Challenges Bring Out The Worst In Players...

Achievements Balance

63 replies to this topic

#21 Hagoromo Gitsune

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationLuthien, Draconic Combine, outscirts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:21 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 08 September 2014 - 02:15 AM, said:

Your Character was ... Hungry! ;)

Cool story. No, no, no. Just... there was my favorite doughnuts in dat fridge.

Posted Image

Edited by Hagoromo Gitsune, 08 September 2014 - 02:22 AM.

#22 -Natural Selection-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,631 posts
  • Locationdirty south

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:31 AM

I know I had a couple "wtf are you guys doing" moments this weekend. I do not feel good about it, but when someone says "we are going B3" and 8 guys go there and the other lance goes 4 different directions you have to ask.. They were coordinated enough to find 3 others and group up, but seemed to end there lol.

As far as lrms? Yea, we did it and knocked out the challenge quick with 2 narc lights 2 lrm mediums. But tonight some of us that we done grouped up for a 10 man. 3 or 4 ecm, lights a swarming, brawlers a brawling and full steam ahead zerg rushing a sea of running lurm boats. Each mech even had a flamer for added shock and awe. It was brilliant chaos lol.

#23 DaZur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 08 September 2014 - 03:18 AM

View PostAresye, on 08 September 2014 - 12:15 AM, said:

Please...don't make me laugh.

You wanted to leave the solo queue in order to do the challenge. You got bum rushed by coordinated teams and/or large premades that coordinated Narc, LRM, and ECM usage. You know...actual teamwork.

Don't jump in the deep end if you don't know how to swim.

And yes, considering CW is geared to be around actual teams and factions fighting it out in coordinated gameplay, this challenge is but a small taste of the competitiveness that will surround CW.

LOL!

Really?... You qualifying the zerg rush and the LRM flood as "teamwork / tactics"?

Okay, sure... They were a mouse fart above running in circles and firing aimlessly... That said, that's not "tactical response", that's coordinated thuggary.

On the occasion I play with the RMA or the LAW, they actually execute proper flanks, kill boxes and coordinated focus fire... That kind of stuff is finesse-level tactics.

Zerg rushes and spamming Narc/TAG is pure unadulterated garbage game-play with absolutely zero redeeming effort applied... <_<

Edited by DaZur, 08 September 2014 - 03:19 AM.

#24 Remarius

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 820 posts
  • LocationBrighton, England

Posted 08 September 2014 - 04:41 AM

View PostCavendish, on 07 September 2014 - 11:25 PM, said:

Totaly my own opinion based on my experience of playing in a group for a long time:

I think that this comes from that most people playing in groups simply do not use LRMs. They are normaly easy to counter for a coordinated team by ECM/AMS umbrellas. While AMS is a bit rare in group play, the ECM is a fundamental element and as we have seen this weekend it is an effective counter to the LRMs.

This weekend on the other hand has made most people put on the LRM/NARC boots due to how points are calculated, and that is why you see a huge frigging mass of missiles fly overhead blotting out the sun. Even with 3-4 ECM per team, there has (for once) been an abundant use of NARC to knock out the enemy ECM mechs which has been intresting (you do not regularly see NARC in group play either).

All in all, no LRMs are usualy not a problem in group queue, this challange sorta forced a change to this and things will be back to normal when its over.

As a side note, the few times I played my regular Kit Fox this weekend I was suprised that not even 6-8.000 AMS ammo was enough to last in some of the matches, and I think the 3 AMS systems on my mech need to be replaced due to wear and tear lol.

I quite frequently almost made it through 3.5 tons of AMS ammo with an overloaded triple AMS setup. Was worth it totally and very satisfying to just see everything exploding in the air. ;)

Edited by Remarius, 08 September 2014 - 04:42 AM.

