• 152 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 03:33 PM

FS9-H

Stats:
5x Jump Jets
113 kph
2 ER Large Lasers

Suggested module: Advanced Zoom

2 ERLLs make this an excellent mech for light sniper support, scouting, harassment, and more! Five jumpjets allows it to reach some of the highest areas on the map. You can snipe from the tops of buildings and mountains you wouldn't expect to find a mech on. It's small profile makes it a pain to deal with at range and if there is an odd angle to exploit, this mech can reach it. The center torso slot allows you to fight to the end. :wacko:

If you attack from an odd enough angle sometimes players won't respond till the second or third volley not realizing the severity. It's one of the few times you can get multiple pinpoint shots on a single armor plate and an easy crit.

Posted Image

Edited by CaptainDeez, 15 March 2014 - 11:02 AM.

#2 Amsro

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,391 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:24 PM

That torso ER Large would be useless from a sniping location, this mech has a broken back.

MegaMan 1
or MegaMan 2

#3 Wraith 1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:26 PM

If you drop 6 points of armor and 1 JJ you can mount an XL255. The XL255 is one of the most useful engines to have, and it gets you another 'true' DHS.

Also, I'd move at least one point of armor to the rear. If you leave a section completely unarmored it will show up on enemy scanners.

Other than that, it looks pretty fun. I'd probably like it better on the FS9-A so you could fit all the lasers in the STs and use the arms as dedicated shields.

#4 CaptainDeez

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 152 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:31 PM

I don't run without back armor. I just figure it's up to you to choose your armor distribution. The main thing that keeps you from adding a 6th jj is space, not weight.

#5 CaptainDeez

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 152 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:59 AM

Back with more variants for the FS Chassis. Mobility, firepower, and altitude are the themes here. These build work great for lone wolfing, sniping, scouting, and surprisingly enough commanding. They work best away from the main pack finding obscure areas of the map to snipe or spot targets from. They are also highly mobile and can escape over most vertical obstacles. For perspective, running a farsight build with an equivalent damage set up of 4x MLs would run at 52% heat efficiency as well, but with only 4/10ths the range.

MegaMan Farsight

1x ERPPC
1x ERLL
5x JJs
113.4kph
33% cooling efficiency(Farsight: 52%)

Keeping with the Megaman theme I decided to see if an ER PPC could be crammed into the right arm. This build sacrifices one double heatsink adds a higher heat weapon to the build. Runs a bit hot for my taste and I prefer the point and shoot style of the lasers, but the blue blaster on the right arm just feels right and it's great for long range harassment. Might rock with veteran masteries. :ph34r:

Farsight SC

2x ERLL
6x JJs
113.4 kph
49% cooling(Farsight 52%)
BAP

It flies. <_< I mean this build really flies. All of the builds get great height but the 6th jet has me clearing buildings, dams, canyons, small mountains, rough terrain, bridge spans, in addition to allowing me to scale virtually any mountain on the map in less than a minute. All the farsight builds can do that but this one is better at gaining altitude below max speed. This build sacrifices one heatsink to fit an extra JJ and one BAP. This only sacrifices 3% cooling efficiency. Not a bad trade eh?

Farsight 255

2x ERLL
5x JJs
118 kph
53% cooling efficiency.

For players using the more common 255XL engines. Sacrifices one heatsink(or does it?) so the engine can fit. This build runs with one double heat sink at 53% efficiency. It runs with 5xJJs likes the standard farsight but can get more range and altitude due to it's higher running speed.

Edited by CaptainDeez, 15 March 2014 - 11:25 AM.

#6 Dagada Moor

• PipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 99 posts
  • LocationGainesville, Florida

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:49 PM

Peekachew

Another variant you could try. It is defiantly a sniper mech.

<a href="http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=140&l=927d61ca8999e50fb635567f44257bc162c41fa8">Peekachew</a>

Peekachew

#7 o0Marduk0o

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 16 March 2014 - 01:30 PM

Sorry to say it but all your builds are horrible for this variant. You have 2 ballistic slots which you don't use. Your mech is too slow and bad vs other light mechs. You may have fun with them but it is far beyond effective. Nevertheless, good luck with them.

The H is imho the best non-Ember variant of the FS9 but you turn it into an full energy mech which is not his role while other variants can do it better.

#8 CaptainDeez

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 152 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 02:32 PM

View Posto0Marduk0o, on 16 March 2014 - 01:30 PM, said:

Sorry to say it but all your builds are horrible for this variant. You have 2 ballistic slots which you don't use. Your mech is too slow and bad vs other light mechs. You may have fun with them but it is far beyond effective. Nevertheless, good luck with them.

