• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:46 AM

View PostSandpit, on 03 September 2014 - 04:32 PM, said:

uh huh....
PGi has stated it's not cheating. that's the end of that unless they change their ruling on it.

I coach youth football... One of my golden rules is "Holding is not illegal unless you get caught"... Anyone who has played any competitive level football can attest to this reality.

Point being, holding is deemed illegal thus is penalized... That said, everyone and their grandma holds.

In context to MW:O... Yes, synchronized drops is considered "poor form" and in turn can net varying levels of advantage, largely dependent upon the quality of the opposing team.

That said, it's not "illegal" until PGI outright denounces it... Which would quite honestly be stupid in a "team" (meaning more than one) oriented game... :rolleyes:

Anyone who plays competitive sports knows it's common practice to push the edge of what is consider "acceptable / poor-form" in an effort to net an advantage over their competition... Not saying it's socially acceptable... but that's the reality and life is not filled with padded walls and rounded corners. :P

#883 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:59 AM

View PostRoland, on 03 September 2014 - 05:30 PM, said:

Nah man, you're being silly... Sync dropping isn't the same as taking a well constructed mech.

Taking a well constructed Mech gives a player an advantage over Stock Mechs and poor builds.
Sync drops give a group an advantage over players without comms.

The effect the same. An advantage.

View PostDaZur, on 04 September 2014 - 04:46 AM, said:

IAnyone who plays competitive sports knows it's common practice to push the edge of what is consider "acceptable / poor-form" in an effort to net an advantage over their competition... Not saying it's socially acceptable... but that's the reality and life is not filled with padded walls and rounded corners. :P
Oh dear lord this... Yes this! ^_^

#884 RussianWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 04 September 2014 - 05:08 AM

View PostNick Makiaveli, on 03 September 2014 - 03:08 PM, said:

There you go again. You refuse to see that anyone could have a position other than with you or against you. Then you compound it by insinuating he has sinister motives.

You are a total piece of work.

First I think you need to brush up on your math. The members in a unit, the more likely they are to have members playing etc. The more playing, the greater the odds of it happening.

Second, until they chance the rules and make it officially illegal, then I think it's wrong to call people out for it, as currently they are breaking the rules, and you could give innocent people a bad reputation.

greater odds does not mean high odds. so a 4 in 1000 chance is not significantly more than a 2 in 1000 chance. Both are pretty slim. Unless they are trying to get in game together, those odds likely decrease, not increase.

I didn't paint them one way or the other, simply stated an observation. You are making an assumption as to the implication. You know what they say about assumptions......

View PostAlistair Winter, on 03 September 2014 - 04:08 PM, said:

Wow, how did this thread reach 44 pages? When I read the OP and saw that so many people were commenting, I just suspected that the thread had spiralled into something more useful, since no one actually synch drops anymore.

But then I find out people were actively synch dropping! In a game with a group queue! That's hilarious. It's like discovering that one of your friends is cheating in a friendly game of Monopoly. I don't even know how to respond :)

PS: Eating meat is bad and you should all feel bad.

If I eat too much of it I DO feel bad.... its called heartburn. ;)

#885 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 05:12 AM

View PostRussianWolf, on 03 September 2014 - 11:58 AM, said:

Just say it to his face.... I dare ya.
Posted Image

Nooooooooooooooo. We were on the path to reason, now return to neckbeardism. Gj ppl.
Posted Image
Do something about it!

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 04 September 2014 - 05:13 AM.

#886 RussianWolf

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 04 September 2014 - 05:14 AM

View PostSandpit, on 03 September 2014 - 04:32 PM, said:

uh huh....
PGi has stated it's not cheating. that's the end of that unless they change their ruling on it.

Not really. 2 years ago in a different version of the MM (phase 1 or 2), It was not a "Punishable Exploit", which can just as easily be read as "yes, its an exploit, but we aren't going to punish people for it at this time". With the answer supposed to be Phase 3, which we are supposedly at Phase 4 or 5 now.

#887 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 05:18 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 04 September 2014 - 04:59 AM, said:

Taking a well constructed Mech gives a player an advantage over Stock Mechs and poor builds.
Sync drops give a group an advantage over players without comms.

The effect the same. An advantage.

The effect being an advantage is not the salient point.
Cheating and skill both give you an advantage. Yet they are not regarded the same way.

Not sure what makes people think that everything which achieves a given outcome is equal.

