Dev Vlog #6

426 replies to this topic

#121 Asmosis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 07:08 AM

Good to hear about CW, great fixes on clan lrms and JJ's although I hope jump height is tailored to individual mechs, as some of them are designed to jump up on top of buildings etc.

I'm iffy on modules though. Some are basically mandatory to make a mech perform its function, and often you need 2-3 "mech" modules. I like the idea of giving extra space for weapon modules, but not at the expense of the useful ones. no way in hell I want to give up sensor range for +2 laser range for example and LRM mechs need several sensor related modules to function.

Actually, I'd rather see weapon modules discarded as actual modules. Make them like MW4 weapon enhancements, basically they were like atremis. you attach them directly to the weapon and they take up a crit slot/ton. That way you could give them values that were significant since they aren't just taking up free space.

Edited by Asmosis, 12 July 2014 - 07:12 AM.

#122 Kanigit

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 66 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 July 2014 - 07:17 AM

Good job on the vid. A couple of you look like you aren't getting enough sleep; if you don't have your health you have nothing.

#123 jackal40

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 180 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 07:21 AM

View PostRyvucz, on 11 July 2014 - 09:16 PM, said:

Is it that hard to watch?

Yes, some of us have problems watching these videos. I don't see asking for a transcript or even just bullet points to be that difficult.

While all of this "upcoming features" information is, I'd like to hear more on how they are progressing of fixing the problem areas - most important to me is HitReg.

There is no point in playing right now when I can't hit a target and they obliterate me. This may be a problem for just some players, but it needs to be fixed - tell us where you're at on these.

I can't get excited about new features when I can't play the game as it stands now, sorry.

Edited by jackal40, 12 July 2014 - 07:27 AM.

#124 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 12 July 2014 - 07:26 AM

There you go:

1. You will be able to rejoin after you disconnect.

2. New module slot system. Different slots for different types of modules - creating CBill sinks so we buy more of the modules we don't find useful at the moment, and spend more on consumables.

{A backward step in my view because it's going to lead to far more Strikes.}

3. Clan LRMs will do damage from 1-180 meters, but it's not linear. 90m = 25% damage.

4. Jump Jet heat. Worse for Heavies than Lights.

5. CW Association Module will be released in a couple of months. Second (fighting) module in Fall (which as defined in the Reddit interview as meaning "by 21 December"}. PGI considers this "most" of CW.

6. They are working on two new maps, Swamp/Jungle and a mech facility in a mountain. They're talking about making different versions of the existing maps, such as increasing water levels in Canyons, Alpine Night, etc. They foreshadow creating more maps by combining existing assets.

Edited by Appogee, 12 July 2014 - 07:54 AM.

#125 Negaman1971

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 33 posts
  • LocationLakewood, WA...again

Posted 12 July 2014 - 07:32 AM

Just watched the video, looking forward to all of it! Great job on the video guys!

#126 DocBach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 12 July 2014 - 07:33 AM

Sounds like the boys are putting in some good work, appreciate the update.

#127 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 12 July 2014 - 07:39 AM

View PostRyvucz, on 11 July 2014 - 09:16 PM, said:

Is it that hard to watch?

For some, yes. Many of us (most?) have jobs, and very busy lives. For many, there are countless reasons why we can't devote the time to watching, or in likely many more cases can't hear the audio - they can't wear headphones, don't want to disturb others, or just (as in my case) can't hear the audio period - Yay, manufacturing work! :P And with a video, not only do you need to be able to hear, but you need to be able to hear clearly, often through tiny tinny little smartphone speakers, thus resulting in needed to keep shuffling back and listening again and again to catch parts that are not enunciated clearly.

Or, people who have English as a second language, and struggle to parse spoken English - text is a lot easier to follow for many.

Anyways, there are very, very many reasons why someone can't just watch the video, but reading a transcript only requires vision and much less time (reading being vastly faster than listening to people).