The H is imho the best non-Ember variant of the FS9 but you turn it into an full energy mech which is not his role while other variants can do it better.

I'm not sure what you mean. Those builds would work near identically on all the fire starter variants. The build only requires 2 energy hard points 4 slots. Just because you have x-number of hard points doesn't force you to put something on them. :D

And these builds performs just fine.

Posted Image

#9 o0Marduk0o

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 02:37 PM

I wouldn't call those stats "fine" unless it's a Locust 3S or a Spider 5V. :D Both lack offensive abilities.

#10 CaptainDeez

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 152 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 02:53 PM

View Posto0Marduk0o, on 16 March 2014 - 02:37 PM, said:

I wouldn't call those stats &quot;fine&quot; unless it's a Locust 3S or a Spider 5V. :D Both lack offensive abilities.

Sounds like Haterade to me :ph34r:

#11 o0Marduk0o

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 02:59 PM

View PostCaptainDeez, on 16 March 2014 - 02:53 PM, said:

Sounds like Haterade to me :D

Let's say it different. Those stats might be ok for a new player and his first mech.
They show in no way the offensive potential of the FS9 and builds like this 2 ER LL can be made with other mech chassis for better results like Cicada 3M.
Not to mention that 2 ER LL is quite hot on a 35 mech without much tonnage for heatsinks.
The H can do much more than you let him do, that's all I want to say here.

#12 Spleenslitta

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 16 March 2014 - 03:08 PM

It's good to see another player trying out light sniper builds. I use only half the long range firepower, but in exchange i get a bit more speed and a lot of closerange firepower.

I use a Jenner with XL265 and 3 JJ's. 1 ER LL, 2x SRM2 (for faster reloads) , 2 ML's.

If you shoot - get back into cover - run to another location - pop out of cover and shoot...Rinse this and repeat.
But be unpredictable in where you show yourself next. Sometimes it's better to go to a completly different territory so the lights don't hunt you down.

#13 CaptainDeez

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 152 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 03:16 PM

View Posto0Marduk0o, on 16 March 2014 - 02:59 PM, said:

Let's say it different. Those stats might be ok for a new player and his first mech.
They show in no way the offensive potential of the FS9 and builds like this 2 ER LL can be made with other mech chassis for better results like Cicada 3M.
Not to mention that 2 ER LL is quite hot on a 35 mech without much tonnage for heatsinks.
The H can do much more than you let him do, that's all I want to say here.

I'm going to have to disagree. The 3m may be faster but it cannot jump. I have way more sniping options than a cicada. I have way more vectors for escape. When cicadas are madly circling trying to get out of a tight spot I'm leaping over a building. The cicada would have been unable to exploit half of the firing posistions I've taken in river city much less a JJ dependent map like canyon network. It can't snipe from the volcanoes tops on the magma planet and Cicadas can't pop tart. Not saying they don't snipe well. But they dont have the light sniping role fully covered.

#14 Spleenslitta

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 16 March 2014 - 03:24 PM

View PostCaptainDeez, on 16 March 2014 - 03:16 PM, said:

I'm going to have to disagree. The 3m may be faster but it cannot jump. I have way more sniping options than a cicada. I have way more vectors for escape. When cicadas are madly circling trying to get out of a tight spot I'm leaping over a building. The cicada would have been unable to exploit half of the firing posistions I've taken in river city much less a JJ dependent map like canyon network. It can't snipe from the volcanoes tops on the magma planet and Cicadas can't pop tart. Not saying they don't snipe well. But they dont have the light sniping role fully covered.

They may be right about most the stuff but you really came back with a good point here.
The reason i don't use the Firestarter for sniping is easy. I want my guns high on the body to take advantage of hills.

Remember to use backwards jumps to get into cover quickly. It does wonders for how long you survive.

#15 o0Marduk0o

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 03:27 PM

View PostCaptainDeez, on 16 March 2014 - 03:16 PM, said:

You want to fight at long range, having ECM gives you a higher advantage than having JJ. I can assure you, you don't want to "poptart" with lasers. The Spider 5D is better at sniping as well.
Your "sniper build" can be made better with Jenners, who have a lower profile or Raven 3L who offers ECM. Sniping is pointless when your enemy's can SEE you. Having no close range armament (your ER LL are too hot for infight) raises the need to be invisible to the enemy.
Those are the facts here, you can disagree but you will still be wrong. I have no intention to flame you but your posted results are just good enough for a bad match or a match where you are afk most of the time. :D

The poster above just mentioned another reason why not to take a FS9 for sniping.

Edited by o0Marduk0o, 16 March 2014 - 03:27 PM.

