#81 Ghost Rider LSOV

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 272 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:55 PM

View PostArrachtas, on 08 July 2013 - 11:18 PM, said:

The last good entry in the Wing Commander series (Wing Commander IV)

I don't know you, but I like you. :P
(in a friendly way <_<)
In my headcanon the series ended with IV and not Prophecy.

On-Topic:
I can't be so sure. I'm more excited about Star Citizen at this point (because of the fancy videos and stuff), but I haven't lost hope for MWO yet. I'm just not as optimistic as I used to be...

Edited by Ghost Rider LSOV, 08 July 2013 - 11:55 PM.

#82 ApolloKaras

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:02 AM

View PostLonestar1771, on 08 July 2013 - 08:50 PM, said:

Three of them did! Garth, Bryan and Paul all had vacations this year.

GASP!! How dare they take a vacation!!! GET THE TORCHES WE SHALL CHASE THEM BACK IN TO THE CAGE TO CONTINUE DEVELOPMENT!!

Everyone needs vacation once in a while. I'd rather have a well rested Dev team with a fresh mind than a team who's worked to death and too stressed out which is unproductive.

#83 jakucha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:47 AM

View PostLonestar1771, on 08 July 2013 - 10:36 PM, said:

Ah, okay. At GDC Bryan said they need to increase their staff by 100 percent, which would explain some of the slow development.

View PostRalgas, on 08 July 2013 - 10:29 PM, said:

One of the big difference is the lead teams profile as well, pgi so far (and no disrespect) is responsible for some console/handheld spinoffs and some components of Duke forever.

As long as they get weapon balance somewhere near reasonable it should be ok, otherwise it may be very hard to attract new blood without big features/content shifts

Yeah, they worked with Gearbox to port Duke Nukem Forever over to the consoles as well as some multiplayer. Not sure what anyone is expecting from them in that case, porting a terrible game they didn't make over to old hardware.

Edited by jakucha, 09 July 2013 - 12:53 AM.

#84 Matta

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 169 posts
  • LocationCroatia, Europe

Posted 09 July 2013 - 01:47 AM

View Postjakucha, on 08 July 2013 - 07:46 PM, said:

The difference is MWO is out, but slow at development. Star Citizen has nothing. If it's another Ouya situation, people poured money into that kickstarter and it turned out to be fairly terrible, just don't be surprised.

I disagree.

Star Citizen has something:

Chris Roberts

His name solely, in just a few weeks and without Kickstarter, gathered enough funds to start Star Citizen.
And by now, they are almost on 15 million $ and going up. It became a milestone for, hopefully, something better in the world of games. World without greedy, stupid and evil publishers, where game developer is communicating directly to the community.

#85 Ghost Rider LSOV

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 272 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:07 AM

View PostMatta, on 09 July 2013 - 01:47 AM, said:

I disagree.

Star Citizen has something:

Chris Roberts

His name solely, in just a few weeks and without Kickstarter, gathered enough funds to start Star Citizen.
And by now, they are almost on 15 million $ and going up. It became a milestone for, hopefully, something better in the world of games. World without greedy, stupid and evil publishers, where game developer is communicating directly to the community.

Also hoping.
Time will tell.

#86 Ralgas

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,628 posts
  • LocationThe Wonderful world of OZ

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:36 AM

View Postjakucha, on 09 July 2013 - 12:47 AM, said:

Yeah, they worked with Gearbox to port Duke Nukem Forever over to the consoles as well as some multiplayer. Not sure what anyone is expecting from them in that case, porting a terrible game they didn't make over to old hardware.

To me it actually shows a lot that they could get this project past kickstarter/founders, much less as far as it's come. Too many seem to forget this is pretty damn big and ambitious for the studio..........

#87 Springbok

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 107 posts
  • LocationVêr in die ou Kalahari...

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:15 AM

View PostArrachtas, on 08 July 2013 - 11:18 PM, said:

tours through somebody's office and some promo vids mean absolutely nothing, as the several hundred million dollars thrown at Star Wars: The Old Republic (and countless other expensive failures) will show. Until (unless) Star Citizen has something playable that isn't worse than an Alpha, don't even try to compare the two games.

IMHO, from PGI's side, there was(and still is) a severe lack of communication on progress regarding a game mechanic they promised since the start of the game. So my question remains, what is the exact current status quo of CW?

I can in fact compare the two, as I know the current sate of SC. I know they are working on certain funding milestones via regular updates. I know there is designs, models, sketches etc. being done and people are actually working on it as I type. I also know the risk of crowd funding and there is always the chance SC may not materialize - Chris has actually been upfront about it since the start.

Can I say the same of PGI and CW? Probably, maybe, perhaps? The truth is. is that I simply don't know a.t.m. and the sad reality is that SC is already light years ahead just on communication aspects with their fan base alone.

