• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 149 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:57 PM

View PostEuphor Kell, on 22 July 2014 - 04:53 PM, said:

Dragons are difficult.
They have been the underdogs since they were introduced.
Armour of a heavy, speed of a medium and punch of a light.
Sounds reasonable?
Except they die so fast because you don't get to use all that armour, they will get cored very quickly, so those hundreds of points of armour will be for naught when your centre only has ~60ish and takes all the hits.

But I still like them, you can't tank with them, their arms are low slung, so sniping over a hill means you expose your whole body. Arms are wide, which is a double edged sword, you can shoot around corners with one arm in relative safety, but not both at once.

Personally, my dragons are built for strikers:
DRG-5N
Using that as a base, XL350, LB10X, ERPPC, SSRM.
Sometimes I use SSRM, others I'll swap out the PPC and SSRM for a LLAS and SRM6.

The dragons real benefit is its massive arm range, with most of its weapons on its arms, you can shoot anything you can see, and with a little practice, can track even the fastest lights, combine with a decent torso twist, (and a decent enough field of view setting) you can shoot almost directly behind yourself.

Hm.. That sounds interesting.. I might try some of those loadouts.

Also, anyone who has some experience with the Quickdraw, can you go to the thread I am about to post and give some opinions on those loadouts?

#42 Cold Cash

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 165 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:01 PM

I'd say just get your 2 other thunderbolts and xl one of them.

The jumper tbolt is excellent triple ppc boat and runs at about 75.

#43 Shadewolfe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 149 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:05 PM

View PostCold Cash, on 22 July 2014 - 05:01 PM, said:

I'd say just get your 2 other thunderbolts and xl one of them.

The jumper tbolt is excellent triple ppc boat and runs at about 75.

I was planning on eliting the Tbolt's but I was gonna keep the 9S because of a mix of it being a special edition mech, and Mech Bay limitations. Although I suppose I can forgo a IS Light Mech for the moment.

#44 Sug

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:07 PM

View PostDarkwolfe, on 22 July 2014 - 04:38 PM, said:

I'm feeling the same way, but not because of speed (Havent had a chance to check that yet obviously), but because of the tonnage. I am having so much difficulty in Smurfy's trying to build a loadout for each QD variant because I just dont have the tonnage for what I want with a STD unless I go super small engine and have no speed. Do you think an XL320 would be okay across the board for a QD?

Had to dig but there's some QD talk here. XL's and speed seem to be the consensus. I just had a 320xl laying around so that's what I went with. 300xl is more universal but will only get you to 89kph. I'd like to have been closer to 100kph but couldn't do it with my build.

After leveling QD's I only kept the 4H because it has the most missile hardpoints and I was looking to brawl with SRMs. There are other builds people use, 3 LLasers or LRM boats, but there are other mechs that can run those better. Not too many fast jumping SRM boat heavies though.

I'm actually thinking about trying to make a similar build with a Griffin or a Wolverine for the faster que times and to alleviate the guilt associated with blowing a heavy slot on a QD.

Tbolts are another chassis I love for the fluff but abandoned because other mechs did it better : / Just can't do too much with energy boats.

Edited by Sug, 22 July 2014 - 05:11 PM.

#45 Shadewolfe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 149 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:12 PM

View PostSug, on 22 July 2014 - 05:07 PM, said:

Had to dig but there's some QD talk here. XL's and speed seem to be the consensus. I just had a 320xl laying around so that's what I went with. 300xl is more universal but will only get you to 89kph. I'd like to have been closer to 100kph but couldn't do it with my build.

After leveling QD's I only kept the 4H because it has the most missile hardpoints and I was looking to brawl with SRMs. There are other builds people use, 3 LLasers or LRM boats, but there are other mechs that can run those better. Not too many fast jumping SRM boat heavies though.

I'm actually thinking about trying to make a similar build with a Griffin or a Wolverine for the faster que times and to alleviate the guilt associated with blowing a heavy slot on a QD.

Tbolts are another chassis I love for the fluff but abandoned because other mechs did it better : / Just can't do too much with energy boats.

I ended up making a new thread with the trashfits I came up with. Reading through the other thread tho

#46 Wingbreaker

Troubadour

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 1,724 posts
  • LocationThe city that care forgot

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:40 PM

If you want a brawling Dragon, the 1N is your best bet.

