Please Remove Obstacles (Boulders Sticking Out Everywhere, Low Tiny Buildings, Icebergs And Tow Cars Away)

83 replies to this topic

#61 Lazor Sharp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 353 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:45 AM

just give me a rear view mirror, or a button like MW4's rear view, so i can see what is behind me when i am backing up.......

that is so frustrating to back into something while being shot at, and i cant see what it is, or where to turn to, to avoid it......

#62 Ursh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationMother Russia

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:54 AM

Even the smallest mechs have vast weight and material strength differences between themselves and the objects that are stopping them.

Real immersion would be stomping the one story building flat to get it out of your way, or simply stepping on top of the two meter high boulder that you can't see when you're right next to it.

#63 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:55 AM

View PostUrsh, on 22 July 2014 - 11:54 AM, said:

Even the smallest mechs have vast weight and material strength differences between themselves and the objects that are stopping them.

Real immersion would be stomping the one story building flat to get it out of your way, or simply stepping on top of the two meter high boulder that you can't see when you're right next to it.

And then possibly fall due to a failed piloting skill chance.

#64 Prezimonto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 2,017 posts
  • LocationKufstein FRR

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:22 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 22 July 2014 - 11:40 AM, said:

You ever trip over a foot stool? How much do they weigh in comparison to you? I don't disagree with you to much, but your giant walking tank is meant to have your sense of balance linked into its movement, as such stuff should foul up its movement as it may or may not mess up a walking or running person... Just a realllllllly big person.

This is actually a major complaint I've had with this game from the beginning. The movement of mechs is too smooth across all terrain, both inside the cockpit and the stabilization of weapons. I would like my mech to swagger, stagger, fumble, bumble, and generally feel like I'm inside an 80 ton WALKING death machine with 5 different weapons systems tied to variety of semi-fixed and highly mobile positions.

Watch the arms of the Atlas, they wobble a bit with each step. It looks cool, it looks like the mech is auto-correcting, but it's not instantaneous.

Or when the mech gets hit at about 1:30, and visibly staggers and halts forward progress. That's mimicked by some screen shake, but it doesn't FEEL like that's what's happening in the cockpit.

Last note: about about 50 seconds I want that missile detection system back instead of the generic "warning incoming missiles" have the targeting computer actually light up and track projectiles (incoming and outgoing) with different colors.

Edited by Prezimonto, 22 July 2014 - 01:22 PM.

#65 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:35 PM

View PostFupDup, on 22 June 2014 - 11:22 PM, said:

Blame the stupidly overpunitive slope movement system.

http://mwomercs.com/...ement-behavior/

The should just get rid of it.

#66 COOL HANDS

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 158 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee Wisconsin

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:43 PM

I don't think it would be very fun with a flat landscape. I don't mind the obstacles me personally.

Posted Image

#67 Ngamok

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:25 PM

Only thing that really kills me is the Kerensky statues on River City by the citadel. You can't walk over them just like you couldn't walk over the man himself.

#68 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 12 September 2014 - 03:18 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 21 July 2014 - 06:41 PM, said:

Yes... Cause War zones are such uncluttered places! :rolleyes:

Id just like some continuity, either all fallen mech carcasses on the ground are unmovable impassable object like those on the slope of Terra(or elsewhere) or remove the hitbox of those on the ground like the carcases we leave behind when we die. Feel free to add continuity to the rest of the game where you see fit.

#69 Almeras

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 294 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 12 September 2014 - 03:36 PM

the Oscars on river city...

#70 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 12 September 2014 - 03:53 PM

MW4 got this much more "right".

Get hung up on a car/building for a second while your mech smashes it, not get "frozen" on it and railed by enemy fire trying to "get unstuck".

I also hate how I can't even shoot through trees on htese maps.

#71 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 12 September 2014 - 04:20 PM

I'm sorry, but this issue is the definition of L2P. If you got stuck up against something, it's because YOU stuck yourself up against something.

Its your responsibility to remain aware of your surroundings as best you can, what ever you miss is just chslked up to fog of war...deal with it.

It's is your responsibility to determine as best you can, what terrain is traversible, which might be if you are willing to rake the risk, and what is not. Your success in this is part of your tactical skill set as maneuver combat...some people will be good, others will suck...if you suck, focusing on being better if you think its important.

Let's be honest here, mechs shouldn't be able to traverse all terrain and obstacles. There are various reasons, some of which can be easily portrayed in game, while some others can't. It's your job as the pilot, to determine what is traversible and what's not...or take the risk to try it out.

On a side note, boulders and glaciers are likely much more resistant to mech weaponry than one might think. Don't forget, our armor is ablative and can be defeated or worn down relatively quickly by MGs...odds are, a boulder or glacier would be more resilient. Considering the amount work it takes for our weapons to eat through a ton of armor compared to a MG versus a ton of boulder or glacier, those boulders and glaciers probably would persist through several direct hits.

Edited by CocoaJin, 12 September 2014 - 04:24 PM.

#72 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 14 September 2014 - 12:34 AM

View PostCocoaJin, on 12 September 2014 - 04:20 PM, said:

I'm sorry, but this issue is the definition of L2P. If you got stuck up against something, it's because YOU stuck yourself up against something.

Sure, but it's also not an unreasonable expectation that a 15 meter tall 'Mech should be able to easily smash/crush/step over a 3 meter statue, a regular passenger car, or a pipeline that doesn't even reach the knees of the 'Mech in question.

