Dear Atlas Missile Boats:

Plea

624 replies to this topic

#81 Nikkoru

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:57 PM

View PostTahribator, on 27 April 2014 - 12:55 AM, said:

You may think it's your mech and you can do whatever you want with your mechs, but by bringing an Atlas on the field you also get responsibilities.

I gotta say, after pugging this game for months, I have learned one lesson, and a hard-learned lesson it was:

I cannot rely on my teammates for ANYTHING.

And, so, I have come to the inescapable conclusion, that since they have no responsabilities towards me, I have none towards them either.

You can yell at me until you are blue in the face, but that is the reality for those of us that pug.

Edited by Nikkoru, 29 April 2014 - 04:00 PM.

#82 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,604 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:03 PM

No, it's not reality. Denying a responsibility doesn't make it go away. Your "inescapable conclusion" is just one way to deal with the fact that PuGs are affected by mob mentality - and it's one of the most petulant and least useful. It's simply one turn in a vicious cycle of spite.

A more excellent way to go about it would be to ask yourself how you can better cooperate with PuGs, given that they will often refuse to take the actions that seem reasonable for you - for reasons they find logical at the time.

#83 Nikkoru

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:06 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 29 April 2014 - 04:03 PM, said:

Denying a responsibility doesn't make it go away.

Sure it does.

When someone who has no authority to do so tries to tell me that I have a responsability, and I ignore them, it absolutely goes away.

#84 M X Striker

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 114 posts
  • LocationAwesome, USA

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:13 PM

LRM Atlai are lame plain and simple. If you're piloting a Brawler chassis, be a Brawler. Not an LRM boat.

#85 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,604 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:21 PM

"Atlai" is not a word. =)

#86 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,604 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:26 PM

View PostNikkoru, on 29 April 2014 - 04:06 PM, said:

Sure it does.

When someone who has no authority to do so tries to tell me that I have a responsability, and I ignore them, it absolutely goes away.

There is a difference between disagreeing that a responsibility exists and simply ignoring your responsibilities - by your logic a father has no responsibility to pay child support if he can flee the country, and thus remove himself from the authority of those who tell him he must contribute to the raising of the life he created. In essence, unless someone has the power to punish you for them, your actions are not wrong.

This is a very childish viewpoint - most children advance beyond this stage in moral reasoning by the time they are 9-12, though developmental exceptions exist up to putative adulthood.

Edited by Void Angel, 29 April 2014 - 04:27 PM.

#87 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:52 PM

<deleted>

Don't drink and post, kids.

Edited by Terciel1976, 29 April 2014 - 04:55 PM.

#88 Alekzander Smirnoff

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 427 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:58 PM

Considering I shelled out for the Boar's Head, This is what I ended up settling on, it may be horribly slow but damn does it pack a punch considering all I'd get is 12 more damage out of a crappy SRM 6 that may or may not all register so instead I use an LRM rack to help while I'm closing on targets to brawl range then dish the pain.

My D-DC is a pure brawl build with 2x AC/5 for damage/range 2xML and 2xSRM6+SRM4. My other two are mixed range.

Every time I see an LRM atlas I just cry.

#89 LtPoncho

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Staff Sergeant
  • 198 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 29 April 2014 - 05:17 PM

This game is built on joke builds.

#90 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 05:46 PM

View PostLtPoncho, on 29 April 2014 - 05:17 PM, said:

This game is built on joke builds.

Then why did they take away my Androsynth Dragon builds :lol:?

#91 mogs01gt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:40 PM

Just had a Atlas do this crap. Letting other mechs tank while they sat back with lrms....Did less than 400 dmg....Soo anoying!

#92 Nikkoru

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:31 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 29 April 2014 - 04:26 PM, said:

There is a difference between disagreeing that a responsibility exists and simply ignoring your responsibilities - by your logic a father has no responsibility to pay child support if he can flee the country, and thus remove himself from the authority of those who tell him he must contribute to the raising of the life he created. In essence, unless someone has the power to punish you for them, your actions are not wrong.

