Dev Vlog #7

162 replies to this topic

#41 WarHippy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:18 PM

Removal of heat from weapon mods is a good thing as they were of no interest before.

I'm curious about bidding for contracts with merc corp funds since it seems strange for a merc to be paying anything to fight as that would be the opposite of what a merc is. Upgrading a planets defenses ok, buying a better dropship ok, but paying someone else so you can fight for them makes very little sense.

#42 Onmyoudo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 955 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:27 PM

Nice to have a preview of the star map, and hear Paul mention that planetary conquest is still on course for this year. The new Factory map looks nice too, and above all I like the fact that things actually seem to be making progress. I look forward to having a reason to play beyond mechbay challenges soon.

#43 Naduk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,575 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:28 PM

awesome devlog
it was very nice to hear the question being asked / whole interview instead of just the cut snippets from older vids

keep up the good work, you guys (pgi+ngng) are getting much better at this

#44 Felio

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:29 PM

A looong time ago, back in the days of Ask the Devs, we heard co-op play vs. AI was a part of the master plan. Is it still?

#45 Bartholomew bartholomew

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,250 posts
  • LocationInner sphere drop point

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:30 PM

Question,

When will we get info on what the warchest money gets spent on and a cost estimate on those things?

#46 Reno Blade

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,456 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:34 PM

View PostBartholomew bartholomew, on 21 August 2014 - 02:30 PM, said:

Question,

When will we get info on what the warchest money gets spent on and a cost estimate on those things?

Someone mentioned somewhere (was it facebook?) that the merc leader can use the money to upgrade planet defense or bid for better contracts.

Edit: silly me, its in the text:

The merc unit leader can then use those Posted Images to upgrade defenses on planets, he can bid on contracts for planet takeover, but that won't be in place until the next phase of community warfare comes into place. So don't think this is a way you can share stuff with your friends; that is not what this coffer system is being build for.

Edited by Reno Blade, 21 August 2014 - 02:35 PM.

#47 Laserkid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 160 posts
  • LocationRural Southern Illinois

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:37 PM

View PostBartholomew bartholomew, on 21 August 2014 - 02:30 PM, said:

Question,

That is was one of the permissions. Unit leaders get it by default and may assign the permission to ranks as they see fit.

Edited by Laserkid, 21 August 2014 - 02:37 PM.

#48 Bartholomew bartholomew

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,250 posts
  • LocationInner sphere drop point

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:55 PM

View PostReno Blade, on 21 August 2014 - 02:34 PM, said:

Someone mentioned somewhere (was it facebook?) that the merc leader can use the money to upgrade planet defense or bid for better contracts.

Edit: silly me, its in the text:

View PostLaserkid, on 21 August 2014 - 02:37 PM, said:

That is was one of the permissions. Unit leaders get it by default and may assign the permission to ranks as they see fit.

I Was just wondering when we would get the full info. And if there is more than defenses and contracts involved.

#49 Felio

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 03:07 PM

View PostBartholomew bartholomew, on 21 August 2014 - 02:55 PM, said:

I Was just wondering when we would get the full info. And if there is more than defenses and contracts involved.

On the rare occasions they have said when they will post something, it's been the week before or less.

#50 Astral Esper

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 51 posts
  • LocationChaska, Minnesota

Posted 21 August 2014 - 03:56 PM

View PostWarHippy, on 21 August 2014 - 02:18 PM, said:

Removal of heat from weapon mods is a good thing as they were of no interest before.

I'm curious about bidding for contracts with merc corp funds since it seems strange for a merc to be paying anything to fight as that would be the opposite of what a merc is. Upgrading a planets defenses ok, buying a better dropship ok, but paying someone else so you can fight for them makes very little sense.

Bidding contracts means you want to fight for a certain group and you are trying to out-bid other merc groups who are trying the same thing in hopes the money you earned from the mission will be greater than what you bid. I'm not sure if that is how it will work in game, but that's what it seems like from a more story point of view.

What I'm curious about is planet defenses. If the planets are owned by the major houses or whoever, why would a merc group dish out cash to upgrade that factions defenses? What does the merc group get out of it? Unless merc groups are going to act as separate factions only working for themselves in which case, they aren't really mercs are they? I don't really see why a merc group would want to control a planet. If they have enough power to maintain planets, haven't they pretty much become more than a merc group? I suppose it's possible a merc group would have allegiance to a specific faction and would want them to have as much power as possible, but I don't see how that would work from a gameplay point of view unless they would lose money if a planet they are stationed at is lost to an enemy.

That makes me wonder something, will merc groups be stationed at planets? I don't see why they would be but without that being a thing, I don't see why planet defenses would matter to merc groups. I imagined merc groups just going from planet to planet doing missions for groups willing to pay (the major houses) so why would they be stationed on a planet (from a gameplay point of view)?

I'm sure most of our questions will be answered a little before phase 2 of CW.

#51 Gorgo7

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,216 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 21 August 2014 - 04:01 PM

Excellent message

#52 Clownwarlord

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 21 August 2014 - 04:12 PM

View PostJazriel, on 21 August 2014 - 11:55 AM, said:

Ironically this map is made to suit the IS brawler tactics and harbor the Clanner 1v1 fights.
Well played.