Use the left torso and arm as your shield when necessary. The Gauss gives you some poking ability, but be careful to save it for once the fight begins in earnest. Use the mediums first, and follow it in with a Gauss shell about half way through your burn, if the opponent isn't twisting sufficiently. Follow up with the SRM blast from close range, and egress. Once you've gotten speed tweak, you'll be moving at a decent 81kph.

You can change the srms to a single 6 pack and add a third medium laser on the Fang, Flame, or the 1C.

This being said, the Flame is the best Dragon. The 1N/1C come in second, with the 5N being something of a one-or-two trick pony. The Fang is a 1N that traded away its best weapon slot for an extra energy point.

The Flame can also accomplish an old favorite: Peak and pop with your left side, shield with your right. Remember that the high LT mount is excellent for hill humping. Alternatively, move one medium back to the left. Most people will try for your side torsos, thinking that every Dragon is an XL. You can punish them for this.

If you feel like an insanity wolf brawler, you might enjoy this monstrosity. Don't **** up.

I've played Durgons since CB, and still pub around in them. Play against the curve and do things people don't expect, and it will excel. The chassis isn't good, but it's certainly not the worst. It is a good teacher for damage spreading and maneuvering for angles. The high points on the 1C/1N/Flame are good for learning to hill hump. However, if you **** up, you'll know.

#47 Verrue

• PipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 80 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:36 AM

@ Darkwolf:

Try this build for your fang :

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...15b44a0b34e7278

try get radar deprivation module, target info gathering or/and AC/10 range (2)

Snipe with erPPC with the high left shoulder mount; the Enegry on that place is on the same height that your cockpit and you can fire nice from cover.

AC/10 and 2 medium laser for close range fight should not heat too much, fire the ERPPC for aditional punch . keep 3 ammo of ac/10. less and you may miss some on a good hunt.

xl 340 give you 101 km/h to stay alive and hide when needed.

I pilot a Flame since open beta ans still kick people behind in it, be it clanny or IS; everyone underestimate the dragon but dont worry, its a nice challenge.

Edited by Verrue, 23 July 2014 - 03:43 AM.

#48 Voivode

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:26 PM

View PostWingbreaker, on 22 July 2014 - 05:40 PM, said:

If you feel like an insanity wolf brawler, you might enjoy this monstrosity. Don't **** up.

Also a nice build, but I do have to wonder why you'd but the AC20 and PPC on the same side? No XL so you can survive losing a torso, why make it easier to disarm you?

#49 Wingbreaker

Troubadour

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 1,724 posts
  • LocationThe city that care forgot

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:26 AM

View PostVoivode, on 23 July 2014 - 12:26 PM, said:

Also a nice build, but I do have to wonder why you'd but the AC20 and PPC on the same side? No XL so you can survive losing a torso, why make it easier to disarm you?

Shielding. The Dragon's new(ish) hitboxes are actually surprisingly capable of retaining the damage to the side torso. You're still going to take mostly front CT, especially from anything at equal or higher-than elevation.

Also maintaining pinpoint accuracy, though this is generally less of an issue for Dragon Pilots.

Edit: I also forgot that stripping the right arm allows for an extra ton of ammo or heat sink, which is always nice in such a limited build.

Edited by Wingbreaker, 24 July 2014 - 08:27 AM.

#50 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:19 PM

I've been messing with my Flame more and I still dont get it...

it is just out classed by everything and doesn't do a whole lot to help out either. If you get caught even semi alone, you die in an instant, especially VS the clan boys. the top mount AC still leaves you exposed well enough for everyone to pick on your face. the large nose makes you exposed from the side.

The load out possibilities are just limiting.. As someone said somewhere you get the weapon loadout of the light.

Though I need to try that that 2 ML, PPC, AC10.

It jst does'nt seem to have a place, you can't brawl with it and you can't snipe with it so it sits around like a huge light that can't go places quickly.

#51 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:32 PM

If you use a dragon put all but 2 points of armor on the front CT and use an XL engine its very safe, just be very wary of whats behind you and it will work just fine.

#52 gunghoblazes

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationEverywhere at once.