#888 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 04 September 2014 - 05:20 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 04 September 2014 - 05:12 AM, said:

Posted Image

^^ Any relation to Charles Manson? :P

#889 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 05:24 AM

No, but a friend of mine once compared me to John Wayne Gacy. :huh: I had hair then. :unsure:

View PostRoland, on 04 September 2014 - 05:18 AM, said:

The effect being an advantage is not the salient point.
Cheating and skill both give you an advantage. Yet they are not regarded the same way.

Not sure what makes people think that everything which achieves a given outcome is equal.

Until PGI says "No Sync dropping", it isn't cheating.

#890 RussianWolf

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 04 September 2014 - 05:24 AM

can't see through the glare........ ;)

The funny bit about the pic I posted.. He's the Author of V for Vendetta and several others.

Edited by RussianWolf, 04 September 2014 - 05:25 AM.

#891 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 05:26 AM

View PostRussianWolf, on 04 September 2014 - 05:24 AM, said:

can't see through the glare........ ;)

The funny bit about the pic I posted.. He's the Author of V for Vendetta and several others.

Chrome upgrade works better than the tin foil hat
Posted Image
Thats the author! Wild man! (pun intended)

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 04 September 2014 - 05:27 AM.

#892 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 05:32 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 04 September 2014 - 05:24 AM, said:

Until PGI says "No Sync dropping", it isn't cheating.

The use the cheating within the discussion was meant as a means of illustrating how simply having two things result in an advantage does not make them equal.

#893 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 05:35 AM

It's still not cheating or forbidden until PGI says so. So no matter how much players huff and puff, that is presently the fact. So actually they are equal.

#894 Tristan Winter

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 04 September 2014 - 05:41 AM

If people are in so desperate need of an advantage that they have to synch drop in the solo queue, best of luck to them. And God bless them, let them enjoy their meta builds and their MC-bought consumables and air strikes.

If you're one of those people who eats all the free samples at the super market because it's not illegal and there's no sign saying you can only take one of each, who am I to correct you? Enjoy the free samples. And the next time you're in a café, go grab a handful of the free bon-bons near the counter. That's not illegal either. Just ignore the people staring at you.

The world is your oyster, my friends.

#895 RussianWolf

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 04 September 2014 - 05:45 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 04 September 2014 - 05:26 AM, said:

Chrome upgrade works better than the tin foil hat
Posted Image
Thats the author! Wild man! (pun intended)

lol

yep, that Alan Moore http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Alan_Moore

#896 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

View PostNicolai Kabrinsky, on 04 September 2014 - 05:41 AM, said:

If people are in so desperate need of an advantage that they have to synch drop in the solo queue, best of luck to them. And God bless them, let them enjoy their meta builds and their MC-bought consumables and air strikes.

If you're one of those people who eats all the free samples at the super market because it's not illegal and there's no sign saying you can only take one of each, who am I to correct you? Enjoy the free samples. And the next time you're in a café, go grab a handful of the free bon-bons near the counter. That's not illegal either. Just ignore the people staring at you.

The world is your oyster, my friends.

There are people who do those things. So your point isn't all that sharp I am afraid.

#897 nonnex

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

This beard guys on these pictures makes me really scared. It would be an advantage to players wearing beards. good idea, will let grow some.

Edited by nonnex, 04 September 2014 - 05:46 AM.

#898 Tristan Winter

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 04 September 2014 - 05:54 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 04 September 2014 - 05:45 AM, said:

There are people who do those things. So your point isn't all that sharp I am afraid.

Posted Image

#899 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 06:01 AM

View PostNicolai Kabrinsky, on 04 September 2014 - 05:54 AM, said:

Posted Image

You can give me that look all you want, it stopped working on me when I moved out of my parents house, when I was 16! :P

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 04 September 2014 - 06:02 AM.

#900 Tristan Winter

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 04 September 2014 - 06:12 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 04 September 2014 - 06:01 AM, said:

You can give me that look all you want, it stopped working on me when I moved out of my parents house, when I was 16! :P

Well, there's little hope of anyone ever agreeing in a thread like this. We're talking about fundamental values, how people perceive what's right and what's wrong. I won't go so far as saying that it's genetic, or that it's a result of how people were brought up. But changing your view on something as basic as whether or not it's ok to pretend you have a bad back so people will give you their seat on a bus (people do that too, I imagine) isn't something that will happen after a few posts on a gaming forum. It's a fundamental ethical question that would probably take years of life-altering experiences or studies to change.

With that in mind, this thread is largely pointless, because no one is likely to learn anything or change their mind. We just all walk away feeling superior, and more sure of ourselves than ever.

In closing, I will leave this picture for all the meat eaters who have been traumatized by this thread:
Posted Image

Bacon-wrapped onion rings.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users