370 replies to this topic

#161 Scratx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:34 PM

View PostCoffiNail, on 08 September 2014 - 02:32 PM, said:

Can you? I mean... you could have a good market with two stlyed F2P MW based game. If you went around and fixed the flaws on it. Man, you could have MW fans in for a good roll.

^this

I am not sure PGI wouldn't be better off starting from scratch if they were to delve into that genre. Besides, I far prefer MWO's mech designs to those... things... in MWT.

And IGP probably still owns the rights to MWT anyway. The big question is, does PGI have the rights to the Mechwarrior IP, aside from the particular case of MWT ? Inquiring minds want to know! :)

#162 Russ Bullock

President

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 909 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:36 PM

Okay done posting in this thread. Look forward to seeing you tonight at the town hall.

#163 Darth Futuza

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:39 PM

View PostRuss Bullock, on 08 September 2014 - 02:36 PM, said:

Okay done posting in this thread. Look forward to seeing you tonight at the town hall.

Thanks for communicating.

#164 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:40 PM

View PostScratx, on 08 September 2014 - 02:34 PM, said:

I am not sure PGI wouldn't be better off starting from scratch if they were to delve into that genre. Besides, I far prefer MWO's mech designs to those... things... in MWT.

And IGP probably still owns the rights to MWT anyway. The big question is, does PGI have the rights to the Mechwarrior IP, aside from the particular case of MWT ? Inquiring minds want to know! :)

Until at least 2018, per last winter's State of the Inner Sphere, yes.

As to commitment to the brand I have some news to share with the community that honestly we hadn’t decided yet on how or when we were going to announce it, so let me share it with you here now. On Nov 8th 2013 PGI and Microsoft finalized negotiations on an extension to PGI’s MechWarrior license. Whereas before our license ran out mid 2015 we are now ensured rights until mid-2018 and also if certain criteria is met will have until mid-2020 to continue to develop MechWarrior products including MWO. Needless to say this was something I had been working on for a very long time, Microsoft is very happy about how the MechWarrior brand is being re-invigorated with the new art work and gameplay advances. This extended license deal gives PGI many of the assurances we were looking for to justify continuing to spend large amounts of development funds on the game, we know we now have the runway to make the investment logical.

#165 LauLiao

• 1,591 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:40 PM

View PostScratx, on 08 September 2014 - 02:34 PM, said:

Only partially I'm guessing. PGI never had for example, the rights to a Mechwarrior browser game, which is why MWT was developed completely separately. They also couldn't say create a mobile game. As far as I know their license begins and ends at MWO.

#166 Prezimonto

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 2,017 posts
  • LocationKufstein FRR

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:42 PM

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. There have been a pile of decisions over the last several years that have been bad, and had the tone giant corporate marketing tool stamped all over them. Also, communication has been better in the last few months. Here's to hoping things will pick up the pace. Plus, maybe the new game with be robbed of funds to develop MWO in a nice bootstrap fashion.

#167 Nemesis Duck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:43 PM

Congratulations!

#168 CycKath

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,578 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

That definitely explains the hosting changes...

#169 Wolf Clearwater

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 571 posts
  • LocationOn your 6...

I know your done posting here Russ, but I have not seen anyone from PGI respond to the community like this in sometime. Good on you. I hope this means that MWO moves forward in a smoother more efficient manner. Keep up solid communication with us, it means a lot to community confidence. Cheers.

#170 Tombstoner

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,193 posts

This is actuatly some really great news. I wonder how much focus on mechs was driven by that relationship. but not being able to do waht you think is best for the servers is probably the best thing to come out of this change.

#171 9erRed

• Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:45 PM

Greetings all,

If IGP was the publisher and controlled aspects through that channel, with PGI now assuming and fully operating this offering, are you now branching into publishing your own material?

Good show with the acquisition, now just need to redo the deal with Microsoft.
- Will this mean better or different licencing opportunities for the BattleTech material?
- Or still only licenced/entitled to the electronic media?
(looking at those great PGI T-shirts.)

9erRed

#172 I c a r u s

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:47 PM

I am so very excited to see the ongoing direction. This game has limitless potential given some serious artistic freedom. Come back to us PGI.. we do love you.

#173 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:47 PM

What would make this news better would be if all players named "Dawnstealer" could get the Urbanmech, Hatchetman, Zeus, Cyclops, and King Crab.

*runs to check mechlab*

#174 Knight_Invictus

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 89 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:49 PM

OUTSTANDING!

#175 LegioIV

• PipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 33 posts
  • Location66th Avalon hussars.

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:50 PM

View PostTombstoner, on 08 September 2014 - 02:43 PM, said:

This is actuatly some really great news. I wonder how much focus on mechs was driven by that relationship. but not being able to do waht you think is best for the servers is probably the best thing to come out of this change.

One can hope but don't forget Piranha Games are making another game now as well. Sounds to me they are Effectively splitting their forces. We can hope this will streamline the amount of work done, to lead us to get REAL com warfare.

http://www.incgamers...game-on-tuesday

#176 9erRed

• Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:51 PM

Greetings all,

This will mean that PGI now needs to build the complete 'in-house' facilities that IGP was handling. All marketing, promotion, customer service, server service and control.

- Big step, but a least now funding will be directed straight back into MWO and not have to be 'rationed' between two locations and offices.

9erRed

#177 Darth Futuza

• 1,239 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:55 PM

Just thought I'd point out the link to feedback in Russ's original post seems to be broken: http://mwomercs.com/...46#entry3700846

#178 Monsoon

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,631 posts
  • LocationToronto, On aka Kathil

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:58 PM

Glad to hear it, too many cooks in the kitchen can spoil the stew. Now it's time to take it up a notch! Mandelbaum, Mandelbaum, Mandelbaum!

#179 LordDread

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 212 posts
  • LocationMelbourne Australia

Posted 08 September 2014 - 03:12 PM

Well now your on show for all to see.

Is PGi really useless, or was it IGP bringing the game down, the next few months will prove that finally i guess.

#180 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 08 September 2014 - 03:15 PM

Does this mean the servers might be moved from Montreal to Vancouver?

As someone who lives on the West Coast that would be a welcome change. My ping is ALWAYS, ALWAYS in the 90s in this game.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users