#25 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 08 September 2014 - 05:45 AM

View PostRemarius, on 08 September 2014 - 04:41 AM, said:

I quite frequently almost made it through 3.5 tons of AMS ammo with an overloaded triple AMS setup. Was worth it totally and very satisfying to just see everything exploding in the air. ;)

In this challenge I have also ran out of:
AMS ammo...
And LRM ammo...
And AC20 ammo.

In fact in 3 years of play I have never ran out of ammo till now! :huh:

#26 Willard Phule

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 08 September 2014 - 06:00 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 08 September 2014 - 05:45 AM, said:

In this challenge I have also ran out of:
AMS ammo...
And LRM ammo...
And AC20 ammo.

In fact in 3 years of play I have never ran out of ammo till now! :huh:

What gets me is the complete drop in player quality over the weekend. Everyone that knows how to move forward is in the group queue, leaving us with the worst players...EVER...in the solo queue.

#27 Jaxom Adar

Rookie

• Mercenary
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 06:02 AM

I actually got some really great lancemates during this. I have more friends in my list now than I did before it. As for the LRMs I don't every seem to get the matches all the time that make so many cry about them. With proper use of cover and ecm I never seem to have that issue.

I also didnt run into the horrible "tryhards" or if I did they didn't seem rude to us newbies. Maybe its just the attitude I have towards a game and don't get super worked up over it.

In the end I liked this event and feel it helped get the community more inclusive for the typical solo players that may not want to join guilds.

#28 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 06:04 AM

View PostWillard Phule, on 08 September 2014 - 06:00 AM, said:

What gets me is the complete drop in player quality over the weekend. Everyone that knows how to move forward is in the group queue, leaving us with the worst players...EVER...in the solo queue.

I'll be back Tuesday! :lol:

#29 nehebkau

• 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 08 September 2014 - 06:07 AM

View PostDaZur, on 07 September 2014 - 10:26 PM, said:

Interesting social experiment these challenges are... Nothing like a few free buables to be handed out by PGI to magnify our human nature to be selfish douches. :rolleyes:

What makes it truly interesting is the fact that these challenges are a glancing look into gaping maw of an abyss called "community warefare".

I dunno... maybe I've been rendered hypersensitive by this challenge but if this is a microcosm of CW, I'm of the mind to tell PGI they are welcome to keep it.

At least in casual PUG games and friendly team play, there is a sense of decorum and rudimentary application of basic battlefield tactics... All I saw tonight was blob bum-rush thuggary and Narc-LRM spam of the likes I've never seen...

Not even going to mention the absolute rude / ruthless commentary shared within the match.

wow... :blink:

You know, it really only takes one nasty, rude mouthy player to ruin the experience for everyone. That vitriol seems to poison all the people around them and then those players carry it into the next game. I wish PGI would have a toggle to turn on, or off, chat coming from individual players -- maybe one that displays in chat "<Katrina Steiner has muted you>"

#30 Fut

• Moderate Giver
  • 1,969 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 08 September 2014 - 06:16 AM

This was my observation as well.
Normally I only play in the Solo Queue, a good 95% of the time. The Solo Queue is normally pretty good, you get the few people who are clearly new, but for the most part you can find people to work with during the fight.

Anyhow, this weekend the challenge was running and everybody must have been in the Group Queue. Solo Pugging was absolutely horrible. There were matches where we dropped, our lances formed up, and we all just sat there waiting...and waiting. Playing Solo on Friday evening was a nightmare, full of nothing but punishment.

Saturday, however, was a totally different story. A buddy of mine jumped onto MWO, so we formed a 2-man group and dropped in the Group Queue. Was like a totally different game! People were actually playing like they knew what they were doing!
We spent the rest of the afternoon as a 2-man, had a blast. It's just too bad that it didn't count towards the challenge.

#31 Dracol

• The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 2,539 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 08 September 2014 - 06:17 AM

Enjoyed running 4mans again. Nocked out my teir 1 challenge with a 4 man lance setup to be fast attackers, with a little ecm, that hunted LRM boats. Why LRMers feel they can get away with no back-up weapons I will never know.

