Clan Wolf Suffering "good Guy" Syndrome

124 replies to this topic

#1 HellFox83

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • 48 posts
  • LocationThe FoxDen

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:39 AM

What is "Good Guy" Syndrome? This is the behavior I have noted of players joining a faction simply because they are the perceived good guys of a series or game. Clan wolf since Mechwarrior 2 has been noted as the "good" clan out of the clans. But this reputation and belief about them unfortunately has caused a surge of players joining Clan Wolf that are really not that great. In fact much of them are rabble, that often times cause a defeat for a team more than anything.

This behavior as I noted is nothing new, in Planetside 2 when it launched many players joined NC since they were "freedom fighters" fighting against religious extremism (VS), or military tyranny (TR). Even farther back I am sure WoW had a bunch of people join Alliance with the belief of them being good guys.

Unfortunately it means that Clan Wolf's reputation as a faction will be seen as kind of a joke. When me and my friends see a bunch of Clan Wolf guys, we go, " Oh look we have 8 Clan Wolf guys on our team. Anyone want to take a bet on how fast we'll lose this?" Each time we've seen a large number of Clan Wolf guys on a team they have not done well at all.

So I guess the joke is, you see 1 Clan Wolf guy he must be a badass or at least know what hes doing. You see a bunch of them and you expect a shoddy performance. The exact opposite of what you would expect from a pack of wolves.

Why does this matter? Well not really, just noting a behavior through the years of playing these games involving factions and really as a Wolf from Mechwarrior 2 myself, seeing my Clan's name go down as a joke is kind of....sad really...but oh well such is the ebb and flow of videogames.

#2 darkkterror

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:40 AM

I picked Clan Wolf because I liked the picture.

#3 Bobzilla

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,003 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:44 AM

View PostHellFox83, on 10 June 2014 - 10:39 AM, said:

What is "Good Guy" Syndrome? This is the behavior I have noted of players joining a faction simply because they are the perceived good guys of a series or game. Clan wolf since Mechwarrior 2 has been noted as the "good" clan out of the clans. But this reputation and belief about them unfortunately has caused a surge of players joining Clan Wolf that are really not that great. In fact much of them are rabble, that often times cause a defeat for a team more than anything.

This behavior as I noted is nothing new, in Planetside 2 when it launched many players joined NC since they were "freedom fighters" fighting against religious extremism (VS), or military tyranny (TR). Even farther back I am sure WoW had a bunch of people join Alliance with the belief of them being good guys.

Unfortunately it means that Clan Wolf's reputation as a faction will be seen as kind of a joke. When me and my friends see a bunch of Clan Wolf guys, we go, " Oh look we have 8 Clan Wolf guys on our team. Anyone want to take a bet on how fast we'll lose this?" Each time we've seen a large number of Clan Wolf guys on a team they have not done well at all.

So I guess the joke is, you see 1 Clan Wolf guy he must be a badass or at least know what hes doing. You see a bunch of them and you expect a shoddy performance. The exact opposite of what you would expect from a pack of wolves.

Why does this matter? Well not really, just noting a behavior through the years of playing these games involving factions and really as a Wolf from Mechwarrior 2 myself, seeing my Clan's name go down as a joke is kind of....sad really...but oh well such is the ebb and flow of videogames.

You realize you are playing a game that a lot of people see as a joke, even some that play it. If you are worried about image, you should pick a different game all together.

#4 Livewyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:48 AM

Clan Wolf:
A: Timberwolf and Dire Wolf mechs.
B: Kerensky's own.
C: The clan least likely to suffer Lore/Custom based manipulation.
D: Eventually divides into Jade Wolves->Wolves and Wolves in Exile, where I will reside.

#5 Diablobo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,014 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:52 AM

My name is Diablobo of Clan Wolf. I challenge Hellfox83 to a Trial of Grievance for his impudent words. I will meet the surat on the field of battle and show him that he is dezgra who is unworthy to speak Clan Wolf's name.

#6 Livewyr

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:53 AM

View PostDiablobo, on 10 June 2014 - 10:52 AM, said:

My name is Diablobo of Clan Wolf. I challenge Hellfox83 to a Trial of Grievance for his impudent words. I will meet the surat on the field of battle and show him that he is dezgra who is unworthy to speak Clan Wolf's name.

I have premium, and would be fully committed to facilitating and observing this Trial.

#7 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:57 AM

Nope. PGI balanced the character between all the factions, so now none of them have any character. Balance!

Seriously. Factions don't matter at all in the game. There's no connection between one game and the next.

#8 Belorion

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:58 AM

Joining Clan Wolf and being bad, will help the IS beat Clan Wolf in their corridor, thereby they will achieve their goal of being good, by letting the IS win in that corridor.

I call that a win win situation.

#9 Ursh

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationMother Russia

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:58 AM

Anyone who bothered to read the Jade Falcon series first has always known that Clan Wolf are slimy traitors.

