#741 Nick Makiaveli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:31 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 31 August 2014 - 06:02 PM, said:

And yet, in 37 pages of discussion, not once has there been a statement one way or the other. Until such occurs, both opinions are valid.

Assuming you are saying that PGI hasn't spoken, they did. If they've changed their mind, they need to say something.

Maybe they just don't care enough to say something. Ever thing that it's not common enough to waste the time it would take to make a post on it?

Maybe Mud is a half-blind reckless player who rushes out and dies then whines to cover his own failings?

(FTR, he has stated before he has less than superb vision, and I have personally seen him rush out into the open in several matches.)

#742 bobF

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:45 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 31 August 2014 - 07:20 PM, said:

Nice tone-troll and false argument from authority there, wrapped with an ad hominem. Admittedly you're arguing for the validity of sync dropping in the solo queue (funny name that, amirite?) as something other than an exploit.

No.

I'm arguing that sync dropping, if it even really happens with the alarming frequency the OP claims, has had zero effect on my play in the solo queue (as someone who actually plays regularly in said queue) and therefore this thread is just an exercise in the time-honored and thickly neckbearded tradition of online citizen policing. No different than the guy who threatens to report you in chat for swearing, points it out in the eula, quotes a dev, and emails support about it. And ultimately just as relevant.

Edited by bobF, 31 August 2014 - 10:45 PM.

#743 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:52 PM

Sync Dropping: Does it Work? Without doing any math with arbitrary numbers pulled out of thin air, can we know?

Teamspeak Tuesday... What's that, you ask? No Guts No Galaxy was doing a thing on Twitch.tv/ngngtv for a while called Teamspeak Tuesday, where xImpalerx would grab a few guys from a specific section of their teamspeak server to team up, and then try to sync drop with everyone else that was hanging out. (I don't think this has been done since groups have been removed from the solo queue.) Over the course of 4 or 5 hours they'd get maybe 20 or so games in, during which there were many games where they saw no one that was trying to sync drop. Some games there'd be one or two guys. And there were often 15 to 20 guys trying to sync drop.

So, does sync dropping work? It can, but it's not reliable. And there's no way to guarantee which side anyone will end up on. Seems to me you would need to flood the server with dozens of guys during off peak hours to get reliable results.

#744 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 01 September 2014 - 12:15 AM

Stuck my nose back in after watching lots of popcorn worthy comments from 2 days of ignoring this and Escef asked a question worth responding to. Good on ya.

[color=#959595]Sync Dropping: Does it Work? Without doing any math with arbitrary numbers pulled out of thin air, can we know?[/color]

I don't have hard numbers but generally speaking depending on what mechs we drop in, 40 people can scatter over 7 different matches with numbers as low as 1 (yes multiple times you get nothing) and up to 6-7 on occasion spread between the sides with no clue as to who you will be with. We drop into the same com channel and have at each other. If the colonel's in channel, the guys are trying to kill him for bonus activity points on our website. Its something we do for fun. We don't care about coordination. We're in channel talking and having fun. A few father son teams are having more fun competing with each other than actually winning.

PGI has not taken us up on any of our offers to have them survey the situation even though we've invited them to join us.

It's not reliable. It's a crap shoot and it's balanced elo so nobody's getting an artificial boost. Coms isn't helping because the enemy team is in coms with us. It's just more fun than Stomptown.

#745 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 01 September 2014 - 01:57 AM

38 pages of round and round. Its a non issue if some are to be believed except its such a non issue its gone 38 pages in a short time.
I would like to personally thank those who have spent 38 pages defending a non issue. You guys do a thankless job. Well the synch droppers (imaginary) thank you I am sure.

Maybe after 38 pages PGI will comment on their position over this.

Like SC says for most people its pretty clear. Solo means solo. Attempting to get around this whether real or imagined is skirting the rules and certainly the intent of splitting ques. Not real hard to understand unless you have a horse in the race you need to defend.