Well its not like IS is attack Clan controlled planets. So in this way kinda synergetic and should be fun to watch. Also considering when they do have Clan vs IS only then we should get some interesting matches due to Clan having only one mech that has ECm and the IS has DDC, 3M, 3L, and a few others. Then you also look at jump jets where the light mechs can get great scouting on this map which will be needed in competitive play. Then with the IS mediums having speed they can zip in and out more easily dropping rounds down a street and running off before getting shot at.

#53 Hoffenstein

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 368 posts
  • LocationThe Great White North

Posted 21 August 2014 - 04:12 PM

Sweet, thanks for the Vlog. Good to know about that map and how detailed it will be ;)

#54 BLOOD WOLF

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 21 August 2014 - 04:13 PM

View PostNikolai Lubkiewicz, on 21 August 2014 - 02:07 PM, said:

Transcript is up. Special thanks to Heffay for the quick work he made in putting it together.

Is there anything that guy can't do?

#55 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 21 August 2014 - 04:21 PM

View PostNicholas Carlyle, on 21 August 2014 - 01:24 PM, said:

Which games are fighting to remove these features?

The single best way to get someone invested into a game is to create a community.

You seem to enjoy splitting the community as much as possible, which is why a rather large portion hates the company you work for.

A big example is Blizzard's Hearthstone lacking any in-game chat and lacking global chats- there is still a bustling Hearthstone community but little in-game vitriol because you can't say anything except to someone who agreed to be your friend.

#56 Lexx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 740 posts
  • LocationSlung below a mech's arm shooting nothing but dirt

Posted 21 August 2014 - 04:31 PM

I don't understand why you used "coffer" for the unit bank. Most people probably don't even know what a coffer is.

I'm thinking "Unit Bank", "Finances" or even "Cache" would be a better terms to use there.

#57 Clownwarlord

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 21 August 2014 - 04:33 PM

View PostVertex99, on 21 August 2014 - 03:56 PM, said:

Bidding contracts means you want to fight for a certain group and you are trying to out-bid other merc groups who are trying the same thing in hopes the money you earned from the mission will be greater than what you bid. I'm not sure if that is how it will work in game, but that's what it seems like from a more story point of view.

What I'm curious about is planet defenses. If the planets are owned by the major houses or whoever, why would a merc group dish out cash to upgrade that factions defenses? What does the merc group get out of it? Unless merc groups are going to act as separate factions only working for themselves in which case, they aren't really mercs are they? I don't really see why a merc group would want to control a planet. If they have enough power to maintain planets, haven't they pretty much become more than a merc group? I suppose it's possible a merc group would have allegiance to a specific faction and would want them to have as much power as possible, but I don't see how that would work from a gameplay point of view unless they would lose money if a planet they are stationed at is lost to an enemy.

That makes me wonder something, will merc groups be stationed at planets? I don't see why they would be but without that being a thing, I don't see why planet defenses would matter to merc groups. I imagined merc groups just going from planet to planet doing missions for groups willing to pay (the major houses) so why would they be stationed on a planet (from a gameplay point of view)?

I'm sure most of our questions will be answered a little before phase 2 of CW.

I wonder if the assets for the mercs will be more in jump ships, drop ships, and things in that nature then planet qwner ship. But then again some panets are owned by mercenaries ... for example, Northwind Highlanders.

#58 AlphaStruck

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 04:54 PM

Donations seems to be a wasted concept. I understand not wanting long time players to artificially enchance a new player using extra c-bills but locking it to those limited purposes really seems to slap units wanting a team/empire building experience in the face. Allowing the unit itself to own and modify mechs with no modules (lost if disbanded and non-transferable) for use by new guys would let us melt our newer unequiped players into the CW idea. Youre lookin at MANY game hours to get someone, even a good player into a useful state due to equipment and mastery limits. The unit could unlock its use (very limited mechbays per DS/Base and small c-bill fee maybe?) for the new guy to compete with while not earning xp in it. Letting him play with the old school players while building himself up on his own time. At least let us offset his consumables for em.

Between the lack of tier system, ghost heat(BANDAID NOT A FIX), matchmaker with 4X3 system throwing it further off, and the UI2.0 that needs a users manuel 500 pages thick with 15 clicks to swap a single weapon, Im amazed you get any new players for more than 10 games, if you are. This could let us keep our new guys interested long enough to learn the game.

#59 lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 918 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 04:55 PM

Regarding new map + cER Large Lasers nerf

Is there any attention being given to the fact that the IS version is more effective in DPS/burn time, and that it'll be more of a nightmare trying to shoot these beams in confined spaces for Clan, but not Inner Sphere? Is this another map the Raven 3L's are intended to dominate with their dual ER's and ECM mixed with their speed?

#60 BLOOD WOLF

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:03 PM

View Post00ohDstruct, on 21 August 2014 - 04:55 PM, said:

Regarding new map + cER Large Lasers nerf

Is there any attention being given to the fact that the IS version is more effective in DPS/burn time, and that it'll be more of a nightmare trying to shoot these beams in confined spaces for Clan, but not Inner Sphere? Is this another map the Raven 3L's are intended to dominate with their dual ER's and ECM mixed with their speed?

any chance they can bring them back to 1.5

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users