Fochts BT Art

176 replies to this topic

#101 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:47 PM

The Puma is the best, hands down, but that Shadow Hawk on those "old tech" picture was really nice too, just the color scheme and lack of detail puts him under the Puma for me. ;)

#102 Zervziel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 907 posts
  • LocationTharkad

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:10 AM

It's a shame that sometimes when you take those pictures outside the sunlight washes out some of the finer details.

#103 KaosDog

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:37 PM

The Raidar X / Rifleman was the best imho. Beautiful work mate .. cheers !!

#104 Waylandx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 273 posts
  • LocationAt the computer!

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:32 PM

OMG i wish i had these!

#105 TRK

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 04:00 PM

Mind blowing stuff. You should really consider making a business out of it. Many bucks. But alas, as you say you are never happy with your final product, imagine running a business? LOL

Totally awesome stuff and totally jealous of your talent :ph34r:

#106 CG Anastasius Focht

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:03 PM

Thanks People much appreciated :ph34r:

View PostZervziel, on 10 January 2012 - 02:10 AM, said:

It's a shame that sometimes when you take those pictures outside the sunlight washes out some of the finer details.

Yeah the photography is a hit and miss affair, for every picture that gets posted there are at least 10 shots that get trashed, ive had some excellent advice over the years from modeling forums and the like.
The Sun can be an bonus or a bust, long shadows help give the impression of a large machine, but as you say it has its drawbacks too.
My favourite shots are ones where the mech casts an interesting shadow, so i often take these mornings or afternoons depending on the terrain and direction i'm looking for.
I keep my eye on the weather and when i think its right, set up and snap away, as i said i can take 50 shots and get 5 worth keeping, i'm constantly looking for that "magic" shot, sometimes i get it only to notice some garden hose in the background or similar.
The shots of the T/bolt, griffin and S/hawk for example, i came home after a heavy rainstorm to find the sun shining, but water running over the rocks in the front yard. I grabbed my camera and mechs and started snapping away. The results are what looks like mechs standing beside running water, and i was very happy with the environmental elements in those pics.
Blending the EE's such as ground colour, light and shadows etc with the models is a big part of the pictures.

I'm glad you are enjoying them as much as i do presenting them

Cheers

#107 CG Anastasius Focht

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:18 PM

Posted Image

Custom 20 tonner

#108 B1ackMag3

• PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationWuppertal, NRW, Germany, Terra

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:28 AM

This is REAL Fan Work ... well done! Good Works!

#109 CG Anastasius Focht

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 04:32 PM

Thanks Mate,
1st Vulture/MadDog more or less done

Posted Image

#110 The14th

• PipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 93 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 04:45 PM

These are Bad-***!

#111 Thorolf Kylesson

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 140 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 22 January 2012 - 05:04 PM

I notice you are taking some from the PC games and some from the TRO's. Which do you prefer?

#112 CG Anastasius Focht

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 05:47 PM

Thanks people.
Thats an excellent question TK, The TRO's are always going to be my first love for all things BT, but scratch building by hand/eye from a single pic is hard, getting the form and detail of the rear of a given model is impossible from TRO pics as a rule.
So the PC game varients are easier to build, i can either use the mechlab, or run up a locked server and walk around the game model to get a feel for the shape and detail

#113 CG Anastasius Focht

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:17 PM

Posted Image

#114 CG Anastasius Focht

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:18 PM

Posted Image

#115 Mautty the Bobcat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:42 AM

@Focht. I'm not sure of all the details behind it, but if it has to do with the models being MechWarrior related and Microsoft's ownership of the liscence, you still can technically sell them. What you can't do is make a profit off of what is considered the licensed material (the mech itself). What you can profit on is your time and effort spent on creating the model and painting/texturing it. The mech itself is an owned property but your time and effort can't be categorized under this, thus you don't charge for the mech itself but the work that you did.

Its a little finicky here and there, but if its an entirely different reason then there's nothing that can be done I guess?

