Are Awesome's Closer To Actually Awesome Now?

45 replies to this topic

#21 Voivode

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 12:23 PM

One of mine is triple PPC (standard) Here's what I'm currently running. Most of my mechs are ever evolving builds, I like variety :P

Awesome 9M

Awesome PB

Awesome 8V

Awesome 8R

#22 Sandslice

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 01:13 PM

I used to run Awesomes all the time in OB - and only set them aside in order to try out other chassis that'd popped up since I'd stopped playing (Phoenix, Clan, etc.)

Now that I've picked it up again, though, I've been trying something a bit different with my newest 8Q.

AWS-8Q

Currently packing zoom and sensor range for modules. The absolute sensor range on this setup is delicious, plus it has a bit of extra short-range protection in the mediums. Zoom because I happen to like zoom, plus limited GXP access for the moment.

#23 Elyam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 538 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 04 August 2014 - 01:50 PM

I can feel the difference with the changes in the Awesome. Did well this week with an 8Q: 275XL, 2 ERPPC on the RA, 4 LPLAS in LT/RT (3 triggers). Devastating.

Edited by Elyam, 04 August 2014 - 01:50 PM.

#24 VirtualSmitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 528 posts
  • LocationHilton Head, Holy Terra

Posted 05 August 2014 - 04:37 AM

I'm running a 4 ppc 8Q and doing well with it. The changes are noticeable. I do wish they would have spread the damage resistance quirk across the side torsos though.

#25 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:02 AM

Here is a video of how awesome the awesome is versus clans.

View My Video

Yepp.

#26 Sergey Kosinskiy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 651 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:43 AM

And you point is?

#27 Voivode

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:49 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 05 August 2014 - 05:02 AM, said:

Here is a video of how awesome the awesome is versus clans.

View My Video

Yepp.

I've seen that happen to every mech in the game. You crest a hill when already damaged and try to count the incoming AC rounds, you'll go down fast. Doesn't matter what you're in.

It's pretty funny when a Spider does it. I mean, come on dude, it's a spider, all you have to do is run fast and 80% of the damage will slip away into the ether.

#28 Panzerjotun

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 264 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:27 PM

My 8R is still the best rainmaker in my arsenal.

#29 White Bear 84

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:35 PM

I went out boating LRMS in my 8R to get the mechbay this weekend, 5 rounds later and challenge won.

This mech still has some challenges, but the changes they have made are for the better. You do see more on the battlefield these days though..

#30 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:36 PM

View PostWhite Bear 84, on 18 August 2014 - 04:35 PM, said:

I went out boating LRMS in my 8R to get the mechbay this weekend, 5 rounds later and challenge won.

This mech still has some challenges, but the changes they have made are for the better. You do see more on the battlefield these days though..

The energy buff has helped a lot. Of course, all of this could have been avoided, if the mech wasn't made wider than an Atlas.

#31 LiGhtningFF13

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationBetween the Flannagan's Nebulea and the Pleiades Cluster

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:43 PM

By the way were are my Awesome variants?! Can't find them in my mechlab! Did I sell them?! Gosh can't remember them anymore so much time passed away.

#32 Kamies

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 234 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:49 PM

After the Awesome buffs my K/D and W/L ratios have over doubled from 0,88 to +2.

And the CT buff? I have tanked my XL-Awesome many times under 25% health. My record is 15% health with all weapons still functional.

The change is big and I think it is now close to being awesome. New meta? No.

#33 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:31 PM

I picked up the 8Q and 8T tonight, last two awesomes. I mastered the others over a year ago, and rarely play them except for the 8R i get out for lulz once in a while.

I put a fairly silly loadout on my T for its first match, LPL and ML in each arm, ML in head, BAP, and DHS everywhere, STD 300. No missiles, though I had intended to put some LRM in the torsos initially, I wanted to try the laser stuff so I just went with it.
Had a good run, not some kind of outstanding match or anything, but did solid dmg with good assists, one kill. Mostly just hung with the team, it was a fairly odd match on tourmaline whewre both teams were in the center, basically on opposite sides of a wall, trying to out flank each other while completely blinded by ECM everywhere on both teams.

What I decided: The model is too big to "react" torso twist like you can in other mechs even of similar size. Now, I have some bad lag sometimes, so that doesnt help(I even desynched again once tonight) but in general, The awesome has to stand there and eat it, twist or not, they can pretty easily hit torso boxes instead of arms if they try even a little. Now, in ye olde days, the 9M I played had an easier time of it as it had a solid 15kph on these two, and that translated into a lot better turn rate..... which is my big point:

The Turn rate on the 300STD Awesomes is too damn slow. Now, the V and R I played as mostly missile boats, it wasnt that bg a deal. The Q though, damn son, I can twist torso al the way left, right and back to left twice before the legs can turn 90 degrees. And IMO, that plays a big part in why it gets shredded a lot of times.