So, yeah. The world is a big place, and there are lots of people in it with situations vastly different than your own. Don't assume what's easy for you is easy for everyone.

#128 Name140704

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 12 July 2014 - 07:40 AM

I like what the Devs had to say, but not to be a Debbie Downer, but I do have one concern.

I am a little worried that people will use a one minute, 50 second exploit to avoid damage and rush in to clean up on badly damaged Mechs at a more opportune time by using a brief, intentional disconnect.

Seeing all the trolling, friendly fire, TK's and other nonsense from pugs, this is a possibility, while rare, will almost certainly occur.

Perhaps some precautions will be implemented by the Devs before launching this new feature.

Other than that, it looks promising, new maps, modules, CW and the rest.

Good job guys! :P

*** edited for typos

Edited by Psycho Farmer, 12 July 2014 - 07:42 AM.

#129 Boaz Roshak

• PipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 96 posts
  • LocationApperently , back on the island

Posted 12 July 2014 - 07:50 AM

We really need the modules to be toggles tat are unlocked and not a physical item that must be hunted for and moved around from mech to mech.

#130 madkat

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 08:03 AM

View PostAsmudius Heng, on 12 July 2014 - 02:49 AM, said:

Here this is how you redesign modules.

Have weapons slots
Have mech slots
Have support slots
Have sensor slots

Now every module is tagged with one of those catagories including consumables. example:

Coolshot -> weapons
UAV -> Sensor
Artillery -> support

Now you have 4 basic roles in modules.
-Ones that enhance your mech performance (hill climb, fall damage etc)
-Ones that enhance your sensors (Seismic, target retention etc)
-Ones that provide support to your team(capture accel, this one might need more modules released for it)
-And of course weapons based modules

Now apply these VERY differently depending on the mech. Lets take a look at a few.

1. Raven: Your sensor mech, this one might have three Sensor modules, one support module, and one mech module - thats right NO WEAPONS module they do not ALL have to have every type.

2. Jenner: A light with a different role might have: two weapons modules, one sensor module, 2 mech modules - This mech can modify its performance and its weapons being the striker mech but it cannot do artillery

3. Catapult: 2 sensor modules, 2 support modules, 1 weapons module - This mech might not be able to modify its performance much but it can boost its LRMs, get decent sensor help, and can add artillery and more being a support mech

4. Victor, lets take a look at a meta mech - 2 mech modules, 1 sensor module, 2 weapons modules - Inhibits it bringing arty but it has good weapons and can enhance the machine itself with some sensor backup

5. DDC Atlas A command mech - 2 sensor modules, 2 support modules, 1 mech module - All about sensors, supporting and something to help boost the machine itself but stops it being a weapons enhancer.

Now weapons modules need to be worth a damn for this to really work and these are just rough ideas but I really hope PGI can see that this would help balance, this would help role warfare, this would get them to sell more weapons modules because they are there and people WILL fill them.

What you propose PGI is horrific and a waste of time and an obvious cbill/xp sink.

This... Right on the money!

Edited by madkat, 12 July 2014 - 08:04 AM.

#131 Wrayeth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 221 posts
  • LocationHesperus II

Posted 12 July 2014 - 08:15 AM

I'm very unhappy with several of the changes announced in the video. The two items of greatest irritation are the implementation of the new module slot system and the way in which the jump jet changes are taking effect.

For the former, I'm shocked and angered that we're going to be limited to one mech module per mech. I've spent a LOT of time and global XP unlocking most of the mech modules, and I want to be able to use them! Moreover, it's going to be a massive nerf to assault mechs, which basically require hill climb to make their movement curve tolerable. With only one module slot, that's going to completely ruin a number of builds. For example, sniper builds require advanced zoom, and both the seismic sensor and advanced gyro make brawler builds more viable. Unfortunately, if hill climb is fit, none of those is an option. If, on the other hand, I don't fit hill climb, I'm going to be pounding my keyboard in frustration as my mech gets stuck on every tiny rock or other obstacle even more than it already does.