Make no mistake, I love MWO and it is still my main game, but they will have to get their act together sooner than later as the current match modes is not sustainable for the longevity of the game. Shouldn't CW ideally have already gone through Beta testing before the September launch date?

Edited by Springbok, 09 July 2013 - 03:17 AM.

#88 xZaOx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:31 AM

PGI has not had an update on CW since 7 Dec 2011. That scares the bejezus out of me. Star Citizen. I've thrown them WAY too much money because they actually communicate with there community.

#89 Chrithu

• Bad Company
  • 1,601 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:58 AM

MWO Community Warfare will be first. It will go live in September/Oktober alongside the release. At least that's what I gathered from Syllogy's "Upcoming Features" thread. And that is clearly before the supposed launch date for the Dogfighting Alpha Module of Star Citizen which is said to be somewhere around the end of 2013.

However the Hangar Module of Star Citizen will be released to the backers this summer. Probably in August around or at the Gamescom.

Edited by Jason Parker, 09 July 2013 - 07:00 AM.

#90 Vasces Diablo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts
  • LocationOmaha,NE

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:25 AM

I find the current MWO vs SC thing to be interesting. People are upset that MWO hasn't delivered on content and features offered up pre-Alpha, and so they are going to play a game... That is currently making content and feature statements while still pre-alpha...

Not really defending PGI here or saying that SC won't be good, but just like MWO, when you look through the hype, you have to come back to reality a bit. Roberts made Wing Comander, yes (and I played the hell out of that game) and some great follow ups (which I also played...10+ years ago) but he's basically tying to build an Eve type game and doing it without a publisher. Do publishers ask for things that may not be in line with the creators vision, sure, but they also offer things like stable capital, server infrastructure, and marketing.

I really hope MWO gets its act together in the next couple months, and I'll give SC a pretty good block of play time as well, but be wary people. Everything that SC is right now, MWO was 1.5 years ago.

Also, this:

http://themittani.co...cruiser-3000-ad

Edited by Vasces Diablo, 09 July 2013 - 07:28 AM.

#91 General Taskeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:27 AM

Star Citizen is for flight sim enthusiasts that have wanted a good Flight Space Simulator for a long time. I will definitely be playing it and pirating the space lanes. The way they are talking up Star Citizen is basically going to be the biggest, most amazing Space Simulator ever (hopefully) that is also with a dynamic economy, combat, and missions.

I've always enjoyed Eve, but I need to be able pilot a spacecraft myself and not point and click. What Star Citizen reminds me of is many games combining into one super game concept, Eve, Wing Commander, X3: Reunion, etc.

As far as comparing MWO vs. Star Citizen, I think they are entirely different scopes and games. That's not to say MWO does not need improvement, it definitely does. And both games have hype and promises to try and live up to. However, PGI I think could do well to improve their communication in the ways that the Star Citizen developers do, or even other games. Show interviews at their HQ, have their developers do round tables to talk about game balance or show people what each developer's job is during the process, etc.

Remember that publishers think that good, complex simulator's on PC's just aren't worth it in this market. I'm sick of that mentality of crappy publishers like EA forcing developers to 'dumb' their games down for a mass market.

Here is a video teaser showing in-game graphics and one of the 'revealed' ships that you can purchase:

And here is Chris Roberts talking about how they envision the economy dynamically creating missions for players, where every action has a reaction and so on:

Also if anyone has played this Wing Commander reboot, it is incredibly fun, and I expect Star Citizen's SP campaign to be similar:

Edited by General Taskeen, 09 July 2013 - 07:38 AM.

#92 Cromwill

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 65 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:43 AM

The communication from Star Citizen development team is superior in every way to MWO's its actually an embarrassment when you compare how well one company performs and the other fails in this area.

#93 buttmonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:12 AM

yeah i just wish i had pledged earlier with SC so i could have gotten my scythe :D

you guys are right the communication there is amazing compared to pgi.

mwo seamed so awesome when i decided to support it but there has been so little progress in such a long time i honestly wonder if this is it and there is no CW or clans.

and the last straw for me was finding out that the founders money got sent to develop mwt. think about what SC promise with 14 mill, then compare that to what we have here for 5 mill (purely founders packages, not including money made since).
i hope the pheonix project really will revive MWO but im not holding my breath- hence i am investing my money into SC instead, where they tell what its being used for.

on a side note, i do realise its IGP that controlls the money so i do kinda feel sorry for pgi, they are like the busy bee making honey, and IGP is like the bear that comes and rapes the hive.

