23 PM

Played a few rounds with my 3x SRM6+A Griffin. No extremely good rounds, but I did get a feel of things. The SRMs themselves feel no different, but I did notice explosions vs no explosion. It was clear when an SRM volley hit a mech and actually applied damage, even against a strafing spider. You have to compensate for their movement AND your own movement to hit correctly, but it is possible. If anything, this patch allows me to see when a mech is taking damage, but it did not improve how SRMs interact with actual target positions and visible locations.

As expected, SRMs did not really change, but the hit effects make registration a bit clearer when you pay special attention.

Looking forward to the next changes.

#35 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:24 PM

Tried this patch out on the test server two weeks ago, was getting pretty consistent results, at least according to what was supposed to happen. When I saw explosions, I got hits, and when I saw missiles sail right through people, even if it should have been a hit, at least I wasn't being tricked into thinking it was.

Not so now. Still getting issues where I can very obviously see explosions pepper my target, but no hit markers, and no damage is done on the paperdoll.

I am getting better results with SRMs today than I was yesterday, my damage numbers are higher on SRM-focused mechs. That said, the registry on them is still abysmal. Still smacking lumbering Atlases and Stalkers for almost no damage frequently, still whiffing completely on lights when I should be hitting. Something is wrong for sure.

I'm also puzzled by:
@russ_bullock said:
Get ready for people to complain about SRM agedon as they all try them out. Initial reports are promising...let me know what you see

It's like he can't wrap his head around the fact that the last time SRMs were even usable was over a year ago now, and every time a small tweak is made he or Paul freaks out about it. But let's face it, SRMs have received nerf after nerf after nerf in the last 15 months, whether directly in the form of the flight patterns, splash, damage, and ghost heat, or more commonly indirectly, with the much larger maps and the proliferation of a persistent long-range metagame.

#36 Lyoto Machida

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:27 PM

View PostDarian DelFord, on 15 April 2014 - 02:43 PM, said:

They were at his torso unforunately at that speed I do not stay for the explosions. However with that said... 14 alphas of 3xSRM 4 (Yes I counted) into the back of LRM Boats only (Only thing I fired on Purpose) should have been around 330 damage. Only 127 registered :)(

EDIT::::::::::::::::

YUP Chain fire is the way its got to be, much better damage then. Alpha's still not as effective.

I did a game of 500+ damage in my Orion with 4x SRM6 and 2 LLs. I know I didn't fire the LLs that much and it seemed better (especially when chain fired). Could be a fluke game but it seemed better...have to run more games to see.

#37 Corwin Vickers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 631 posts
  • LocationChateau, Clan Wolf Occupation Zone

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:42 PM

Not seeing any difference.

#38 Mordin Ashe

• 1,505 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:35 PM

I see some difference, it is not 100% though. My 3L does better with his chainfire mode, but mx Oxide launching 16 missiles at once still isn't perfect, as is not my SRM30 Stalker. If I understand correctly launching this ammount should be adressed on April 29, so I am looking forward to it. Until then, at least my 3L is more viable against turrets.

#39 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:55 PM

View Postaniviron, on 15 April 2014 - 09:24 PM, said:

I'm also puzzled by:
@russ_bullock said:
Get ready for people to complain about SRM agedon as they all try them out. Initial reports are promising...let me know what you see

Me thinks he doth protests too much!

:)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

All I can say is... SRM KILL!!!!

I know this is imperfect, and I think the next patch will help even more. On the other hand... this has been A LONG TIME since I've brawled with SRMs.

So Paul, DO NOT NERF!!!

#40 Darian DelFord

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:38 AM

I will say that the SRM's still need more Hit Reg still needs more work but they are working better than before yesterday's patch. Now having compared my Oxide to my Splat Cat I can say with confidence that speed is a factor. I was registering more hit with my Cat than my oxide with the same loadout. 4 SRM 4's (Just testing)

Chain fire was a significant improvement vs Alpha. With Alpha I would get the explosion s on the mech but not register any damage on the paper doll.

A few tweaks that still needs to be done, up the damage back to what it was, 2.5 and continue to work on Hit Register and it should be about right. It is an improvement but still a ways to go

Also someone refresh my memory was the SRM ammo ever increased like the AC ammo when they doubled the amor. I do not remember and do not have my books to look them up anymore.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users