And, for this, what are we getting in return? More consumables and weapon modules. The former are of dubious value; sometimes their use can increase your C-Bill payout enough to cover their cost and even be profitable, but other times they don't even pay for themselves. The latter, the weapon modules, are even worse. I have absolutely zero interest in slightly increasing my weapons' range at the expense of heat. I run a lot of builds that already ride the heat curve, and these modules would push them over the edge. As such, it's a huge slap in the face that we're losing general mech module slots for these items.

The other change I take exception to is the implementation of the jump jet changes. The heat part of it is fine, but the reduced jump range even with a full set of jets is, IMO, ridiculous. The Highlander, for example, can already barely clear a short building with 3 jets, but now that height is going to be reduced? What's the point of having jump jets at all, then? If I'm brawling on an urban map, I want my damned jump jets to allow me to jump over or land on top of a building for a tactical advantage, but now that won't be possible. The Highlander is now going to be totally useless as a jumping mech, with the jets' tonnage better spent on weaponry.

I can't stress enough how much I dislike the above listed changes and want to see them rethought.

Edited by Wrayeth, 12 July 2014 - 08:26 AM.

#132 Jacob Side

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 390 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 08:16 AM

Where's the CC post explaining the Merc Life stuff?

#133 Jacob Side

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 390 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 08:21 AM

View PostPsycho Farmer, on 12 July 2014 - 07:40 AM, said:

I like what the Devs had to say, but not to be a Debbie Downer, but I do have one concern.

I am a little worried that people will use a one minute, 50 second exploit to avoid damage and rush in to clean up on badly damaged Mechs at a more opportune time by using a brief, intentional disconnect.

Seeing all the trolling, friendly fire, TK's and other nonsense from pugs, this is a possibility, while rare, will almost certainly occur.

Perhaps some precautions will be implemented by the Devs before launching this new feature.

Other than that, it looks promising, new maps, modules, CW and the rest.

Good job guys! :P

*** edited for typos

if you intentional disconnect it's not like your mech disappears from the map.
You'd better better off staying in game and helping your team by dealing damage.

#134 Mark of Caine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 496 posts
  • LocationWazan War Veteran

Posted 12 July 2014 - 08:22 AM

I would definitely love a full reset and refund of all modules for all players across the board. Let people unlock and buy back the modules they want, due to the fact that some mechs like a Raven or Atlas DDC will be "nerfed" because of this change.

I hardly ever use consumables or weapon modules. I always carry multiple information modules like sensors and target info.

A full wipe across the board would allow everyone to think and buy what they want with the new system.

#135 mp00

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • 319 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationIn a bottle, Canada

Posted 12 July 2014 - 08:28 AM

Excellent, simple, efficient, with some good use of teaser pictures/video. Some great info and few surprises, you keep on impressing me recently .. must be Niko and his hypnotically immobile hair :P

Keep the info (and surprises) coming, love the fact that you are planning to include the community in some of the directions to go. Nearly everything has been better the last several months keep up the good work.

#136 Cpt Zaepp

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 88 posts
  • LocationOn Alpine, Hamburger Hill, watching my team spreading out like a cheap prostitute on Solaris VII...

Posted 12 July 2014 - 08:37 AM

Very nice except the new module slots.

Seriously, even more crappy weapon slots once mastered?

PGI, nobody wants your weapon modules, if you want to create new cash-sinks, come up with something reasonable please!

At least leave the 2-4 slots for "mech modules" alone.

#137 ExoForce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 777 posts
  • LocationFields of the Nephilim

Posted 12 July 2014 - 08:38 AM

I am really curious how the Faction menu between Skills and Store menus will function?

#138 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 12 July 2014 - 08:41 AM

Thanks for the video. Looking forward to all these things. I don't have any complaints.

Walking under water would be cool. Might be a problem with realism when a mech is running 150 kph through water, as if it was air.

