Is It Me Or Have My Fellow Mechwarriors Gotten More Ill-Mannered?

Social

180 replies to this topic

#41 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:29 PM

View PostYokaiko, on 22 June 2014 - 07:26 PM, said:

Yes it does.

F2Ps are straight up cash grabs...all of them. This one can't even come up with the BASICS of creating a community. All they had to do is NOT **** it up.

......we still don't have a damn lobby.

again, I just think that has less to do with the F2P model and more to do with PGI
SWTOR
Star Trek Online
DCUO
Warthunder
WoT

I could continue the list. Those games don't suffer from this problem. Warthunder, SWTOR, and DCUO all had those kinds of rudimentary features in place before launching.

#42 Jack Corban

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 560 posts
  • LocationPort Arthur

View PostSandpit, on 22 June 2014 - 07:24 PM, said:

I just don't agree with that. F2P has nothing to do with it. It has to do with the community itself. What causes a LOT of the friction is people on here tend to take things personally. This is especially true when someone posts something critical of PGI and/or MWO so then they take it to a personal level instead of actually discussing how to improve the game

Sandpit they done F'ed it up and until they done unF'ed it up there will be no peace on here. And i will certainly never stop my righteous JIHAD against whiteknights and knownothings and naysayers and all the other lowlifes i adressed in my earlier post.

Edited by Jack Corban, 22 June 2014 - 07:37 PM.

#43 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

(I used those 3 as examples because I know they did because I played in them before commercial launch)

#44 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:33 PM

View PostJack Corban, on 22 June 2014 - 07:29 PM, said:

Sandpit they done F'ed it up and until they done unF'ed it up there will be no peace on here. And i will certainly never stop my righteous JIHAD against whiteknights and nonothings and naysaysers ans all the other lowlifes i adressed in my earlier post.

Now here's where I disagree.

That kind of mentality gets you quickly ignored. I agree with your sentiment, just not the tactics. I'm just as frustrated as anyone else with MWO at the moment but I honestly believe the only way to get that changed is by holding PGI more accountable and getting more people to understand why we're upset and how to make us happy customers again.

When you start with comments like you mentioned it's very easy for those supporters to get you and your ideas dismissed as a troll, which generally means locked, deleted, and jettisoned threads. Even if you have the greatest idea ever that would solve every problem with MWO and PGI, if you come at people and the company like that, they're not going to listen.

Again, I completely understand the frustration and anger but if you want ANY hope of getting changes made you have to be tactful. I'm living proof that you can be extremely critical of PGI and MWO and NOT get banned, deleted, etc. because you have to be able to do it without all the animosity. (do what I do, save it for K Town and then unload on the threads down there)

#45 SirLANsalot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:38 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 22 June 2014 - 06:37 PM, said:

Posted Image

They will NEVER live it down.

Thing is, you were only lied to if you took any ESTIMATION or even statment of a "release date for XX feature" at face value. Everyone here by now should be old enough, and experienced enough to know when a company says "XX will be here in 90days/180days ect ect" to treat it AS AN ESTIMATION. If they miss said deadline, then you should understand that development time is always longer then anyone is ever going to think XX feature should take. If they DO make the deadline, then you praise them to no end for actually making it (like UI 2.0) on time. However DO be careful for what you wish for, when XX feature makes said deadline, it quite often (always) is buggy (again UI 2.0).

So would you rather.....
A: Have things come out when XX is said to come out, but be buggy and half working.

OR

B: Miss the deadline, but have the feature come out nearly bug free and fully working.

You cannot have both, it is ONE or the OTHER with game development.

I am one of the "old ones" from CB, who has constantly stood to correct the idiots who think PGI is the devil.

#46 Reported for Inappropriate Name

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationAmericlap

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:38 PM

View PostSandpit, on 22 June 2014 - 07:24 PM, said:

I just don't agree with that. F2P has nothing to do with it. It has to do with the community itself. What causes a LOT of the friction is people on here tend to take things personally. This is especially true when someone posts something critical of PGI and/or MWO so then they take it to a personal level instead of actually discussing how to improve the game

when you don't have to invest in something you don't take it as seriously, with nothing to lose you can turn into a real jerk, and there's no reason for you to actually take it seriously. After all you're getting it for free so where's the incentive to not be an ass hat?

note I am not justifying spending money or implying those that do are somehow superior to those that don't. i'm saying when the entire game is pay gated people are more likely to take it seriously and be decent human beings because the requirement for playing is pre-paying for time.

as far as forums go, forums never change. This is where all the people who aren't playing the game collect, and since people who don't like the game but still feel entitled to an opinion due to their time investment are not playing the game, usually all you get is concentrated filth with decent individuals few and far in between. The effect is just magnified in free to play games because the base player demographic is usually larger and loaded with elements you don't typically see in a pay to play game. Namely the people who wouldn't spend money on a pay to play game because "those guys are ******** this game is stupid" who then come to a free to play game and whine on the forums about how your game is stupid and the developers are terrible, because they are allowed to develop a time investment. I like to call them internet gypsies.

