110 replies to this topic

#1 rageagainstthedyingofthelight

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 306 posts
  • LocationTerra Therma, shut down

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:50 PM

I'm trying to level my medium clan mechs, and it's hard when a Direwolf can take your leg to red/off in one shot. I won't group with my team in a medium/light because that makes me a liability, and it's not something an enforced weight class mix will fix.

As long as mediums are so easily hit, and clan mechs can put 4-5 ac's and 1-2 PPC at a time on you, bringing a medium mech will just lower your score.

It's not the players fault that the queue's for those mechs hover under 20%, it's because if you want to compete, those weight classes start you at a disadvantage. Not that you can't do well in them, just that it's considerably harder and to many, not worth the effort.

I'm open to suggestion, what could they do to make those classes competitive again?

#2 WhoDidTheElf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 112 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:52 PM

Well my Nova is rocking a 3.4 K/D ratio. I'd hardly say they are bad.

You just can't run around like a light or expect to win a fire fight like a heavy or assault.

#3 rageagainstthedyingofthelight

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 306 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:57 PM

Again, the argument "I can do well in this mech" is not a counter argument. I've had a 4 kill match in my Nova. But only because I tried harder against inferior competition. Good pilots can make any mech work, but taking any medium right now is like playing on hard mode.

#4 Pjwned

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:58 PM

Mediums could use to be scaled properly (read: not atlas size) and have more top speed benefit from engines, but really other than that they're mostly workable and lights are fine as well.

Your example is pretty awful though, "I stood in front of a dire whale and got a component shot off wwwaaaahhh this weight class sucks," I shouldn't need to explain why this is dumb.

#5 KhanCipher

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 477 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:02 PM

View PostPjwned, on 07 July 2014 - 05:58 PM, said:

Your example is pretty awful though, "I stood in front of a dire whale and got a component shot off wwwaaaahhh this weight class sucks," I shouldn't need to explain why this is dumb.

I shouldn't need to explain why assuming OP was "doing the worst thing possible" is dumb.

#6 Hellcat420

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:05 PM

View Postrageagainstthedyingofthelight, on 07 July 2014 - 05:50 PM, said:

I'm trying to level my medium clan mechs, and it's hard when a Direwolf can take your leg to red/off in one shot. I won't group with my team in a medium/light because that makes me a liability, and it's not something an enforced weight class mix will fix.

As long as mediums are so easily hit, and clan mechs can put 4-5 ac's and 1-2 PPC at a time on you, bringing a medium mech will just lower your score.

It's not the players fault that the queue's for those mechs hover under 20%, it's because if you want to compete, those weight classes start you at a disadvantage. Not that you can't do well in them, just that it's considerably harder and to many, not worth the effort.

I'm open to suggestion, what could they do to make those classes competitive again?

nothing. light and medium mechs are not really designed for arena deathmatch style play. some people are going to be able to do very well with them, and some are not.

#7 rageagainstthedyingofthelight

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 306 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:06 PM

That's just it, I wasn't "standing in front", I had my leg go red from across the canyon map from at least 800m while I was moving. You can screw up all match long in heavy/assault and still come out with some kills and damage. You only get one mistake in a light/medium. One.

#8 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:09 PM

The only way to excel is ultimately to be proficient at taking shots at the most opportune moments.

Heavies+Assaults get a little bit of slack because of their higher armor values. That's pretty much it. Mediums get minimal leeway unfortunately.

#9 Hellcat420

• Bad Company
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:11 PM

View Postrageagainstthedyingofthelight, on 07 July 2014 - 06:06 PM, said:

That's just it, I wasn't "standing in front", I had my leg go red from across the canyon map from at least 800m while I was moving. You can screw up all match long in heavy/assault and still come out with some kills and damage. You only get one mistake in a light/medium. One.

well ya, what do you expect, a 30-50 ton mech to take damage like a 75-100 ton mech?

#10 rageagainstthedyingofthelight

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 306 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:13 PM

I can tell you before the clan mech, and before people figured them out, I could consistently get 4-700 out of a centurion, now breaking 4 is the aberration. What medium are you running that you're doing so well in, Hellcat?

#11 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:15 PM

My best results with Clan mechs are with mediums.

My results with the heavies, especially the Timberwolf, and assaults are abysmal.