This is a very childish viewpoint - most children advance beyond this stage in moral reasoning by the time they are 9-12, though developmental exceptions exist up to putative adulthood.

Oh wow.

*slow clap*

Well done. Well done, good sir. You just made the most ridiculous argument I've ever read online.

You sir, win the internet.

Okay, let me explain how things work on planet earth.

The key word in my post was "authority." You see, only the game's developers and admins have the authority to tell me, as a player, what to do. This is their game, they set the rules, they define the boundaries. They also have the authority to punish me if I do not follow their rules.

Players, on the other hand, like you and Tahribator, have ZERO authority to tell others players how to behave. In fact PGI has said on several occasions that no players has the right to tell another how to play.

So, your absurd example of a father skipping out on child support doesn't apply. Nor does your passive agressive attempt to call me names.

A more correct example would be if a family was sitting at home playing monopoly, while some crazed lunatic was banging on their door, telling them that they must line up their money underneath the board, not beside it, and if they fail to do so then they are ignoring their "responsabilities."

So, no.

Thanks for the laugh, but no.

However, you did bait me into coming back and writing out a response, so ultimately this is a case of effective troll being effective.

Edited by Nikkoru, 29 April 2014 - 08:33 PM.

#93 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:38 PM

So...the next time I see you in a match, Nikkoru, I should just completely ignore my totally-nonexistent responsibilities for scraping light 'Mechs off your giant, too-slow, poorly-armed, extremely unhelpful LRM Atlas?

Sweet! because I hate saving those useless tubs anyways. Any assault 'Mech I can outperform in their chosen role IN MY TREBUCHET is a pointless waste of tonnage - but I tend to try and keep them alive anyways, because I knew my smaller, more agile 'Mechs are better-suited to flyswatting, and at least if they soak up enemy fatty shots, that's fire I'm not taking.

But good to know you're totally cool with me leaving your junky self hanging out to dry! Glad we're clear on this one, thanks!

#94 Nikkoru

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:56 PM

View Post1453 R, on 29 April 2014 - 08:38 PM, said:

So...the next time I see you in a match, Nikkoru, I should just completely ignore my totally-nonexistent responsibilities for scraping light 'Mechs off your giant, too-slow, poorly-armed, extremely unhelpful LRM Atlas?

Sweet! because I hate saving those useless tubs anyways. Any assault 'Mech I can outperform in their chosen role IN MY TREBUCHET is a pointless waste of tonnage - but I tend to try and keep them alive anyways, because I knew my smaller, more agile 'Mechs are better-suited to flyswatting, and at least if they soak up enemy fatty shots, that's fire I'm not taking.

But good to know you're totally cool with me leaving your junky self hanging out to dry! Glad we're clear on this one, thanks!

Wow.

You are spending so much time tooting your own horn in that post, I almost can't figure out what you are trying to say.
Be careful you don't want to injure your cheeks by blowing too hard.

But, joking aside, the answer is no. If you and I were on a team, I would not expect you to scrape lights off of me. Sad experience has taught me that I can not rely on my teammates to have the skill nor the wherewithall to do anything competently.

I spent months doing exactly what an Atlas is supposed to do, and do you know what I got for my trouble?

I got team mates who left me to die, failed to press when it was time to press, failed to fall back when it was time to fall back, and I sacrified myself over and over again for people who were happy to spitefully use me to further their own progress.

So, at a certain point, I just stopped caring what my "job" was, and just started playing in a way that was fun for me, and I never looked back.

I expect nothing from my team-mates, and I take upon myself no obligations towards them.

If you disagree, it doesn't matter. You have no authority.

Edited by Nikkoru, 29 April 2014 - 08:57 PM.

