• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationA hop, skip and jump from Terra

Posted 23 May 2014 - 11:59 AM

View PostWarHippy, on 23 May 2014 - 06:55 AM, said:

Sorry, but neither of you are Aidan Pryde or any other lore character in a novel that are shown having performed amazing feats that have an effect on the universe for dramatic effect while telling a story. We are all just nameless grunts. That being said from a gaming perspective things effecting your faction shouldn't be decided by random individuals, but rather by the organized effort of the units representing your faction. Sure, you can be praised for your individual actions, but your individual actions are no more than one tiny piece of a much bigger puzzle.

I'm not Aidan Pryde? Wait, huh? Since when?!?!? I want my money back!

Seriously, though, what makes a faction unit any different than a mercenary or lone wolf? They are all made up of random individuals, and it takes much more to become famous as a Mercenary or Lone Wolf than it does in a faction, simply because the odds are against you with little to no support and resources in comparison.

On a similar note, there is a reason that the US Army adopted the slogan "Army of One": every individual is important to the mission, even the "grunts".

#82 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:24 PM

While in the game looking for information, I checked out the new feature.
The one where you put the mouse pointer over Play Now and see what percentage of Weight Classes are in PUG mtaches and what it recommends you take to get in quicker.
I watched for a full minute.
It always told me either LIGHTS or MEDIUMS.
This means a lot of PUG players are taking HEAVY and ASSAULT.
If ( ;) ) 3/3/3/3 works sometime, that bigger group of HEAVY and ASSAULT players will be getting the boot when looking for matches.
The Rage / QQ will continue because sometimes people do not want to change Mechs, they will want to play what they choose.
Another item to add to the list of why 3/3/3/3 will not work.

#83 Cimarb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationA hop, skip and jump from Terra

Posted 23 May 2014 - 07:49 PM

View PostMerchant, on 23 May 2014 - 02:24 PM, said:

While in the game looking for information, I checked out the new feature.
The one where you put the mouse pointer over Play Now and see what percentage of Weight Classes are in PUG mtaches and what it recommends you take to get in quicker.
I watched for a full minute.
It always told me either LIGHTS or MEDIUMS.
This means a lot of PUG players are taking HEAVY and ASSAULT.
If ( ;) ) 3/3/3/3 works sometime, that bigger group of HEAVY and ASSAULT players will be getting the boot when looking for matches.
The Rage / QQ will continue because sometimes people do not want to change Mechs, they will want to play what they choose.
Another item to add to the list of why 3/3/3/3 will not work.

We are likely in different Elo buckets, but in whatever bucket I am in, it is quite balanced, with the "pick this" class changing amongst all four classes every 5-6 seconds regularly. While there are spikes up to 30-40 percent and down to the teens, these are quickly leveled back out and the percentages are in the mid-20s on average.

#84 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:03 PM

View PostCimarb, on 23 May 2014 - 07:49 PM, said:

We are likely in different Elo buckets

That could be time of play related as well

#85 DestructShawn

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 04:37 AM

i think 3\3\3\3 is pretty fun and balanced, knowing that the matches will be balanced does make me happier to bring a medium mech.

The next step is to reconcile the "pre mades" with the pugs. i think i have to again echo what has been said many times on this forum that this is NOT a matchmaker issue, but rather a missing built-in voice issue. if you would give the pugs a way to communicate with each other, they could stand up to the pre-mades. Whatever girly men are whining about someone cursing at someone else need to get smacked down, that happens now over the chat and it's something the admins can regulate when necessary. Give the pugs voice and you could throw them in with the pre-mades.

Another idea is to give the lance or commander a way to designate or call out a target so focus fire can be done without voice. Maybe that would be enough to let them compete with pre-mades.

#86 The Great Unwashed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 26 May 2014 - 04:44 AM

View PostDestructShawn, on 26 May 2014 - 04:37 AM, said:

Another idea is to give the lance or commander a way to designate or call out a target so focus fire can be done without voice. Maybe that would be enough to let them compete with pre-mades.

Yes, give the lock of your lance mates a different colour (only when your lance mates have a direct lock and do not piggy back the lock of a different lance). You wouldn't even need to talk anymore and just shoot, e.g., the orange lockée. This would be very efficient even with VOIP.

Also, I'd like to see each (friendly) lance as a different colour on the minimap, not just your own lance. Makings following Alpha lance a bit more easier for the observant PUG.

Edited by The Great Unwashed, 26 May 2014 - 06:34 AM.

#87 Shiro Matsumoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 492 posts
  • Locationon "The island"

Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:28 AM

What about...

-Community warfare
-Clan allegiance
-New maps

#88 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:29 AM

View PostJohn McFianna, on 26 May 2014 - 05:28 AM, said:

What about...

-Community warfare
-Clan allegiance
-New maps

LOSTECH

#89 John Norad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 524 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:33 AM

View PostApnu, on 23 May 2014 - 08:53 AM, said:

I have no idea what Russ is talking about. Showing the numbers isn't affecting player behavior.