Anyway, match 2 or 3 in the T, I swapped to smaller lasers(Ml) and put a pair of LRM10 on it, had a decent outting in Frozen cept for a desynch that ended my match for me(we were down by 3 mechs, but they were beat up and I had solid armor left, like yellow) and after that I went to the Q, 3 PPC and 3ML. had some really fair matches in it, but all 4 were losses(a lot due to team choice, but 2 for sure were just bad match ups) Again, Turn rate is attrocious, and I have to say the 300 limit on them feels out of place with the rest of the game anymore. I think if they raised it to 325, it could really help for those loadouts where you want to up the turn rate a bit and fight more up close with shorter lasers.

The only thing I noticed on the Q I felt held it back, was the stupid ghost heat on the third PPC. If you could alpha all three PC on it, it would turn it to rather fearsome, instead of "overgrown medium" firepower. For reference, I run on my last two dragons to master(1 and 5N) twin PPC and AC10(before it was meta, I only play them once or twice a month) and it is both easier and more effective dmg output with just one heavy ballistic like that, because no ghost heat. PLus the dragon with a 300 runs like, 35kph faster lol.

Anyway, i know it wouldnt be cannon, but upping the engine rating, or at least turn rate(and maybe run speed by like 5kph) would go a long way to brining the Awesome up to the level of say the battlemaster.

#34 tredmeister

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 112 posts
  • LocationDeep Periphery

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:05 PM

I always loved playing my Awesomes, even when they were considered a joke with most MWO pilots.
The hitbox changes and quirks have helped them out a bit, but piloting them is still hard mode.
Though I know it will never happen, I do wish they would put their model on a STRICT diet plan...

Posted Image

#35 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:36 PM

Awesome was my first Mech despite all its negatives, drove all but the 9M.

There was also the hitbox change where the CT was shrunk and what it lost was added to the ST. Despite what some say, this actually improved the survival of Awesomes especially those pilots who know how to shield the RIght Side with the Left.

Of all my Awesomes, the 8Q was the best before the changes and is probably better now. You can run 3PPCs but I chain fire them, you can Alpha 2PPCs.

The 8R is some people's LRM boat choice though I think it has poor weapons for self-protection. There is the Brawling version, the only one that has a chance of all the variants.

I consider the 8T the better LRM boat as you will get 4-5 MLs for protection and given what I have done with 1 LRM20 or 2 LRM10s on a Medium Mech, 2 LRM15s should be enough. I ran this with 2 LRM15s and 2 LLs for distance fighting.

The 8V is an oddball, my favorite is not so viable now with Ghost Heat.

PB I just finished with a variation of my 8V, was OK and close to 8Q play.

I am just not ready to run the 9M yet, if I am I may just try for a faster 8Q as it was built.

If anything, the negative turn rate penalty quirk is its bane, even the PB with a bonus there has a hard time tracking a Light coming to harrass an Awesome. All you can do is back up to a wall and cry for backup.

#36 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:36 PM

After running my T and Q some more, I have decided in the current game, Awesome needs to have the T and Q, maybe the V, they need the engine cap raised to 325. Would help the turn rate, would allow the 80 ton mech to actually keep up with most of the team.

They did it for HBK, so it had precedent to alter out of cannon.

#37 Rando Slim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 459 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 02:40 PM

Ive been getting into the Awesome recently and the cooling buffs make a big difference. You can fire 4 large lasers at once and its not a big deal. I'm no expert though, I either get 3 kills and 600 damage or no kills and 200 damage. I refuse to cave and run it as a missile boat. I actually like the hardpoints, don't bother with the arms so much, the torso hardpoints are actually in god spots in my opinion. Besides ALL the clan mechs have low slung arms so you get used to it after piloting those.

#38 Gorgo7

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,220 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 07 September 2014 - 04:12 PM

Changed my Awesome 8Q from a 3 ERLLaser, 4 MLaser to a 4 LLaser, 3 MLaser today. The ER nerfs make me think this is the way to go with the Awesome.
First game broke 1000 (river city night), second game over 600 Alpine. No hot maps yet.
They were my first assaults and I love them. They could use a larger engine though.

#39 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 September 2014 - 05:22 PM

View PostGorgo7, on 07 September 2014 - 04:12 PM, said:

Changed my Awesome 8Q from a 3 ERLLaser, 4 MLaser to a 4 LLaser, 3 MLaser today. The ER nerfs make me think this is the way to go with the Awesome.
First game broke 1000 (river city night), second game over 600 Alpine. No hot maps yet.
They were my first assaults and I love them. They could use a larger engine though.

Agreed, they could use a bump to 350. Only the 9M, and the PB can mount big engines (385, and 400 respectively)

#40 IllCaesar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 05:46 PM

I would support an engine cap increase for the AWS chassis. I'd be great for the 8V, with its rather atypical hardpoints. My 8V is currently set for 300STD engine, 2 LPLs, 3 SRM4s, and one ERLL, and while weak at range, its very strong up close. Unfortunately, due to the slow torso twist, it can't take full advantage of its weapon set, and really gets torn up by anything bigger than it, as well as the Timber Wolf. An increase in engine cap size would do it wonders. I think the 8Q with 3 PPCs would benefit from the increased speed as well. As it is, you might as well go with 4 LLs because of the how slow they are, even with capped engines (which I use in all of mine).

Edited by MarsAtlas, 07 September 2014 - 05:46 PM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users