I'd like to see Alpine with rolling grass hills, but with dark rain clouds overhead, casting a dark shadow on the landscape, except for brief flashes of lightning. So it would have less visiblity than normal Alpine, making scouts more valuable, as you wouldn't be able to see the enemy from 2 kilometers away, due to the rain.

Another alternative would be Crimson Strait Night, which, unlike River City Night, could have lots of floodlights, so there's great visibility within the city, but very poor visibility on the mountain and water-areas of the map.

PS: May I suggest that you do an official poll on the front page, regarding maps? Fans love to see their voice being heard, and polls allow you to give fans a level of interaction, while still limiting options to what you consider realistic.

Edited by Alistair Winter, 12 July 2014 - 08:46 AM.

#139 Thoughtfulwander01

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 48 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 July 2014 - 08:49 AM

Good job PGI keep it up!

Look forward to the CW and new maps.

One question or point I don't see a military complex map. Like a base of a mercenary or militia on some planet??

I mean most of us if not all of us know there has to be bases for our mechs to come from and why not have one where the base is being defended/attacked by forces?

Where is that site for the community input on maps?? :P

Hey great job guys again thank you for the great game!

TW

Edited by Thoughtfulwander01, 12 July 2014 - 08:50 AM.

#140 trtw

• PipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 60 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 08:51 AM

View PostAsmudius Heng, on 12 July 2014 - 02:49 AM, said:

The module change was PGIs chance to start redefining role warfare in this game where that pillar has yet to really have any meaning at all.

Instead we get a cgance deliberatly designed to make people spend more XP and cbills on the worthless weapons modules.

This is HORRIBLY dissapointing PGI.

By making this a generic, dull, uninspired time sink you have crapped on any chances of making a set of role warfare enhancers.

You already had roles for modules, sensor types, support types etc weapons as well ... instead of using ROLES to define modules you are basically forcing people to spend for the weapons thats it.

Here this is how you redesign modules.

Have weapons slots
Have mech slots
Have support slots
Have sensor slots

Now every module is tagged with one of those catagories including consumables. example:

Coolshot -> weapons
UAV -> Sensor
Artillery -> support

Now you have 4 basic roles in modules.
-Ones that enhance your mech performance (hill climb, fall damage etc)
-Ones that enhance your sensors (Seismic, target retention etc)
-Ones that provide support to your team(capture accel, this one might need more modules released for it)
-And of course weapons based modules

Now apply these VERY differently depending on the mech. Lets take a look at a few.

1. Raven: Your sensor mech, this one might have three Sensor modules, one support module, and one mech module - thats right NO WEAPONS module they do not ALL have to have every type.

2. Jenner: A light with a different role might have: two weapons modules, one sensor module, 2 mech modules - This mech can modify its performance and its weapons being the striker mech but it cannot do artillery

3. Catapult: 2 sensor modules, 2 support modules, 1 weapons module - This mech might not be able to modify its performance much but it can boost its LRMs, get decent sensor help, and can add artillery and more being a support mech

4. Victor, lets take a look at a meta mech - 2 mech modules, 1 sensor module, 2 weapons modules - Inhibits it bringing arty but it has good weapons and can enhance the machine itself with some sensor backup

5. DDC Atlas A command mech - 2 sensor modules, 2 support modules, 1 mech module - All about sensors, supporting and something to help boost the machine itself but stops it being a weapons enhancer.

Now weapons modules need to be worth a damn for this to really work and these are just rough ideas but I really hope PGI can see that this would help balance, this would help role warfare, this would get them to sell more weapons modules because they are there and people WILL fill them.

What you propose PGI is horrific and a waste of time and an obvious cbill/xp sink.

Is this not role warfare?

Everything in the vblog seems like steps forward to me except for the module reconfiguration. I understand the idea of having cbill sinks in the game but reducing the amount of 'mech' modules to promote this is moving in the wrong direction in my opinion. What Asmudius Heng provided will upset some players as well because it will also change how someone plays their particular build but I believe that our player base would much prefer this solution.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users