If you consistently get hung up on the same obstacle, yes it's a L2P issue. However if you get hung up on an obstacle that there's really no reason you should get hung up on (a small rock, a car, a statue, a single tree, a lamp post, a small pipe sticking out of the ground etc etc), it's a programming issue, not a L2P issue.

#73 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 02:49 PM

View Poststjobe, on 14 September 2014 - 12:34 AM, said:

Sure, but it's also not an unreasonable expectation that a 15 meter tall 'Mech should be able to easily smash/crush/step over a 3 meter statue, a regular passenger car, or a pipeline that doesn't even reach the knees of the 'Mech in question.

If you consistently get hung up on the same obstacle, yes it's a L2P issue. However if you get hung up on an obstacle that there's really no reason you should get hung up on (a small rock, a car, a statue, a single tree, a lamp post, a small pipe sticking out of the ground etc etc), it's a programming issue, not a L2P issue.

Have you seen the foot falls of our mechs, especially the heaviest ones? If I'm remembering correctly, most mechs, if not all, have no option to clear an obstacle 20% of the mech's height. Our mechs shuffle like old men, or run chicken legged...neither style of movement allows or easily allows the mech's foot to rise above its knee. If you can't do a knee high leg movement, then you are severely limited in clearing/traversing terrain and obstacles.

Though I'd agree there are some short comings in terms of how some obstacles are modeled for traversing. But I can also understand how improving these models could bring some significant performance issues if the server has to track and update these models.

#74 Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 684 posts
  • LocationCocoa Beach, FL

Posted 14 September 2014 - 03:47 PM

I wish the environment changed during battle. Like buildings being chipped away when hit by the artillery or pillars under the bridges slowly being brought down and into a full bridge collapse. Would be pretty awesome if the environment lived the wars we did. Sure, they would reset each match but how awesome it would be to see them being brutalized like we are during each match.

#75 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 05:53 PM

View PostMoon the ****, on 14 September 2014 - 03:47 PM, said:

I wish the environment changed during battle. Like buildings being chipped away when hit by the artillery or pillars under the bridges slowly being brought down and into a full bridge collapse. Would be pretty awesome if the environment lived the wars we did. Sure, they would reset each match but how awesome it would be to see them being brutalized like we are during each match.

Agreed...like using flamers to deny an area from the enemy, to funnel units into a kill box, of using the flame, heat and smoke to screen friendly mech movements from visual and sensory sources. I mean ok, radar would still allow for locks possibly, but you couldn't aim a specific parts of the mech.

#76 ArchMage Sparrowhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 722 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 06:11 PM

View PostKain Thul, on 12 September 2014 - 03:53 PM, said:

MW4 got this much more "right".

Get hung up on a car/building for a second while your mech smashes it, not get "frozen" on it and railed by enemy fire trying to "get unstuck".

I also hate how I can't even shoot through trees on htese maps.

exactly this. Have it so the geometry collisions slow the mechs down. Hell, even let them take damage if necessary. But don't treat a parked car or the jutting corner of a building like you ran smack dab into the middle of a mountain. Slow grind, with damage. Maybe they'll need to fix the collision mechanics to do it, but that's what we need. Not the way things are now.

#77 Lyoto Machida

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 06:39 PM

View PostAUSSIETROOPER4, on 21 July 2014 - 08:46 PM, said:

Who here uses jumpjets for what they are meant for?

I don't jumpjets in their current state would clear the pipes on Caustic. True story...you might be able to get halfway up them though.

View PostAlistair Winter, on 22 July 2014 - 03:25 AM, said:

Haha! Whenever someone complains about MWO, Joseph "Grandpa Simpson" Mallan will show up to justify any apparent flaw based on analogues from real life warfare.

"My AC20 hit that Atlas square in the face and did no damage."
"You don't think there are duds in real war too?"
"Yeah, but we were already two men down due to disconnects."
"You can't always count in reinforcements in war."
"And there was a guy on our team TKing his whole lance."
"Just like when I fought Charlie in Vietnam. I never did trust those local translators."
"Such a huge mismatch, and I spent 5 minutes in the queue waiting for matchmaker to work"
"When I invaded France on D-day, I had to wait five hours in the personnel carriers."
"Finally, I got LRM'ed to death because my Jenner got stuck on some invisible terrain while jump jetting."
"A land mine blew the tracks off my M-1 Abrams when I was in Operation Desert Storm. You adapt, you survive. You overcome."

Posted Image

Posted Image

#78 Savage Sweets

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 121 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 05:10 AM

Agreed. The pipes on Caustic Valley need to have their invisible walls lowered or simply made traversable, because it is highly unlikely a quarter (or even half) of a pipe should should stop a 50+ ton, 15 meter tall mech. What is the point of joints if they don't/can't sufficiently lift the leg (or in the case of arms, lift the arm to aim)?

#79 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 28 December 2014 - 02:32 PM

View PostFupDup, on 22 June 2014 - 11:22 PM, said:

Blame the stupidly overpunitive slope movement system.

http://mwomercs.com/...ement-behavior/

Should be removed all together.
+50% player happiness
+50% player fun

#80 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 02:36 PM

Better yet, how about make most small obstacles like cars, buildings destroyable. I mean seriously, this is going to be 2015, destroyable objects in a modern game aren't that high tech...
Have cars blow up, have trees fall down, etc. Half the fun of being in a mech is busting **** up...

Edited by verybad, 28 December 2014 - 02:39 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users