And yes I am a disabled vet. I fired real guns in real combat and took a blast to the head. My vision comes and goes. Somedays i can play well others i cant. Not going to cripple a team carrying me on my bad days so I stay solo. Sorry it bothers you that its the case but I have earned my right to exist with blood and my right to give my opinion.

Its a game, not life or death so there is absolutely no reason for anyone to think that fair play should be abandoned for the sake of competition or profit in an imaginary world. Maybe spend some time spotting yourself when people are really trying to kill you and you will see how silly and weak willed it is to chase advantage in a GAME.

#746 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 01 September 2014 - 02:56 AM

So as has been illustrated in the other threads on the forums discussing it, you want solo to mean "NO GROUP PLAYERS ALLOWED ON PAIN OF DEATH. KEEP OWT THIS MEENZ U!". Then there's no chance of deliberate or accidental sync dropping. if you have a group tag, you'd be banned from the queue essentially. That's what I'm seeing time and time and time again across half a dozen threads it seems.

You and your torch bearing crowd of pitchfork handlers are demanding the entire solo queue for yourself and all those evil groups can be in their own queue together. A total divorce between those who join groups and those who can't/won't/don't.

It may not be a desire you will admit to, but I don't see a functional or practical difference of what you think you want and this. And perpetuating the 'no gurlz treefort style" of game is not a winning business model

Edited by Kjudoon, 01 September 2014 - 02:57 AM.

#747 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:06 AM

Just wow. I don't get what is so hard to understand. When I drop with a group small or large its in group que. When solo I drop solo. Thems be the rules in simple English.

When you attempt to drop with a group small or large you exploiting a flaw in the system.

Like wearing a dress to get in the girls locker room. Your not what you appear to be and are taking advantage by fraud.

#748 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:08 AM

Thanks for confirming what I suspected. Solo = no unit members allowed.

This kiddie treefort mentality is beyond silly, but definitely not amusing. I can see why after 38 pages and about a half dozen other threads, direct invites... PGI has ignored this. It has no standing.

#749 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:35 AM

View PostKjudoon, on 01 September 2014 - 03:08 AM, said:

Thanks for confirming what I suspected. Solo = no unit members allowed.

This kiddie treefort mentality is beyond silly, but definitely not amusing. I can see why after 38 pages and about a half dozen other threads, direct invites... PGI has ignored this. It has no standing.

Where did I ever say no unit members allowed? Your making stuff up to move the goalposts.

Sorry you cannot grasp the difference between group and solo.. Most anyone else can. Seems those hell bent on exploiting a flaw will remain brick walls to common sense.

#750 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:08 AM

View PostbobF, on 31 August 2014 - 10:45 PM, said:

No.

I'm arguing that sync dropping, if it even really happens with the alarming frequency the OP claims, has had zero effect on my play in the solo queue (as someone who actually plays regularly in said queue) and therefore this thread is just an exercise in the time-honored and thickly neckbearded tradition of online citizen policing. No different than the guy who threatens to report you in chat for swearing, points it out in the eula, quotes a dev, and emails support about it. And ultimately just as relevant.

So basically your logic is that since it doesn't bother you, then it shouldn't bother any one. Also, anyone that disagrees with you is <insert insult here>.

Wow, very mature. Please stop trying to help. We don't need or want your attitude here.

View PostMudhutwarrior, on 01 September 2014 - 01:57 AM, said:

38 pages of round and round. Its a non issue if some are to be believed except its such a non issue its gone 38 pages in a short time.
I would like to personally thank those who have spent 38 pages defending a non issue. You guys do a thankless job. Well the synch droppers (imaginary) thank you I am sure.

Did it ever occur to you that we think it's nonsense, and if you get your way it would hurt the game or impact how we play even if we don't engage in said activity?

One doesn't have to engage in an activity, or even support it, to be opposed to sanctions on it. I oppose murder, but I don't think killing everyone who hits someone else as a method of getting rid of murderers is a good idea.

Maybe after 38 pages PGI will comment on their position over this.