Edited by Battlecruiser, 22 June 2014 - 07:50 PM.

#47 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:39 PM

View PostYokaiko, on 22 June 2014 - 07:26 PM, said:

Yes it does.

F2Ps are straight up cash grabs...all of them. This one can't even come up with the BASICS of creating a community. All they had to do is NOT **** it up.

......we still don't have a damn lobby.

We got this funny error message once that someone turned into a gif.

Posted Image

#48 Flyby215

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 892 posts
  • LocationThunder Bay

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:43 PM

(WRT to original post) I'm always happy to help new players or offer advice... and normally I try to be as friendly/personable as possible. Albeit, I admit, I do slip from time to time when I get onto those wicked loss-streaks.

However, it angers me so much when I'm trying to offer advice and I get shot back at with "shut-up noob" "don't talk to me you're dead" "ggclose" etc..

I'm a huge fan of Mechwarrior... I have been since I first played Mechwarrior 2 back in '95. I've read a few of the books, I've played [most] of the games, I even have a DosBox version of Mechwarrior 2 Mercs on my laptop as I type this. At over 10,000 matches played in MWO, you'd better believe I enjoy the game. Altough, granted, I understand why many are disillusioned. Lack of role warfare, lack of community warfare, boating/poptarting dominant over balanced builds, just to name a few of the commonly complained topics.

Hey, it's hard being a nice guy sometimes. A lot of us falter from time to time, but don't lose hope!

#49 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:43 PM

View PostSirLANsalot, on 22 June 2014 - 07:38 PM, said:

Thing is, you were only lied to if you took any ESTIMATION or even statment of a "release date for XX feature" at face value. Everyone here by now should be old enough, and experienced enough to know when a company says "XX will be here in 90days/180days ect ect" to treat it AS AN ESTIMATION. If they miss said deadline, then you should understand that development time is always longer then anyone is ever going to think XX feature should take. If they DO make the deadline, then you praise them to no end for actually making it (like UI 2.0) on time. However DO be careful for what you wish for, when XX feature makes said deadline, it quite often (always) is buggy (again UI 2.0).

So would you rather.....
A: Have things come out when XX is said to come out, but be buggy and half working.

OR

B: Miss the deadline, but have the feature come out nearly bug free and fully working.

You cannot have both, it is ONE or the OTHER with game development.

I am one of the "old ones" from CB, who has constantly stood to correct the idiots who think PGI is the devil.

lol no.

Posted Image

Deny the lies all you want, but they were still lies, like when Bryan held his powerpoint presentation at the launch party that CW was totally in development and would be out in 30 days with loyalty points, then Russ said in december that CW had not even been started yet, and we'd not get loyalty points until fall 2014 - then he said that fall ends december 21st on twitter.

#50 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:49 PM

Thing is, you were only lied to if you took any ESTIMATION or even statment of a "release date for XX feature" at face value. Everyone here by now should be old enough, and experienced enough to know when a company says "XX will be here in 90days/180days ect ect" to treat it AS AN ESTIMATION.

uhm
3PV "We will not implement it"
3PV "We will not force anyone to play against it"

Group Limits are "temporary"

UI2.0 will be the highest priority until it is working seamlessly

"We will never use things like cool shot"

I could go on and on with stuff that has nothing to do with release dates...

#51 CycKath

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,580 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:50 PM

View PostFlyby215, on 22 June 2014 - 07:43 PM, said:

(WRT to original post) I'm always happy to help new players or offer advice... and normally I try to be as friendly/personable as possible. Albeit, I admit, I do slip from time to time when I get onto those wicked loss-streaks.

However, it angers me so much when I'm trying to offer advice and I get shot back at with "shut-up noob" "don't talk to me you're dead" "ggclose" etc..

I'm a huge fan of Mechwarrior... I have been since I first played Mechwarrior 2 back in '95. I've read a few of the books, I've played [most] of the games, I even have a DosBox version of Mechwarrior 2 Mercs on my laptop as I type this. At over 10,000 matches played in MWO, you'd better believe I enjoy the game. Altough, granted, I understand why many are disillusioned. Lack of role warfare, lack of community warfare, boating/poptarting dominant over balanced builds, just to name a few of the commonly complained topics.

Hey, it's hard being a nice guy sometimes. A lot of us falter from time to time, but don't lose hope!

This. So very much THIS.

