Why should I choose House Liao?

181 replies to this topic

#21 Balls of Steele

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:20 AM

From a purely military perspective: Warrior Houses. They are unique to House Liao and are the only units of their kind in all of the Inner Sphere. They are semi-religious military orders, sort of in the vein of warrior monk societies or the Teutonic Knights (without the western connotations). Dai Da Chi training has been compared to Clan sibkos and the others are all pretty hardcore.

Asides from that the CCAF is the smallest military in the IS (asides from FRR if I'm correct) and focus on quality over quantity. Ironically the Davions prefer numbers, making them closer to Soviet militaries than House Liao.

Also, we tend to be more close knit with a central focus (excluding the Goons).

#22 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:37 PM

View PostHarabec Weathers, on 19 June 2012 - 09:24 PM, said:

There will be FAR less Goons playing MWO than EVE. Also, while Goonswarm Federation [CONDI] does consist of dozens of corporations and thousands of characters (4000+ in Goonwaffe Corp alone!), the alliance consist of not only Something Awful but several other internet forums as well (such as Ars Technica and Penny Arcade, off the top of my head). Also EVE players are frequently over-invested, diehard-crazy and most players (especially the kind that join 0.0 empires) maintain multiple characters/accounts per player, often shocking numbers, I've heard of guys who have a dozen accounts (I had two Chartacters/accounts in my time in MERCH, the Penny Arcade Corp). So really take all those numbers and divide them by, oh.... six or ten.

Anyways. If you really want to play the smallguy underdog and feel Goon presence disqualifies Liao, try house Marik. The Free Worlds League is nearly as unpopular, and for a much sadder reason. While Liao is villified and reduced to the evil badguy in most novels, the FWL... just kinda gets ignored much of the time. Poor guys. :)

Yeah but if even The Mittani is willing to split time with this and EVE Im kinda thinking you guys are gonna have plenty of numbers O.o
Though oddly I wouldnt have thought a game where there isnt perminent destruction would hold that much appeal. I hear you were big in WoT tho.
Oh something I found when I was in EVE: http://gizmodo.com/5913381/season-your-food-with-salt-from-real-human-tears
Figured itd be funny

No...he's a merc. Liting how much will you pay him for a successful mission should be enough to convince him. :)

Technically Im choosing wether to decide on being merc, or going and declaring for a house. OR being a merc AND working for a house lol

#23 Harabec Weathers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons, Mars

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:41 PM

Believe it or not, Goons actually like playing games of internet spaceships/tanks/robots (though we are terrible at them), that we get to laugh at the stupidity of others is merely a wonderful bonus.

Edited by Harabec Weathers, 20 June 2012 - 08:41 PM.

#24 Xutech

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 43 posts
  • LocationEIIST

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:03 PM

He who fights alongside me will be my brother.

#25 Aeolian Advocate

Rookie

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4 posts
  • LocationNingxia

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:55 PM

cos there's free education and healthcare, where else can u get this in IS? <_<

on a serious note, it's due to the Warrior Houses thingy.

Edited by Aeolian Advocate, 20 June 2012 - 11:57 PM.

#26 Stronnius

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:41 AM

i dont know

Edited by Stronnius, 21 June 2012 - 12:41 AM.

#27 Howling Mad Murdock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • LocationPlanet Sian....but sometimes Essex, UK

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:41 AM

There are still many players within House Liao who have no affiliation with The Mittani or House of Lowtax so if you still like the idea of House Liao as a Faction then you can always team up with them :D

#28 CheeseThief

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 580 posts
  • LocationBeyond the Black Stump

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:42 AM

You should join House Liao because House Liao has the St. Ives Compact, the little super state.

It has everything, Davion lovability/propaganda machine, Liao military and political ideals, Steiner mech design sensibilities and is so heavily militarised that it took three years of being dog pilled by everyone before the Capellan's gave up and bribed them back into the Confederation.

Edited by CheeseThief, 21 June 2012 - 12:47 AM.

#29 The Chauffeur

Rookie

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:21 AM

In the original Mechwarrior RPG and 80's sourcebooks, Liao actually didn't have the smallest military. Marik did. Liao military doctrine emphasized discipline, officers were expected to lead from the front and by example (unlike all other Houses except Kurita), and traditionally relied on heavy artillery support.

Liao's poor performance in the 4th Succession War had more to do with state mismanagement and upper echelon politicking, and their reliance on "Fire Brigade" defense, than with any lack of ability on the part of the average trooper.