#32 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 06:21 AM

View PostDracol, on 08 September 2014 - 06:17 AM, said:

Enjoyed running 4mans again. Nocked out my teir 1 challenge with a 4 man lance setup to be fast attackers, with a little ecm, that hunted LRM boats. Why LRMers feel they can get away with no back-up weapons I will never know.

I got the back up weapon!

#33 Hagoromo Gitsune

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationLuthien, Draconic Combine, outscirts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 06:36 AM

No, it means that game this weekend turned into: - Houli kræp.

Houli kræp (noun) - An unbelievable, intense moment of action involving daring feats, wicked stunts and of course... lots of lasers and explosions.

Edited by Hagoromo Gitsune, 08 September 2014 - 06:46 AM.

#34 xeromynd

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 08 September 2014 - 06:44 AM

View PostCavendish, on 07 September 2014 - 10:44 PM, said:

Intresting, for me the experience has been a polar opposite of yours.

Teamwork instead of lone long-range snipers. The forced 4 man team has improved coordination between lances and within them. Lots of NARC and LRMs, this is true, but since you can plan ahead for it with plenty of AMS, AMS ammo, at least one ECM mech and so on, it has been more of a "thinking mans FPS" then I have seen in the game for the last 2 years. No desperate rushes to "steal" kills for cheap points, instead people playing more tactical since assist are more valuable.... list goes on.

Sorry to hear that you did not enjoy it :(

(PS. I think PGI should have offered a solo version of this challange. In the future all challanges should have both a team version and a solo version to cater to all their players in my view.)

Have to agree, sorry to hear that OP had a bad time with this challenge. I've meet nothing but courteous mechwarriors thusfar in the challenge.

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 08 September 2014 - 06:21 AM, said:

Would it not be advantageous to drop a half ton of armor and C.A.S.E. up a side torso. Move AMS ammo up and LRM ammo down, and stick some ammo in the head, and put heatsinks in the engine?

#35 Cerlin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 922 posts
  • LocationCalifornia or Japan

Posted 08 September 2014 - 06:45 AM

I have the complete opposite view of the OP; The weekend in group queue was great for me. The best rounds I had were on Comstar NA with a random group of guys, we all did direct fire and ECM mechs and just rolled all over the other teams for hours. Hard pushing assaults are still super powered. We encountered a lot of LRMS but if you push into them with enough force they are much less effective.

Overall, the team cooperation was very good. Teams worked together when people communicated. There was pressure to actually assist and not kill steal. I really enjoyed the rules compared to last time.

With my unit mates I also partook in LRM tossing a bit too, and it is powerful but only when concentrated and when the other team chooses to stay at range in the open. Some maps its great like Alpine or Caustic, but many others it does not work that well.

#36 Dracol

• The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 2,539 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 08 September 2014 - 06:55 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 08 September 2014 - 06:21 AM, said:

Nice

#37 Apnu

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,083 posts
  • LocationMidWest

Posted 08 September 2014 - 07:15 AM

This lance challenge has been great for House Davion (At least on our TS server of HHoD, FSAC, C4 and other excellent units).

Its been a long time, since Closed Beta, since I've see so many full rooms of 4 with people looking for pilots, any pilots, to group up with and having a blast.

Yes we're all sending UAVs, TAGs and NARC on the field with LRM boats. In games, its also promoted some good in-game chat communication and its been fun rolling with other teams. I've fought with and against, BEER, QQ, Goons, Seriphs, -GK- and had a fine time.

I've also noticed this challenge has promoted a general aggressive, bold and frantic pace to games. I've not seen that in a long time. I've watched and been a part of many teams charging up the H-line on Alpine and crushing the enemy at the top of the hill. In the past, teams held the top of that hill due to the other team's timidness and risk aversion. Not so anymore.

