66 replies to this topic

#21 GunnyKintaro 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,072 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 11:45 PM

View PostTG Sundown, on 11 July 2014 - 06:08 AM, said:

So I have a YLW with a 300XL engine, ac20 2xML and AMS (I sacrificed left arm armor for the ams).

I find as of 6-7/2014 when I started playing again, I am getting my butt handed to me. If I do much besides hide behind a rock I am swamped my long range weapons and if I do manage to get in close I might get a shot or two off before I'm dead. I used to be able to at least get into the thick of things before dying. Has this game become a long range sniper fest or am I missing something?

What are the community thoughts on the best build for the YLW?

Thanks!

How long where you out of the game?

#22 MonkeyCheese

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:54 AM

Altho I dont drive mine too much these days it is still 100% viable.

Paint it all noob green and if they dont lock you up they wont know what hit them when the AC20 starts blapin.

#23 SethAbercromby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:24 AM

View PostMonkeyCheese, on 13 July 2014 - 12:54 AM, said:

Altho I dont drive mine too much these days it is still 100% viable.

Paint it all noob green and if they dont lock you up they wont know what hit them when the AC20 starts blapin.

Or paint it in Arctic colors and yell "Surprise ************" when you jump into someone's face to blast their 'Mech into little bits.

#24 Ursh

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationMother Russia

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:20 AM

I've seen YLW work really well. I still go for their gun arm the same way I go for an Hback's RT, but I also see a lot of pilots firing at the heavier mechs while the YLW cores them out.

Don't dance with this guy, unless you're reasonably sure you've got his number. It plays almost exactly the same as your YLW, except it's better at tearing stuff off. The launchers are so close to the gun barrel that you get a really tight grouping at short range, allowing you to target components rather than just spray and pray. SCR-C

Edited by Ursh, 14 July 2014 - 10:21 AM.

#25 Red Line Pilot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:24 AM

My main problem, both playing and playing against it, is losing the AC20 arm :S

if i see a YLW, even at range, two shots on that arm (which is huge) and you've taken the sting out of it.

No matter how they twist, ill take that AC20 to the the CT if i can get that AC of theirs in the exchange.

Edited by Red Line Pilot, 14 July 2014 - 10:25 AM.

#26 Dazzer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 216 posts
  • LocationSpain next to Gibraltar

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:19 AM

I use this build for my wang and love it :)

deceptively simply heat is never a issue. If you do mange to hear the heat warning just stop shooting the LPS for a few seconds and you cool down real quick. It carry's sufficient ammo for the LBX to just blaze away with no thought to running out.

for modulus I carry

LBX Mod lvl 2
Radar deprivation
Advanced sensors.

I find this build fun to play it has good fire power thats never shuts down due to heat, the speed to dance around the battle field and to circle around that panicking assault that just cant get a bead on you. Best played as a large light with delusions of grander.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...de17ef7e72ac485

#27 NuclearPanda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:53 AM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 11 July 2014 - 07:15 AM, said:

There are no realy relevant IS medium Mech builds atm imo
Its just Nova, Stormcrow and Timberwolf dominatin every game where they apear and are piloted by an at least averange pilot. A Nova or stormcrow pilot that looses one on one against a Centurion is either drunk or beginner level.

I would beg to differ. My Griffin with 2xLPL and 4xSSRMs absolutely tears up Clan mediums. Just my two cents.

I would never say that there are "no really relevant IS medium Mech builds". It's all pilot skill, and a little bit of luck.

#28 Dazzer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 216 posts
  • LocationSpain next to Gibraltar

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:14 AM

View PostNuclearPanda, on 17 July 2014 - 03:53 AM, said:

I would beg to differ. My Griffin with 2xLPL and 4xSSRMs absolutely tears up Clan mediums. Just my two cents.

I would never say that there are "no really relevant IS medium Mech builds". It's all pilot skill, and a little bit of luck.