#16 CaptainDeez

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 152 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 03:47 PM

View Posto0Marduk0o, on 16 March 2014 - 03:27 PM, said:

You want to fight at long range, having ECM gives you a higher advantage than having JJ. I can assure you, you don't want to &quot;poptart&quot; with lasers. The Spider 5D is better at sniping as well.
Your &quot;sniper build&quot; can be made better with Jenners, who have a lower profile or Raven 3L who offers ECM. Sniping is pointless when your enemy's can SEE you. Having no close range armament (your ER LL are too hot for infight) raises the need to be invisible to the enemy.
Those are the facts here, you can disagree but you will still be wrong. I have no intention to flame you but your posted results are just good enough for a bad match or a match where you are afk most of the time. :D

The poster above just mentioned another reason why not to take a FS9 for sniping.

I doubt the Jenner with 2-3 jjs performs the same I have never seen any Jenner pilots attempt to exploit very high regions, they get less overall altitude. Weapon mounts are lower but don't be so dramatic if I can survive with 6 mls and no cover at 100m, I won't melt in partial cover at 600+m especially with an already small profile. In both of those matches damage was done from positions on the enemies flank and rear. They saw me, they missed me while splitting their attention. When mechs where sent my way I simply flew to where they couldnt reach quickly. I've never seen anything other than a dedicated scout with a big engine and low armament out in the areas I snipe from. Having an ideal profile is nice, but if you can't reach the firing position to begin with it won't matter.

I'm not sure why you keep talking about facts since builds are based on player preference and every machine offers different possibilities others lack.

Edited by CaptainDeez, 16 March 2014 - 03:48 PM.

#17 o0Marduk0o

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 03:53 PM

View PostCaptainDeez, on 16 March 2014 - 03:47 PM, said:

I'm not sure why you keep talking about facts since builds are based on player preference and every machine offers different possibilities others lack.

Jenner JJ work the same as FS9 JJ. But Jenners usually run more offensive builds than 2 ER LL with more damage and faster speed. Jenners are better in every aspect for your sniper role, even if they don't use full potential by doing it.

Using only 2 hardpoints in a 8 hardpoint mech is just sub par. That's it. :D

#18 Spleenslitta

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 16 March 2014 - 03:56 PM

View Posto0Marduk0o, on 16 March 2014 - 03:27 PM, said:

You want to fight at long range, having ECM gives you a higher advantage than having JJ. I can assure you, you don't want to "poptart" with lasers. The Spider 5D is better at sniping as well.
Your "sniper build" can be made better with Jenners, who have a lower profile or Raven 3L who offers ECM. Sniping is pointless when your enemy's can SEE you. Having no close range armament (your ER LL are too hot for infight) raises the need to be invisible to the enemy.

If his results are like that it doesn't say everything about what he has done. There is one thing that me and him probably have in common.
We make the big mechs either chase us or spend time looking at a hill where they expect us to appear next.
But in reality we have gone further back and used small folds in the landscape to relocate to snipe at the victim from a different angle or to bother another victim.

I get 50-500 damage per match and few kills. I would most definitivly do better with a more stable connection but there you have it.

As for the ECM thingie. That is a good point, but for a light snipers survivability JJ's and ECM are equally powerfull.
How? That doesn't make any sense you probably think. Can't say i blame you.

It's all comes from backjumping with JJ's.
It's much faster than just going backwards on foot when you need to get yourself back into cover quickly.
Not looking to shot down your points Marduk. Just saying the stuff i have experienced.

Having said that i do believe Marduk has a really good point when he says you shouldn't go jumping up over cover with lasers to shoot.

#19 CaptainDeez

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 152 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:02 PM

View Posto0Marduk0o, on 16 March 2014 - 03:53 PM, said:

Jenner JJ work the same as FS9 JJ. But Jenners usually run more offensive builds than 2 ER LL with more damage and faster speed. Jenners are better in every aspect for your sniper role, even if they don't use full potential by doing it.

Using only 2 hardpoints in a 8 hardpoint mech is just sub par. That's it. :D

Not seeing any builds posted so I couldn't confirm that either way.

8 hardpoints means 8 options. That's it. You only limit yourself by thinking must fill every hard point just because.

#20 Spleenslitta

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:24 PM

View PostCaptainDeez, on 16 March 2014 - 03:47 PM, said:

I doubt the Jenner with 2-3 jjs performs the same I have never seen any Jenner pilots attempt to exploit very high regions, they get less overall altitude.

I have been on the mountaintop in the center of the Crimson Strait map a few times. I can make it up there with my 3 JJ's.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users