Posted 29 July 2014 - 03:45 PM

The Dragon is Awesome and the Awesome is Dragon. They both like muffins...win/win ;)

#53 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:09 PM

Here are couple Flame setups,tested with 1C

Gauss sniper

Fast gauss sniper,works very well in Flame because the high ballistic mount

All energy

Fast skirmisher,low slung arms of the Dragon might cause some problems on the Flame,but the speed is always nice.

Clan light hunter

AC10 + lots of ammo,nuff said.

Adjust the armor values to taste.

#54 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:03 AM

have you ever tried the all energy with 2 less DHS and 2 MPL instead?

i think i need to try it, I have been playing around a lot lately with LPLs on things and I am really liking them over LL which always seem to just suck no matter how many you have and how much you are pounding on someone with them.

what about something silly like an LBX10 + 4MPL?

Edited by Bigbacon, 30 July 2014 - 06:16 AM.

#55 BOWMANGR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 220 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:34 PM

View PostBigbacon, on 30 July 2014 - 06:03 AM, said:

After reading this statement my Dragon 1C 4MPL + UAC5 + SRM6 build is sad now. :P

Edited by BOWMANGR, 30 July 2014 - 02:35 PM.

#56 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:43 PM

View PostBigbacon, on 30 July 2014 - 06:03 AM, said:

have you ever tried the all energy with 2 less DHS and 2 MPL instead?

i think i need to try it, I have been playing around a lot lately with LPLs on things and I am really liking them over LL which always seem to just suck no matter how many you have and how much you are pounding on someone with them.

Yes,i have tried,it runs a bit hot IMO to be really effective.

And LBX 10 + 4 MPL sounds like it could work.

#57 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:00 PM

View PostBOWMANGR, on 30 July 2014 - 02:34 PM, said:

After reading this statement my Dragon 1C 4MPL + UAC5 + SRM6 build is sad now. :D

Still not as silly as a LBX10 on my Ember.

ok So I tried 4MLs + LBX10 + 3 tons mmo + STD300.

also did a 1 LL + 2 MLs + LBX10

works ok-ish

Edited by Bigbacon, 04 August 2014 - 02:42 PM.

#58 UBCslayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 233 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:05 PM

Try a massive engine, and AC 10, and 4 ML.

#59 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:51 PM

View PostDarkwolfe, on 22 July 2014 - 05:05 PM, said:

I was planning on eliting the Tbolt's but I was gonna keep the 9S because of a mix of it being a special edition mech, and Mech Bay limitations. Although I suppose I can forgo a IS Light Mech for the moment.

If i was you, i would go with the T-bolts.. You already have um, so get your last to master them, It is a giant difference.. Build it to compliment his.. for me, an XL-280 or 300 is the way to go.. But those are expensive engines if you don't have one.. But i'd say buy a mech with one, the centurian can get a XL-300, or a cataphract 3D for the XL-280.. I like the extra speed and fire power on these mechs with um.. for me i think 65 tons is the limit on the XL engines, or at least to this point anyway.. :D

One of the T-bolts can get a Pair of ER-LLs on the right torso, along with a bunch of other weapons for shorter range, i think a SRM6+3MPL's is what i run.. Fast mech, can snipe and do decent brawl damage.

Your biggest issue you are going to have is you are going to be going 2 people into a group drop,, so that makes things harder these days. I really wish they would just add some small groups to the solo drop, maybe add a group of 2 to each side.. getting a bunch of small groups verse a large drop never ends well.

That said.. the 5N with a gauss and 2 ERLL's is great fun.. there is also another that can do some interesting load outs, with a pair of streaks+bap and a big engine for helping hunt, fast flank and hit and runs..

last but not least, give your friend a bit.. let him get the grand dragon thing out of his system.. if you stick around for a while, you will defiantly be trying other mechs in the future.. :wacko:

#60 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:55 PM

View PostCookiemonter669, on 29 July 2014 - 04:09 PM, said:

Clan light hunter

AC10 + lots of ammo,nuff said.

Adjust the armor values to taste.

This looks like a mech i would enjoy... Nice flank/hit and run mech.. Great for small wolf pack.. add a couple of lights, or a medium/light, and that would be a Cap pack you would not want to mess with.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users