YEs I totally agree , I used a Hunchback 4SP with 2 x LPL and 2x SRM6 with artams and it tears up clan Med´s

#29 NuclearPanda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:18 AM

View PostDazzer, on 17 July 2014 - 04:14 AM, said:

YEs I totally agree , I used a Hunchback 4SP with 2 x LPL and 2x SRM6 with artams and it tears up clan Med´s

Definitely man. There are nothing wrong with most IS Mediums if they're piloted properly!

Just have to up your game a little and change up your plans of attack sometimes. Then it's all gravy baby.

Posted Image

#30 Kmieciu

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:34 AM

In my opinion all the jumping 55 tonners invalidate the Centurion in PUG matches, since you can still exploit 1JJ for hill climbing and bunny hopping.

#31 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:57 AM

View PostNuclearPanda, on 17 July 2014 - 03:53 AM, said:

While I'm perfectly fine with someone who can do that with a Griffin, I draw my hat sir since I was piloting the Griffin since it came out and enjoied it till the clans came out, stats say something pretty different.

Mediums where never easy to pilot in ranges that go above beginner or averange level but now the advanced ranges and superior weapons loadouts ( due to lighter weaponry and smaler, endo, frerro and heatsinks ) alow clanmeds like Nova and Stormcrow to mount and project an amount of ranged firepower formaly known from IS Heavy mechs, while beeing as nimble as mediums always where.

Your Griffin has a considderable amount of frontload weaponspower over very close ranges. ( realy effective up to ~200m due to SRM spread )
A Stormcrow will have more than the same power at doubble range with same or less risc of overheating.
Even if the Clanpilot distributes his dmg now due to longer burning duration of his lasers and his salvo fire of SRMs and ACs, he will have the possibility to project at least the same concentrated dmg as you while having more room for failures and with more reaction time.
Its not hard to tell wich of two equivalently well piloted Mechs would win.

#32 Gefen

• Pip
  • Little Helper
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 05:08 AM

Try the cn9-A with srm6-art (3x) and 1 ERLL for a little bit of sniping during the first few minutes of the game. As soon as the brawling starts unleash your srm6-art. Profit.

#33 NuclearPanda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 17 July 2014 - 05:13 AM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 17 July 2014 - 04:57 AM, said:

While I'm perfectly fine with someone who can do that with a Griffin, I draw my hat sir since I was piloting the Griffin since it came out and enjoied it till the clans came out, stats say something pretty different.

Mediums where never easy to pilot in ranges that go above beginner or averange level but now the advanced ranges and superior weapons loadouts ( due to lighter weaponry and smaler, endo, frerro and heatsinks ) alow clanmeds like Nova and Stormcrow to mount and project an amount of ranged firepower formaly known from IS Heavy mechs, while beeing as nimble as mediums always where.

Your Griffin has a considderable amount of frontload weaponspower over very close ranges. ( realy effective up to ~200m due to SRM spread )
A Stormcrow will have more than the same power at doubble range with same or less risc of overheating.
Even if the Clanpilot distributes his dmg now due to longer burning duration of his lasers and his salvo fire of SRMs and ACs, he will have the possibility to project at least the same concentrated dmg as you while having more room for failures and with more reaction time.
Its not hard to tell wich of two equivalently well piloted Mechs would win.

I like to look at it this way.

You're discussing straight 1v1, on an open field with no obstruction.

I'm discussing 12v12, on a field of varying obstacle height and cover.

1v1 on an open battlefield I would absolutely agree that my Griffin would get it's rear handed to it.

That isn't the case in this game though. MOST people I've seen will always go after what they feel are threats from heavier equipped mechs first. This allows manuevering and teamwork on my behalf to get around those focused weapons.

Want to agree to disagree that IS mediums have no place in the game with the current gamestate? I'll concede that 1v1 against a clan mech is futile, if you concede that teams working together and pilot skill allow IS mediums to absolutely still shine. I frequently get 600+ damage and multiple kills with my Griffin still.