Like SC says for most people its pretty clear. Solo means solo. Attempting to get around this whether real or imagined is skirting the rules and certainly the intent of splitting ques. Not real hard to understand unless you have a horse in the race you need to defend.

Again, doesn't have to be the horse you think it is. Maybe I am just defending my right to sell ice cream at the race?

And yes I am a disabled vet. I fired real guns in real combat and took a blast to the head. My vision comes and goes. Somedays i can play well others i cant. Not going to cripple a team carrying me on my bad days so I stay solo. Sorry it bothers you that its the case but I have earned my right to exist with blood and my right to give my opinion.

If, and I do mean if, this is true, then I take back any cracks or insults about you related to vision. It wasn't exactly sporting of me to start with, but this would make it over the top. As to crippling a team, the right group wouldn't feel that way.

Its a game, not life or death so there is absolutely no reason for anyone to think that fair play should be abandoned for the sake of competition or profit in an imaginary world. Maybe spend some time spotting yourself when people are really trying to kill you and you will see how silly and weak willed it is to chase advantage in a GAME.

Same reasons as in the real world, only with less consequences, both to keep and toss ethics.

Weak willed? Hardly. It's a game, can't say that makes it meaningless and then attach meaning to it.

I have limited play time, so yes I take advantage of situations on occasion. Found a AFK/Disco? Yes I know the "right" thing to do is take a head shot and move on, but unless the game is really close, I will usually take the time to dismember it to maximize the XP/C-bill reward.

Does that make me weak willed? Or just a busy guy who wants to minimize the time spent in a mech I plan to sell as soon as I finish the pilot skills?

#751 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:16 AM

I'll believe that when I see a DD-214. About 1% of US citizens serve, but about 55% of people on the internet is a Seal, Cav Scout, green beret, et al.

#752 bobF

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:53 AM

View PostNick Makiaveli, on 01 September 2014 - 07:08 AM, said:

So basically your logic is that since it doesn't bother you, then it shouldn't bother any one. Also, anyone that disagrees with you is <insert insult here>.

Wow, very mature. Please stop trying to help. We don't need or want your attitude here.

No, my logic is that it's a complete non-issue, and that there's just 38 pages here of whining school girls in grown men's bodies lamenting how this non-issue "ruins" gameplay for a game mode the same crying kids never regularly play. And no, it shouldn't bother anyone. Like I said, bored players with skill running meta builds are just as disruptive, so the "unfairness" factor you people want to highlight, as if hordes of pro players are sync dropping, leaving piles of dead nub robots behind (not actually happening btw) is just some sad emotional nerd argument.

As for what you want or need, I obviously don't care. Stop shedding those first world tears for the sake of qq'ing on the forums, and I'll stop calling you people out.

#753 Green Mamba

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 1,659 posts
  • LocationNC,United States

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:03 AM

I can't believe with all the other Balance and Game Play Issues this game has, this thread is still going on

#754 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:16 AM

I can't believe that people are so bad they need to sync drop in the solo queue to avoid fighting other groups.

#755 Carrie Harder

Clone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • LocationCarrying pugs up Mount Tryhard

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:17 AM

I can't believe it's not butter!

#756 bobF

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:22 AM

I can't believe the people so pro in group cant handle the madness in solo queue. git gud.

#757 A banana in the tailpipe

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,705 posts
  • Locationbehind your mech

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:25 AM

I can't believe how many people fall for a banana in the tail pipe.

#758 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:32 AM

I cant believe they havnt made players in queues drop in their own faction and ai mechs take up the open spots.

#759 KraftySOT

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:37 AM

I cant believe people drop money on this crap.

#760 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 12:02 PM

View PostbobF, on 01 September 2014 - 11:22 AM, said:

I can't believe the people so pro in group cant handle the madness in solo queue. git gud.

So, to clarify, by "the madness" you mean people sync dropping in the solo queue so they can play in groups against solo players and not in groups against groups? Is that "the madness" you're referring to?

Because people keep trying to use euphemisms to avoid calling it what it is.

Edited by MischiefSC, 01 September 2014 - 12:03 PM.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users