#30 Vandal

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:00 AM

View PostHowling Mad Murdock, on 21 June 2012 - 12:41 AM, said:

There are still many players within House Liao who have no affiliation with The Mittani or House of Lowtax so if you still like the idea of House Liao as a Faction then you can always team up with them :(

All members of the Capellan State are brothers in the House Of Lowtax, please ignore this Fedsun plant. (Squawk.)

Edited by Vandal, 21 June 2012 - 07:04 AM.

#31 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:08 AM

View PostVandal, on 21 June 2012 - 07:00 AM, said:

All members of the Capellan State are brothers in the House Of Lowtax, please ignore this Fedsun plant. (Squawk.)

Who would listen to you and Mittani? Wait for your time to appear, right now, your brothers from Com Gurad keep you at bay. :(

Posted Image

#32 LogicalTightRope

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 146 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, USA

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:14 AM

I'm ignoring Liao because of the Tetatae obsession and the bad stuff I've heard about the Goons. I don't want to be a part of that. I want to enjoy the game, not be annoyed by it, and play not for the sake of annoying other players. It ****** me the hell off. I'm betting that half the time I'm playing against anyone on Liao, they'll spam SQAWK into the chatbox and hope it blocks my vision. Damn birds...

#33 Vandal

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:28 AM

View Postlogicaltightrope, on 21 June 2012 - 07:14 AM, said:

I'm ignoring Liao because of the Tetatae obsession and the bad stuff I've heard about the Goons. I don't want to be a part of that. I want to enjoy the game, not be annoyed by it, and play not for the sake of annoying other players. It ****** me the hell off. I'm betting that half the time I'm playing against anyone on Liao, they'll spam SQAWK into the chatbox and hope it blocks my vision. Damn birds...

I'd take offense to this if it wasn't going to be totally true. :P
It's sqUawk, though, the U is for man-bird unity!

That said, goons just wanna have fun and chill in the chillest house and play internet gundams while roleplaying our noble tetatae warriors, ain't out to ruin the game for anybody.

Edited by Vandal, 21 June 2012 - 07:32 AM.

#34 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:52 AM

View PostVandal, on 21 June 2012 - 07:28 AM, said:

That said, goons just wanna have fun and chill in the chillest house and play internet gundams while roleplaying our noble tetatae warriors, ain't out to ruin the game for anybody.

Discussion on your forums indicates otherwise. :P

"As far as forums go, the MWO forums are considerably less vitriolic than other community forums (swtor, diablo). It's almost refreshing to see such stability. I'm glad goons are there to upset the balance and get idiots going."

I mean, some of you are cool and discuss everything normally, but some really just troll the people around here. :)

#35 Xmador

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 121 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:03 AM

Why join house Liao?

You shouldn't! Marik for life! FTW!!

and yes, I've made this post in each of these "Why join house ___?" posts

#36 Vandal

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:05 AM

Discussing negative or disparaging conversations from offsite involving the MWOMERCS forums can be construed as a violation of the code of conduct, might want to edit your post there, friend! :)

Edited by Vandal, 21 June 2012 - 09:08 AM.

#37 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:28 AM

View PostVandal, on 21 June 2012 - 09:05 AM, said:

Discussing negative or disparaging conversations from offsite involving the MWOMERCS forums can be construed as a violation of the code of conduct, might want to edit your post there, friend! :D

Running through the Code, nothing says it's against the rules... :)

#38 Reverend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 459 posts
  • LocationKAETETÔÃ

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:31 AM

View PostAdridos, on 21 June 2012 - 09:28 AM, said:

Why do you seriously try to start drama...in every subforum and topic. Seriously, get over your 15 year old self.

#39 Third Flower

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:35 AM

My mother always used to say: "Third - you don't mind if I call you Third, do you?" I'd usually say yes, but she was weird like that. She'd continue: "In any case Third, if you want to talk about the psychological manipulations of a largely bipedal mammal, over a digital medium, carried by electrons and photons, then consider the ramifications first!"

I hope this sharing of maternal advice will in some way guide your heart, Adridos! :D You've got a long road ahead of you, if you want to "catch them all", if you get my meaning!

#40 Vandal

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:43 AM

While a link may not be involved, jacking posts wholesale from another forum with the express purpose of re-posting them here, especially when they are referring to the MWOMERCS forums in any negative or disparaging light, can be cited as a violation of both the cross-linking and defamatory clauses of the code of conduct. I hope this information has made your day a little brighter, little buddy! :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users