*edit* Matter of fact I just checked and my KDR with my Griffin is 2.33.

Edited by NuclearPanda, 17 July 2014 - 05:15 AM.

#34 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 17 July 2014 - 05:18 AM

View PostNuclearPanda, on 17 July 2014 - 05:13 AM, said:

I like to look at it this way.

You're discussing straight 1v1, on an open field with no obstruction.

I'm discussing 12v12, on a field of varying obstacle height and cover.

1v1 on an open battlefield I would absolutely agree that my Griffin would get it's rear handed to it.

That isn't the case in this game though. MOST people I've seen will always go after what they feel are threats from heavier equipped mechs first. This allows manuevering and teamwork on my behalf to get around those focused weapons.

Want to agree to disagree that IS mediums have no place in the game with the current gamestate? I'll concede that 1v1 against a clan mech is futile, if you concede that teams working together and pilot skill allow IS mediums to absolutely still shine. I frequently get 600+ damage and multiple kills with my Griffin still.

*edit* Matter of fact I just checked and my KDR with my Griffin is 2.33.

And I'm pretty sure you could get 1.5 times more at a hightened rate and increased survivability with a clan medium.

#35 NuclearPanda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 17 July 2014 - 05:23 AM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 17 July 2014 - 05:18 AM, said:

And I'm pretty sure you could get 1.5 times more at a hightened rate and increased survivability with a clan medium.

To each their own my man, to each their own. All I'm saying is that I have no issues piloting an IS medium.

Even in Tabletop, Clan mechs were supposed to be feared due to superior firepower. I guess I just relish the opportunity to waste all those filthy vat-born scum working with what I got! And workin' it well is what I'm doing! :(

#36 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 04:58 AM

While a strong argument could be made that the Shadowhawk is the only IS Medium with any remaining purpose (though properly played Medium missile-heavy mechs are still somewhat useful, as is the Cicada with ECM because of... well, ECM), the Wang still can compete with the rest of them. It's not that great, sure, but it can carry an AC 20, and that will punish people badly who fail to notice or stop it in time.

That being said, I just can't recommend spending real-world money on it right now... it's better than many IS mediums, but just not good enough vs. Clan stuff, IMHO.

#37 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:28 PM

I picked up a YLW last week when all the Heroes and Champions were on sale. Just started using it this past morning. I wreck people in it. During one game in my last stream I killed a Warhawk, Dire Wolf, and Timber Wolf with it. It is still VERY relevant.

The build: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...bae21c77a1905eb

Modules: UAV, Arty Strike, Seismic, Radar Dep., AC20 & MPL range modules

It does so well that I am loathe to tinker with it. I've thought about swapping the pulses out for normal MLs, a BAP, and up-armoring the legs. Or just cutting a half-ton of ammo to up-armor the legs. But it works so well as is.

Also, one last thing, I painted my YLW completely black. You might want to change your colors as well, the sunburst sits there and screams at people that you have an AC20 and need to die. Painted all one color, it's almost impossible to tell it apart from a CN9-A or D (mechs that often have much longer engagement ranges).

#38 TygerLily

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:35 PM

I keep getting ignored in mine...much to my approval...

#39 SethAbercromby

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 02 August 2014 - 02:54 AM

Mine in white and invasion green is enjoying the attention. People with exposed components start breaking out in cold sweat when they notice me closing into 200m with my LB and MG. Hilarious.

#40 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 02 August 2014 - 02:28 PM

View Postsneeking, on 02 August 2014 - 04:23 AM, said:

wang didn't do well with the new module system.

ripped off !

Don't know what its slots were before, but right now I've got my Wang with UAV, Arty, Seismic, Radar Dep., and AC20 & MPL range modules. The range modules are just gravy, it already ran pretty cool, so why not, right? One of the few mechs I can justify the things on.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users