Ah well, I don't know for sure. Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't.
I think it does give an interesting and helpful hint. As long as all weight classes are fun to play and offer the same incentive, I personally don't mind switching mechs to get shorter wait times, so it might indeed be a good extra.
However..
I'm not quite sure that all classes do offer the same incentive at the moment. So maybe that should be worked on first.
More distinctive roles, more distinctive maps and objectives that make roles meaningful and important.
But hey, map design and game-modes as part of balancing.. that's something I advocated a long time ago. Apparently it wasn't part of THEIR vision of the game, though. What a pity.

#90 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:34 AM

View PostCimarb, on 23 May 2014 - 07:49 PM, said:

We are likely in different Elo buckets, but in whatever bucket I am in, it is quite balanced, with the "pick this" class changing amongst all four classes every 5-6 seconds regularly. While there are spikes up to 30-40 percent and down to the teens, these are quickly leveled back out and the percentages are in the mid-20s on average.

Possibly. Still, no matter what time I go on, that is what I get, always Lights and Mediums recommended. Found it hysterical yesterday, had 3 matches in a row where it recommended Lights, took an Assault and had 5+ Lights every time just on my team.

View PostJohn McFianna, on 26 May 2014 - 05:28 AM, said:

What about...

-Community warfare
-Clan allegiance
-New maps

Maps, I would rather they wait until other features are in. Some things have taken too long.

#91 Belorion

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:41 AM

3/3/3/3 can stay out of the game as far as I am concerned. People may like the idea now, but they won't.

#92 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:48 AM

View PostBelorion, on 26 May 2014 - 05:41 AM, said:

3/3/3/3 can stay out of the game as far as I am concerned. People may like the idea now, but they won't.

You mean like all those people who wanted "Skirmish" mode until their first match where they spent 7 minutes hunting a powered down spider, only to have the match end in a tie? (in the only game I know of on the planet where a tie is worse than a loss)

#93 ScorpionNinja

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 170 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 06:10 AM

I'm so happy that SUMMER is finally here!!!

Motorcycle Riding Season has Offically BEGUN!!!

So that means I will be out RIDING my NINJA instead . . . <_<

#94 Blanco

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3 posts
  • LocationTampa

Posted 26 May 2014 - 06:39 AM

I'm glad that they are working to get the MM working smoothly. The weight class indicator is a great idea, and I actively use it to decide if I should play lights or heavies. Once 3/3/3/3 is active I expect the game to be even better. Looking forward to CW.

#95 John Norad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 524 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 06:44 AM

Btw. can we just call it 4x3 or something else that's less awkward than 3/3/3/3?

Edited by John Norad, 26 May 2014 - 06:46 AM.

#96 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 06:46 AM

View PostJohn Norad, on 26 May 2014 - 06:44 AM, said:

Btw. can we just call it 4x3 or something else that's less awkward than 3/3/3/3?

4xFail?

#97 John Norad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 524 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 06:52 AM

View PostRoadbeer, on 26 May 2014 - 06:46 AM, said:

4xFail?

Hm, tbh I was thinking of something along the lines of 'Lance based matchmaking', LMM, LBMM, 'Class based matchmaking', CBMM, 4x3, etc., but if your take on it gets the majority vote, I guess it'll work as well.

Everything's better than watching someone repeatedly saying "three, three, three, three" in a devblog. That really makes me cringe.

Edited by John Norad, 26 May 2014 - 06:56 AM.

#98 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 26 May 2014 - 07:31 AM

Yes I read ...Reddit, Nikolai, and now the entire community, has concrete proof of how Russ will call white, black and blue, green to justify failure on the companies part.

let me explain

Find the part where he talks about community warfare and how, its definately going to be in this..AUTUMN, thats fall, for Americans, he then goes on to say, that people have to understand that Autumn means right up to the 21st of December.

This statement says two things.

He all ready knows its not going to make the promised October date (which is Autumn b.t.w) so is all ready shooting the breeze and.

He lives on a world of his creation, as the 21st of December is the winter solstice of as everyone but Russ seems to know is Midwinter, it has been midwinter before Islam and Christianity, and will remain midwinter until the world ends or P.G.I hit a deadline on time and without bugs.

Don't worry about trying to explain that Autumn really means fourth quarter, I'm seriously not interested in waiting for a feature that was going to be October, which is now magically going to be December, nearly two years late

Edited by Cathy, 26 May 2014 - 07:35 AM.

#99 Zolaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 26 May 2014 - 07:33 AM

I dont even worry about Russ says anymore. He is going to implement some abortion of an idea and the white knights will shout it to the heavens. There wont be CW or any of the other pillars that Paul and crew have been promising for years now.

The problem with MM is that it doesnt do its job. You do not have similar teams or comparable teams matched up together. That is because the MM is PGI's last horrible attempt at giving you "fair" matches.

As for people who think that one person makes a difference? lol Unless you have a KDR of 5 or 6 you arent Kai Allard-Liao. And as far as an "Army of One", go slap a general and see how important you are. I rarely see awesome pilots in this game. Most people would barely make requirements to be in a line unit, much less be a hero from the books.

#100 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 26 May 2014 - 07:37 AM

View PostScorpionNinja, on 26 May 2014 - 06:10 AM, said:

I'm so happy that SUMMER is finally here!!!

Motorcycle Riding Season has Offically BEGUN!!!

So that means I will be out RIDING my NINJA instead . . . <_<

I thought Ninja were legendary asassins not well you know...that way inclined, as you can't mean motorbike as real bikers aren't scared of foul weather :D

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users