#95 Munin Ravensong

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 11:31 PM

ahh the cynicism of a pug assault pilot. I've only been here a few days, but I already understand your point of view - of course I disagree with you though. If I wasn't willing to be used as a meat shield, bait, or a speed bump while my team runs off, I wouldn't drive the slowest thing on the field. So far I've seen 1 guy use a DDC with a maxed LRM loadout, but his brawling gear STILL left any REAL lrm boat's secondaries in the dust of course his play style , lobbing lrm's over the hill while he walked up to the crest to wail the tar out of the now softened enemies.

#96 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,604 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 29 April 2014 - 11:41 PM

Again, your entire argument is that unless someone has the power to hurt you, you don't have any moral obligation to do what they think you should. So, despite the fact that you don't understand entry-level college general psych, my observation stands.

In reality, most grown-ups have progressed to at least a set of rules governing right and wrong independent of whether or not those rules can be enforced at any given time - if not a set of moral principles which they balance against each other. By repudiating the idea that anyone who does not have the power to inflict pain upon you might still have a valid moral opinion, you make it clear that you are not one of these grown-ups.

You've also demonstrated that you are unwilling (I shall that you are not incapable for charity's sake) to realize the contradiction of coming to a guides forum - whilst having no power or "authority" to harm or control anyone here - that no one's opinion who does not have the power to inflict pain to enforce their will matters.

Here, let me leave you with this fun video clip before I ignore you!

/ciao!

#97 SaltBeef

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,081 posts
  • LocationOmni-mech cockpit.

Posted 29 April 2014 - 11:58 PM

Simply Horsehocky and not true!! My highest killing mech and has always been the highest killing since I bought it before the stats reset is the ATLAS RS ( C ) 2 LRM 15's with 1000 missiles, 4 medium lasers, and a LBX 10 Autocannon. Sometimes I run modules Decay 360 retention increased sensor range. ARTY. I love it when a mech thinks I cannot defend myself and falls to the medium lasers and LBX. Atlas do just fine in fire support roles. Since Reset stats below.

ATLAS AS7-RS 176Matches 102 WINS 74 LOSSES 1.38 172KILLS 93 DEATHS 1.85 KDR 61,364 227,289 20:05:57

#98 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,604 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:15 AM

... I realize that I'm just up way late and probably on a short fuse, but I really must insist that you smack yourself for obviously not having understood the post or read any of the comments to speak of.

What you have described is a hybrid support/brawler, not a missile boat. As I explained above, a missile boat is one that actually relies on missiles for the great majority of its firepower - your build does not do this, so as I also pointed out above, this thread does not apply to it.

So go give yourself a friendly smack, and re-read the post to see if you actually agree or disagree with it, and give me real reasons why. :P

Edited by Void Angel, 30 April 2014 - 12:15 AM.

#99 Zeede

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:16 AM

The issue isn't the weapons load out, it's the mentality/play style. An Atlas should always be trying to get into the thick of things. It's as simple as that. Yes, carry something long range so you aren't defenseless, but if the closest enemy is over 500m away from you, you need to get closer.

#100 SaltBeef

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,081 posts
  • LocationOmni-mech cockpit.

Posted 30 April 2014 - 02:58 AM

I figured with anything that carries over 1000 missiles + artemis is a boat. A Hunchback with 2 lrm 10's and 1200 missiles is a boat. But the 1st thing is to get rid of all those missiles damaging the other team as much as possible with them so that I then can close with and destroy them through thier damaged weak spots. I rarely deploy a missile boat in any form that does not have at least 3 or 4 med laser to defend itself with if larger expect a punch weapon too. The catapult A1 ( C ) is a boat 900 missiles and streaks to back it up Love that mech!! Yes, I am gonna buy it! I have a Kintaro with 1 lrm 20 lots of LRMs and streaks for defense. It is still a boat. I still close and brawl in the end. The only boats i dont like are light mech missile boats ,....well I have never tried them with LRM's they could be fun. Laser boat... missile boat ... autocannon boat....Narc boat... we are all afloat. Luv this game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users