588 replies to this topic

#381 Kraven Kor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:50 PM

View PostRetroActive, on 31 July 2014 - 01:40 PM, said:

Why not leave the number of mech module slots as they were before and ADD the weapon and consumable slots to all mechs? That still encourages people to use the useless weapon modules and spend cbills on the consumables. Sounds like a win/win for everyone.

Or again make it a choice.

You get the 1 "Universal Slot" on all mechs and some have a second universal slot. Then you can opt to add 1 Mech Module Slot, or 1 Consumable and 1 Weapon Module slot, at various points, to a max of 3-4 Mech Modules and 1-2 Consumable / Weapon Mods.

So you could have:
  • 3 (4) Mech Modules
  • 2 (3) Mech Modules, 2 Weapon Modules
  • 2 (3) Mech Modules, 2 Consumables
  • 2 (3) Mech Modules, 1 Weapon Mod, 1 Consumable
  • 1 (2) Mech Modulse, 2 Weapon Mods, 2 Consumable
With the max always being 3-4 Mech Modules, and 2 Weapon Mods or Consumables.

And again this would have been better received if Weapon Modules were:
  • Actually useful
  • Actually here in more variety, rather than a far off promise of more variety
  • Not insanely expensive for the tiny benefit they offer.

#382 Ensaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 831 posts
  • LocationOn a frozen rock .....

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:55 PM

I'm all for the Omni, or Uni slot type. I'm for whatever replaces what was taken away from me.

#383 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:59 PM

Well I know what i will be doing for the foreseeable future.....

Loading up Arty and Air and 3 modules (NO WEAPON MODS MIND YOU) in my FS9-H, going into SOLO QUEUE and showing the other 98% what they have to look forward to as they get better in the game. I suggest EVERYONE else does the same....I will see ya all there! Lets drop 48 strikes on each other and see if we can end a game without shooting weapons! Load up and show the masses what they are doing which was what WE wanted If we can change the way the majority feels we change the game right? That is what I'm getting from this thread.

Apparently that 98% that DOES NOT post on forums DOES NOT spend RL cash, and DOES NOT have any commitment or dream for this game someone magically has a voice which no one sees, no one hears but PGI knows what they want?

Stop trying to act like mind readers and just do what is asked....if you are experimenting with us then do so in the TEST SERVERS! i dont mind being a guinea pig but at least let me know this is temporary! Destroying the game temporarily is annoying and unprofessional IMO.

To think if i got away with this kinda stuff with my business, releasing bad products with no assurance of fixes or reimbursement if its undesirable or just plain doesn't work. Or even to make changes with known products BEFORE i let my customers know....i would be out of business in months.

#384 RetroActive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationFL, USA

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:02 PM

View PostYokaiko, on 31 July 2014 - 01:49 PM, said:

You can't make me use weapons mods, everything is too hot already.

I'm not suggesting that you actually use weapon modules...that would be ridiculous...they suck. I'm just saying that it seems like PGI is trying to encourage the use of weapon mods with this change.

Leaving mech modules as they were before and adding the weapon mod and consumable slots would do the same thing to encourage the use of weapon mods as it seems like PGI is trying to do with the current implementation and would also cause much less community outrage.

#385 Odins Fist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:07 PM

View PostRetroActive, on 31 July 2014 - 02:02 PM, said:

Leaving mech modules as they were before and adding the weapon mod and consumable slots would do the same thing to encourage the use of weapon mods as it seems like PGI is trying to do with the current implementation and would also cause much less community outrage.

Forced to drop 2 Mech Modules off of Mech..

Bought 2 Weapons Modules, upgraded both to Tier 2 and installed them..

Noticed no increase in performance..

Predicting a lot of Empty Weapons Module Slots..
Predicting lots of Arti/Airstrike consumables..

Thoughts..??

Edited by Odins Fist, 31 July 2014 - 02:07 PM.

#386 RetroActive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationFL, USA

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:11 PM

View PostOdins Fist, on 31 July 2014 - 02:07 PM, said:

Forced to drop 2 Mech Modules off of Mech..

Bought 2 Weapons Modules, upgraded both to Tier 2 and installed them..

Noticed no increase in performance..

Predicting a lot of Empty Weapons Module Slots..
Predicting lots of Arti/Airstrike consumables..

Thoughts..??

How is that any different that what is currently implemented? Most weapon module slots are already empty. Most consumable slots are already filled with strikes.

I'm suggesting that they change the number of mech module slots back to where the slots were before. Most had 2 before mastery, some had more.

