66 replies to this topic

#21 Voivode

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:48 PM

View PostSug, on 22 July 2014 - 03:43 PM, said:

Also when you use the Dragon as a sniper you're competing against mechs that can alpha twice as hard as you or more. If someone countersnipes you you most likely won't be able to spread the damage and will be taken out of the fight quickly.

The primary strength of the Dragon is its speed. A couple Dragons that move to the flank, drop a few well placed long range rounds, and then move to another location can keep the enemy from concentrating all their fire on the main group. A Dragon that stays in the thick of the main group and exchanges sniper fire with an enemy already looking their way will, yes, get its butt kicked. You have to use that speed to shoot people looking another direction!

#22 AH Tengu

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:49 PM

The perfect mech to compliment the Grand Dragon is an Orion, and I'm not just saying that because I'm a clanner.

#23 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:49 PM

Also if you're working as a pair, then trying to be pro snipers isn't something you should try anyway. Instead use the fact that you're a pair to your advantage. Have builds designed to hit and run together.

#24 Voivode

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:50 PM

View PostDarkwolfe, on 22 July 2014 - 03:44 PM, said:

Do you happen to have a suggested loadout for the 1N and 1C (For mastery)

Unfortunately it's been a while since I mastered Dragons and the 5N was the one I kept. I'll try to put something together for you.

-EDIT-
Now that Koniving has joined this thread, I'm sure he can toss some nice builds your way :)

Edited by Voivode, 22 July 2014 - 03:51 PM.

#25 Shadewolfe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 149 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:52 PM

View PostKoniving, on 22 July 2014 - 03:49 PM, said:

Also if you're working as a pair, then trying to be pro snipers isn't something you should try anyway. Instead use the fact that you're a pair to your advantage. Have builds designed to hit and run together.

Would that be the combination of the XL360 "Grand Dragon" and Voivode's 5N build he gave me? Or would it be a different combo of builds? Remember he's being super stubborn about rebuilding a Grand Dragon

-edit- I should mention that I haven't had a chance to play any clan mechs. The last time I played was probably around January

View PostAH Tengu, on 22 July 2014 - 03:49 PM, said:

The perfect mech to compliment the Grand Dragon is an Orion, and I'm not just saying that because I'm a clanner.

Then why are you saying it? I have not seen many good things about the Orion yet.

View PostVoivode, on 22 July 2014 - 03:50 PM, said:

Unfortunately it's been a while since I mastered Dragons and the 5N was the one I kept. I'll try to put something together for you.

-EDIT-
Now that Koniving has joined this thread, I'm sure he can toss some nice builds your way ;)

Kon has helped me multiple times in the past and I trust his opinion :)

Edited by Darkwolfe, 22 July 2014 - 03:53 PM.

#26 Sug

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:53 PM

View PostDarkwolfe, on 22 July 2014 - 03:47 PM, said:

Last time I played (Which was admittedly a long-ish time ago. My current computer can't run it, but I'm looking to upgrade sometime soon) I was absolutely atrocious at aiming with them. I couldn't hit the broad side of an Awesome.

Still takes some aiming but the hit registry problems are largely resolved . I'm always surprised how damaging my QD's three SRM4+Artemis are.

Go Intel for MWO btw.

#27 Shadewolfe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 149 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:54 PM

View PostSug, on 22 July 2014 - 03:53 PM, said:

Still takes some aiming but the hit registry problems are largely resolved . I'm always surprised how damaging my QD's three SRM4+Artemis are.

Go Intel for MWO btw.

The laptop I'm looking at getting has an i5 I think
Do you think I should try SRM's again? The only ones I've been using are Streaks xD

#28 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:57 PM

View PostDarkwolfe, on 22 July 2014 - 03:52 PM, said:

Would that be the combination of the XL360 "Grand Dragon" and Voivode's 5N build he gave me?

360xl is going to give you a 107kph Dragon with the firepower of a light, for the cost of a Light (360xl) Just saying, i've tried it.

Dragons and QDs are in that weird weight scale spot where they don't have the armor to go slow and can't carry enough firepower if they go fast. Tough to balance.

View PostDarkwolfe, on 22 July 2014 - 03:54 PM, said:

Do you think I should try SRM's again? The only ones I've been using are Streaks xD

Of course try them again. All you can lose is cbills and time.

Edited by Sug, 22 July 2014 - 03:59 PM.