Sure I've seen some and been on some bad teams. I've been LURM'd to death a few times. I've also been trolled by Gauss-PPC Direwhales too. But I'm not complaining. For the most part this has been the most fun challenge yet.

If you're in a unit, its been a gift. If you're a solo pug, you're out in the cold. I'd have to check, I'm not sure how its helped HHoD with recruitment, but for inter-unit play, for combined arms with fellow Davion units, its been amazing.

#38 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 07:22 AM

Dropped with and against all the same groups and even the Smoke Jaguars. Yes it is nice to see "teams" in a team oriented game again.

I've read some good natured heckling that has been sorely missed.

View Postxeromynd, on 08 September 2014 - 06:44 AM, said:

Have to agree, sorry to hear that OP had a bad time with this challenge. I've meet nothing but courteous mechwarriors thusfar in the challenge.

Would it not be advantageous to drop a half ton of armor and C.A.S.E. up a side torso. Move AMS ammo up and LRM ammo down, and stick some ammo in the head, and put heatsinks in the engine?

I slapped that together Off the top of my head so locations may not be accurate... CASE... Why bother? There is no cost for not having it, and by the time an enemy has reached me I have often thrown enough hurt that dying is not a problem to the team.

#39 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:02 AM

View PostFut, on 08 September 2014 - 06:16 AM, said:

This was my observation as well.
Normally I only play in the Solo Queue, a good 95% of the time. The Solo Queue is normally pretty good, you get the few people who are clearly new, but for the most part you can find people to work with during the fight.

Anyhow, this weekend the challenge was running and everybody must have been in the Group Queue. Solo Pugging was absolutely horrible. There were matches where we dropped, our lances formed up, and we all just sat there waiting...and waiting. Playing Solo on Friday evening was a nightmare, full of nothing but punishment.

Saturday, however, was a totally different story. A buddy of mine jumped onto MWO, so we formed a 2-man group and dropped in the Group Queue. Was like a totally different game! People were actually playing like they knew what they were doing!
We spent the rest of the afternoon as a 2-man, had a blast. It's just too bad that it didn't count towards the challenge.

You have WAY more perserverance than I do.

Luckily for me, Friday is gaming night (grown up geeks, Pathfinder and LOTS of beer), so I missed out on everything past 1300. Saturday morning was SO bad, I just gave up and played Pathfinder Online's Alpha. Tried again Sunday morning for about an hour and just gave up.

The sad part is that it's still as bad today. Or, at least, so far it is.

#40 Dimento Graven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:24 AM

I absolutely enjoyed this challenge.

It was far and above the best challenge ever provided.

There was plenty of lance coordination and you could tell that people were actually "THINKING" about what they were doing, not just rushing to the spot the herd typically moves to, to wait and pew-pew the herd on the opposite side.

This was an awesome challenge, it fostered more TEAM PLAY than ANY of the previous challenges.

Even the solo queue was better, with a notable lack of people jumping in front of you to try and steal kills, or try and shoot THROUGH you to steal the kill.

Those of you complaining about the NARC/LRM phenomenon, yeah, I understand, it was frustrating. It required more THOUGHT and COOPERATION with the other 8 people on your team to circumvent and over come, and if you're not used to that sort of thing... Well, it takes time.

PGI, DEFNITELY MORE OF THESE TYPES OF CHALLENGES PLEASE!!!

As far as making challenges available to the stubborn, recalcitrant, obstinate, uncooperative, anti-social die hard soloists... Feh, this IS a team based game, c'mon guys make an effort, you might find a group of people JUST LIKE YOU, to play with and the game REALLY IS that much more enjoyable when played with friends.

Oh and to those of you complaining about the 'try hards'... Seriously? Is this what the 'participation award' generation has come to? You have to speak ill/make fun of those who are trying as hard as they can to WIN?

I guess I'm just not as used to losing as you are, I'll never, N E V E R enjoy losing as much as I enjoy winning, and I'll A L W A Y S "try hard" to win.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users