#387 Felio

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:13 PM

I still feel that with this change, artillery and air strikes will be too good.

I say increase the number of explosions with proportionately less damage per explosion, but make them do random location damage. Basically make them damage targets more like streak missiles do.

Also extend the global team cooldown dramatically and link artillery and air strike to the same cooldown.

#388 Odins Fist

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:14 PM

View PostRetroActive, on 31 July 2014 - 02:11 PM, said:

How is that any different that what is currently implemented?

Uh... I was forced to remove (2) Mech Modules that I could run before with 4 "anything" slots.

That's how... Have a swell day. :) ?

Edited by Odins Fist, 31 July 2014 - 02:15 PM.

#389 senaiboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 372 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:16 PM

Weapon modules are a bad idea. It is neither a solution to ANY problem or benefits game balance in ANY way.

Seeing that the majority of mech builds only use 1 or 2 primary weapons, the weapon modules serve no purpose but to augment these weapons when there is no need to. Also, it DISCOURAGES weapon variety.

Please, PGI, consider what purpose weapon modules have in the first place.

#390 RetroActive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationFL, USA

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:16 PM

View PostOdins Fist, on 31 July 2014 - 02:14 PM, said:

Uh... I was forced to remove (2) Mech Modules that I could run before with 4 "anything" slots.

That's how... Have a swell day. :) ?

Yes....and my suggestion was to bump your mech module slots back up to 4 in your DDC. Why are we arguing here?

#391 Odins Fist

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:17 PM

View PostRetroActive, on 31 July 2014 - 02:16 PM, said:

Yes....and my suggestion was to bump your mech module slots back up to 4 in your DDC. Why are we arguing here?

I don't know

Edited by Odins Fist, 31 July 2014 - 02:18 PM.

#392 Sandslice

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:18 PM

View PostBSK, on 31 July 2014 - 01:02 PM, said:

Do me a favour, pick a Dire Wolf, anyone. Any loadout you want. Any weapons. But just 1 module.

Then play conquest mode.

If you get more than 100 damage, consider yourself ilKhan ..

Before the change, I didn't have any modules on my DWFs, except zoom on one of them; and it tends to go one of three ways, regardless of mode.

-Low damage due to not finding / reaching the engagement;
-Low (average 180) damage due to being focused down - with 0-2 kills;
-Moderate to high damage and 0-3 kills, especially if not running the Prime (I haven't found a good Prime config that has the feel of the Prime rather than cloning the A or B yet.)

When my DWFs get killed by "he is in my behind," it's either from beyond Seismic range, or during a furball when every direction has something behind me - and of course the Mitsubishi Daishi can't turn all that well, even doubled (a challenge, to be sure.)

I'm not even all that good, though I have moments.

Clan Earthen Pangolin can into ilClan, quiaff? :)

#393 RetroActive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationFL, USA

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:18 PM

View PostOdins Fist, on 31 July 2014 - 02:17 PM, said:

Because I NEVER posted in reference to ANYTHING you posted.

You quoted me in your original post on the subject...

Whatever....move along.

#394 Odins Fist

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:20 PM

View PostRetroActive, on 31 July 2014 - 02:18 PM, said:

You quoted me in your original post on the subject...

Whatever....move along.

So you thought I was arguing with you by quoting you?

ALSO: How do you know I was talking about my Atlas D-DC..??
That wasn't in my quote :)

You spying on me?
DOUBLE EDIT: Whatever "Move Along".....

Edited by Odins Fist, 31 July 2014 - 02:22 PM.

#395 Sky Hawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • LocationDeep Periphery, aka Hungary

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:21 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 31 July 2014 - 10:14 AM, said:

The principle behind the limitations on Module Slots is to force a hard line decision as to what adjustments you make to your 'Mechs. Do you want to take Radar Deprivation or Seismic Sensor? Which is going to align with your playstyle?

The design approach has always been this... we plan on releasing a LOT more modules (there are 3 more tiers of weapon modules and range isn't the only property being addressed) for both weapons and 'Mechs. Basically this will be opening a large field of possible selections. The module slot restriction makes that decision a very important one when customizing the loadout of your 'Mech. There will be tough choices you will have to make as to which modules you bring with you. Different loadouts require different modules and this is where the fine tuning aspect of 'Mech customization comes into play.

So I'm giving you the incentive behind the design calls made and I hope that clears up some of the frustrations you have. Give it a go, adapt and see what happens. It's all I can ask.