#29 Voivode

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:58 PM

View PostDarkwolfe, on 22 July 2014 - 03:52 PM, said:

Would that be the combination of the XL360 "Grand Dragon" and Voivode's 5N build he gave me? Or would it be a different combo of builds? Remember he's being super stubborn about rebuilding a Grand Dragon

-edit- I should mention that I haven't had a chance to play any clan mechs. The last time I played was probably around January

Then why are you saying it? I have not seen many good things about the Orion yet.

Kon has helped me multiple times in the past and I trust his opinion :)

1) If you haven't played the clan mechs yet and you have them, a Mad Cat (I'm IS, it's a Mad Cat!) or a Stormcrow (inconsistent, aren't I?) could be a good pairing with that Grand Dragon

2) The Orion is a fine mech, but better for brawling than long range fire and most good builds would be slower than the Dragon (Orion isn't so XL friendly)

3) Kon is good people, I'm glad you've had the chance to benefit from what he does

#30 Shadewolfe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 149 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:00 PM

View PostSug, on 22 July 2014 - 03:57 PM, said:

360xl is going to give you a 107kph Dragon with the firepower of a light. Just saying, i've tried it.

Of course try them again. All you can lose is cbills and time.

I know x.x I wish he would actually do something a bit better. Maybe at LEAST put a 3rd MLas on but he won't

-shrug-True. I guess I might as well when I play next time.

View PostVoivode, on 22 July 2014 - 03:58 PM, said:

1) If you haven't played the clan mechs yet and you have them, a Mad Cat (I'm IS, it's a Mad Cat!) or a Stormcrow (inconsistent, aren't I?) could be a good pairing with that Grand Dragon

2) The Orion is a fine mech, but better for brawling than long range fire and most good builds would be slower than the Dragon (Orion isn't so XL friendly)

3) Kon is good people, I'm glad you've had the chance to benefit from what he does

If I ever get enough cash to get up to the the Timber Wolf or Storm Crow then I will absolutely try pairing those with him.

#31 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:00 PM

View PostDarkwolfe, on 22 July 2014 - 03:58 PM, said:

I know x.x I wish he would actually do something a bit better. Maybe at LEAST put a 3rd MLas on but he won't

-shrug-True. I guess I might as well when I play next time.

Honestly I got my Dragons for the same exact reason. Wanted to build a Grand Dragon. Just doesn't translate too well to this game but if you're having fun playing it who cares.

Two people working together can pretty much make anything effective.

Well except flamers.

Edited by Sug, 22 July 2014 - 04:02 PM.

#32 Shadewolfe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 149 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:01 PM

View PostSug, on 22 July 2014 - 04:00 PM, said:

Honestly I got my Dragons for the same exact reason. Wanted to build a Grand Dragon. Just doesn't translate too well to this game but if you're having fun playing it who cares.

Two people working together can pretty much make anything effective.

We'll see how much fun he has. If he doesn't like it I'll try to convince him to go 2x PPC or something better.

#33 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:04 PM

A Grand Dragon won't be horrible, it's just strictly a support mech.

Talking about it makes me want to try it again....

Edited by Sug, 22 July 2014 - 04:04 PM.

#34 Voivode

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:09 PM

Alright, with the state of the game, I'd probably do something like this with the Dragon 1N and like this with the Dragon 1C

but that's just me spitballing, however, if you notice the 5N and 1N builds both have AMS. Since you guys are newer, I'd strongly recommend some AMS to help pad the LRM learning curve. In fact, see if you can convince your friend to get an AMS on his as well

#35 Shadewolfe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 149 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:10 PM

View PostSug, on 22 July 2014 - 04:04 PM, said:

A Grand Dragon won't be horrible, it's just strictly a support mech.

Talking about it makes me want to try it again....

I told him and he's like "I am completely okay with that"

View PostVoivode, on 22 July 2014 - 04:09 PM, said:

Alright, with the state of the game, I'd probably do something like this with the Dragon 1N and like this with the Dragon 1C

but that's just me spitballing, however, if you notice the 5N and 1N builds both have AMS. Since you guys are newer, I'd strongly recommend some AMS to help pad the LRM learning curve. In fact, see if you can convince your friend to get an AMS on his as well

I'll check with him about that xD

#36 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:25 PM

View PostDarkwolfe, on 22 July 2014 - 04:10 PM, said:

I told him and he's like "I am completely okay with that"

Just played a match in a Grand Dragon Flame. Man. That was rough.

The lack of launch tubes in the belly really hurts the LRM10. Heat management was ok. Got 2 kills but we were light on tonnage and got steamrolled by assaults in the end.

