114 replies to this topic

#1 Kyle Polulak

<member/>

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 584 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:18 PM

Please share your feedback on the latest Technical Update!

Spoiler

#2 Rebas Kradd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,969 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:34 PM

Thanks for all your hard work, Matt.

Anything to share on the side of destructible terrain? We saw it glimpsed in a VLOG recently...

Also, what is your role in PGI's structure? What teams and aspects do you oversee? Just curious.

Edited by Rebas Kradd, 23 June 2014 - 12:34 PM.

#3 Draconis Nagasawa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 147 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:39 PM

Development has definetly picked up!

SLI and 3D Vision

+10!

You guys are doing a fine job!

#4 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:42 PM

Thanks for the update.

Given "...the effort now shifts to focus on getting the new Matchmaker out and then onwards to Community Warfare", what's the current forecast for the introduction of Community Warfare?

#5 Prezimonto

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,017 posts
  • LocationKufstein FRR

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:48 PM

Sweet!

I'm really interested in the UI updates/fixes. That along with groups are two of my biggest issues with the state of the game.

Edited by Prezimonto, 23 June 2014 - 01:01 PM.

#6 Son of the Flood

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 397 posts
  • LocationTier 3 basement - searching for funyuns and mountain dew

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:57 PM

Good stuff Matt, thanks for the update! I appreciate you giving some explanation around the troubleshooting processes you guys go through as you are figuring things out.

Onward to CW!

#7 Gerhardt Jorgensson

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:07 PM

Thanks for the write up. Looking forward to testing the changes.

#8 Matthew Craig

Technical Director

• 867 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:08 PM

View PostRebas Kradd, on 23 June 2014 - 12:34 PM, said:

Thanks for all your hard work, Matt.

Anything to share on the side of destructible terrain? We saw it glimpsed in a VLOG recently...

Also, what is your role in PGI's structure? What teams and aspects do you oversee? Just curious.

I think that was a regular artillery strike you saw in the last VLog, true destructible terrain is not likely in the near future as anything that alters the terrain features would need to be resolved for all players over the network. There is still quite a bit we can do to sell the impact of the weapons without going so far as deforming terrain though.

For example trees are often noted as wanting the ability to knock them down, this can be possible without conveying that destruction over the network, we just have to carefully control what sections can be knocked down, as a tree that is knocked over on your client may not be knocked over on someone elses client.

This means we need to be careful that this discrepancy is reasonable for the player and doesn't lead to scenarios where one user feels cheated as he was hiding in foliage that another player had earlier knocked over so was able to make a shot the other player feels wasn't possible. Or put another way it needs to remain purely cosmetic with regards to gameplay.

We'll continue to investigate ways to convey destruction in the game though it seems likely that upcoming efforts on destruction may be more focused on mech on mech collisions. We'd probably like to see Mechs truly convey their weight when they hit each other before doing more work with environment destruction. We'll keep you posted as and when we have something more concrete to share.

#9 Diffusion9

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 16 posts
  • LocationPE, Canada

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:19 PM

Lots of great information, thanks Matt! I love the hope of performance improvements! I'm most excited about UI 2.0 tweaks... but most of all...

We're investigating some improvements to the visuals of the game and also still investigating the motion blur bug currently.

I will cry tears of joy when this is fixed! Tears.

Edited by Diffusion9, 23 June 2014 - 01:19 PM.

#10 Anais Opal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 590 posts
  • LocationOutreach - Shopping of course!

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:29 PM

All looking good on paper.

However,

Any chance at all of getting a new map or three released?

Hawken is up to what 10 across something like 5 game modes? Five maps is getting very, very, very dull.

Plus, for CW you're going to need maps representing The Rock, Tukkayid, Luthien, Rasalhague etc etc can't have the same maps representing pivotal battles in BT now can we? Better get started on them imo if you want CW any way half decent and immersive....

Edited by GlycerineOxide, 23 June 2014 - 01:36 PM.

#11 Rebas Kradd

• 2,969 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:29 PM

View PostMatthew Craig, on 23 June 2014 - 01:08 PM, said:

I think that was a regular artillery strike you saw in the last VLog, true destructible terrain is not likely in the near future as anything that alters the terrain features would need to be resolved for all players over the network. There is still quite a bit we can do to sell the impact of the weapons without going so far as deforming terrain though.

For example trees are often noted as wanting the ability to knock them down, this can be possible without conveying that destruction over the network, we just have to carefully control what sections can be knocked down, as a tree that is knocked over on your client may not be knocked over on someone elses client.

This means we need to be careful that this discrepancy is reasonable for the player and doesn't lead to scenarios where one user feels cheated as he was hiding in foliage that another player had earlier knocked over so was able to make a shot the other player feels wasn't possible. Or put another way it needs to remain purely cosmetic with regards to gameplay.

We'll continue to investigate ways to convey destruction in the game though it seems likely that upcoming efforts on destruction may be more focused on mech on mech collisions. We'd probably like to see Mechs truly convey their weight when they hit each other before doing more work with environment destruction. We'll keep you posted as and when we have something more concrete to share.

Thanks, Matt. I misspoke, I actually meant destructible objects. Trees and cars are a good example, maybe buildings. I did think I had seen trees getting crushed by mechs in a VLOG (not the most recent one, a different one). Maybe I was wrong.

#12 FearNotDeath

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 305 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:32 PM

SLI patch will also include crossfire without being broken I hope.

#13 Imperius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:42 PM

Sounds good I'm really looking forward to optimization.

I got a new computer to build this Friday, i hope it will help in my low FPS issues for the time being.

I7-4790k 4.0GHz 4.5 Turbo Boost (a.k.a. Devil's Canyon)
Corsair H110 liquid cooling
Corsair Vengeance C70 Military Green Case
Asus Z97 Deluxe Motherboard
16 GB G.Skill DDR3 2400MHz ram ( Using to run MWO on RamDisk via DimmDrive) so yes speed matters ^_^
512 Crucial MX100 SSD
Nvidia GTX 680 2GB GDDR5

#14 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:49 PM

View PostMatthew Craig, on 23 June 2014 - 12:09 PM, said:

UI

With the initial Clans patch out of the way, the UI team has been making some tweaks to UI 2.0 to help usability; some of these have already made their way into test and will be working their way into the July 2nd patch with more to follow in the patches beyond that.

Any chance to get some love in there for us multi-monitor users? The UI really is a pain to use for us.

#15 Belorion

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:53 PM

Community Warfare ^_^

#16 Scarcer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 213 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:14 PM

Great job!

Edited by Scarcer, 23 June 2014 - 02:24 PM.

#17 Hurrey

• PipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 29 posts
  • LocationU.K

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:14 PM

Please make text scale in UI2.0. It is wretchedly small.

Also please bring in 4x3 asap

#18 Reported for Inappropriate Name

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationAmericlap

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:16 PM

you said clan lrm min range would be fixed on the next patch. well here's the next patch where the **** is it?

#19 Belorion

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:21 PM

View PostBattlecruiser, on 23 June 2014 - 02:16 PM, said:

you said clan lrm min range would be fixed on the next patch. well here's the next patch where the **** is it?

They didn't post patch notes. ^_^

#20 Naduk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,575 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:45 PM

cannot wait for SLI support !
perhaps it will finaly get rid of the green smoke in thermal vision and the lag from smoke and fire

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users