The release of the Clans has brought out the absolute worst in the in-game community in my opinion. Don't know if its all the people that just didn't/wouldn't play until Clans arrived being so abusive or angry in general, or people getting ticked off playing Clanners or what, just so much ranting and screaming at both the opposition and team-mates :D

#52 Sephlock

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:50 PM

View PostSandpit, on 22 June 2014 - 07:29 PM, said:

again, I just think that has less to do with the F2P model and more to do with PGI
SWTOR
Star Trek Online
DCUO
Warthunder
WoT

I could continue the list. Those games don't suffer from this problem. Warthunder, SWTOR, and DCUO all had those kinds of rudimentary features in place before launching.

Didn't the first three all fail and HAVE TO go F2P?

And does anyone know if they ever continued the Lex Luthor storyline? Last I heard he met himself from the future in some warehouse.

#53 SirLANsalot

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:54 PM

View PostSandpit, on 22 June 2014 - 07:49 PM, said:

uhm
3PV "We will not implement it"
3PV "We will not force anyone to play against it"

Group Limits are "temporary"

UI2.0 will be the highest priority until it is working seamlessly

"We will never use things like cool shot"

I could go on and on with stuff that has nothing to do with release dates...

So then we must do a witch hunt every time a company changes its stance on core design features.

Oh and look....no one is running around in 3pv doing poptarting like all the fearmongering that was going on during the whole thing. The fears of MW4 never came to pass, because, unlike how most of you think, PGI actually is smart.

Note: They can only lie to you, if you believe them.

Edited by SirLANsalot, 22 June 2014 - 07:55 PM.

#54 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:56 PM

View PostSephlock, on 22 June 2014 - 07:50 PM, said:

Didn't the first three all fail and HAVE TO go F2P?

And does anyone know if they ever continued the Lex Luthor storyline? Last I heard he met himself from the future in some warehouse.

No, DCUO was actually doing fine, one of the driving reasons behind the F2P model was porting to consoles and that still doesn't explain away the rest of those games :D
and
Yes, the Luthor/Batman storyline is pretty good actually. Almost as good as the Injustice storyline. (which is you haven't read I would highly recommend)
I still play DCUO from time to time. I have the lifetime subscription so I get all the expansions for free and such.

#55 Armored Yokai

• IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 1,950 posts
  • LocationHouston,TX

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:58 PM

Okay sandpit posting a history lesson to the
"Newcomers" was a VERY bad idea because now we are headed off into a huge direction of the past instead of the general attitudes of players

#56 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:58 PM

View PostSirLANsalot, on 22 June 2014 - 07:54 PM, said:

uhm

Thing is, you were only lied to if you took any ESTIMATION or even statment of a "release date for XX feature" at face value.

so which is it?
"I can only be lied to if I believed and estimation of release dates"

ok...
again, you made a statement that simply wasn't true, I showed examples of it, now those don't count?

#57 Sephlock

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:00 PM

View PostSandpit, on 22 June 2014 - 07:56 PM, said:

No, DCUO was actually doing fine, one of the driving reasons behind the F2P model was porting to consoles and that still doesn't explain away the rest of those games :D
and
Yes, the Luthor/Batman storyline is pretty good actually. Almost as good as the Injustice storyline. (which is you haven't read I would highly recommend)
I still play DCUO from time to time. I have the lifetime subscription so I get all the expansions for free and such.

Have there been any more sweet cutscenes since the "met in a warehouse" one?

#58 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:01 PM

View PostArmored Yokai, on 22 June 2014 - 07:58 PM, said:

Okay sandpit posting a history lesson to the
"Newcomers" was a VERY bad idea because now we are headed off into a huge direction of the past instead of the general attitudes of players

no, I was giving a history lesson to explain WHY some are mad. This wasn't a single issue or a few weeks or months. This took years of consistently having "position at time" moments and flat out lies.

Telling players CW is xx days out knowing full well you haven't even started on it because you're waiting to see what happens with the license extension over the course of a year is lying or at the VERY best deceptive business practices. Either way, it was just to show that this didn't just happen over night. This was a lengthy process of a company consistently doing things like this over the course of 2 years.

View PostSephlock, on 22 June 2014 - 08:00 PM, said:

Have there been any more sweet cutscenes since the "met in a warehouse" one?

most of them are up on youtube IIRC, the cutscenes are one of the best parts of that particular game IMHO

#59 Wolfways

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:04 PM

So then we must do a witch hunt every time a company changes its stance on core design features.

Oh and look....no one is running around in 3pv doing poptarting like all the fearmongering that was going on during the whole thing. The fears of MW4 never came to pass, because, unlike how most of you think, PGI actually is smart.

Wasting time and resources is smart? :D

#60 Armored Yokai

• IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 1,950 posts
  • LocationHouston,TX

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:06 PM

View PostSandpit, on 22 June 2014 - 08:01 PM, said:

no, I was giving a history lesson to explain WHY some are mad. This wasn't a single issue or a few weeks or months. This took years of consistently having "position at time" moments and flat out lies.

oh, okay i understand!

38 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 38 guests, 0 anonymous users