#12 Hellcat420

• Bad Company
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:16 PM

View Postrageagainstthedyingofthelight, on 07 July 2014 - 06:13 PM, said:

I can tell you before the clan mech, and before people figured them out, I could consistently get 4-700 out of a centurion, now breaking 4 is the aberration. What medium are you running that you're doing so well in, Hellcat?

clan mediums are good(i dont own any but people in my clan do and they regularly tear it up in those things). hunchbacks are still decent, shadowhawks are good. its more how you use them then the actual mech itself. if your gonna run mediums you need to hit and run. dont let anything big get los on you for more than an instant. wait for the big guys on your team to engage the enemy heavies/assaults then poke them in the back when they are distracted. the only mechs you should even consider engaging head on are other mediums or lights unless its a big boy that is cored out and will die in a shot or two. outside of that you really should never be infront of a heavy or assault mech.

Edited by Hellcat420, 07 July 2014 - 06:21 PM.

#13 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:19 PM

View PostKhanCipher, on 07 July 2014 - 06:02 PM, said:

I shouldn't need to explain why assuming OP was "doing the worst thing possible" is dumb.

Considering how huge and slow the dire wolf is it's pretty safe to assume you did something dumb if your leg (nearly) gets blasted off instantly.

#14 OneEyed Jack

• 2,500 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:19 PM

Been running nothing but mediums since this last patch, mech I hadn't touched in months, with non-meta builds (LBX-Hawk, baby!), and currently running a 2+ KDR and W/L across the board. Hell, at one point I had a 13 KDR on my KTO.... until I made the mistake of playing late-night with the slim-picken crowd. *shudder*

The point isn't that I'm especially good, but that mediums can do just fine. (I'm not all that good, and play on a non gaming laptop with ~20 FPS at low settings, solo) Remember that for every med/light you have, so does the red team.

#15 Alexandrix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 910 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:21 PM

maybe if combining multiple weapons into one big super weapon,and alpha striking them into one component wasn't the soup du jour,mediums would be in a better place.And if they weren't,generally, the size of houses :(

#16 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:22 PM

I'd say we need to at least get a single, universal heat capacity (Here is an example of what I'd like to explore).

Possibly tweak dissipation and use heat scale penalties as necessary and it would be harder to fire such big Alphas as we can right now, we can still mount whatever we want, we'd just have to be able to manage that firepower with a better heat cap.

#17 rageagainstthedyingofthelight

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 306 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:26 PM

So far the the argument is "you must suck"

I find that....insufficient. My last match I scored 533 damage in the nova, it's not a matter of ability. I know how to play a medium, I came in top 50 the last two medium v/s the world.

Lets review my actual arguments:

Playing a light/medium means you will have no margin for error. One lapse and you're down.

The current heavy/assault clan mechs can remove your limbs at will.

If you're a medium/light pilot with any kind of elo, you're going to have to work twice as hard to help your team.

All these things are why on any give night, light/medium mechs don't break 20% of total mechs, and why should they?

SO PLEASE, answer these points, if you say LTP Noob, I'll take that as "I'm not reading any of this, I'm just randomly typing as the random neural firings in my head dictate, please disregard any actual words that make it off my keyboard."

#18 anonymous161

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 1,267 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:27 PM

??? I often get around 700 damage in my medium mechs well mostly for the nova since it can sport a lot of quick close rang punch with it's spl and medium lasers.

#19 Ted Wayz

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts
  • LocationTea with Romano

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:29 PM

The Nova is harder to skill, but the StormCrow was easy street for me. Leveling all my Clan Mechs and can't wait to come back around to it.

#20 Hellcat420

• Bad Company
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:30 PM

View Postrageagainstthedyingofthelight, on 07 July 2014 - 06:26 PM, said:

So far the the argument is "you must suck"

I find that....insufficient. My last match I scored 533 damage in the nova, it's not a matter of ability. I know how to play a medium, I came in top 50 the last two medium v/s the world.

Lets review my actual arguments:

Playing a light/medium means you will have no margin for error. One lapse and you're down.

The current heavy/assault clan mechs can remove your limbs at will.

If you're a medium/light pilot with any kind of elo, you're going to have to work twice as hard to help your team.

All these things are why on any give night, light/medium mechs don't break 20% of total mechs, and why should they?

SO PLEASE, answer these points, if you say LTP Noob, I'll take that as "I'm not reading any of this, I'm just randomly typing as the random neural firings in my head dictate, please disregard any actual words that make it off my keyboard."

you do realize that the only way to fix the "problem" you think they have is to remove them from the game and replace them with larger mechs, right?

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users