#10 HellFox83

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • 48 posts
  • LocationThe FoxDen

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:59 AM

View PostBobzilla, on 10 June 2014 - 10:44 AM, said:

You realize you are playing a game that a lot of people see as a joke, even some that play it. If you are worried about image, you should pick a different game all together.

Oh yes, mostly just pointing out that if you see a bunch of Clan wolf they will probably fail...pretty hard. Ya see that's partly why I hate text, sarcasm and underlying tone of voice are lost in translation.

View PostDiablobo, on 10 June 2014 - 10:52 AM, said:

As an Inner Sphere house Mech pilot now we don't adhere to trials. If you want to settle it we'll meet on the field. Or...maybe we won't it all lies in the hands of the Match Maker.

#11 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:02 AM

Thing is, the rest of those clans are more or less jokes... take those birdies... their only hero is a guy who had to cheat his way to warrior and he became famous when... he died.

#12 xMintaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 882 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:05 AM

So... like Davion for the IS?

*flame retardant suit, online*

#13 Diablobo

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,014 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:10 AM

View PostHellFox83, on 10 June 2014 - 10:59 AM, said:

As an Inner Sphere house Mech pilot now we don't adhere to trials. If you want to settle it we'll meet on the field. Or...maybe we won't it all lies in the hands of the Match Maker.

<roleplaying mode>

I see. You claimed to be a Wolf in the past, and have turned traitor to join the Inner Sphere scum. You are most definitely not worthy of a trial. You will be shot on sight by any true warrior.

Edited by Diablobo, 10 June 2014 - 11:14 AM.

#14 Monsoon

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,631 posts
  • LocationToronto, On aka Kathil

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:10 AM

View PostLunatech, on 10 June 2014 - 11:05 AM, said:

So... like Davion for the IS?

*flame retardant suit, online*

Nah, they're mostly all good, with elements of corruption here and there....except the Capellan Confederation, they're pretty much all scum. ^_^

#15 Ryvucz

Zunrith

• 2,839 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, Colorado

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:18 AM

View PostHellFox83, on 10 June 2014 - 10:39 AM, said:

Did you just decide to [REDACTED] on a lot of players just because?

Bit elitist isn't it?

#16 Archon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:19 AM

View PostUrsh, on 10 June 2014 - 10:58 AM, said:

Anyone who bothered to read the Jade Falcon series first has always known that Clan Wolf are slimy traitors.

The Falcons and other Crusader dezgra are the true traitors to Kerensky's vision.

#17 HellFox83

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • 48 posts
  • LocationThe FoxDen

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:24 AM

View PostDiablobo, on 10 June 2014 - 11:10 AM, said:

<roleplaying mode>
I see. You claimed to be a Wolf in the past, and have turned traitor to join the Inner Sphere scum. You are most definitely not worthy of a trial. You will be shot on sight by any true warrior.

Ah a "true" warrior, spoken as a proud wolf should. But what say you of the surge of pups who have yet to even prove themselves being sent to the front lines? Has Clan Wolf needed forces so badly that they have forgotten the trials or have they resorted to using the "lowly freebirths" that they have captured and use them as shock troops that can accomplish little!

Clan Wolf used to be the pride of the Clans....now it is mockery of what it was. After seeing this and realizing that the Crusaders have won, I couldn't stay with the Clan. I couldn't continue my original mission, the Great Houses could easily band together again if we attacked them now. But the Crusaders would not hear of it, in their impatience it will mean the end of us. So I choose to not be a part of this madness, better to fight for those with sense even, with their imperfections, than to join a mad crusade to ruin!

View PostRyvucz, on 10 June 2014 - 11:18 AM, said:

Did you just decide to [REDACTED] on a lot of players just because?

Bit elitist isn't it?

It is, but sometimes ya gotta poke the bear in order to get some discussion going. Besides its an observation of a trend, which most likely will fade in time as most trends do.

#18 Alexandrix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 910 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:39 AM

The wolves are the good guys?

#19 Livewyr

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:41 AM

View PostArchon, on 10 June 2014 - 11:19 AM, said:

The Falcons and other Crusader dezgra are the true traitors to Kerensky's vision.

And they paid for it, by being out-played in every regard by the Wolves.
Wolves were narrowly defeated in the Trial of Refusal.. by 4 to 1 odds.
Wolves did Revival better than the others, even while being against the idea, because they planned ahead.
Wolves did Tukayyid FAR better than the others, because they planned ahead.
2/3rds of the Wolf Clan lost to the entirety of Jade Falcons (including a dishonorable ending of the ilKahn.) and 2/3rds of the Wolf clan left them unable to pursue Revival.

Kerensky's vision was to show the inner sphere a better way, and to protect them, as the SLDF did before, and in, leaving. Invasion and Subjugation was not in his vision, Clan Wolf, among many others knew that. Jade Falcon, in their blind savagery unbecoming of Kerensky's ideals, lost sight of that. Clan Wolf was a traitor to Jade Falcon, true, but Jade Falcon was a traitor to Kerensky's clans.

#20 General Taskeen

• 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:46 AM

Clan Wolverine Minnesota Clan is Best.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users