A shame though, I would have loved to either commission a Mad Cat (Timber Wolf for you clanner scum (just kiddin')) or a (Mad Dog MKII) Vulture MKII (Source: Sarna.net / MW4 Vulture) in my unit's scheme. =\ It would have been so amazingly epic, if I could afford it right now that is. xD

Anyways, I'm loving all the models, and I'm so badly jealous of not being able to have just 1 to sit on my desk. T_T

Edited by Mautty the Bobcat, 17 February 2012 - 04:42 AM.

#116 rolling thunder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 120 posts
  • LocationSOUTHPORT,UK

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:39 AM

I think the other problem is it's a fun hobby making these mechs but it becomes a chore if you had to make them for someone else. However myself & a few other people would be grateful if you could do a step by step pictured build with patterns if posiible.
I make the card models but there's nothing like a good solid model to make you feel better.I'd have a go at making one {preferably the Vulture} if i have the templates.

#117 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:36 PM

Those Mad Dogs on the second and third pictiure look so... cute. ;)

#118 CG Anastasius Focht

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:57 PM

Thanks guys, there is a build thread here for the maddog, and i do have some templates for this one, though im not sure how i would post them.
And they are only for the larger parts, the smaller assemblys like shoulders etc are done by eye, no plans.

Rolling Thunder hit the nail on the head, making these for someone else would be no fun, i'd be freaking out about the time it took and the quality of the finished product, and if i were to factor in cost of materiel and time, i'd be worried i was charging way too much for a wooden toy.

Even if i were to say charge 100 US for one, thats an insane amount of money to pay for a wooden toy, but at the same time would translate out to about a dollar an hour for my time.

Its a real pity because i would love to be able to cheaply mass produce these for others to enjoy.

If a toy company were to ever approach me and say you build the prototypes, we'll mass produce them, I would say yes without hesitation

#119 Fury1

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationWaiting for the perfect moment...to STRIKE!

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:30 PM

I would give my right nut for a replacement Mad Cat/Timberwolf, had a 12" tall one, then an evil woman disposed of it on me while I was deployed to Iraq ;) one day I will find one. Excellent work man, keep the pics coming

#120 Mautty the Bobcat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:49 PM

View Post[CG]Anastasius Focht, on 17 February 2012 - 01:57 PM, said:

Thanks guys, there is a build thread here for the maddog, and i do have some templates for this one, though im not sure how i would post them.
And they are only for the larger parts, the smaller assemblys like shoulders etc are done by eye, no plans.

Rolling Thunder hit the nail on the head, making these for someone else would be no fun, i'd be freaking out about the time it took and the quality of the finished product, and if i were to factor in cost of materiel and time, i'd be worried i was charging way too much for a wooden toy.

Even if i were to say charge 100 US for one, thats an insane amount of money to pay for a wooden toy, but at the same time would translate out to about a dollar an hour for my time.

Its a real pity because i would love to be able to cheaply mass produce these for others to enjoy.

If a toy company were to ever approach me and say you build the prototypes, we'll mass produce them, I would say yes without hesitation

I understand the reason, the same goes with me for writing or doing anything in a game (such as building in minecraft) even if its not something paid for. I always worry about the outcome quality, if I spent enough time on it, or in the case of getting paid, if I charged too much or too little (ingame currency mod for minecraft or such).

If you really wanted to though, I would suggest contacting Smith & Tinker and see what they think. Who knows, maybe next time we talk to you we'll be talking to the lead model designer? xD

Even if the commercial models were unpainted, I would still gladly buy them because I would either get them commissioned to be painted, or try my hand at it myself anyways. In the meantime...I'm gonna see if there's a Madcat or a Vulture MKII model anywhere that I can put on my desk, I've had a serious craving for one of those two in a good sized model to put on my desk. Miniatures are cool and I really like a lot of them, but I would rather buy a single mech model for somewhat more to sit next to my monitor on my desk.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users