It was fun and interesting but I couldn't help but feel I could have helped my team more with a different heavy. Ended up getting literally dis-armed and had to finish the match plinking with the LRM10.

Man I am awful with PPCs.

Edited by Sug, 22 July 2014 - 04:28 PM.

#37 Shadewolfe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 149 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:28 PM

So. Correct me if I'm wrong but Quickdraw + XL = No. Right?

View PostSug, on 22 July 2014 - 04:25 PM, said:

Just played a match in a Grand Dragon Flame. Man. That was rough.

The lack of launch tubes in the belly really hurts the LRM10. Heat management was ok. Got 2 kills but we were light on tonnage and got steamrolled by assaults in the end.

It was fun and interesting but I couldn't help but feel I could have helped my team more with a different heavy.

Man I am awful with PPCs.

This is the convo him and I just had
Shadewolfe: Whats the basis for your fascination with the Grand Dragon anyways?
WarCry45: well its taking a dragon (which i love) and adds a PPC to it (which i love)
Shadewolfe: lol
Shadewolfe: But it doesnt have to be a specific Grand Dragon
Shadewolfe: Like for example
Shadewolfe: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...defd102e329a32b
Shadewolfe: PPC on a DRG-1N
WarCry45: well i would perfer it to be a grand dragon because i love the setup it has

Edited by Darkwolfe, 22 July 2014 - 04:28 PM.

#38 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:34 PM

View PostDarkwolfe, on 22 July 2014 - 04:28 PM, said:

So. Correct me if I'm wrong but Quickdraw + XL = No. Right?

This is the convo him and I just had

I feel that you almost have to use an XL in a QD. It doesn't have the armor to go slow. I've settled into a 4H with a 320xl, 2 med pulse lasers, 3 SRM4s + Artemis. Goes 95kph with speed tweak, anything under that just feels too slow to me personally but your mileage may vary.

I feel like most of the success I enjoy in my QD is due to the fact that no one takes it seriously.

I love the fluff of the Grand Dragon and it's definitely part of the appeal of piloting one for me but it's no point-and-click killer like the Jagermech or the Cataphract. Gotta ABF, Always Be Flanking.

I always feel kinda guilty taking up one of my team's heavy slots with a Dragon or a QD

Edited by Sug, 22 July 2014 - 04:38 PM.

#39 Shadewolfe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 149 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:38 PM

View PostSug, on 22 July 2014 - 04:34 PM, said:

I feel that you almost have to use an XL in a QD. It doesn't have the armor to go slow. I've settled into a 4H with a 320xl, 2 med pulse lasers, 3 SRM4s + Artemis. Goes 95kph with speed tweak, anything under that just feels too slow to me personally but your mileage may vary.

I feel like most of the success I enjoy in my QD is due to the fact that no one takes it seriously.

I love the fluff of the Grand Dragon and it's definitely part of the appeal of piloting one for me but it's no point-and-click killer like the Jagermech or the Cataphract. Gotta ABF, Always Be Flanking.

I'm feeling the same way, but not because of speed (Havent had a chance to check that yet obviously), but because of the tonnage. I am having so much difficulty in Smurfy's trying to build a loadout for each QD variant because I just dont have the tonnage for what I want with a STD unless I go super small engine and have no speed. Do you think an XL320 would be okay across the board for a QD?

I think he feels the same way about the story fluff on the Grand Dragon.

Edited by Darkwolfe, 22 July 2014 - 04:38 PM.

#40 Euphor Kell

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 186 posts
  • LocationOz (Australia)

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:53 PM

Dragons are difficult.
They have been the underdogs since they were introduced.
Armour of a heavy, speed of a medium and punch of a light.
Sounds reasonable?
Except they die so fast because you don't get to use all that armour, they will get cored very quickly, so those hundreds of points of armour will be for naught when your centre only has ~60ish and takes all the hits.

But I still like them, you can't tank with them, their arms are low slung, so sniping over a hill means you expose your whole body. Arms are wide, which is a double edged sword, you can shoot around corners with one arm in relative safety, but not both at once.

Personally, my dragons are built for strikers:
DRG-5N
Using that as a base, XL350, LB10X, ERPPC, SSRM.
Sometimes I use SSRM, others I'll swap out the PPC and SSRM for a LLAS and SRM6.

The dragons real benefit is its massive arm range, with most of its weapons on its arms, you can shoot anything you can see, and with a little practice, can track even the fastest lights, combine with a decent torso twist, (and a decent enough field of view setting) you can shoot almost directly behind yourself.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users