#94 MrTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 242 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:18 AM

View PostLonestar1771, on 08 July 2013 - 08:03 PM, said:

Star Citizen already has something to show for it. Is it playable? No, but real progress is being made (and they show it to us) whereas MWO has stagnated for months with no real concrete proof that CW is actually coming.

Check it

What we don't have:
Time line: Nonexistent
Role Warfare: Nonexistent
Community Warfare: Nonexistent
Information Warfare: in shambles
Clans: Nonexistent
Knockdowns/physics: Nonexistent
Weapon Balance: Nonexistent
In game Voice Comms: Nonexistent
3pv: Nonexistent

What we do have:
Mechs
Consumables
Cash Shop
5-6 maps

At this point PGI has removed more than they have implemented.

What we Had in Closed Beta (a year ago)
8 Mechs Chassis
No Hero Mechs
No Champion Mechs
4 Maps
1 Game Mode
No Consumables
No Modules
No Electronic Warfare

What we Have Now
19 Mech Chassis
11 Hero Mechs
3 Champion Mechs
8 maps (inc variants)
2 Game Modes
9 Modules
8 Consumables
ECM + BAP

Yeah, game hasn't come along at all. o0

OK. So I am wanting CW more then ever as I am loving Proxis at the moment, but do you know what does not speed things up when developing games. Bitching about it.

Lets look at some numbers:

From the Founders they made $5,205,600 (http://mwomercs.com/...unders-numbers/)

Star citizen made $6,000,000 on the Kickstarter + the money they made from selling packages AFTER the kickstarter (roughly another $1,000,000 on top). So $7,000,000.

That's a lot more then MWO.

Expect delays. Star citizen is not playable at the moment, MWO is and has a planned release date.

PS: I have brought the Aurora Package, so I have no allegiance to any game.

Edited by MrTarget, 09 July 2013 - 08:22 AM.

#95 Lonestar1771

• 1,991 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:27 AM

View PostMrTarget, on 09 July 2013 - 08:18 AM, said:

What we Had in Closed Beta (a year ago)
8 Mechs Chassis
No Hero Mechs
No Champion Mechs
4 Maps
1 Game Mode
No Consumables
No Modules
No Electronic Warfare

What we Have Now
19 Mech Chassis
11 Hero Mechs
3 Champion Mechs
8 maps (inc variants)
2 Game Modes
9 Modules
8 Consumables
ECM + BAP

Yeah, game hasn't come along at all. o0

OK. So I am wanting CW more then ever as I am loving Proxis at the moment, but do you know what does not speed things up when developing games. Bitching about it.

Lets look at some numbers:

From the Founders they made $5,205,600

Star citizen made $6,000,000 on the Kickstarter + the money they made from selling packages AFTER the kickstarter (roughly another $1,000,000 on top). So $7,000,000.

That's a lot more then MWO.

Expect delays. Star citizen is not playable at the moment, MWO is and has a planned release date.

PS: I have brought the Aurora Package, so I have no allegiance to any game.

So in your mind adding more mechs makes up for the lack of compelling gameplay? Don't you think it's a little pathetic that in a years time they have only managed to implement those things?

#96 Kraven Kor

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:48 AM

View Postjakucha, on 08 July 2013 - 07:36 PM, said:

Star Citizen is just promises and concepts so far. Bad idea to put all your eggs in one basket when they haven't released anything at all yet.

Yup.

And MWO has pretty much burned me on ever doing another "crowdfunding" thing for a video game.

Too many promises, too little delivery. "Fool me once, shame on, uh... fool me twice, and, uh... well you can't get fooled again. Heheheheh." :D

#97 Multitallented

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 697 posts
  • Locationright behind you (figuratively)

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:07 AM

The difference in communication from the 2 companies is enormous. Sure SC doesn't have anything playable yet but we've seen the content and the progress. I haven't seen anything on community warfare or anything I was hoping for in MWO for that matter (I'm not exaggerating--the game was nice when I joined and it's only gone downhill).

#98 Kraven Kor

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:13 AM

"The Game is still fun." Mechs and effects are all great. Maps are largely beautiful if a bit unpolished regarding getting stuck on stuff right now. I don't even have massive issues regarding the general balance complaints.

But I mostly just play to stay in practice at this point (if you can call my piloting "practiced" :D)

Just no more money without more communication on the key upcoming features and content.

#99 King Arthur IV

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:47 AM

are we going to travel around planet doing business in mechs? will we get a cargo mech? or maybe a battle fortress mech?

#100 Kraven Kor

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:54 AM

View PostKing Arthur IV, on 09 July 2013 - 09:47 AM, said:

are we going to travel around planet doing business in mechs? will we get a cargo mech? or maybe a battle fortress mech?

No. We know this will not be "WoW with Giant Robots."

But, the particulars on Community Warfare are critical to continued interest and support in the game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users