Dear Paul,

First, I can't speak for the brawler/scouter/spotter, but I try to play/level actually the Highlander series and some other Mechs as LRM-Boats.. Till this patch, with mostly good results.. I have no problem, with the Seismic/Dep decision... My problem is:

- Will I see ANYTHING over 2-300 m, and could non-lock-fire a slow ECM or Shutdown Mech in long range, OR
- Will I follow a target behind the terrain, and let my Missiles enough locktime to hit the target there, OR
- Will I defend myself, and will I see the movement any enemy unit in the near (both front AND backside), to proper decide, I am in high danger or not?

And it's an OR question, because I HAVE JUST 1 SLOT! So what? An Advanced Zoom OR Target Decay OR Seismic Sensor? I think, I really need ALL this 3 Module to full play my role as LRM-Boat at the end. And without them I will be a handicap for my team.. And least I need both the AZ and SS under the leveling-time too.. So what? Should I play another role? (Because I can't, I have none of the skills I need for those. I can't aim, I can't follow more then 1 target (max. is 2!), or drive my Mech with high speed.)... I don't want "Luxury-Moduls" (Dep, Climb, Fall.dmg..), I just the minimal ones, which I really need for my role.

And second, I think, it would be a cool littte down the community, if you SAY some CONCRET EXAMLES, which Moduls do you plans.. Which Mech Moduls could be better, than those we alredy have? I can ONLY think of one: WORKING RADAR (let we say, about 1960+). I play this game since just about 1 year, but what I heard, the sentence: "WE PLAN...." is not really.. hm.. you know.. that rock hard here....

PS. Before you say, that the AZ is useless for me, please try to play without it, in lowest resolution, FULL-LOW setting, in a near dead, 10 years old, 16" Monitor, with 21 FPS... Just try..

#396 RetroActive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • LocationFL, USA

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:24 PM

View PostOdins Fist, on 31 July 2014 - 02:20 PM, said:

So you thought I was arguing with you by quoting you?

ALSO: How do you know I was talking about my Atlas D-DC..??
That wasn't in my quote :)

You spying on me?
DOUBLE EDIT: Whatever "Move Along".....

Yes...I am standing behind you right now. :D

#397 Odins Fist

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:27 PM

View PostRetroActive, on 31 July 2014 - 02:24 PM, said:

Yes...I am standing behind you right now. :)

Stop freaking me out :D

#398 Kraven Kor

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:32 PM

View PostOdins Fist, on 31 July 2014 - 02:27 PM, said:

Stop freaking me out :D

Get a room, you two! :)

#399 LordLosh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 409 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:51 PM

how and why does it take TWO patches to implement a simple change as air/arty lock 1 per mech. Not a cry engine guy and I sympathize with you on some things that need to be done as i know coding can be a pain staking process but this is a pretty straight forward easy fix you could roll out in an hour or day at max!?>

#400 L3GR0DANCER

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 51 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 03:04 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 31 July 2014 - 10:14 AM, said:

*Grabs fire extinguisher*

I just talked with Alex on this and I've requested the airstrike only limitation to the Clans to be removed. The initial separation is something I requested a while ago but after seeing your feedback I don't see the need to remove that module completely for the Clans.

Inner Sphere:
* Can use Air Strikes
* Can use Artillery

Clans:
* Can use Air Strikes
* Can use Artillery

HOWEVER:
Only one of each type can be fielded on a given 'Mech. So no, you will not be able to take 1 Air and 1 Arty on a single 'Mech.

To re-iterate again... the Master Module Slot (unlocked via mastering your 'Mech) is being changed to be a combo slot where you can put another Weapon Module OR a 'Mech Module.

The principle behind the limitations on Module Slots is to force a hard line decision as to what adjustments you make to your 'Mechs. Do you want to take Radar Deprivation or Seismic Sensor? Which is going to align with your playstyle? Modules were never meant to be a "leveling" system for your 'Mech where you eventually get everything put on your 'Mech.

The design approach has always been this... we plan on releasing a LOT more modules (there are 3 more tiers of weapon modules and range isn't the only property being addressed) for both weapons and 'Mechs. Basically this will be opening a large field of possible selections. The module slot restriction makes that decision a very important one when customizing the loadout of your 'Mech. There will be tough choices you will have to make as to which modules you bring with you. Different loadouts require different modules and this is where the fine tuning aspect of 'Mech customization comes into play.

So I'm giving you the incentive behind the design calls made and I hope that clears up some of the frustrations you have. Give it a go, adapt and see what happens. It's all I can ask.

Your prevaricating and obfuscations have blought gleat'a shame to the Dragon. Now go to the garden, and srit your berry.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users